• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat |OT| Going back in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any talk of a playable old Shang Tsung (or in the game in some form)?

I think this game would be perfect for him to make a come-back. There is a very cool mysticism about him from the first game that I would like to see again.

NewLib

Banned
Squall5042 said:
Has there been any talk of a playable old Shang Tsung (or in the game in some form)?

I think this game would be perfect for him to make a come-back. There is a very cool mysticism about him from the first game that I would like to see again.

Old Shang Tsung is the alt costume for Shang Tsung.

ScOULaris

Looking at the list of stages, I can't help but get hyped beyond all recognition for this game. The nostalgia effect is through the roof. This really is a dream game for us classic MK fans, since it's basically what we always hoped for before the series derailed. We finally get to see all of our favorite stages and characters rendered in exquisite detail and fleshed out to the max. And if the nostalgia factor wasn't enough, the game actually plays better than any MK since UMK3. If it turns out to be tournament-viable, we'll actually get to see high-level MK play develop over the course of the next year or two. That's awesome!

This next week is gonna be a brutal wait for me. The first thing I'm gonna unlock in the Krypt is this:

1656462-classic_reptile_super.jpg

TreIII

"MWAHAHAHAHAHA! WELL DONE!" [/Shao Kahn]

Seriously, great job here, Fern. Now to just wait for my Amazon order to ship...

RustyNails said:
fwypvqr4bde17327jc89.gif

This has to be the greatest OP created by a first timer.
Seriously. I wanted to help him with the OT but holy shit, my help would be taking it the complete opposite extreme of what we have here.

I also love the thread title cause of it's double meaning! :)

Vormund

Regarding the Australian importation, I'm importing the 360 version, and luckily my gf is visiting her family at the moment in Thailand, so I'll get her to bring me a ps3 copy back as well.

OneMoreQuestion said:
This may not apply if you're trying to import a big-ass Kollectors Edition box...

Well actually I had that on order, but Game UK wouldnt ship anything over 1kg internationally, so they cancelled it. I am just getting the regular edition for 360 now. :(

Majanew

Banned
ScOULaris said:
You probably won't have to trade. I'm pretty sure all of the costumes and classic fatalities will be unlockable in the Krypt.
I hope so.

I'm a Sub-Zero fan, but credit got me MK for dirt cheap on Amazon. lol

evil ways

Great thread, well done fernoca. Question though, are these bios actual canon or just a mix and mash of info from the previous games?

fernoca

evil ways said:
Great thread, well done fernoca. Question though, are these bios actual canon or just a mix and mash of info from the previous games?
Official bios, it seems. All are just a summary of the character up to the events of the game, so it doesn't spoiler what happens to them or other bigger things. Originally I wasn't going to put them, just a pic of the character..but it ended just looking plain. Found those, were confirmed to be official-ones and used them.

IF the story mode ends being cannon to the next game(s), some people are really...really going to be pissed off...and cursing Raiden because of his time-travel thing.. :p

Now to read from Page 2, to see if there's any reported mistake; after I left. XD

HeySeuss

Great job, op. Not completely sold on the title though.

Can we share preorder kodes and put them in one of the opening posts? I preordered the Xbox version through Walmart so when I get my kode I will post it.

Stinkdog

Neo Member
Very awesome thread. Between the youtube videos, the interviews, the inspired by MK soundtrack, and MK: Legacy, I'm so totally psyched for this game! @m@

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Lots of great info in the OP, though I'm not sure i'm liking the trend of throwing as much stuff as possible at OP's to win best thread ever. IMO though....

Sp3eD said:
Lots of great info in the OP, though I'm not sure i'm liking the trend of throwing as much stuff as possible at OP's to win best thread ever. IMO though....
I really doubt that was something fernoca considered. This thread is really just something which clarifies some common complaints/requests IMO (the game is really only a 5 button fighter, pre-order bonuses, the MK storyline, etc)

My xbox psu is in repair FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU :( still having the uk Kollectors arrive for release though just so I can stare at it and cry tears of joy while my non working 360 laughs at me.

Awesome op btw, before I left the house for the day I loaded the page up on my ipod and read it while out and about, was well worth it.

Lingitiz

Haven't played an MK game in a long time. Is the series accessible enough for this to be a good place to start again? I'd love to try it out but the demo is only on psn.

Great OP by the way.

S1kkZ

Lingitiz said:
Haven't played an MK game in a long time. Is the series accessible enough for this to be a good place to start?

Great OP by the way.
yes. the tower mode has a really big tutorial part, which explains everything.

Lingitiz said:
Haven't played an MK game in a long time. Is the series accessible enough for this to be a good place to start?

Great OP by the way.
Yeah it will be. Although post-2D MK, the best games to get into would probably be MK Deception & Shaolin Monks. Shaolin Monks alone is just an amazing nostalgia trip.

fernoca

Haha..forgot to put the release date, there it is. :p

But yeah.
My plan was not to "make the biggest thread ever", my original plan was to make a way smaller thread, but that it had not only a good summary of this new game, but also a little bit of history.

I wasn't even planning on making the OT, since my computer and mouse just sucks... :p ..but I really like MK, so I also wanted to show that in the OT..to some degree. The music, movies, info of all games were related to that, the nostalgia..childhood of a 12 years old me being excited at the arcades, or the 15 years old me at the movie theater watching the movie..things like that.

But things got bigger...
My original plan of up to 5 posts, then changed to 7. One thing I wanted was to divide the sections into posts, because in case someone had a doubt regarding something specific, they could go to the table of kontent and click and go for it, instead of scrolling through one long post.

Then as I was making the summary of the stories, I stumbled upon the 24,000 character limit per post; which also counted image-tags. So edited the story, cut a few characters... but still was too long, so divided that post in 2. Then had the same thing happen with the movies/music post.

Always kept an eye around for suggestions and checking the threads people wondering specific aspects about the game, control, story...so kept that in mind while making the thread.

There are some things I'm planning to add before the release of the game.

Lettuce said:
So is there a stealcase version for the UK market?
Some say no..that the steelcase is available everywhere but UK, but information is conflicting at the moment.

Verendus

Banned
Incredible OP.

Last Mortal Kombat game I enjoyed was Shaolin Monks. I didn't like the 3D fighters released on the PS2.
Liu Kang being killed off really caught me off-guard when it happened.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sn4ke_911 said:
I'm speechless. Almost as good as "The best NeoGAF thread ever!" Well done sir.

lol but that thread has "Solid Snake's first mission" next to Metal Gear Solid in the table of contents, as if MG2 never happened.

Nice job, OP, it's just beautiful to look at and easy to navigate although I still think a gif of Shang Tsung yelling "It HAAAAS BEGUN" should be added.

fernoca

Kam said:
Incredible OP.

Last Mortal Kombat game I enjoyed was Shaolin Monks. I didn't like the 3D fighters released on the PS2.

So, why was Liu Kang killed off and Scorpion made the main character?
Liu Kang was killed at the beginning of Deadly Alliance..just because Shang Tsung wanted to kill him and did (basically). :p

Scorpion never became the main character. He was left for dead (even when he's already dead) at the end of Deadly Alliance, then met the Elder Gods which turned him into their personal warrior in Deception. But that didn't lasted long, and in Armageddon he turned against them.

One thing I did noticed while making the summaries...Scorpion all he does is whine and complain. XD

S1kkZ

Interfectum said:
Do we know whether or not we'll be able to pick up the other 'pre-order' shit down the line via paid DLC?
there is a very high chance that all of the pre-order stuff is unlockable in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom