• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Sports updated their top 50 NBA players list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never say he's a 1 trick pony, but I do think people are severely stuck in the moment when it comes to him. He's not doing anything at the rim that John wall or Kyrie aren't doing. He's just a lights out shooter which we haven't seen in a while. To that degree. And were still in awe of it because I mean it's amazing. It it also skews our vision

And we saw what a good defense could do to him last finals. It's just this year that's impossible to do because the warriors also have Kevin Durant. So once again he's going to be inflated because defenses just can't stop that fire power

That's objectively false though lol. You can look at the percentages. Just because you think of him one way doesn't mean it's true. Contested at the rim, if you look at the percentages, Curry is better. Period.

And have you seen some of these ridiculous lay ups he gets? John Wall is cool but he's not the scorer Curry is on any level.

We didn't see what a good defense could do against Curry he just fell off after multiple injuries in the playoffs. And on top of that he STILL opens the floor up for everyone just by stepping on the floor.

Dwight Howard is scrub... I would not put him in over Russel Westbrook. How can you include Durant in the top 25, and Westbrook can't get top 50. That's some shade.

John Stockton... maybe if he averaged more than 13 points a game, his team might have beaten Chicago back in the day. No way should he be above someone like A I.

Ray Allen should be higher just for that one shot, in the context of how we think of Lebron as a 3 time champion, today... I mean the list rated Lebron 2 ffs.

His defense has regressed and he doesn't create for others. He's been an uber efficient scorer this season but less so than Westbrook, a player who actually can create for others.

I wouldn't say it's regressed at all. His defense is so good that teams were actively playing 4on4 basketball and just taking Kawhi's player out of the plays. Here is a good article on it. http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...at-at-defense-hes-actually-hurting-the-spurs/
Although recently it seems the Spurs have figured out how to deal with that, to an extent.

And what? He's been more efficient than Westbrook this year. Westrbook averages 5 or 6 more points but Kawhi has a better 3pt shooting percentage and overall shooting percentage and plays less minutes. Then there is defense.

Delusional

Only thing delusional is ignoring defensive play!

Iverson was inefficient as fuck. He was amazing to watch, but I think if you give me the choice of Iverson or Paul/Nash/Kidd for their entire careers, I probably take the latter guys.

Man sports really brings out some stupid arguments.

If you think kobe is better than maybe 8th at best then you're straight delusional. If you think he's better than LeBron you're an idiot.

I'd agree that kaj is arguably better than LeBron but I think we can agree that with mj those are the top 3.

Also some people here are being so stupid with their use of stats that it's ridiculous. Like posting LeBrons numbers against Oscar's without context like pace, and regular season vs playoffs, is just insane.

LeBron haters continue to be the least informed fans in sports.

theWB27

Yeah, but not as big as Nick Anderson at the free throw line.

Has one moment ever destroyed a career as much as Nick?

If you think kobe is better than maybe 8th at best then you're straight delusional. If you think he's better than LeBron you're an idiot.

I'd agree that kaj is arguably better than LeBron but I think we can agree that with mj those are the top 3.

Also some people here are being so stupid with their use of stats that it's ridiculous. Like posting LeBrons numbers against Oscar's without context like pace, and regular season vs playoffs, is just insane.

"If I call them idiots they'll buckle and think my opinion is in fact a Fact!"

His defense has regressed and he doesn't create for others. He's been an uber efficient scorer this season but less so than Westbrook, a player who actually can create for others.

gdi i'm awful with basketball reference, but i swear kawhi is back to his old defensive self

i just don't got the receipts to prove it

Lebron doesn't budge Wilt from #2 yet imo

Either you agree that Wilt is fucking broken or u think he just did what he did against a bunch of white 5'9 boys. Either way we never agree :p

Bron over Wilt is not even close IMO. Bron doesn't have the cartoon number statline (the 100 point, 50 rebound shit, which were as much a product of the era) but his career is already unprecedented. He's in his 14th year and hasn't missed a beat. His numbers are right in line with his career best, and if anything he's even more efficient. Guys, especially perimeter oriented guys, are not supposed to do this. Outside of Kareem there's probably never really been anything like it. LeBron is legitimately one of the greatest athletes in the history of sport.

datruth29

I have issues ranking players who aren't even past there prime yet in a ranking list, so I disagree with the positions of people like Kawaii and Curry. While they are amazing and definitely should be in a Top 50 list if they can show case that skill set for a long period of time.

Lebron however, is definitely top 3 at this point. He's 32 and doesn't even look close to done. The East has been dominated by any team he's been on for over a decade, he has several titles under his belt with the last one being the most impressive. At his current rate, he's going to finish Top 3 for all time in Assists, Points, and Rebounds. I really can't see how he doesn't get rated Top 3. His career is better than Bird's at this point, and Bird is easily a Top 10 player.

If you think kobe is better than maybe 8th at best then you're straight delusional. If you think he's better than LeBron you're an idiot

This this this. Talking sports can be like talking religions or politics. People just say crazy stuff man.

Anth0ny

I really don't think MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Magic and Russell > Lebron is some crazy outlandish opinion

Lebron is fucking incredible but the top 5 all time is real real good

gdi i'm awful with basketball reference, but i swear kawhi is back to his old defensive self

i just don't got the receipts to prove it

They were essentially isolating Kawhi out at the 3 point line with his opponent and playing 4on4. Recently they started letting Kawhi play off his opponent when they do that and slowly move in towards the paint, trusting him to cover the distance if they pass to his guy on the perimeter.

Has one moment ever destroyed a career as much as Nick?

"If I call them idiots they'll buckle and think my opinion is in fact a Fact!"

It's the biggest choke I've ever seen from a player. Magic were up by three, and Nick only needed to make 1 out of 4 free throws.

Bricked all of them.

I really don't think MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Magic and Russell > Lebron is some crazy outlandish opinion

Lebron is fucking incredible but the top 5 all time is real real good

I just can't see anyway Wilt and Magic are better than LeBron. Wilt was a walking Harlem Globetrotter. He intentionally padded his stats over winning. Considering the way LeBron is dissected he would have been torn apart for the way he played in the era of the 24 hour news cycle/twitter. As for Magic, LeBron does everything he does but better, and in some areas (shooting/defense) he's in another stratosphere. I don't see it, and I am a Laker fan who loves Magic. Regardless of era, if you give me the chance to build around any one player in NBA history from the time they are 18 to the time their careers end, I take LeBron every single time.

It's the biggest choke I've ever seen from a player. Magic were up by three, and Nick only needed to make 1 out of 4 free throws.

Bricked all of them.

Fun Fact: In 2 Finals series, the Magic have won 1 game in 9 tries. That 1 win doesn't happen without Rafer Alston putting all the sliders up in his 2K settings.

Oscar's not better than the guys ranked above him. The triple double thing inflates his reputation .

Well, to be fair, if you were to rank NBA players by impact on the game, George Mikan, Russel, Wilt, Robertson, Magic+Bird, and Jordan would be the undisputed GOATs. Oscar Robertson is the dude that made free agency a thing

They were essentially isolating Kawhi out at the 3 point line with his opponent and playing 4on4. Recently they started letting Kawhi play off his opponent when they do that and slowly move in towards the paint, trusting him to cover the distance if they pass to his guy on the perimeter.

That moment when you're so damn good at defense that teams will take out their best scorers to play 4v4.

Kawhi rips the balls out of players' hands so disrespectfully.

theWB27

Bricked all of them.

He was terrified up there.

"Kobe to Shaq" singlehandly destroyed those Trailblazers and their run.

Single player? I can think of one in basketball.

From being one win from the finals to being bounced in 3 in the first round the next year.

From being one win from the finals to being bounced in 3 in the first round the next year.

Yep. The only thing I regret about us winning that series was Pippen didn't get to win one without Jeffrey and Phil.

Could you imagine if Pippen finished with 7 to Jeff's 6? Lawd.

FZZ

Banned
LeBron 3 for me rn

most likely will end his career at 1a 1b with Jordan tho

I am a diehard Laker fan

KOBE IS NOT TOP 5

not even top 10 tbh

The disrespect on the Mamba..I mean I'm a blazer fan so fuck him but still..the man has to be top 5

Over?
Jordan? No
Kareem? No
Lebron? No
Wilt? No
Magic? No
Bird? No

I am being generous, EXTREMELY generous when I say he is only questionably possibly ranking over Russell, Hakeem, Shaq, Oscar, etc. The stuff at the bottom of the list, middle of the list, is always tough. Kobe in the top 10 is the worst part of the list.

Throwing up 3 balls. He's really good at it but as far as PG's go he would not be ahead of any of these guys:

Magic
Stockton
Kidd
Payton
Zeke
Oscar
Nash
West

He only averaged over 8 assists one time in his career.

Nash and Stockton themselves would struggle to average as many assists in a GSW or 2014 Spurs type system.

That entire team is meant to pass the ball around. Yeah, he's not a crazy assist maker like Harden, LBJ, or Paul for this season, but he will also have deflated assist stats because that entire team is meant to touch the ball and because he gets to sit so many more 4th quarters

Curry last year had an all time great offensive MVP season
I don't think he's close to 19 yet, but he can definitely reach it

theWB27

Yep. The only thing I regret about us winning that series was Pippen didn't get to win one without Jeffrey and Phil.

Could you imagine if Pippen finished with 7 to Jeff's 6? Lawd.

Pip's roll in the previous 6 would be diminished to the point future generations would think Jed B was more valuable during his tenure as a Bull.

nah im just trying to figure out whichever arbitrary standard you're using to boost up an inefficient chucker like kobe

My arbitrary standard is winning. Also being one of the best to ever do it at the same time. You can nitpick away anyone's game you don't like. That's fine. At the end of the day Kobe Bryant was the best player at his position for majority of his career. He won rings when people claimed it was just because of Shaq and without his so called crutch. The dude most people consider to be the GOAT does not speak an ill word of the Mamba. I'll roll with that.

Why are we arguing over a guy who couldn't win rings without getting carried by Shaq or Pau Gasol?

Kobe would have run the ball on the one.

I know that.

BTW, cdy...how'd you like that ass whooping, courtesy of the Yoo Cee Elle Ayyy bruins a couple of weeks ago? I was at that game. :)

My arbitrary standard is winning. Also being one of the best to ever do it at the same time. You can nitpick away anyone's game you don't like. That's fine. At the end of the day Kobe Bryant was the best player at his position for majority of his career. He won rings when people claimed it was just because of Shaq and without his so called crutch. The dude most people consider to be the GOAT does not speak an ill word of the Mamba. I'll roll with that.

i guess this is an alternative facts world where pau gasol didn't exist, you know the guy who literally bested kobe in ws/48 in 2009 and 2010 and was the best offensive player in the league.

if kobe played in today's nba he'd ostensibly be demar derozan. he wouldn't hold a candle to the superstars now.

Kobe Bryant

9× NBA All-Defensive First Team (2000, 2003, 2004, 2006–2011)
3× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2001, 2002, 2012)

Oh come on, after the first few, he was getting in on reputation for the most part.

Defensive teams far too often have to do with getting the reputation to begin with.

cdyhybrid

Kobe would have run the ball on the one.

I know that.

BTW, cdy...how'd you like that ass whooping, courtesy of the Yoo Cee Elle Ayyy bruins a couple of weeks ago? I was at that game. :)

I was there too! It went about how I expected, the team is just not good this year.

Fultz > Ball tho

i guess this is an alternative facts world where pau gasol didn't exist, you know the guy who literally bested kobe in ws/48 in 2009 and 2010 and was the best offensive player in the league.

if kobe played in today's nba he'd ostensibly be demar derozan. he wouldn't hold a candle to the superstars now.

Let's not be crazy now...

But yeah, anyone even trying to argue Lebron vs Kobe after last year have been living under a rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom