• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman 3D |OT| Come on, who's the king?

TheOGB

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
RDquz.gif

I expected this

Well, there's always Street Fighter.

Well what the fuck? How can it be that bad? I'm still going to wait for the reviews but this really sucks to hear. Glad I didn't open the game lol.

Fernando Rocker said:
NGamer review editor says Ubisoft's 3DS lineup is full of 'dodgy ports', but Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is good

NGamer staff writer (reviews editor) Matthew Castle

Via Go Nintendo

You posted a non-working link, as that particular fansite is blocked here. It's almost always a better idea to link to the source than to a news aggregator, anyway.

To add to the confusion, here are some conflicting impressions from one of the overly numerous general 3DS threads here:
Zane said:
I got Rayman 3D this morning and have played the first three levels or so. No huge frame drops from what I can tell. It fluctuates pretty heavily but it never drops down to unplayable levels. Controls are very smooth and responsive, unlike in Rayman DS where the controls took literally a full second to respond.

My biggest problem is that cutscenes have a large amount of ghosting in 3D. But when you're actually playing, it's fine.

Why the hell would a single review hold so much sway? Geez. Maybe it'll end up with a 90 on Metacritic and this is the sole outlier, scoring it low because "Ubisoft has ported too many games, we scored it low to make a statement."

TheOGB

Banned
UncleSporky said:
Why the hell would a single review hold so much sway? Geez. Maybe it'll end up with a 90 on Metacritic and this is the sole outlier, scoring it low because "Ubisoft has ported too many games, we scored it low to make a statement."
what?

60-70.

UncleSporky said:

That's what I'm thinking, maybe he doesn't like the fact that it drops framerate or something. I don't ever just listen to one reviewer because his views could be different on why it's a bad port. I rather listen to more people who said something good about it, then one person saying something bad about it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
UncleSporky said:

People are already on edge given Ubisoft's history, especially given the DS.

RpgN

Oh man...say it ain't so. I guess we'll find out in a couple of days, the real verdict of this port.

But if it's truly as bad as described, shame on Ubisoft for not being able to port a dreamcast/N64 game on the 3DS while being acceptable. What's the excuse? It's not like it's demanding or has one of the best graphics ever seen :/

stalker

UncleSporky said:

Usually I would agree with you, in an abstract world. But in this concrete world this particular publisher has a background story of unpolished games and extremely unpolished launch games, particularly on recent Nintendo platforms. The reactions are understandable... even more so when we consider that the same title was already ported to the DS and it was basically unplayable because of its controls.

Personally I hope the port is not so bad as those comments suggest, not because I am going to buy the game (not even buying the 3DS for a while) but because Rayman 2 is a great game that deserves a better treatment on a platform that is obviously capable enough for it. I think that publishers like Ubisoft should consider that unlike others (Nintendo, but not only), they do not have that many games in their back-catalog that can be considered a "classic". Rayman 2 is on that level and it is very sad to see what they did with it on the DS and quite reasonable to be very scared when hints about the 3DS release being a low-quality port arise.

bridegur

The biggest shame about this is that the terrible quality will probably translate to terrible sales, and Ubisoft will continue to avoid making 3D Rayman games.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Cow Mengde said:
Well there's always 4DS amirite or amirite?

Ubisoft is playing all of you, if you keep falling for it theyll keep making money this way. But hey, I hear Rayman DSiware is pretty good, it's got a map and everything. Everyone should buy it since it's performance is great

bridegur said:
The biggest shame about this is that the terrible quality will probably translate to terrible sales, and Ubisoft will continue to avoid making 3D Rayman games.
How is that not for the best?

Sanic

These impressions simply can't be right. I won't accept them.

It never hurts any less, even though you know it's coming. Ubisoft, smh.

Linkhero1

Received the game today and was thinking about sending it back to Amazon after hearing about the issues. Too bad I don't have a 3DS yet because I would have probably opened and played it regardless of the issues.

AGH damn you impressions!! I keep wanting to read only good things about Rayman to justify my purchase, but since Ngamer talked shit about it I got worried. Well here's something to ease all of our minds for a bit (I posted this the other day because it sounded like he played Rayman, but apparently he just got it today):

Stuff that I posted yesterday, but these aren't impressions, he hadn't played it when he posted this.
Just posting this tweet so that folks can remember who it was
Corbie Dillard from nintendolife.com (I'm not sure if he's played it or not, he makes it seem like he has though, but take this with a grain of salt)

Quote:
@Samus2008 Pilotwings Resort, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, and Super Monkey Ball 3D are the best after Rayman 3D, IMO.

http://twitter.com/CorbieD

He just posted this on his forum after playing it for the first time
I'm not sure what Ngamer were looking for, but I've played the hell out of the Dreamcast version and this is looking and playing quite well to me so far. Long way to go, but I'm just not seeing all of the complaints they brought up. To each his own, though. :)

And yes, I'll have the review of Rayman 3D up on Friday morning.

Man I dont know, I think I'm gonna go off what this guy, and the other people have said about Rayman, instead of what Ngamer said. Just wait before returning it people, chances are that it can still be a decent port.

wwm0nkey

From the same guy who said Rayman was bad

I never expected much from a Rayman game in the first place. Personal taste, and all that.

So looks like Rayman might not be bad after all.

This is why I HATE reviews, personal taste always gets in the way.

wwm0nkey said:
From the same guy who said Rayman was bad

So looks like Rayman might not be bad after all.

This is why I HATE reviews, personal taste always gets in the way.

Yup =\ It seems like so far he's the only one who hasn't liked it, but most other people have had a pretty good time with the game. Not saying hes wrong, since it's his opinion, but I think people shouldn't take his comments as serious as the people who are actually excited about Rayman.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
3DS US cases look weird and backwards. Damn 3DS stripe being on the wrong side.
Cart looks like a corpse-gray DS cart with a cancerous tumor coming out the side.
Fugly.

New handheld gen am ruined. :(

Sanic

I'm really not sure if his issue isn't just "it's Rayman, for the 9th time, and it has some performance issues when it really shouldn't. Oh, and I don't really like Rayman anyway."

Linkhero1

Mejilan said:
3DS US cases look weird and backwards. Damn 3DS stripe being on the wrong side.
Cart looks like a corpse-gray DS cart with a cancerous tumor coming out the side.
Fugly.

New handheld gen am ruined. :(
I know. I hate it =/

Pandoracell said:
I'm really not sure if his issue isn't just "it's Rayman, for the 9th time, and it has some performance issues when it really shouldn't. Oh, and I don't really like Rayman anyway."

Yeah, it very well could be. I bet it's still an alright pick up for people who actually WANT the game.

AniHawk

StickSoldier said:
AGH damn you impressions!! I keep wanting to read only good things about Rayman to justify my purchase, but since Ngamer talked shit about it I got worried. Well here's something to ease all of our minds for a bit (I posted this the other day because it sounded like he played Rayman, but apparently he just got it today):

Stuff that I posted yesterday, but these aren't impressions, he hadn't played it when he posted this.
Just posting this tweet so that folks can remember who it was

He just posted this on his forum after playing it for the first time

Man I dont know, I think I'm gonna go off what this guy, and the other people have said about Rayman, instead of what Ngamer said. Just wait before returning it people, chances are that it can still be a decent port.

doesn't nintendolife rate everything stupidly high?

dark10x said:
Such a requirement doesn't apply to all games, you know. There is no excuse for this game in particular to run at anything less. The 12 year old Dreamcast ran this game at a perfect 60 fps, so why shouldn't a brand new 2011 piece of hardware do the same? Anything less means a lazy ass port.
Or maybe 3DS isn't much faster than a Dreamcast, so requires extra time to coax the speed from it. Don't forget the Dreamcast and the XBox were the same generation of game system.

carlo6529

I'm buying this game simply based on the fact that a lot of gaffers rated past iterations so high. However, I know how gaffer's work, they usually build up the game so high or shoot it down so low. I'm purchasing this game with the mentality that it will be a good game. I'm not expecting it to be excellent and I'm also not expecting it to be terrible.

Bought it, reviews be damned!

I figure this is probably the best launch game for me, I want a good little adventure game, not a fighter, not mini-games. Man, I can't wait to try this Sunday morning.

Or, I will trade it after reviews on Friday haha ... but I really, really, really don't want to.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dreamwriter said:
Or maybe 3DS isn't much faster than a Dreamcast, so requires extra time to coax the speed from it. Don't forget the Dreamcast and the XBox were the same generation of game system.
They really weren't. The XBOX was significantly more capable than the Dreamcast.

Furthermore, Rayman 2 was hardly pushing the Dreamcast. There were many other much more demanding games for the platform.

The 3DS seems to be roughly on par with something like the Gamecube but with more advanced shader capabilities (something the DC had no support for, of course). It definitely seems like a faster machine.

Okay I think I'm done with this stuff until Friday, so that we can get an ACTUAL review. Here's a few other tweets about it though:

Jamin Smith
@JaminVG Jamin Smith
Killing the hours until I see Dead Island playing some Rayman 3D. It's not half bad, you know.
16 hours ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply
replies ↓
»
Tom Worthington
Startdashselect Tom Worthington
@
@JaminVG I thought it was pretty damn good. Have you played Rayman 2 before?

JaminVG Jamin Smith
@
@Startdashselect yeah, played Rayman Revolution back when the PS2 first launched. Surprisingly decent little platformer.

Tom is one of the other guys who posted about how he really liked Rayman 3DS after playing it.

AniHawk said:
is this guy familiar with the video game industry?

Rofl not sure, I didn't really pay attention to what Jamin said, was mainly lookin at what Tom said about it.(since he knows Rayman 2 is a great game)

My feeling is that this game is going to have issues but not nearly enough of them to make it less fun if you liked the original.

Rayman purists will hate on it possibly but everyone else will really like it.

Keep in mind, I base this on nothing but what we have heard.

Oh GAF. One person's impressions and already you jump off the bandwagon.

I'm not saying this port will be good - knowing Ubi, it'll probably be shit - but I find it laughable that a single person can sway your purchase.

Even the greatest games have their detractors.

Fusebox

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
Oh GAF. One person's impressions and already you jump off the bandwagon.

One persons impressions, out of a total of one person. Which means that 100% of initial impressions at this stage are negative.

Top Bottom