• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Sports updated their top 50 NBA players list...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakep267

Steph is kinda high for my liking. I like him but how can you have Reggie miller be so low and steph be so high. Is Reggie not a great shooter? What about Jesus shuttlesworth. These lists award the most recent. No way I'm taking prime curry over prime ray Allen.

Also I never liked Dwade being so high. He's been way too injury prone the second half of his career. Even when Lebrun was in Miami he was already breaking down

Chris Paul is always going to be higher than Iverson and Nash on these kinds of lists because he has already had a better career than either of them.

You're kidding right? Iverson has won MVP and single-handedly took his team to the finals. Not to mention he is the reason why there is a dress code. He should be ranked higher.

blakep267

You're kidding right? Iverson has won MVP and single-handedly took his team to the finals. Not to mention he is the reason why there is a dress code. He should be ranked higher.
Chris Paul will always be super overrated I guess because he's still playing and notable. Dude has been a letdown in every part of his career.

Nobody in their right minds takes him over Nash or iverson

theWB27

not if you care about things like defense and scoring efficiency

I care bout winning.

Chris Paul will always be super overrated I guess because he's still playing and notable. Dude has been a letdown in every part of his career.

Nobody in their right minds takes him over Nash or iverson

I absolutely don't get the Chris Paul fascination when it comes to putting him with the greats.

greepoman

LeBron is always gonna be ranked lower than he should be on a lot of people's lists just he can be so unlikeable. Absurd that some people him are putting him outside their top 10. That being said he deserves it for being a flopping, whining, annoying ass hat.

Steph is kinda high for my liking. I like him but how can you have Reggie miller be so low and steph be so high. Is Reggie not a great shooter?

You can have Steph be that much higher than Reggie pretty easily. Steph is a better defender (even if he's just okay and not great), a much more versatile and better shooter and a much much better distributor/offensive player in general. Reggie was a much more limited player than his reputation would suggest.

blakep267

You can have Steph be that much higher than Reggie pretty easily. Steph is a better defender (even if he's just okay and not great), a much more versatile and better shooter and a much much better distributor/offensive player in general. Reggie was a much more limited player than his reputation would suggest.
My point was that steph being 11 is kinda crazy. He's not an elite defender or rebounder. at all. He's a fantastic shooter. Maybe one of the bests, but then you have ray Allen and Reggie miller like 30 places back. It's not to take away from steph but he's not that much better than them overall

Also Steph is not better than Kevin Durant in any way. If you wanna hold KDs lack of rings against him, so be it but it wouldn't be fair at all

My point was that steph being 11 is kinda crazy. He's not an elite defender at all. He's a fantastic shooter. Maybe one of the bests, but then you have ray Allen and Reggie miller like 30 places back. It's not to take away from steph but he's not that much better than them overall

I wouldn't put Steph at 19 (not 11), but he's definitely a much better player than Reggie, who never ran an offense and was mediocre defensively. I mean, Reggie was a pretty one-dimensional player - never averaging more than 4.0 rebounds or assists per game and he didn't really score that much considering the minutes and role he played.

Ray Allen is underrated from a historical perspective, mostly because people forget his star days before Boston/Miami.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Soooo many Dwight haters...yeesh. He really burned one too many bridges, didn't he?

He's a good player. Heck he was a great player at one point.

We aren't talking great players. Hell Billups is a finals MVP and won a championship. He's not on the list. It isn't ever great player list.

It's top 50 of all time.

mjp2417

Banned

Iverson had a great 2001 season. But Chris Paul is already ahead of him for his career in MVP award shares and has spent his entire career in the Western Conference meat grinder. Iverson was playing in an era when the fucking Nets were going to back-to-back Finals. The fact that Iverson is a cultural icon while CP3 is the guy on those State Farm commercials is immaterial. Both stats and eye test argue that Paul is the better player. By just about every metric Paul is one of the 5 or so best point guards in NBA history.

blakep267

Iverson had a great 2001 season. But Chris Paul is already ahead of him for his career in MVP award shares and has spent his entire career in the Western Conference meat grinder. Iverson was playing in an era when the fucking Nets were going to back-to-back Finals. The fact that Iverson is a cultural icon while CP3 is the guy on those State Farm commercials is immaterial. Both stats and eye test argue that Paul is the better player. By just about every metric Paul is one of the 5 or so best point guards in NBA history.
Chris Paul has Zero mvps. Nash has 2 and AI has one. Also He went toe to toe with one of the greatest teams of all time with a prime Shaq and an extremely good Kobe(not prime yet)

Chris Paul 18.9 ppg 10 assist 4 rebound career stats
Allen Iverson 26.7 ppg 6 assist 4 rebound career stats

Also he's not a top 5 PG
No order
Magic
Nash
Stockton
Isaiah
Oscar Robertson

Oscar Robinson not in the top 10 is a fucking travesty.

Holy shit, that is a terrible list. Curry is at 19, not sure he should really be in the top 50. I'd definitely put Leonard above him. Wade, Gary Payton , Kidd, Stockton and Pippin too.

Holy shit anymore absolutely insane opinions you want to lay on us lol.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This list can't make up it's mind if it's head-to-head or for their own era.

Because Wilt head-to-head isn't good at all. Either is Jerry West imho, undersized in the league these days.

..but Dwight Howard isn't even considered dominant in his own era... he's good.. been great.. but not the best of his own era... he shouldn't crack a top 50 then... but could he play in any era? Hell yeah.. he'd have dominated completely some era's.. he'd have been an unstoppable force... same with Shaq.

Some old timers though, Magic.. Kareem.. they'd be great still in this era.

Both y'all are funny.

The truth can have a sense of humor!

giphy.gif

Hold up. Which year did Chris Pail win MVP lol.

I know people like to shit on Chris Paul because of his playoff failures (I'm one of them), but have any of you actually compared his stats with Nash's?

Per 36:

Nash: 14.3 pts/8.5 asts/3.0 rbds on .490/.428/.904 shooting
Paul: 18.7 pts/9.9 asts/4.5 rbds on .473/.367/.865 shooting

Nash was a poor defender, Paul a great one. Nash's teams might have run into tough opponents in the playoffs and had bad injury luck, but so did Paul (and it wasn't like the SSOL Suns were short on talent).

A 6'9 point guard like Magic translates no matter the era.

KAJ gets overlooked so often to fellate Bron Brizzle in these lists. KAJ was greatest HS, college and NBA player of all time. All 3.

Jordan can't say that shit.

i was actually gonna say that kareem is probably the only one that you'd have an argument over lebron

but my recency bias will put lebron back at 2 :(

Curry is a one trick pony. Sorry it's true.

Shit like this just kills me. It KILLS me. It's one of the reasons I was hesitant to get into sports because people say wildly inaccurate, objectively false stuff, and you just have to live with it.

Curry is usually at the top of the list in percentage at the rim. In the past 3 years he's often led the league in percentage at the rim. He's also a ridiculously good passer and doesn't average a ton of assists because he's more valuable off ball than everyone else in NBA history. So Draymond often gets the assist and even beyond that they don't run set plays with him at the beginning of the action because the team system is predicated on everyone touching and moving the ball.

Then you have people who glance at his assist numbers and say he's a one trick pony when in reality Curry completely warps a defense unlike any other player we've seen. Just him being on the hardwood warps and stretches out the opposing defense which gives everyone else on his team space to operate. That doesn't show up on the scoreboard. He often leads the league in hockey assists too.

I know people like to shit on Chris Paul because of his playoff failures (I'm one of them), but have any of you actually compared his stats with Nash's?

Per 36:

Nash: 14.3 pts/8.5 asts/3.0 rbds on .490/.428/.904 shooting
Paul: 18.7 pts/9.9 asts/4.5 rbds on .473/.367/.865 shooting

Nash was a poor defender, Paul a great one. Nash's teams might have run into tough opponents in the playoffs and had bad injury luck, but so did Paul (and it wasn't like the SSOL Suns were short on talent).

I agree that Paul should be over Nash but he definitely isn't better than Iverson or I. Thomas. This list is a joke.

blakep267

Shit like this just kills me. It KILLS me. It's one of the reasons I was hesitant to get into sports because people say wildly inaccurate, objectively false stuff, and you just have to live with it.

Curry is usually at the top of the list in percentage at the rim. In the past 3 years he's often led the league in percentage at the rim. He's also a ridiculously good passer and doesn't average a ton of assists because he's more valuable off ball than everyone else in NBA history. So Draymond often gets the assist and even beyond that they don't run set plays with him at the beginning of the action because the team system is predicated on everyone touching and moving the ball.

Then you have people who glance at his assist numbers and say he's a one trick pony when in reality Curry completely warps a defense unlike any other player we've seen. Just him being on the hardwood warps and stretches out the opposing defense which gives everyone else on his team space to operate. That doesn't show up on the scoreboard. He often leads the league in hockey assists too.
I'll never say he's a 1 trick pony, but I do think people are severely stuck in the moment when it comes to him. He's not doing anything at the rim that John wall or Kyrie aren't doing. He's just a lights out shooter which we haven't seen in a while. To that degree. And were still in awe of it because I mean it's amazing. It it also skews our vision

And we saw what a good defense could do to him last finals. It's just this year that's impossible to do because the warriors also have Kevin Durant. So once again he's going to be inflated because defenses just can't stop that fire power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom