• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom finds way to make overpriced handheld games (3DS) have even less value.

A person that bought the game can restart any time. You just can't erase the data. The reason I talk about piracy is because people that got the game second hand would be screwed. But I guess having a different opinion could be interpreted as thread derailment. Sorry for that. I won't post in this thread any more, but thats how I feel.

Man, I have been looking forward to to getting this tomorrow; I played and finish every Resident Evil made but always thought the Mercenaries parts were not worth my time, this would have been a completely new game to me.

Adding RPG elements and online co-op made it impossible for me to skip this, but after getting Zelda last week I'm kinda broke. Had I realized this game was coming out the week after, I would have never bought Zelda to begin with. Unfortunately I asked my brother to split the price with me last night and he agreed after I preached the evil word to him :( and now ...
I will have to act as if I got caught unaware after we buy it if he doesn't see this deuce first.

WTF is wrong with capcom, WHY DO THIS? are they hoping somebody in my position would then buy 2 copies? In that case they can shove their sweet garbage up.......

CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
Look DS piracy was insane last gen. I personally know someone who has 30 games, 2 he got legally "because I bought them as a present" and everything else he downloaded. What do you expect Capcom to do? Again I don't agree with what they are doing but I can understand why. I don't think Capcom owes people that didn't buy the game anything. If you bought the game second hand or got it for free from a friend then not resetting the game is something you should just deal with.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DRM directly causes results to people who legally purchase games as opposed to those who don't. #IDon'tBuyIt.

This is nothing but DRM derivative...

Yagharek

A person that bought the game can restart any time. You just can't erase the data. The reason I talk about piracy is because people that got the game second hand would be screwed.

Why do you equate deleting saves with piracy?
Why do you equate second hand sales with piracy?

Why cant gamers delete their save file/manage multiple save files as with every other game?

Tucah

you speak so well
This is shitty but as someone who has never traded in a game, bought a game used and wouldn't have ever deleted the save file anyway, I'm still buying this.

Jocchan said:
And, once again, pirates will get a better experience than paying customers.
Disappointing.

100% this. Instead of giving more incentives for people to actually buy the game they are punishing the people already doing the right thing.

So let's see, we have a 3DS troll in the overpriced games comment, we have classic GAF contraditions when on the one hand used games sales should condemn you to hell but when a measure comes in to try and prevent it its a no buy.

How much in this game is really lost by not being able to delete data? Also, how hard is it buying a new copy, especially when after a year or two the price will be much lower for this new?

Neki

Edag Plata said:
So let's see, we have a 3DS troll in the overpriced games comment, we have classic GAF contraditions when on the one hand used games sales should condemn you to hell but when a measure comes in to try and prevent it its a no buy.

How much in this game is really lost by not being able to delete data? Also, how hard is it buying a new copy, especially when after a year or two the price will be much lower for this new?

are you actually trying to defend this type of implementation of a save system? what benefits do the consumer receive by not being able to reset data in their game?

Hanmik

Ultimoo said:
are you actually trying to defend this type of implementation of a save system? what benefits do the consumer receive by not being able to reset data in their game?

they don´t have to play the game themselves any more.. just buy it used and you have finished the game..

or .....
NOTHING

LiK

This is BS. My copy shipped from Capcom before this news came out. I dont feel like returning to Capcom since I need to pay for shipping. Why is Capcom so retarded...

KevinCow

Banned
The reason I talk about piracy is because people that got the game second hand would be screwed.

What?

Edag Plata said:
Also, how hard is it buying a new copy, especially when after a year or two the price will be much lower for this new?

What?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ultimoo said:

He actually sounds like "If you want to play again after 2 years, just buy it again for a clean savegame."

There are quite some ... people in this thread. Unbelievable.

Edag Plata said:

I find it incredible that there are people that will defend any anti-consumer measure from any company.

Edag Plata said:

Not sure if serious. Why should we have to buy a new copy of the game if we decide to replay it later?

I'm actually alright with online passes and DRM and shit like that, the logic behind it doesn't get me ruffled, but this is really outrageous.

SmokyDave

Edag Plata said:

They must see you coming a mile off.

I'm not one to replay games over and over (with a few exceptions) so this wouldn't bother me, but the game itself bothers me lol, I'll wait for a bomba and grab it for $15.

Yagharek

Sir_Crocodile said:
I find it incredible that there are people that will defend any anti-consumer measure from any company.

They probably email said companies and propose new restrictive anti-consumer DRM measures.

Zenith

Banned
Edag Plata said:

Viral marketer or Capcom shill?

Pirates still get the better deal, again.

Ace 8095

Edag Plata said:
Also, how hard is it buying a new copy, especially when after a year or two the price will be much lower for this new?
This is one of the weirdest defenses I've ever read of GAF.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ace 8095 said:
This is one of the weirdest defenses I've ever read of GAF.

Its not weird, its plain stupid.

matmanx1

Pretty crappy of Capcom, honestly, not to include some means of resetting the save data. I will not defend that because it's a stupid decision.

I will defend the game itself, however, because it's pretty darn good. Yes, it's Mercenaries and yes it reuses assets from previous games but it also tweaks some things for the better and adds some nifty elements that weren't in previous iterations. It feels and looks great for a pick up and play portable title and there's certainly a bunch of content on the cartridge if you are looking to unlock all characters, weapons, skills and medals. It's a quality title.

onken

Edag Plata said:

Gee what do you know, trying to paint an entire forum with tens of thousands of active users into the same opinion doesn't make any sense. Any more startling insight for us?

That second part is a joke, right?

Don't know how anyone could defend this. Truly a disgusting move on Capcom's behalf, ensuring that pirates get an even better experience (in comparison to paying customers) than they normally do.

A person that bought the game can restart any time. You just can't erase the data.

You contradict yourself. The stuff in the game has been unlocked. There's no way to play through the game's unlocking progression tree again. Sucks to be the gamer who bought this game.

Before you ask, yes, I do reset unlocking progression trees. I did it for Meteos and it was a blast the second time too.

The reason I talk about piracy is because people that got the game second hand would be screwed.

The reason you talk about piracy is because people assume that if piracy is involved, the publisher and developer can do fuck all to the consumer and it's all justified because, hey, we're losing money here folks, time to throw out that pesky baggage like treating the consumer like anything other than shit.

This does nothing to harm the piracy community (which 3DS does not yet have). This harms the legit paying customer and anyone that customer wants to sell that game to after they are done, which despite whatever you may believe is legal and moral.

Capcom's move is of the lowest degree yet, and I have no doubt it will be topped and defended by people such as you. 'Tis life.

bumpkin

Not that I'm trying to be the guy who sympathizes with "big business," but have they actually confirmed that this was intentional and not just an accidental omission? With such a short window between the Japanese and American releases, it seems possible to me that it was missed and there just wasn't enough time to go back and make the changes... At least IMO.

yeah thats stupid, and I intend buying and never selling. I like to restart my own characters after not playing the game for a very long time.

makes the decision the wait for price drop even easier
though I would have bought the special edition if it wasn't sold out at capcom online

Averon

Why has Capcom become so draconian regarding DRM lately?

edit: What if there is some game breaking bug that forces you to start over but can't due to this? You basically have a worthless game now.

Hanmik

bumpkin said:
Not that I'm trying to be the guy who sympathizes with "big business," but have they actually confirmed that this was intentional and not just an accidental omission? With such a short window between the Japanese and American releases, it seems possible to me that it was missed and there just wasn't enough time to go back and make the changes... At least IMO.

there is an danish article about it here:

http://www.gamereactor.dk/nyheder/84697/Capcom+til+kamp+mod+brugtsalg?/

there you can see a picture of the manual saying: NOTE: saved data on this software cannot be reset.

Barrett2

Edag Plata said:

-_-

Yagharek

hardcastle_mccormick said:
You contradict yourself. The stuff in the game has been unlocked. There's no way to play through the game's unlocking progression tree again. Sucks to be the gamer who bought this game.

Before you ask, yes, I do reset unlocking progression trees. I did it for Meteos and it was a blast the second time too.

The reason you talk about piracy is because people assume that if piracy is involved, the publisher and developer can do fuck all to the consumer and it's all justified because, hey, we're losing money here folks, time to throw out that pesky baggage like treating the consumer like anything other than shit.

This does nothing to harm the piracy community (which 3DS does not yet have). This harms the legit paying customer and anyone that customer wants to sell that game to after they are done, which despite whatever you may believe is legal and moral.

Capcom's move is of the lowest degree yet, and I have no doubt it will be topped and defended by people such as you. 'Tis life.

I love this post.

Mael

AWESOME! This year is fantastic so far! Noone wants my money meaning that I get to use my money elsewhere.
Thank you Capcom, your games might have pushed me into buying a 3ds but not anymore :lol.

Truth101 said:
Also, this is a score attack game even if you go through all the missions you can continue to do it over and over again. There really is no beating the game.

It honestly isn't that big of a deal

yeah, i have the game and these are pretty much my thoughts. i would never want to erase the data, because it's all about improving on your cumulative efforts.

it's a dumb move, but has precisely zero effect on how i personally value my purchase (then again, i never really sell games on, especially ones as fun as biohazard mercenaries).

Barrett2

The depressing stuff about this kind of thing is it shows what little regard publishers have for their paying consumers. The idea that you would put punitive measures like this into your product, which adversely affect every single purchaser of the product, in hopes that you manage to make a few extra bucks off the small handful of people that say: "well, I guess I have to buy a new copy now!"

Sectus

I think people should have raged about the save system in RE5 instead as that's more annoying. If you want to start from scratch in RE5 you had to delete the entire savegame, otherwise you were stuck with new game+ forever.

I honestly don't see a huge issue with this deal. It's like resetting your unlocks/scores in RE5 Mercs, which is something I'd never wanna do. I practically never buy used games, so it doesn't bother me that way either.

Somnid

It's kinda interesting when you think about it. As far as I can tell it doesn't change anything from a gameplay standpoint. The only thing it's inhibiting is your own desire to see things unlocked, you are forever reminded someone played the game before you.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did anyone actually try the hard reset data command that someone posted in the thread earlier? I'm just wondering if there's a way to override.

Sectus said:
I think people should have raged about the save system in RE5 instead as that's more annoying. If you want to start from scratch in RE5 you had to delete the entire savegame, otherwise you were stuck with new game+ forever.

I honestly don't see a huge issue with this deal. It's like resetting your unlocks/scores in RE5 Mercs, which is something I'd never wanna do. I practically never buy used games, so it doesn't bother me that way either.

The issue here is that RE:Mercenaries has more RPG-ish elements to it, I believe, unlike previous Mercenaries where you just unlock characters and stages.

Top Bottom