• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 3D |OT| Come on, who's the king?

wrowa

Amir0x said:
i dunno I guess I'm sticking to Ridge Racer begrudgingly. I've got no choice at this point :<
You refuse to buy Rayman 3D because it's technically flawed, but you want to buy Ridge Racer 3D even though it looks sub-par as well(the stable framerate is literally the only good thing about RR)? :p

Oh well, anyway, at this point I'm glad that I decided against the 3DS for now. Rayman is quite honestly the only game that I would like to play. The rest? Eh.

I don't really see any reason for Amirox to buy it since you can buy other versions for much cheaper that are non 3D, and seeing as one of the main points about this version is that it's 3D (which everyone knows he doesn't like), its understandable that he won't buy it if the games not a perfect port of the DC version. I believe that other people though, who want to play it in 3D and experience something new with the game should give it a shot if the reviews aren't bad. SSF4 has its faults, like running only 30 fps in 3D and static backgrounds, but it's still fun from what everyone says, so I don't see why Rayman should be disliked solely because of a few drops in frame rate. As long as the game is fun is all that matters really, and it seems like it is from the people who played it.

Amir0x

Banned
StickSoldier said:
I don't really see any reason for Amirox to buy it since you can buy other versions for much cheaper that are non 3D, and seeing as one of the main points about this version is that it's 3D (which everyone knows he doesn't like), its understandable that he won't buy it if the games not a perfect port of the DC version. I believe that other people though, who want to play it in 3D and experience something new with the game should give it a shot if the reviews aren't bad. SSF4 has its faults, like running only 30 fps in 3D and static backgrounds, but it's still fun from what everyone says, so I don't see why Rayman should be disliked solely because of a few drops in frame rate. As long as the game is fun is all that matters really, and it seems like it is from the people who played it.

seriously it's an amazing game. If it only has SOME slow down, it might still definitely be worth it for first time players.

It's a top 50 game.

Amir0x said:
seriously it's an amazing game. If it only has SOME slow down, it might still definitely be worth it for first time players.

It's a top 50 game.

Yeah I mean, I can look over a few drops here and there if that's all it is. If it's game changing, then I can understand not warranting a purchase. I've never played it, and I want a GOOD adventure game, and like you said its supposed to be great, so I figured I'll go ahead and pick it up if the fps drops aren't a killer.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
sigh

Rayman 3D

i dunno I guess I'm sticking to Ridge Racer begrudgingly. I've got no choice at this point :<

my last resort is probably super monkey ball. i think i'll still wait on impressions from rayman 2 3d just because bge hd put me on kind of an ancel kick and i've only played rayman 2 once.

i'm totally prepared just to get the system and nothing at launch though. my backlog consists of three rpgs and two platformers, so they're things that are either stupidly time-consuming or things i really wanna play.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hopefully the game is a decent port, i want at least another game to come with Street Fighter 4.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Looking forward to this. I can live with an imperfect port, if it plays and controls well enough. Portable Rayman 2 is very compelling. Pity the original DS and iPhone versions were such shite. Hopefully this one turns out OK.

Amazon shipped my copy of this. It should be here tomorrow or the next day.
This will only make the wait for the 3DS all the more painful.

Sanic

Is this being released tomorrow in Europe as well, or will it be the 25th?

Nevermind, the 25th. Though if anyone has any additional info on the embargo, it would be appreciated. Is it being lifted tomorrow, the 25th, or the 27th?

Sanic

Boney said:
So rayman 2 is good.

Maybe I should get this?

It honestly seems like it'll turn out to be a decent port. As to if 'decent' is good enough, I guess that depends on the person. My previous playthroughs have all been on the PS2, and that version has pretty severe framerate issues, so i'm okay with this incarnation not holding a steady clip.

Rayman 2 is one of the finest examples of its type, and absolutely needs to be experienced by anyone who even has a passing interest in the genre.

Ramenman

I don't give a fuck if it has "some" framedrops.

The framerate in the gameplay vid in the OP is more than enough for me.

AceBandage said:
Seriously.
They should have replaced this is Origins.
Would have made a great launch title.

Not it wouldn't. Because it wouldn't have been ready for launch.

Rayman 2 is a great launch title, because there's no competition to go against it in the 3DS launch title, so it can be priced at 45 euros and still sell even though it's a port.

This is why I'm buying it day one instead of waiting for a drop. It's like, the only action/adventure game on day one. I don't like fighters or racers, and don't want to pay 45 euros for a 3h game, so I'm buying Rayman.

If it were to come out in a month I wouldn't even care about it.

AniHawk

SalsaShark said:
This has to be the most ported game ever (not counting fighters i guess), what the fuck.

there are nine versions of rayman 2: the great escape. the gbc rayman 2 was released around the same time, but is obviously not the same game. i think there are eleven different super street fighter ii games out there, which may be the most-ported game ever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Aru said:
You are missing a lot of games then. 60fps games are pretty rare these days, except for fighters.
Such a requirement doesn't apply to all games, you know. There is no excuse for this game in particular to run at anything less. The 12 year old Dreamcast ran this game at a perfect 60 fps, so why shouldn't a brand new 2011 piece of hardware do the same? Anything less means a lazy ass port.

I played Rayman 2 on the ps2, a very solid game. However the fun didn't kick in for me until I got the special abilities later. So new players should be able to enjoy it. Get it if you are into platformers.

mclem

AniHawk said:
there are nine versions of rayman 2: the great escape. the gbc rayman 2 was released around the same time, but is obviously not the same game. i think there are eleven different super street fighter ii games out there, which may be the most-ported game ever.

Lemmings? Elite? Tetris?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
mclem said:
Lemmings? Elite? Tetris?

32 'ports' for Lemmings, going by the Wikipedia list. I'm not sure Tetris counts, because the versions are usually not ported, but remade (regardless of how similar they are).

heringer

"Rayman 3D isn't a simple port. We improved the game experience by adjusting the difficulty curve and the camera angles in the game. We also improved the game system and controls to provide all players with more accessibility. We polished the actors and level visuals thanks to the capabilities of the console. Finally, we made use of stereoscopy to create more immersion so that the player really feels like he or she is diving into Rayman's universe." - Abderrazzak Elkaouni

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/24875/rayman-3d-isnt-just-a-simple-port-says-producer/

Went and bought this game today from Gamestop. I'll be keeping it wrapped though until Friday when the reviews come out. If the scores are decent, off goes the wrapper, but if the scores are bad due to being buggy (not the fps drop that has been mentioned before) then I'll probably take it back. Pretty sure it's not that bad of a port, however, so most likely will be keeping this. :D

Sanic

I would think it would still be on the 25th/27th, because what's the point of an embargo if reviews go out before most people could play the game anyway?

That's what I thought, but doesn't seem like the embargo is over until Friday. That's when ONM is releasing their review for the game, so I'll be looking forward to it.

Gwanatu T

Aru said:
You are missing a lot of games then. 60fps games are pretty rare these days, except for fighters.
I don't usually use that kind of logic, simply because it's usually unrealistic. This, however, is different, simply because it's a port of a 12 year old game on to a console that is well more than capable to do such a thing, given the Dreamcast version, that this is based on, ran at a perfect 60fps. Anything less is unacceptable. That being said, it seems people are saying that it's 60 the vast majority of the time, and I think that's good enough for me. So my launch titles are now Pilotwings, Super Monkey Ball and Rayman. Excellent.

Peff

Lonely1 said:
If I only ever played the N64 version. Is it worth to replay this version?

If you don't remember much of the game, it seems to be a decent port, which instantly makes it one of the top launch titles. I'm a bit concerned about these difficulty curve changes, though, given how "hard" Ubi games are usually like nowadays, but we'll find out how severe they are in a couple of days regardless.

Lijik

V_Ben said:
When I get a 3DS down the road, I will pick this game up for a tenner with it. The Precepice is still the best platforming level ever made. Absolutely wonderful.
Highest of fives, sir.
Whenever I replay this game, I go straight to this level.

EDIT-

Peff said:
I'm a bit concerned about these difficulty curve changes, though, given how "hard" Ubi games are usually like nowadays, but we'll find out how severe they are in a couple of days regardless.
If its anything like the Rayman 1 DSi port, difficulty has been thrown out the window.

wwm0nkey

Well I picked up Rayman 3DS as well today. there are currently 5 3DS games out right now.

EDIT: After seeing that it apparently sucks, looks like I might return it :/

Amalthea

Banned
FoneBone said:
Ha. Not surprised. On the plus side, he notably doesn't mention Ghost Recon, so there's still hope for that.

Read the original post in the link, he mentions GR as one of the better games.

Sanic

Oh hey gaf

Y14NX.jpg

Won't open it until after the embargo lifts and I can be sure that it isn't garbage, although Mr. Castle isn't putting my mind at ease.

NGamer review editor says Ubisoft's 3DS lineup is full of 'dodgy ports', but Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is good
"Ubisoft held Rayman back so no one would see how crap it is, basically. Without spoiling the score, it's one of our lowest rated 3DS launch titles. Along with Splinter Cell and *shudders* Asphalt 3D. Ubisoft have only gone and blighted a Nintendo hardware launch with dodgy ports again. Ghost Recon, however, is one of the better launch games. Kittsy's personal favourite, in fact. Check the blog tomorrow for some abridged opinions of all the launch games."
NGamer staff writer (reviews editor) Matthew Castle

Via Go Nintendo

Top Bottom