• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 3D |OT| Come on, who's the king?

Truth101

Banned
Fusebox said:
One persons impressions, out of a total of one person. Which means that 100% of initial impressions at this stage are negative.

Except the person on GAF who has played this game

Zane said:
I've never played the Dreamcast version of Rayman 2 so I don't know if the graphics are upgraded from that. However, I've played the N64 version many times and the 3DS version's graphics are definitely better than that.

It seems like a pretty solid port so far. But if you've never played Rayman 2 before, then just know that Rayman 2 is one of the greatest platformers ever made.

Outside of cutscenes, the 3D effects are very nice. Little details such as floating particles and butterflys really pop but not in an in-your-face way.

Emitan

I've only played the PS1 version and wasn't a fan. Any reason why the Dreamcast/3DS version would blow me away enough to give it another chance?

CamHostage

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
My feeling is that this game is going to have issues but not nearly enough of them to make it less fun if you liked the original.

Rayman purists will hate on it possibly but everyone else will really like it.

This release deserves to be crapped on but also hopefully deserves to be bought. A quickie port of the very old Rayman 2 (on a platform that saw a quickie port of the very old Rayman 2 on its predecessor) is pathetic, but the original game is really great. This is one of those cases where you ignore the reviewer's score and just look for the nuggets in the text that tell you whether it's worth picking up... in the used bin in a few months, maybe.

Fusebox

Banned
Truth101 said:
Except the person on GAF who has played this game

Hadn't see those, ta for posting.

Kind of vague impressions though.

Graphics are better than N64 (doesnt tell us much) and outside of cut-scenes the 3D effect is nice (implying the 3D effect in cutscenes isn't nice?)
'

There's been like 4 or 5 impressions, but only one negative one, and the negative guy wasn't expecting much from a Rayman game anyways it seems. So far people who actually liked Rayman 2 are liking this game.

Fusebox said:
Hadn't see those, ta for posting.

Kind of vague impressions though.

Graphics are better than N64 (doesnt tell us much) and outside of cut-scenes the 3D effect is nice (implying the 3D effect in cutscenes isn't nice?)
'

I posted a few other ones in page 2 and 4, although rather short, they give a good vibe about the game.

TheOGB said:
For me it comes down to this:

This would be my 5th damn time playing through the game.

Lol, probably no way I could do that. I've never played the game, and I'm just not beating the first one, so it's a completely new experience for me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kandinsky said:
Have faith people, its Rayman 2, only the best platformer game ever made!

kTCbi.jpg

- J - D -

It's regularly placed in various top 100s and 'best of all time' lists by various publications and there's a reason why it's constantly being ported instead of, say, Rayman 3.

It is one of the best action platformers ever. Your argument is invalid.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
User33 said:
Lets not go crazy now.

Rayman 2 is kind of fun, but also very monotonous. The levels are far too big and empty for the most part.
Have you even played Rayman 2? It's really varied and fast paced, no big empty levels but packed and awesome ones instead. One of the best platformers I know and even a bad port is worth playing if you haven't played the original.

Rayman 2's definitely one of the more overrated games on this forum, although it's still a pretty good adventure game. The platforming was just extremely basic, which was a huge letdown after the awesome hardcore platforming of the original Rayman, and the camera was awful. (I replayed the DC version recently.)

the-iek

Wow, just wow. I played through the 3DS version of Rayman 3D and can't wait til the embargo is up. Just don't shit your pants yet, the guy writing for NGamer is pretty much overreacting a lot.

the-iek said:
Wow, just wow. I played through the 3DS version of Rayman 3D and can't wait til the embargo is up. Just don't shit your pants yet, the guy writing for NGamer is pretty much overreacting a lot.

The inevitable HYPE BACK UP post.

Fusebox

Banned
the-iek said:
Pre-order remorse is starting to fade...

RpgN

nincompoop said:
Rayman 2's definitely one of the more overrated games on this forum, although it's still a pretty good adventure game. The platforming was just extremely basic, which was a huge letdown after the awesome hardcore platforming of the original Rayman, and the camera was awful. (I replayed the DC version recently.)

Eh, no. If your idea of hardcore platforming is torture then no thank you. That game is so frustrating, not well paced, you play a long time without being able to save, lifes are very rare once you're out of the ones you're given at the beginning of the game etc. It's meant to be a kids game, yet it's so tough even adults wouldn't be able to finish it. I made it up to world 4 (or 5?) with the painting and artist theme and had enough of it...

EDIT: I played the ps1 version from PSN.

The plot thickens, guys (or the water gets more muddy): here are impressions left at gamefaqs apparently by the downloads editor of nintendolife.com:

"I've been playing Rayman 3D now for almost 4 hours and I'm loving it. The framerate drops so far have been very minor and unnoticeable in most cases. Looks amazing in 3D. So far the only negative is having to get used to the button assignments, but I'm getting very comfortable with them now."

"No, this is not a flat 2D plane just farther into the background, it is 3D. You can tell the different distances between certain walls and sections quite easily. It's also not nearly as dark as the DS version was and this one features full analog controls, which makes it MUCH easier to control. You can tell from things like the main menu and certain graphical aspects that this is the Dreamcast version of the game for sure."

"It sounds almost exactly like the Dreamcast version. The sound effects are a bit quieter, but you can adjust the background music to allow you to better hear the sound effects if that's important to you. Also, to the question above, the dialog is still gibberish, not regular English."

"I have yet to see the frame rate drop below the 30 fps mark. And after trying it with both 3D on and off, I can't really tell any difference at all in smoothness. It runs really smoothly. Even some of the faster stuff like water skiing with the snake pulling you in the marshes ran extremely smoothly."

"They have made the game a bit easier in the early parts. For instance, the snake skiing bit used to be pretty tough, but now you can just run over the bad guys and bombs without actually dying on impact. About the only thing that will kill you instantly is getting stuck behind a crate or post that cuts your tow line. I'll let you guys know how the difficulty stacks up in later levels. I hope they didn't tone it all down TOO much. :D"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619484-rayman-3d/58542729

AniHawk

nincompoop said:

you're one of the more overrated games on this forum.

Gwanatu T

Dreamwriter said:
Or maybe 3DS isn't much faster than a Dreamcast, so requires extra time to coax the speed from it. Don't forget the Dreamcast and the XBox were the same generation of game system.
Yes, but look at Konami's port of MGS3: an infinitely more graphically advanced game running perfectly, and with significantly improved visuals too. Ubisoft's laziness is absolutely unacceptable. Unfortunately launch fever is going to get the best of me, and ill end up going to Toys R Us on Sunday to get this and Monkey Ball via their buy 1 get one half off 3DS launch sale. Ill keep an eye on the impressions, but so far so good I suppose. Still disappointed by the framerate though.

Max

I am not Max
My first N64 game.

Might have to be the one game I get for 3DS from the launch lineup, for nostalgic purposes. Probably looks so cool in 3D

I got the iOS version for free and it wasn't even worth that. Hideous controls.

Anyway the actual game is great as many people have said, and I honestly can't remember most of the game so it might be worth picking up on the 3DS.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
The plot thickens, guys (or the water gets more muddy): here are impressions left at gamefaqs apparently by the downloads editor of nintendolife.com:

"I've been playing Rayman 3D now for almost 4 hours and I'm loving it. The framerate drops so far have been very minor and unnoticeable in most cases. Looks amazing in 3D. So far the only negative is having to get used to the button assignments, but I'm getting very comfortable with them now."

"No, this is not a flat 2D plane just farther into the background, it is 3D. You can tell the different distances between certain walls and sections quite easily. It's also not nearly as dark as the DS version was and this one features full analog controls, which makes it MUCH easier to control. You can tell from things like the main menu and certain graphical aspects that this is the Dreamcast version of the game for sure."

"It sounds almost exactly like the Dreamcast version. The sound effects are a bit quieter, but you can adjust the background music to allow you to better hear the sound effects if that's important to you. Also, to the question above, the dialog is still gibberish, not regular English."

"I have yet to see the frame rate drop below the 30 fps mark. And after trying it with both 3D on and off, I can't really tell any difference at all in smoothness. It runs really smoothly. Even some of the faster stuff like water skiing with the snake pulling you in the marshes ran extremely smoothly."

"They have made the game a bit easier in the early parts. For instance, the snake skiing bit used to be pretty tough, but now you can just run over the bad guys and bombs without actually dying on impact. About the only thing that will kill you instantly is getting stuck behind a crate or post that cuts your tow line. I'll let you guys know how the difficulty stacks up in later levels. I hope they didn't tone it all down TOO much. :D"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619484-rayman-3d/58542729

Great impressions. I too hope they didn't tone it down too much.

Seriously, it's only Wednesday?!? Damn.

Lijik

MadraptorMan said:
I got the iOS version for free and it wasn't even worth that. Hideous controls.

I was able to control it just fine for the regular platforming sections, but I had to put it down and never return when I got to the jet-skiing on a snake section.
Thats section is just impossible with touch screen controls.

Gwanatu T said:
Yes, but look at Konami's port of MGS3: an infinitely more graphically advanced game running perfectly, and with significantly improved visuals too.
It's a lot easier to give a game a solid 30fps framerate like MGS than a solid 60fps framerate like Rayman, no matter what system you're on.

Dreamwriter said:
It's a lot easier to give a game a solid 30fps framerate like MGS than a solid 60fps framerate like Rayman, no matter what system you're on.
It's a port of a game which features N64-quality polygon counts and very few effects (the characters didn't even have real-time shadows in the DC version). The 3DS shouldn't have any trouble rendering it at 600 frames per second, let alone 60.

Posted this in another thread.

CorbieD said:
.@Teh_Ivol Well, I'll have to play more of it to make that statement, but so far it's(rayman) been really good. :)
about 9 hours ago via Twitter for Mac in reply to Teh_Ivol

.Been playing Rayman 3D for 4 hours now and it's been a lot of fun so far. Definitely the Dreamcast version as well. :D http://t.co/EriHXzt
about 10 hours ago via Twitter for Mac

.@Samus2008 Rayman 3D has been a lot of fun so far. I'm about 10 levels in now. I'd forgotten how much fun Rayman 2 was. :D
about 6 hours ago via Twitter for Mac in reply to Samus2008

Few more impressions of Rayman for those who are thinking of picking it up! It's fun

the-iek

Okay guys, German embargo is up and before I head to bed I'll answer some of the questions. Yes, there are some slight problems with the framerate and no, they aren't game breaking. One point that is definitely game breaking is the fact that I had to restart my 3DS four times to create a new savegame, because I was told my data was corrupt and my 3DS just didn't register any inputs. In addition, the game froze on me three times.

There is a really annoying ghosting problem as well. The 3D effects are okay during normal playtime but when a cutscene starts, the characters are shown two or three times as if you weren't really hitting the sweet spot. This ghosting is also apparent in the level selection screen.

Rayman 3D still is a good game. The core gameplay is really, really great, the graphics have been improved nicely and controlling Rayman with the circle pad feels just awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
You're describing what sounds like an awful port to me dude. Some of those problems sound genuinely awful. This seems like a "your tolerance will vary" port, because on the premise of one or two of those flaws alone I would give the game a 1.0/10.

Lijik

the-iek said:
One point that is definitely game breaking is the fact that I had to restart my 3DS four times to create a new savegame, because I was told my data was corrupt and my 3DS just didn't register any inputs. In addition, the game froze on me three times.

I love Rayman 2 with all my heart, but its not worth this.

MarshMellow96 said:
I have lost control of my laughter functions.

Sipowicz

Banned
it does sound reallty bad, but that should have been expected

ghost recon and street fighter seem like the third party games to get at launch, particularly ghost recon. the gamestm review was glowing

pilotwings seems to be the first party game to get even though it sounds shockingly light on content

the-iek said:
Okay guys, German embargo is up and before I head to bed I'll answer some of the questions. Yes, there are some slight problems with the framerate and no, they aren't game breaking. One point that is definitely game breaking is the fact that I had to restart my 3DS four times to create a new savegame, because I was told my data was corrupt and my 3DS just didn't register any inputs. In addition, the game froze on me three times.

There is a really annoying ghosting problem as well. The 3D effects are okay during normal playtime but when a cutscene starts, the characters are shown two or three times as if you weren't really hitting the sweet spot. This ghosting is also apparent in the level selection screen.

Rayman 3D still is a good game. The core gameplay is really, really great, the graphics have been improved nicely and controlling Rayman with the circle pad feels just awesome.

Hmm haven't heard of the game freezing yet. That would be fuckin terrible if if freezes before you can save it... I dont mind the ghosting thing if its just in cutscenes. Where the freezes randomly or at a certain spot?

Might pass on this then, I really don't mind just sticking to the PC version. Would've been more swayed if they'd spruced up the graphics a bit to around Rayman 3's level or even just replaced Rayman's model with his redesign from that game (dunno about how other fans received it but I personally prefer how he looks in R3 onwards).

For those that have played it; did Ubisoft actually make any changes to the game's difficulty? Or were they just talking about changes the Dreamcast port already made to the original game in that regard?

Sanic

I don't really care if it struggles to create a savegame for two minutes, but the freezing and ghosting are of concern to me.

Hmm you know I just really want to play a game that's more than three hours and is something I would like. Maybe i'll pickup Lego Star Wars as well, but I think i'm gonna keep Rayman regardless.

Lijik

Astrosanity said:
Might pass on this then, I really don't mind just sticking to the PC version. Would've been more swayed if they'd spruced up the graphics a bit to around Rayman 3's level or even just replaced Rayman's model with his redesign from that game (dunno about how other fans received it but I personally prefer how he looks in R3 onwards).

If we're talking about replacing models, then the one from the first Raving Rabbids would have been the way to go. I'm not sure what it is, but theres something slightly "wrong" about the R3 model that makes it offputting to me.

I just tweeted CorbieD and he seems to not have had any freezes yet.. Man wtf.. He still thinks its probably his favorite launch title.

Stick3047 Matt B
@
@CorbieD Have you had any problems with Rayman freezing on you?
1 hour ago Favorite Reply Delete
in reply to ↑
Corbie Dillard
@CorbieD Corbie Dillard
@Stick3047 Nope. And I'm at 64% now. Hope it doesn't freeze on me! :D
1 hour ago via Twitter for Mac Favorite Retweet Reply
CorbieD Corbie Dillard
@
@MacKinnon_Kyle My only gripes about Rayman 3D so far are the camera on the d-pad and the toned down difficulty. Other than that I love it.
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»
Corbie Dillard
CorbieD Corbie Dillard
@
@Wiiloveit Oh yeah. I believe it's my personal favorite launch title so far. Soooo much better than the DS release. (Thank goodness!) :D

dvolovets

Goddamit, all these mixed impressions are absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, my brother opened the game so I can't return it to Amazon now...

Lijik said:
If we're talking about replacing models, then the one from the first Raving Rabbids would have been the way to go. I'm not sure what it is, but theres something slightly "wrong" about the R3 model that makes it offputting to me.

Honestly thought they used the same design in both games, though I find myself replaying Rayman 1 to 3 way more than Rayman Fou- I mean, Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Either way, while I normally dislike EDGIER redesigns of characters to give them more 'tude, Rayman sort of was a character who thanks to 90's CGI art awkardness had a lot to benefit from it.

Rayman_2_Image.jpg

Rayman.jpg

Top Bottom