• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Shotgun Kiss said:
That reminds me of:

coyote.jpg
Yeah, good call, I totally see it. I see a little bit of Crash, too. What an unsettling combination.

Combichristoffersen said:
Anyhow, since I finished S3&K again just the other day (with all chaos and super emeralds, huzzah!), I decided to play Sonic 4 again to see how it compared. And wow, it's like night and day. S3&K is still such a great game, while Sonic 4 is just plain bad. Bad level design, bad music, bad character models, bad graphics, bad boss designs, everything is just bad bad bad. It's almost hilarious to see how much Sega's fucked up their premier franchise.

I really don't see how anyone can place Sonic 4 alongside the others... It's like someone took Sonic 2 and chopped off all the good things.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
TheCongressman1 said:
I really don't see how anyone can place Sonic 4 alongside the others... It's like someone took Sonic 2 and chopped off all the good things.

The best thing I could say about Sonic 4 is that it has made me appreciate S3&K way more than I did before.

Also, I have an old Sonic plushie (we're talking probablo 16-17 years old) lying around somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post some photos :D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the holy fuck is this abomination

41yd1cb0-lL._SS500_.jpg
Cannot. Stop. Laughing. Holy shit... I'm dying here.

I remember when I was little, I always used to ask "Santa" for a Sonic plushie because I saw them in American magazines. Never got one because my parents couldn't find them around where we lived in Canada. I do, however, want these:
D03gY.jpg

As for Sonic apparel--I don't have any. They don't make any of it in convenient sizes for women. Not to mention that my style is mostly relegated to halters, tank tops, dresses and sweaters now. Stopped wearing hoodies halfway through uni. I'd probably get a shirt to sleep in, though. Or maybe a nice scarf.

Astrosanity said:
Starting to get impatient with only seeing Green Hill Zone. We already know Chemical Plant and City Escape's in this game SEGA, show off that stuff!
Wait for E3. It's only a few weeks away!

xprs22 said:
New interview with Webber...That damn host is a Cunt Bastard. He really shouldn't have been so disrespectful. If this guy is a reflection of the future, we know what to expect from Gamestop's review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpA3_-Jn4ss&feature=player_embedded
Eh, calm down. It's not a huge deal. Reviews are subjective. I fucking love Suikoden II, for example, and GameSpot gave it a 7.6 for somewhat foolish reasons. The comments on youtube, as always, are hilarious!

And, uh, I'm not gonna lie--Ruby's a real cutie. >.>

Combichristoffersen

xprs22 said:
New interview with Webber...That damn host is a Cunt Bastard. He really shouldn't have been so disrespectful. If this guy is a reflection of the future, we know what to expect from Gamestop's review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpA3_-Jn4ss&feature=player_embedded

I fail to see how that was in any way disrespectful. He basically just said what fans of classic Sonic already think, pretty much. Ruby takes it like a champ, but then again, I guess he's used to fans of classic Sonic pissing and moaning after his time here at GAF :p

The modern Sonic parts of Sonic Generations look good though.

And I had two Sonic t-shirts as a kid. Both are worn-out and full of holes now, but I just can't bring myself to throw them away :lol

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Also, I have an old Sonic plushie (we're talking probablo 16-17 years old) lying around somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post some photos :D
OgGwA.jpg

Not my picture, but these were the old school Sonic plushies I had as a kid. Probably still have them in storage somewhere.

I thought the Sonic one was pretty good. Tails on the other hand...

Combichristoffersen

Catalix said:
OgGwA.jpg

Not my picture, but these were the old school Sonic plushies I had as a kid. Probably still have them in storage somewhere.

I thought the Sonic one was pretty good. Tails on the other hand...

Tails looks like he's insane and about to kill you. Your Sonic plushie looks a lot like the one I had. Might be the same. I'll look for the plushie tomorrow :D

Poyunch

oDPJ1.jpg
gOq5n.jpg

Not my pictures but I had these. Don't know what happened to the Sonic plushie but I still have the Knuckles one somewhere around my parents' house. I always thought the Knuckles one was ugly even as a child.

Zomba13

Dark Schala said:
I remember when I was little, I always used to ask "Santa" for a Sonic plushie because I saw them in American magazines. Never got one because my parents couldn't find them around where we lived in Canada. I do, however, want these:
D03gY.jpg
My friend got me the Sonic one for my Birthday a few years ago. Got him sitting on the shelf above my computer monitor.

TheOGB

Banned
I have a modern Sonic plush that doesn't look super fugs. And this Sonic Shuffle-esque plush isn't total ass.

Anyhow, since I finished S3&K again just the other day (with all chaos and super emeralds, huzzah!), I decided to play Sonic 4 again to see how it compared. And wow, it's like night and day. S3&K is still such a great game, while Sonic 4 is just plain bad. Bad level design, bad music, bad character models, bad graphics, bad boss designs, everything is just bad bad bad. It's almost hilarious to see how much Sega's fucked up their premier franchise.
S3&K = Day
Sonic 4 = Night

The Unleashed Connection

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
She's involved with Silver. That's bad enough.
They're made for each other, really.

Man, now I want a Sonic sleep shirt. Preferably with OVA Sonic on it, because that's the cutest iteration.

I hope they release plushies for Sonic Generations. I want to add to my collection and finally get the Sonic plush I've always wanted. My Wind Waker Link needs a companion other than Luigi, some Yoshis, Tails, Toad and a Koopa Troopa (and some tiny Chocobo plush keychain). Recently purchased a cute moogle plushie, but I've always, always, always wanted a good-quality Sonic plushie.

SykoTech

Gravijah said:
You can't say a bad thing about Blaze. It's impossible.

Nice to see some good taste in Sonic characters around here. There's so few of them to care about, but Blaze is an exception. She's yet to be ruined like all the other characters.

Sonic '06 erased itself and shouldn't exist in a natural world anyway.

Catalix

I honestly don't know much about Blaze. I avoided '06 like the plague, and didn't have access to a GBA/DS back then. So I didn't even know the character existed until maybe around the time that Black Knight rolled around, 'cause she was heavily featured in promotional material.

But for some reason, I never counted her as one of Sonic's "shitty friends." Just going by the design alone, I always thought she actually looked kinda cool. Her overall aesthetic reminds me of NiGHTS or something. Out of all the modern characters, she ended up being the exception to the rule, escaping my wrath. Weird.

I'd like to see a Classic-fied version of her design though. A less extravagant, more streamlined interpretation could only be an improvement in my eyes.

To Far Away Times said:
I recognize 26 of them, but wished I only recognized 6.
Sonic, Dr. Robotnik, Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic, Silver Sonic.

But Silver Sonic isn't in that pic...

For main characters I really wish they would stick with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik, and Metal. If they are going to bring in other characters, they should only be in one game instead of being crammed into other stories for no reason, Ehem, Shadow.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Who the FUCK are all of those people? Not counting Genesis characters I recognize Rouge, Chaos, Shadow, Big, and The Chao's. That's thanks to the Dreamcast <3

The rest of those people look horrible.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
KevinCow said:
Did you just use the words "fun" and "Sonic '06" in the same sentence?
The most fun out of a game where nothing is really fun. But Blaze was quite fast, played like Sonic, her only exclusive level was a better version of the first Sonic's first level and she wasn't interrupted by Tails nor did she have an awful high speed section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpS2SeW5vo
I didn't want to say that Sonic 06 is any good, I'm again trying to complete at least the main story and get all Sonic S-Ranks, but it's a real torture.

Combichristoffersen

Dark Schala said:

Sonic, Dr. Ivo Robotnik, Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic, Knuckles
Charmy Bee, Espio the Chameleon, that other Chaotix dude, Vector the Crocodile, Nack the Weasel, ?
?, Mecha Sonic, Metal Knuckles, Tails Doll, Flicky, ?
That witch from Tails' Sky Patrol, the main bad guy from Tails' Adventure, Shit the Turd Big the Cat, ?, Chaos, Tikal
Chao, Rogue McBattits, Angst the Darkness Shadow the Hedgehog, Maria Robotnik, Gerald Robotnik, Cheese
Cream, ?, another Chao, ?, Emerl?, Blaze the Cat
Nega-Eggman?, ?, Black Doom, ?, ?, ?
Silver the Hedgehog, the zoophiliac princess Elise, Mefiles the Dark, some character I want to punch in the face, Robotnik the Buttpirate, ?
Chip, Sonic the Werehog, that old fart from Sonic Unleashed, ?, ?, ?
Bean the Dynamite, Bark the Polar Bear, ?, ?, ?, Froggie
?, ?, some bad guy from Tails' Adventure?, Tiara Boobowski, ?, ?

So, about 40 characters I recognize

OK, Blaze could be a lot worse- she gets props for a) having her first appearance in a good 2D Sonic and b) playing more like Sonic than a shitty support character (I'm looking at you, Cream). Even in Rush though, she was nowhere neaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar as useful or fun to play as as Sonic. Plus her godawful 'story', yet another piss-poor mysterious anime asshole who has trouble understanding that everyone around her is some level of retarded and can be easily exploited. Instead, she angsts all the time.

Basically, Blaze is still a shitty friend, and that's from looking at her in one game. Include her Sonic 06 appearance, and BLAM, she's confined to the shitbin for life.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
What an amazing picture...

All of the top row are fine. Some of the second row are fine too, thanks to Chaotix and Shenmue. Also Flicky can stay.

The rest of them do not exist in my mind.

I am watching the onthespot video and oh dear lord sega what have you done to classic sonic physics yet again!? sonic spindashed down the S pipe leaving it slower then he went in, then uncurled wtf get this shit out of here, pronto!

Sega have not learned from sonic 4 AT ALL!...

*edit* oh my he rolled down a hill with two loops and was slow by the time he was at the bottom........................................

Green Scar said:
from Sonic Rush 2 I believe
correct, can't remember her name though she has a really annoying voice, worse then amy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheCongressman1 said:
But Silver Sonic isn't in that pic...

For main characters I really wish they would stick with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik, and Metal. If they are going to bring in other characters, they should only be in one game instead of being crammed into other stories for no reason, Ehem, Shadow.
Yes... the biggest problem here is that SEGA sometimes doesn't know when to let characters go when they become stale or have no relation to the plot whatsoever/overcomplicates the plot.

Mario has more characters than Sonic, I think, and it doesn't seem we have the same "lol Mario's shitty friends" issue because Nintendo knows how to let characters go when they aren't useful or bring them back when they think they're useful again. The side characters in Sonic seem to overshadow the title's main character and we usually play as them in (sometimes) levels we don't like. With Mario, we tend to play as Mario or Luigi and that's it.

The picture is now outdated, isn't it? No Wisps, Cubot or Orbot. I guess Modern Sonic will have to be added since Classic Sonic's already up there, and also since Werehog is up there as well.

Sonic is his own friend?

Gagaman

Oh wow I forgot all about that thread.

To be fair (and to more or less repeat what I said back then), more than half of the characters on that picture has only appeared in one game and were never seen again, some are just grasping at straws (a witch from a Game Gear Tails spin off, ok) and one of them in the bottom row was never seen beyond concept art because she was from a canceled game. By that logic I'm surprised Honey didn't make it on there, who was hidden on the Sonic the Fighters ROM.

But at the same time this list could be expanded about 3 or 4 times over if you include badniks and characters from the comics (Archie, Fleetway and the several mangas), cartoons, the anime OVA and Sonic X. Hahaha.

But yeah, any franchise that has been around for 20 years across multiple medias all over the world is going to have a butt load of characters. Sega defiantly went through a period of shoving them in our faces too much (from Heroes to around when Unleashed came out) but I do think they are starting to realize that most of these characters should be mainly supporting cast rather than playable.

RagnarokX

Diablohead said:
I am watching the onthespot video and oh dear lord sega what have you done to classic sonic physics yet again!? sonic spindashed down the S pipe leaving it slower then he went in, then uncurled wtf get this shit out of here, pronto!

Sega have not learned from sonic 4 AT ALL!...

*edit* oh my he rolled down a hill with two loops and was slow by the time he was at the bottom........................................
Yeah, I really don't understand Sonic Team's hatred of rolling.

Gagaman said:
but I do think they are starting to realize that most of these characters should be mainly supporting cast rather than playable.
They still aren't getting it since they think Sonic should be the only playable character now. Sonic 3 & Knuckles should be the template they work from. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all going through the exact same levels with unique path options based on their abilities. Sonic and Tails both run the same speed but Sonic gets shield power ups while Tails can fly to his own paths. Sonic can't bash down walls with his face, only Knuckles can run through walls. Spinning has a purpose. I wouldn't even mind if they tossed in Amy if they kept her like her Sonic Advance 1 moveset (essentially hard mode).

Gagaman

RagnarokX said:
They still aren't getting it since they think Sonic should be the only playable character now. Sonic 3 & Knuckles should be the template they work from. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all going through the exact same levels with unique path options based on their abilities. Sonic and Tails both run the same speed but Sonic gets shield power ups while Tails can fly to his own paths. Sonic can't bash down walls with his face, only Knuckles can run through walls. Spinning has a purpose. I wouldn't even mind if they tossed in Amy if they kept her like her Sonic Advance 1 moveset (essentially hard mode).

Maybe they are trying to pin Sonics gameplay down to a level that most fans would be happy with first. Would hate to see them put Tails and Knuckles in if they played like shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Classic Sonic hates Modern Sonic for being a douchebag
Modern Sonic is too busy being XXXTRRRRRREEEEEEEME to care about anything else
Everyone hates the Werehog
I always figured that Sonic loathed himself. It all makes sense!

Gagaman said:
Maybe they are trying to pin Sonics gameplay down to a level that most fans would be happy with first. Would hate to see them put Tails and Knuckles in if they played like shit.
like this? http://youtu.be/sYWzhb5XUsw

In other news...
Pokecapn finally finishes Sonic Colours and tries to have some fun with the credits (but doesn't seem to have fun with the credits song)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJIUj8DGv1g

Top Bottom