• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom finds way to make overpriced handheld games (3DS) have even less value.

1-D_FTW

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-27-capcom-resi-evil-3ds-will-retain-value

Basically, you get one save file in Resident Evil: Mercenaries and that's it. No resets. They've actively removed ways to reset your game data. Wanna replay it again without the unlocks/progression? Bzz. Wanna give it to a family member so they can replay without all the unlocks? Bzz. Wanna resell it and have the buyer play it in its original state? BZZ!

It's buried in the official Resident Evil: Mercenaries thread (incredibly, or not, some posters are actually defending it). There's passive aggressive and then there's this. Bravo, Crapcom. You've found new and creative ways is this war to drive away customers. Dedicated handheld games too expensive? "I know, let's give these 40 dollar games even less value. That's the ticket. That's how we'll compete."

This is probably something only people on the internet would really notice, to be honest.

And even then they'd probably buy it anyway.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
First that stupid DRM PSN bullshit, and now this crap.

Holy freaking crap, what a stupid, stupid decision on Capcom's part. I can understand the $10 online pass system, but this seems slimy to me.

And shame on Nintendo for allowing them to do it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Diprosalic said:
bullshit. was looking forward to that game and although i rarely sell my games im not gonna buy it now.

Same here. Skipping now. Idiots.
Edit: Imagine a Pokemon game or whatever without the ability to reset data. Play once, useless forever after.

BeeDog

This is definitely one of the most stupid gaming-related moves I've read in quite a while. Bravo Capcom, you damn dickweed of a company.

Of course they wait until it's pretty much impossible to remove it to tell us.

Seriously though, what's up with Capcom lately? We got them to rescind the SSFIVAE DRM and kinda fix Dante, but there's still the PSN DRM, this, and the lack of AAI2 going against them.

I thought it would have struck them by now that the internet HATES restrictiveness.

Neo C.

That's definitely a new low. I share my games with my brother and my cousin, the no-reset policy is absurd.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
1-D_FTW said:
It's buried in the official Resident Evil: Mercenaries thread (incredibly, or not, some posters are actually defending it).
Ok, I have to see this. *runs to RE thread*

1-D_FTW said:
. Wanna resell it and have the buyer play it in its original state? BZZ!

Since I can't actually read that link at this time. Can someone tell me how does this work?

Are the saves located on the cart or something because I don't see any other way they could stop the efforts of someone else trying to play the game on another machine?

chubigans said:
First that stupid DRM PSN bullshit, and now this crap.

Care to elaborate? I think I might be missing some news here.

edit:
Phoenix_Apollo said:
Seriously though, what's up with Capcom lately? We got them to rescind the SSFIVAE DRM and kinda fix Dante, but there's still the PSN DRM, this, and the lack of AAI2 going against them.

Seriously wth is going on here, I purchased SSFIVAE on PSN a week ago, Am I in for a surprise when I try to boot the game up?

I'm not saying this isn't odd move per se, but I don't see how this effects me while playing this game, personally.

I played Mercs 3D at Captivate, and it's awesome video game, so I'm day 1.

Actually, that reminds me a conversation in a game shop between a mother and the vendor. She asked if she could by a game with advanced save, because ther daughter couldn't go through games by herself, so she prefer that the game offer several levels unlocked already. Then she asked why on the PS3, games were always without any saved progress. So the vendor explains that you couldn't writte on a game disc, so the save data can't be shared throught the disc. The lady couldn't understand and argue that on the DS it could. Cartridge/Disc...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
staticneuron said:
Care to elaborate? I think I might be missing some news here.
Two PSN Capcom games experimented with a new DRM method where you have to be connected to PSN to play Bionic Commando 2 and some other game.

Which was fine, until PSN shut down for a month...rendering those games unplayable for everyone until PSN was back online. :p

MMaRsu

Banned
What the fuuuuuuuuuuck

Seriously guys, it's time to step the fuck up. Gamers need a union to combat all these bullshit 'incentives' to fuck over your loyal customer.

I'm 100% serious, let's do something about this nonsense, then head up into the pre-order DLC direction or something.

chubigans said:
Two PSN Capcom games experimented with a new DRM method where you have to be connected to PSN to play Bionic Commando 2 and some other game.

Which was fine, until PSN shut down for a month...rendering those games unplayable for everyone until PSN was back online. :p

Wow, didn't ubisoft try to pull this silly stunt as well?

Capcom better shape up. I will seriously hesitate on purchasing their next games if I have to jump through hoops just to play em.

Why would they do this anyways.... they sell millions.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Criminal Upper said:
WTF? That's like saying the fact that Capcom has stupid DRM on PSN titles is 100% Sony's fault.
Platform holders should be refusing to license games that do this, at least in my opinion.

Brazil said:
Don't go there. This has nothing to do with Nintendo.
It doesn't? Such a fundamental feature as resetting data should be a platform license requirement. Same as with Sony and Capcom's online DRM for PSN games.

Can't even get angry at that, when the fact that they are selling an enhanced minigame as a full price retail product has totally turned me off anyway.

chubigans said:

wow. thats even worse. is there a way to get your money back? you bought a game and it did not work so you should be able to return it.

Top Bottom