• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Sports updated their top 50 NBA players list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
if kobe played in today's nba he'd ostensibly be demar derozan. he wouldn't hold a candle to the superstars now.

lol@ this

A 34 year old Kobe avg 27/6/6 like 3 or 4 years ago.

Oh come on, after the first few, he was getting in on reputation for the most part.

Defensive teams far too often have to do with getting the reputation to begin with.

Ehhh What other metric do you want to take? This dude who clearly an obviously hates Bryant?

theWB27

i guess this is an alternative facts world where pau gasol didn't exist, you know the guy who literally bested kobe in ws/48 in 2009 and 2010 and was the best offensive player in the league.

if kobe played in today's nba he'd ostensibly be demar derozan. he wouldn't hold a candle to the superstars now.

And this is where I walk away. I refuse to get sucked into this nonsense.

Dwight shouldn't be there.
Paul pierce is too high.
I love AI but over Isiah?
I would not have put Steph over KD. I dont care about him being unanimous MVP. He's not even top 20 yet. How long has he been in his "prime"? 2-3 seasons? Also LeBron was the first unofficial unanimous MVP. 😒
The guys in 10-16 are top 10.1, ... , 10.6 to me. Mjcry.png

After last years finals I was almost certain Bron over wilt but my only reason being Wilt played with bum ass vs bum ass players. Reading Ninjas post convinced me it really is bron over wilt.

Dwight Howard

delete this

Lol i saw his rank and i was like.. well we're off to a great start!

lol@ this

Ehhh What other metric do you want to take? This dude who clearly an obviously hates Bryant?

I don't hate Kobe.

He's not top 10. They were people putting him over Lebron a few years ago, and it was arguable or even true, but not even close to true now

Supast4r

I don't hate Kobe.

He's not top 10. They were people putting him over Lebron a few years ago, and it was arguable or even true, but not even close to true now
Give me a reason why lebron is better. Kobe in his prime had so many 50 point per game streaks when he was on garbage teams with Smush fucking Parker.

Supast4r

Bron over Wilt is not even close IMO. Bron doesn't have the cartoon number statline (the 100 point, 50 rebound shit, which were as much a product of the era) but his career is already unprecedented. He's in his 14th year and hasn't missed a beat. His numbers are right in line with his career best, and if anything he's even more efficient. Guys, especially perimeter oriented guys, are not supposed to do this. Outside of Kareem there's probably never really been anything like it. LeBron is legitimately one of the greatest athletes in the history of sport.
Explain his god awful free throw percentage as a forward. Shit is embarrassing.

lol@ this

demar is averaging 27/5/4 and he doesn't have dwight howard, steve nash and pau gasol next to him, so maybe that demar comp is a little too generous

it's not like i hate kobe, i just like to deal in facts and statistics.

kobe's best statline was predicated on just taking a billion shots. compared with what guys like harden, isaiah thomas, kawhi and giannis are doing this season it just doesn't measure up.

Give me a reason why lebron is better. Kobe in his prime had so many 50 point per game streaks when he was on garbage teams with Smush fucking Parker.
8bd81a50eb70b4f479f5a77d891c133d.jpg

Great scorers on garbage teams got the ultimate green lights. Not hating on Kobe bu Bron passed him way back. The finals last year was just the cherry on top.

Even if you can't think of 50 players how do you arrive at Dwight Howard?

That guy was such a waste of talent. He should have been dominate from 07-12. There was no one that could physically match him, he just didn't have the desire to be anything more than a McDonald's spokesman.

bionic77

:lol Kareem @ number 5.

You can make a strong argument that he is the best high school. college and professional basketball player of all time.

This is honestly a pretty damn good list. It's always hard ranking players mid-career but they seem to have ranked all the retired players correctly more or less.

Lebron and Curry haters are just delusional at this point.

bionic77

This is honestly a pretty damn good list. It's always hard ranking players mid-career but they seem to have ranked all the retired players correctly more or less.

Lebron and Curry haters are just delusional at this point.
No one who knows anything about basketball could put anyone other than maybe Russell above Kareem. And that is only if you value championships above anything else.

There is no way he is not a top 3 player of all time. To think otherwise is just insane.

Ric Flair

Banned
So the better top 5 will probably be Mike as uno, then the next 4 in any order... Kareem, Bron, Bill, magic.

ehhh, I know his resume speaks for itself but I feel like the era he played in was the weakest compared to everyone else on the list. Do we really think he could get anywhere near 20 rebounds a game playing in the nba today?

uhh kawhi is playing dpoy level defense while also scoring 27 ppg on 60+ ts% on a team that's gonna win like 64 games

do half you whiners even watch basketball

he's having a better season than clyde drexler or jason kidd have ever had

Rbk_3

*** The next 10 in: Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, Vince Carter, Willis Reed, Wes Unseld, Dave Cowens, Bill Walton, Nate Archibald, James Worthy, James Harden, Manu Ginobili, Dennis Rodman
*** The 19 originals who fell out: Nate Archibald, Paul Arizin, Dave Bing, Dave Cowens, Billy Cunningham, Dave DeBusschere, Hal Greer, Sam Jones, Jerry Lucas, Pete Maravich, Earl Monroe, Robert Parish, Willis Reed, Bill Sharman, Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, Bill Walton, Lenny Wilkens, James Worthy

So how can he get booted from the list and be on the next 10 in list.

No one who knows anything about basketball could put anyone other than maybe Russell above Kareem. And that is only if you value championships above anything else.

There is no way he is not a top 3 player of all time. To think otherwise is just insane.
I would for sure put Kareem above Magic, it's hard to argue against Wilt though. I do agree with their top 5 overall.

bionic77

So the better top 5 will probably be Mike as uno, then the next 4 in any order... Kareem, Bron, Bill, magic.
You could not put anyone other than Russell above Kareem. And again only if you value championships above everything else.

Its amazing that how people underrate Kareem.

Thats just how the NBA is though. The same thing will happen to Lebron in another 10 years. Already happened to Kobe and Duncan.

ehhh, I know his resume speaks for itself but I feel like the era he played in was the weakest compared to everyone else on the list. Do we really think he could get anywhere near 20 rebounds a game playing in the nba today?
Nope. He wouldn't get 10 rings either. What really put me him over wilt was the rings and not much else. Put Wilt in that era and he would probably ball better than how bill did.

mjp2417

Banned

LeBron James: 27.1/7.2/7.0
Kobe Bryant: 25.0/5.2/4.7

One is clearly better than the other and these are just simple counting stats. It gets really ugly when you start looking at advanced metrics where things like efficiency matter. Kobe vs. LeBron is basically flat earth vs. round earth at this point.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Dwight hahaha

Dream at 11 is a joke

phanphare

Banned
LeBron James: 27.1/7.2/7.0
Kobe Bryant: 25.0/5.2/4.7

One is clearly better than the other and these are just simple counting stats. It gets really ugly when you start looking at advanced metrics where things like efficiency matter. Kobe vs. LeBron is basically flat earth vs. round earth at this point.

a flat earth truther put the cavs on his back to save them from losing in the finals so maybe you're on to something

Anticol

Banned
CP3 ahead of Stockton? Seriously is this a joke? Kareem at 5??? And Dwight in the list at all? Who made this list? Holy crap, Hakeem is way too low too. Terrible list, I can't see how somebody would agree with this list at all, not even Dwight Howard would take this list as anything else than a joke.

50 point games is not a good metric to determine who is better. Efficiency, usage and FG% matter. Every GM past, present and future of presented with the opportunity would taken LeBron over Kobe every day of the week. There is no dimension where Kobe Bryant is a better basketball player than LeBron James, and saying so only serves to expose your very limited knowledge of the sport. It's like saying Chris Davis is better than Mike Trout because of home runs.

mjp2417

Banned
Lists in general are really stupid.

NBA fans love them for some reason though.

It's a league that is dominated by superstars in a way that no other major team sport is, the great players are all recent enough that we have footage of them (and for the vast majority we can watch their entire careers), and it's the only sport where where there is statistical overlap across all positions. It makes sense even if it is ultimately a little silly. Like, there is absolutely no fixed point of comparison between Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout, or between J.J. Watt and Tom Brady.

bionic77

50 point games is not a good metric to determine who is better. Efficiency, usage and FG% matter. Every GM past, present and future of presented with the opportunity would taken LeBron over Kobe every day of the week. There is no dimension where Kobe Bryant is a better basketball player than LeBron James, and saying so only serves to expose your very pedestrian knowledge of the sport. It's like saying Chris Davis is better than Mike Trout because of home runs.
You have a far better argument about Kobe versus LeBron than either of them being in Kareem's league.

After Cedric Ceballos I personally think Kareem is the greatest player of all time. At every level. High school, college and professionally. Also had the best cameo of all time for a basketball player.

OozingZen

Neo Member
The Dwight Howard hate in here is embarrassing. Dude won three straight defensive player of the year awards and has averaged a double double his entire career.

theWB27

The Dwight Howard hate in here is embarrassing. Dude won three straight defensive player of the year awards and has averaged a double double his entire career.

And he massively underutilized his talent and the physical advantage he had over near everyone he played against.

Cipherr

50 point games is not a good metric to determine who is better. Efficiency, usage and FG% matter. Every GM past, present and future of presented with the opportunity would taken LeBron over Kobe every day of the week. There is no dimension where Kobe Bryant is a better basketball player than LeBron James, and saying so only serves to expose your very limited knowledge of the sport. It's like saying Chris Davis is better than Mike Trout because of home runs.

Truth.

I'm surprise I haven't seen a top 50 list presented as a line graph with 5o points where each point in has a varied distant from the next one. Like mj as 1 could be reallly close to a top 2. And a top 15 could be way far ahead from 16th than 16th is from the 17th and so on.

Shit still can't get over someone forgot westbrook. I mean Westbrook is better than AI who is 34th on thenlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom