• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom finds way to make overpriced handheld games (3DS) have even less value.

Esperado said:
what happens when you beat the game?
Just imagine if after you beat those JRPGs that was just the end of it. No replaying, none of that, because you've already attained all your progress! Yay you!!

IrishNinja

Esperado said:
what happens when you beat the game?

this right here is the million dollar question. i'm guessing a prompt shows up when you load your game that says "view ending again? yes/no return to title"

FGMPR

Banned
Disgraceful. I don't know what else to say other than I hope it sells like shit and that reviewers rip into the game for this absurdity.

MMaRsu

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
I'm not saying this isn't odd move per se, but I don't see how this effects me while playing this game, personally.

I played Mercs 3D at Captivate, and it's awesome video game, so I'm day 1.

It affects you because you cannot resell it, you can't loan it out and somehow you are going to support this move.

That is how it affects you.

Presumably this will mean it will only support one user profile name as well, so if you *are* planning to whisk through it once and then sell it on its better *not* to refer to yourself as captain felchmaster.

MNC

That's ridiculous. What's the use of this? This is worse than SSFIVAEPC (that's a mouthful) not having all characters unlocked from the start offline, or atleast that's what the original plan was.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wheres our resident Resident Evil maniac (cvxfreak lol :p)

I will not be buying this game at any point with this kind of "feature".

I know the 3DS isn't exactly hitting it's strides in SW and this may even be a decent game but this measure is not acceptable and must not be rewarded with a sale.

There's no defending this, at all.

Neki

DimmuBurgerKing said:
This really makes no sense. You can only play through the game once? No way am I paying full price for this. Rental it is.
What if you rent the game and the game is already beaten?

looool. rental stores be trolling.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Diprosalic said:
wow. thats even worse. is there a way to get your money back? you bought a game and it did not work so you should be able to return it.
I don't believe they ever addressed the issue...anyone know?

So I wonder, will people do the things games tell you not to do, in hopes of erasing it? Stuff like "Don't shut off the power when this icon is on the screen."

Songbird

Prodigal Son
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
If you yank out the cartridge while it's saving, can you corrupt your save file, thus fixing the problem?
And risk corrupting a save that can't be reset? I wouldn't try.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
This sounds slot like Dead Rising 1's save system, except for the refusing to erase your save data.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
absolutely horrible.

Anyone who buys this is part of the problem.
It's a stealth troll. How many people will find out before the awful has already infected them and they have unintentionally supported and spread it?

Mik2121

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
If you yank out the cartridge while it's saving, can you corrupt your save file, thus fixing the problem?
You would potentially end up with a cartridge with a corrupt save file on it, not being able to do anything about it. Sounds like a lot of fun!.

Kerrby

Banned
DimmuBurgerKing said:
This really makes no sense. You can only play through the game once? No way am I paying full price for this. Rental it is.

That's if you get to the game first :lol.

danmaku

staticneuron said:
edit:
Seriously wth is going on here, I purchased SSFIVAE on PSN a week ago, Am I in for a surprise when I try to boot the game up?

No, the DRM was for the PC version and they removed it after the predictable internet rage.

staticneuron said:
Seriously wth is going on here, I purchased SSFIVAE on PSN a week ago, Am I in for a surprise when I try to boot the game up?

The upcoming PC version of Arcade Edition had some funky features where in offline only part of the roster was available to you. It was taken away on the basis that pirates would be able to get a better gaming experience than the regular, paying customer.

...Not that they don't in most cases already.

Truth101

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Platform holders should be refusing to license games that do this, at least in my opinion.

It doesn't? Such a fundamental feature as resetting data should be a platform license requirement. Same as with Sony and Capcom's online DRM for PSN games.

No it doesn't have anything at all to do with Nintendo.

1-D_FTW

wrowa said:
" overpriced handheld games (3DS)"

Nice troll, I guess?

Call it a troll if you want, but in the real world, games are getting cheaper. The ipod/iphone, whether you like it or not, is a competitor for time/money.

Certain companies deciding they're not only going to ignore market trends, but make their stogy business model have even less value is mystifying.

And that's not even accounting for how Valve just made TF2 Free to Play and saw a massive jump in it's player base. The road to irrelevancy begins with ignoring market trends and deciding to punish your stalwart customers even more.

FGMPR

Banned
I've heard people refer to Steam games as 'rentals'. That was hyperbole, this isn't. You are paying full price for a rental.

It's insane.

I don´t believe that you are not going to be able to restart a game from the beginning, it sounds like some metal gear solid trick.

This is very interesting. Hopefully someone could do a better job explaining the implications of this. However it doesn't look like a big issue for this game since its made to replay the missions for better times and scores.

Truth101

Banned
Also, this is a score attack game even if you go through all the missions you can continue to do it over and over again. There really is no beating the game.

It honestly isn't that big of a deal

NM0dz

Neo Member
gee, what the hell is capcom thinking?

i sometimes lend games to my friends, but if it comes at the cost of losing out on experiences for myself, or my friends not being able to play the game 'as it was meant to be played', then i won't bother lending out anymore.

hell i may not even buy the game at all, purely on principal.

but either way, i think capcom is selling themselves short here. all this does is piss off the userbase and restrict people showing their friends their 'cool new game'.

so disappointing : /

Truth101 said:
Also, this is a score attack game even if you go through all the missions you can continue to do it over and over again. There really is no beating the game.

yeah but i guess you unlock mission and characters and costumes and so on. and this is part of the fun.

I will still get this game, as you can still compete for higher scores. It is a rotten decision that you can't reset your save file.
However I am not paying for the game personally as I used coupons, but of course Capcom is still getting money for it.

mclem

Truth101 said:

Well, yes and no.

Yes, it's a score attack game, and all the hyperbole of "If you want to play through it again, you have to buy a new copy!". You play it, you unlock some stuff, you play it again. Rinse and repeat. It's no different from, say, the Mario Kart school of game design.

But all that said: You still should have the *option* of removing all your unlocks and starting from scratch. Particularly when the game may be purchased second-hand, I want to earn my own stuff.

-PXG-

This is pretty funny....Funny that Capcom would do something this fucking stupid.

I think this pic sums up my thoughts

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Clunker

IrishNinja said:
this right here is the million dollar question. i'm guessing a prompt shows up when you load your game that says "view ending again? yes/no return to title"
Not that I am defending this at all (I think it's shitty, and while I'm not actively boycotting, I was planning on getting it used through Goozex, so now I'll just wait until I can buy it new cheaper), but to be clear: RE: Mercenaries has no ending, or at least that I know of. It's the score attack arcade mode that was bundled in with RE4 and RE5, only with light RPG elements that let you upgrade each character, and some unlockable characters. You play a level, you get a score, you go back to the menu. It's Geometry Wars starring Hunk and Wesker.

Having the characters unlocked is fine by me (I actually really dislike having to unlock new characters in fighting games, just like I hated unlocking songs in older Guitar Hero/Rock Band games), but the skills part is pretty crappy to not be able to do again from the beginning. I think having leaderboard data non-resettable is the worst part, as you might be up against massive high scores that would take you ages to top, and you wouldn't have played the game with gradually increasing skill strength to learn the game's balances.

Mik2121

CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
Wait you can replay the game, you just can't erase everything right?
You can probably start a "new game", but you won't be able to unlock stuff again, because there's only one save file. It will be like having a racing game where on your first game you keep unlocking new tracks and cars, but you won't be able to start from 0 again, ever. So if you lend the game to some friend, he will have all unlocked without the option to start again. If you buy the game second hand, you won't be unlocking anything the previous owner already unlocked, killing part of the fun of advancing through the game.

-PXG-

I almost forgot.

Congrats Capcom. Now you gave people a reason to hack/ reverse engineer your software and the 3DS. GG.

Aren't the Phoenix Wright games like this too? Once you unlock a case, you can't reset the game to lock it again.

I might be wrong, there could be some hidden code to reset the game data and obviously Phoenix Wright doesn't have unlockable characters or anything that changes up the scenario, but it is a Capcom handheld game series.

Yagharek

I'm glad they revealed this before I bought it, unlike Final Fight PSN.

A definite sale just turned into a no-sale.

KevinCow

Banned
This game has turned into a pretty huge clusterfuck.

Like, the concept is cool. Take that mini-game from RE4 and 5, and make it its own spin-off! Since it's now the main course, they can put all their resources into it and make it bigger and more amazing than before! They can have it span across the whole Resident Evil instead of just being tied to one game!

Wait, they're only including the stages from RE4 and 5? That's, uh... huh.

And only 8 characters? No Leon or Ada? I mean they're basically porting stuff from the 4 and 5 Mercs modes, you'd think they'd at least have all the characters from those games. But nope, I guess not.

And now this.

Mik2121 said:
You can probably start a "new game", but you won't be able to unlock stuff again, because there's only one save file. It will be like having a racing game where on your first game you keep unlocking new tracks and cars, but you won't be able to start from 0 again, ever. So if you lend the game to some friend, he will have all unlocked without the option to start again. If you buy the game second hand, you won't be unlocking anything the previous owner already unlocked, killing part of the fun of advancing through the game.
Why should a person you loan the game to or someone who bought the game second hand get the full experience. I agree the move sucks, but I don't think Capcom owes them anything.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If this is the direction the games industry is heading I'm out. I don't like my right to sell the game after I'm done with it being taken away.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
danmaku said:
No, the DRM was for the PC version and they removed it after the predictable internet rage.
Predictable and well founded. Don't misinterpret the gamers being screwed with such an irrational move by Crapcom.

Yagharek

CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
Why should a person you loan the game to or someone who bought the game second hand get the full experience. I agree the move sucks, but I don't think Capcom owes them anything.

So if I loan a friend a book or dvd I should rip out random chapters or scratch the disc at strategic points so they dont get "the full experience"?

Just checking what your publisher overlords deem acceptable.

Top Bottom