• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 3D |OT| Come on, who's the king?

It's a great 3d platformer, one of my favorites but worth ~45e? Well maybe if you absolutely love platformers and you need something to play with your 3DS, but it can be bought for a dollar for any other platform out there.

AniHawk

Willy105 said:
You'd think this would be about Rabbids 3DS rather than the port of a 12 year old game.

But then again, for some reason people are more excited about Ocarina of Time over Kid Icarus, so I guess you just can't beat the N64 generation.

well rayman 2 and oot are both considered classics. kid icarus is an unknown and worse: directed by masahiro sakurai.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Ramenman said:
This is the game I'm picking up at launch because it's RAYMAN 2.

So cool.

And I've been meaning to replay it for a while too, and 3D is as good a visual upgrade as any.

My only beef, but only from an asshole-purist point of view is : the hub between levels in the Dreamcast version was some kind of Crash Bandicoot ripoff and not the awesome superior hub that was in the PC/PSX versions.

Still,

RAYMAN 2 !! D:
PC version and Dreamcast version had absolutely identical "hubs", just a level select screen. Are you talking of the PS2 version?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I never played the original and I got a copy of this for free with my 3DS so I'm looking forward to playing it.

bengraven

Rented it on the N64 and didn't get very far due to workload at the time (this was 2001). I remember really liking the atmosphere, music, everything.

I picked it up on DS years later, but the controls were awful.

I would pick this up again and try for the third time on NDS when I get one.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Anyone know if it will include the PS2 extras?
Almost certainly not, or else they would have mentioned it by now. It would be nice if they combined the added content/visual upgrades of the PS2 version with the 60 fps/nicer textures/extra minigames of the DC version so that we would finally have a definitive version of the game, but this is Ubisoft we're talking about.

Almost tempted, since I've never owned or even played Rayman 2. But at the same time, I cannot warrant buying it without getting some impressions on it first; it could very well be another Rayman DS.

Noogy

Great game, but I already quadruple dipped (one of them being near the launch of the DS Phat). Although as mentioned, it's still one of the stronger 3DS launch titles.

Murrah

Banned
Having owned the N64 version as a kid but never getting too far into it I would love to get this, but I have absolutely no faith in Ubisoft, so I'll probably just end up borrowing it off a friend. And if it ends up actually being a decent port, then too bad on lost sales due to Ubi showing no faith in the product

The Hermit

Whoa, another 3DS OT.Can't believe its so close! :D
I am waiting for the SSF 4 3D OT: My Street fighterz, let me show you them edition...

Sanic

One thing to note is that there is some indication that the graphics have at least been touched up in some respects. At the beginning of the cam footage in the OP, during the section when Rayman is climbing up the wall, sunbeams have been added to the scene.

It's something, I guess.

Kurtofan

I can't believe I've never finished this game on all the consoles I played it on(DC and PS2)
I may be interested in this,if it isn't like the DS version who was pretty average if I recall correctly.

mr jones said:
Rayman 2 is over 10 years old. It's been released on the PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gameboy Color (lol), and iPhone.

Why is this a launch title?
Well, if they wanted to release it anytime, launch makes the most sense. Before there's, say, "Super Mario" or whatever to provide competition. As someone who has somehow managed to avoid the previous versions and sees a bit of a dearth of really meaty content on 3DS, they're probably hoping for folks like me.

Fixed1979

I think this will be a buy on Sunday for me. Never played much Rayman and it seems to be the biggest thing against this game is that it's a port of a classic.

Pandoracell said:

Still not actual shots; the aspect ratio is wrong and the HUD is on the gameplay screen.

Fixed1979 said:
I think this will be a buy on Sunday for me. Never played much Rayman and it seems to be the biggest thing against this game is that it's a port of a classic.

Nah, the biggest thing against it is that it's an Ubisoft-published launch title. The gameplay footage looks promising, but in the absence of any in-depth hands-on impressions (let alone reviews), caveat emptor.

From everything I've read on twitter and impressions from people who have played it say it's actually one of the better launch titles. Though I do still find it odd that people are releasing the screenshots that aren't even widescreen and have the HUD on the main screen. However, I don't normally have faith in Ubisoft, but if what I'm reading is correct its supposedly a pretty decent port, so if you haven't played Rayman 2 (like myself) it probably won't be a bad pick, seeing as it was apparently great game.

The game is a legendary platformer, but I'd much rather have an HD up-port for PSN/XBLA with leaderboards and Trophies/Achievements instead of 4:3 on a tiny screen with (arguably) novelty 3D effect.
I'd still say PS2 version running on either 60gb PS3 (upscale/smoothing)+HDTV or a very good PS2 PC emulator+HDTV would be best.

The Hermit

If only I haven't finished this game in 3 diferent platforms(N64, PC and DC) multiple times, I would be somewhat interested... OoT at least has a graphical upgrade and aparently "some" new content.

Fantastic game though, best platformer from the 64/128 era, if you haven't played it, buy it.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
if it's not some buggy choppy mess, it's totally worth $40 if you haven't played it.

it is kinda funny that ubisoft has zero faith in rayman 3 though.

It's gotta be a nasty port with the complete lack of substantive media. It is Ubisoft, after all.

It's sad that even though I own this game and am so anti-port (particularly for new systems that are just getting their feet wet), this is honestly one of the only games I am keeping a hopeful eye out for at this point for the 3DS launch window.

My thinking is that if it isn't a shit port, then at least finally it's a rad game to play. It's not like I beat it 39 times like Ocarina of Time or own 6 copies like OoT.

carlo6529

I'm 95% sure this will be my 3DS launch title. It is going to be a 1st time experience for me. The whole "review's under embargo" thing is kind of worrying though.

It is kind of weird that we haven't seen Rayman 3 ported...ever? Yet Rayman 2 again and again...

Baiano19 said:
If only I haven't finished this game in 3 diferent platforms(N64, PC and DC) multiple times, I would be somewhat interested... OoT at least has a graphical upgrade and aparently "some" new content.

What is new in OOT 3DS? I mean, I'm going to buy it regardless (and probably not finish it because of minimal additions, just run through a little and see differences).

StickSoldier said:
From everything I've read on twitter and impressions from people who have played it say it's actually one of the better launch titles. Though I do still find it odd that people are releasing the screenshots that aren't even widescreen and have the HUD on the main screen. However, I don't normally have faith in Ubisoft, but if what I'm reading is correct its supposedly a pretty decent port, so if you haven't played Rayman 2 (like myself) it probably won't be a bad pick, seeing as it was apparently great game.

Could you provide links, please? I haven't found anything on Twitter, and these are the only impressions I've read (and I've played Asphalt - anyone who posts impressions of it without mentioning its godawful framerate is less than trustworthy in my mind). The YouTube footage is surprisingly free of apparent technical issues, but that's not nearly enough to base a purchase decision on.

Father_Brain said:
Could you provide links, please? I haven't found anything on Twitter, and these are the only impressions I've read (and I've played Asphalt - anyone who posts impressions of it without mentioning its godawful framerate is less than trustworthy in my mind). The YouTube footage is surprisingly free of apparent technical issues, but that's not nearly enough to base a purchase decision on.

Yeah lemme see if I can't find some links real quick.

Amir0x

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
I want a adventure type game for the 3DS, so I might get this. Never played a rayman game before though.

man if it is a good port you're in for a treat. A true classic.

heringer

Can't wait. Going to be my first time too. If I loved the first couple levels I played on my iPhone I'm pretty sure I'm going to be all over the 3DS version.

Yoshi256

Banned
Not worth 45€ in my opinion.
I'll wait until it is cheaper.

Quite weak graphics btw, Daxter looks far better, although the 3DS (Dual-Core CPU, PICA200 GPU) has way more hardware power than the PSP.

Yoshi256 said:

Quite weak graphics btw, Daxter looks far better, although the 3DS (Dual-Core CPU, PICA200 GPU) has way more hardware power than the PSP.
Port... for the 1 millionth time.

heringer

Yoshi256 said:

Wow, why did he got banned? o_o'

Anyway, even though Daxter is technically more advanced than Rayman 2, I think the latter looks much better because of the cleaner artstyle. The game aged really well.

Okay, here are some of the impressions that I could find, but I know I've seen a few more:

Justin Towell from Catgonecrazy.com
# @zarious1 @Breener_96 It's Rayman 2, but with added 3D. Game was always strong, looks better in 3D. Some bits rather beautiful. Enjoyed it! 7:51 AM Mar 19th via Twitter for iPhone in reply to zarious1

# Finished Rayman 3D last night on #3DS - can't wait for Pilotwings! 7:39 AM Mar 19th via Twitter for iPhone

# Having a great time with #Rayman3D on #3DS Sure, it's just Rayman 2 with a 3D effect, but that 3D sure is purty :)

http://twitter.com/CatGoneCrazy

Tom Worthington from gamerzines.com

I should have predicted that Rayman 3D would be one of my favourite 3DS titles. Essential if you haven't played Rayman 2 before! 11:27 AM Mar 18th via web

(bolded quotes are replies to someone asking about fps drop)

@ChrisVideoGamer I haven't actually noticed much of that at all :S will inspect further.

@ChrisVideoGamer Ok now that you mention it I've noticed some slight performance slowdown. Nothing too bad though.

@franklero I'd check out some vids of Rayman 2. It is essentially a port of the Dreamcast version.

http://twitter.com/startdashselect
Corbie Dillard from nintendolife.com (I'm not sure if he's played it or not, he makes it seem like he has though, but take this with a grain of salt)

@Samus2008 Pilotwings Resort, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, and Super Monkey Ball 3D are the best after Rayman 3D, IMO.

http://twitter.com/CorbieD

So I mean it seems like its a pretty decent port, if you can live with a little bit of slow down here and there then it could be a good game for people who are thinking of getting it. Like I said earlier though, I know I saw some more impressions but I can't find them, however I haven't see anyone outright say its a bad port so that gives me hope. Most things are pretty positive about it. Hope this clears up a few things until we get an actual review.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This could jump into the discuss of launch titles for me if impressions are strong. Or if they have it at the demonstration downtown on Saturday and it impresses. Pilotwings, Street Fighter, and Rayman. That could last me a while. I'm sorry, Steel Diver.

[Nintex]

EvilMario said:
This could jump into the discuss of launch titles for me if impressions are strong. Or if they have it at the demonstration downtown on Saturday and it impresses. Pilotwings, Street Fighter, and Rayman. That could last me a while. I'm sorry, Steel Diver.
Don't apologize to Steel Diver, Steel Diver should say sorry to you. FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

vanty

Ordered this and a black 3DS for $283 (3DS alone retails for $350 in Aus) in some crazy deal a while ago, hopefully it's a good port. Had a great time with the N64 version back in the day, maybe even preferred it to SM64.

Yeah it does suck about the slowdown, but seeing as it doesn't seem too bad to where the person didn't even notice it till someone said something about it maybe it'll be okay. I just really want to get something other than SSF4 at launch, and I love the first Rayman so figured I'd get this one. Hell, I mean if Nintendo can sell launch games that hardly have content past 3 hours for $40, I'm fine with Ubi selling their game for $40 seeing as it has 3D and what not, mainly because its supposedly one of the greatest 3D adventure games even to todays standards, although it is 10 years old. I'm not comparing Nintendo to Ubi by any means, but it seems like every game at launch has its own faults.

Top Bottom