• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 3D |OT| Come on, who's the king?

Fusebox

Banned
dvolovets said:
Goddamit, all these mixed impressions are absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, my brother opened the game without me knowing so I can't return it to Amazon now...

So go play it and give us the definitive review!

Ok since theres so many mixed inpressions and since I've had the game for over a day now I'll just post my impressions.

Its white. Whiter than I expected. The logos switched sides and the 3D is'nt in 3d it all! Its all two dimentional!!!

Theres 20 holes in the game. And these holes are gamebreakers. These holes make the game feel very cheap. And light.

The game itself is to big for the DS! It only fits in a 3DS!

And the worst part? The entire game is in black and white! Seriously Ubisoft! This is not 50s telivision! this is a 2011 videogame on a system that actually supports colors. COLORS!!!

My review score is a 2 of out 10.
For the box, manual, and gamecard. I don't actually have a system to play it on. 4 more days. Then I actually get to play it!!

Lijik

Astrosanity said:
Honestly thought they used the same design in both games, though I find myself replaying Rayman 1 to 3 way more than Rayman Fou- I mean, Rayman Raving Rabbids.
Its the same design, but in RRR they refine the model quite a bit. It looks more like the render you posted, as opposed to R3 where the ingame model looks like some rough attempt at the render.

AniHawk

Sipowicz said:
it does sound reallty bad, but that should have been expected

ghost recon and street fighter seem like the third party games to get at launch, particularly ghost recon. the gamestm review was glowing

pilotwings seems to be the first party game to get even though it sounds shockingly light on content

wuhu island and the miis were a dead giveaway that the game would be light on content.

WiiRevolution1 said:
Ok since theres so many mixed inpressions and since I've had the game for over a day now I'll just post my impressions.

Its white. Whiter than I expected. The logos switched sides and the 3D is'nt in 3d it all! Its all two dimentional!!!

Theres 20 holes in the game. And these holes are gamebreakers. These holes make the game feel very cheap. And light.

And the worst part? The entire game is in black and white! Seriously Ubisoft! This is not 50s telivision! this is a 2011 videogame on a system that actually supports colors. COLORS!!!

For the box, manual, and gamecard. I don't actually have a system to play it on. 4 more days. Then I actually get to play it!!

The fuck is this?

FoxHimself said:
The fuck is this?
My first attempt in quite awhile trying to be funny. I don't think I did a good job. But since I had the game I figured I might aswell review it. Lol

But really I am looking forword to it. I never played Rayman 2 and I loved Rayman 1.

Lijik

WiiRevolution1 said:
My first attempt in quite awhile trying to be funny. I don't think I did a good job. But since I had the game I figured I might aswell review it. Lol
I liked the manual part.

Huh. At first when I saw some of the bad things some people are saying, I was concerned that I ordered Rayman as my only game.

But then, the reason I'm getting it to begin with is because it's only £15, thanks to Amazon's bundle (most 3DS games are supposedly between £30-£40). Even if it does suck, I'm guessing I can easily trade it in for at least that much and put it towards Pilotwings Resort or Super Street Fighter IV.

game saves being corrupt , game freezing :( noooooooooooooooooooooooo

oh ubisoft , I can't smh enough at them. Will still get it but i hope nothing bad happens when i play it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
WiiRevolution1 said:

those fuckers are using a black and white manual again?
uggggggh

the-iek said:
Okay guys, German embargo is up and before I head to bed I'll answer some of the questions. Yes, there are some slight problems with the framerate and no, they aren't game breaking. One point that is definitely game breaking is the fact that I had to restart my 3DS four times to create a new savegame, because I was told my data was corrupt and my 3DS just didn't register any inputs. In addition, the game froze on me three times.

There is a really annoying ghosting problem as well. The 3D effects are okay during normal playtime but when a cutscene starts, the characters are shown two or three times as if you weren't really hitting the sweet spot. This ghosting is also apparent in the level selection screen.

Rayman 3D still is a good game. The core gameplay is really, really great, the graphics have been improved nicely and controlling Rayman with the circle pad feels just awesome.
Thanks for the info!

When you return, could you clarify one point? Was your corrupt-data savegame problem, just a problem creating the initial save, or did you mean the saved-game got corrupted a few times during gameplay, making you start the game over again a few times?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Since this one seems to have actually turned out decent, I'd kill for a portable version of Rayman 3...

THAT one surely deserves a second chance.
Arguably moreso than this version's uh... 6th chance?

Lijik

Mejilan said:
Since this one seems to have actually turned out decent, I'd kill for a portable version of Rayman 3...

THAT one surely deserves a second chance.
Arguably moreso than this version's uh... 6th chance?
This thread actually got me to replay Rayman 3 since its been ages and its never been ported. I should make an RTTP thread or something.

Luigiv said:
You're surprised? Ubisoft hasn't used colour manuals for at least a decade now.
Seriously. At this point we're lucky if the manual contains more than two pages when it comes from Ubisoft.

Speaking of other Rayman games, has anyone here actually beat Rayman 1 without cheating for extra lives? I'm replaying the game and about to be at the last boss, but I have to go back and get all the lums, but damn this game is ridiculous hard. I just don't see how people can beat this game without cheating.

Lijik

I almost did once. I caved in and started cheating at the Candy Chateu. That was probably my best run of it. Its way less stressful to just cheat, so i do that and get sloppy since i know i have infinite lives.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Luigiv said:
You're surprised? Ubisoft hasn't used colour manuals for at least a decade now.
No i'm not surprised I just wanted a reason to post in the thread

I thought they only used black and white manuals for their "low-tier" stuff.

Lijik said:
I almost did once. I caved in and started cheating at the Candy Chateu. That was probably my best run of it. Its way less stressful to just cheat, so i do that and get sloppy since i know i have infinite lives.

Haha, yeah the farthest I made was Bongo Hills. I might go back and try it without cheating later on once I beat it, but I have to say that Rayman 1 is easily the HARDEST game I've ever played. Battletoads is up there but I was so young when I played it, so not sure if I'd be better at it now.

TheOGB

Banned
Lijik said:
This thread actually got me to replay Rayman 3 since its been ages and its never been ported. I should make an RTTP thread or something.
Do it.

Fernando Rocker said:
Could all those problems be fixed via online patch?
The question isn't whether it could be fixed or not, but whether it will be fixed or not.

It won't.

I'm keeping it. I will still enjoy the game. Some of my favorite games of all time have frozen on me, bugged out, had shitty frame rate and whatever people are bitching about.

Plus, it's seriously like no more than 10 people we have gotten impressions from it seems. 1 hates Rayman, 1 has crashes, a few see some frame dips, but it seems the majority (of that almighty 10) are enjoying it.

Either way it seems to be the best (for me) out of the launch lineup since:

Can't think of any other game besides Bust a Move that I really want (which I'll probably get too).

major updates on key game play elements such as accessibility, progression and learning curve
Oh really? Awww man I was really hoping I could get a game that was tough as balls as soon as I start the game! Why don't other games have learning curves like this one? OMG this is such a good selling point for me. I am totally going to buy this fucking game now because it has a motherfucking LEARNING CURVE!

So as someone who only played and liked the original Rayman, should I get this? Kind of hurting for stuff to play on 3DS since I know Steel Diver and Pilot Wings won't last me to June.

Linkhero1

dvolovets said:
Goddamit, all these mixed impressions are absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention, my brother opened the game so I can't return it to Amazon now...
I opened my copy of the game too lol. I really dislike the flimsy instruction booklet and the eco-friendly case design.

cosmicblizzard said:
So as someone who only played and liked the original Rayman, should I get this? Kind of hurting for stuff to play on 3DS since I know Steel Diver and Pilot Wings won't last me to June.

I'd like to tell you that it'd be a good pick up, but I honestly don't know. It seems like it wont be that bad of a game for people who either like Rayman 2, or haven't played Rayman 2. I went ahead and bought it because I'm a fan of Rayman 1, but I'm not opening it up till I know for sure that the game isn't going to freeze and shit. Just wait till Friday and there will be full reviews.

- J - D -

J@hranimo said:
Why can't they port the PS2 version aka the BEST version???

Because it had framerate problems...so if it were ported to 3DS the framerate would be like, 15 fps.

Also: because Ubisoft are asshats.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I remember liking Rayman 3 when I was 12ish. They should have revisited that instead of this for the umpteenth time.

Clipper

Rez said:
I remember liking Rayman 3 when I was 12ish. They should have revisited that instead of this for the umpteenth time.
Being a huge fan of 2, 3 was a huge letdown. They removed many of 2's best concepts and replaced them with crappy ones. It wasn't a bad game, but it doesn't hold a candle to 2's awesomeness.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Clipper said:
Being a huge fan of 2, 3 was a huge letdown. They removed many of 2's best concepts and replaced them with crappy ones. It wasn't a bad game, but it doesn't hold a candle to 2's awesomeness.
yeah, totally.

Don't get me wrong, I love 2, it's just I already own three copies of it, including the DS one.

the-iek

Dreamwriter said:
Thanks for the info!

When you return, could you clarify one point? Was your corrupt-data savegame problem, just a problem creating the initial save, or did you mean the saved-game got corrupted a few times during gameplay, making you start the game over again a few times?
Like I said, this happened when I tried to create a new savegame. It was the first time I started up the game, there wasn't any of my data yet and it still told me the data was corrupt.

So yeah, if these problems hadn't occured, the game would've scored 8/10 easily. Like I said the graphics are great and the levels are still so much fun, but there's no way I could've stayed quiet about these problems.

the-iek

No, not once did it corrupt my savegame when playing through the game. It all happened when trying to start a new one.

Rezbit

Actually looking forward to playing this for the first time. Essentially getting it for free as part of a 3DS bundle, so I guess I won't have any expectations!

Ramenman

Pandoracell said:
I don't really care if it struggles to create a savegame for two minutes, but the freezing and ghosting are of concern to me.

I'm with you on that.

Pandoracell said:
I just really want to play a game that's more than three hours and is something I would like.

I'm with you on that too... Seems like I'm still picking that up with my console then...
It's either that or Pilotwings, and I don't want to pay full price for 3 hours (plus I'm not even sure I would fully enjoy it).

I'll buy Pilotwings used next week when it hits $2 because everyone and his dog is selling it back after having finished it three times.

Oh, the joys of a console's launch :D

RpgN

StickSoldier said:
Speaking of other Rayman games, has anyone here actually beat Rayman 1 without cheating for extra lives? I'm replaying the game and about to be at the last boss, but I have to go back and get all the lums, but damn this game is ridiculous hard. I just don't see how people can beat this game without cheating.

I forgot the name of the last place I was in *checks faq*

There it is! I made it to Picture City - Eraser Plains.

It never occurred to me to use cheats to finish the game...that's a good idea. But I already deleted my savefile. Ah, what a bummer. I was pretty close to finishing the game. But then again, I wouldn't enjoy dying dozens of times on a game even if I had infinite lives. It's not worth it.

Empty

Rez said:

though rayman 2 is better it's kinda bizarre that they didn't go with rayman 3 for this version given 'the third in the series is also in threee deeee' marketing synergy they could have used and how it would have made this game less of a joke given that three hasn't had a million ports yet.

the-iek said:
No, not once did it corrupt my savegame when playing through the game. It all happened when trying to start a new one.

That reminds me of my first experience with Assassin's Creed 2....it froze on me on the file creation screen and locked up my console. Or Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands PS3 where I fell down a pit and it autosaved and respawned me in a locked room, requiring me to delete my savefile and boot from my backup save an hour and a half ago. Ubisoft games have nasty bugs so consistently that I avoid their products whenever possible.....I usually make an excption for prince of persia and rayman, but I think freezing is a dealbreaker :(

Yuterald

I have played practically every version of Rayman 2. It's definitely one of my favorite platformers. There is just too many conflicting impressions on this to jump right on it. Ubisoft is like the last company I trust when it comes to quality. How fast until this game drops below $20? lol!

Top Bottom