• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom finds way to make overpriced handheld games (3DS) have even less value.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I like how they can't say anything more than what they've said. Because we all know they're lying about their excuses.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mark on the 8-4 Play podcast articulated a great point I'd had swimming around in the back of my head for a while, regarding this issue.

It's dumb. Really dumb. But I'm not convinced Capcom are out to fuck over consumers for profit with this 'system'. It just seems like either a relatively big oversight or an exceptionally bad crunch decision.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DukeTogo1300 said:
Though, the guy just couldn't help but show his true colors with the 'conspiracy' comment. Real graceful Mr. Butthurt.

Because Capcom has never done anything of this sort before, ever.

teiresias

ezekial45 said:
Here it is. It's the first question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSffezZJD0

He actually says, "I don't think you'll see something like this happening again." Not "You won't see" or "it won't be done", but he doesn't THINK it will happen again.

I don't know who these english speaking guys are (don't follow Capcom's social media or devs alot really), but what say do they have over the Japanese devs making these games that they can assure me that executive decision making at a Japanese company won't let this happen again? Color me not convinced.

Rez said:
Mark on the 8-4 Play podcast articulated a great point I'd had swimming around in the back of my head for a while, regarding this issue.

It's dumb. Really dumb. But I'm not convinced Capcom are out to fuck over consumers for profit with this 'system'. It just seems like either a relatively big oversight or an exceptionally bad crunch decision.

How likely is it that they "accidently added a feature" that dicks people over and has never been used before that I know of? Seems pretty amazing that this didn't "accidently" happen before if it's such a common mistake. Plus their bullshit backpedaling of "we wanted to give the arcade experience!" doesn't exactly help things.

teiresias said:
He actually says, "I don't think you'll see something like this happening again." Not "You won't see" or "it won't be done", but he doesn't THINK it will happen again.

I don't know who these english speaking guys are (don't follow Capcom's social media or devs alot really), but what say do they have over the Japanese devs making these games that they can assure me that executive decision making at a Japanese company won't let this happen again? Color me not convinced.
Yeah, he just seems like a PR goon to me, and at the very least can only speak for Capcom NA. I don't believe for a second that Capcom is done with the shady moves, but with all the shots fired over this particular move I don't expect to see it again for a long time. Their acknowledgment of the outrage shows we have a little more power now, but both this incident as well as the power we have will fade from gamer's memories over time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Theoretically, it isn't that they removed a feature, it's just they, in a moment of insanity, looked at their timeline and decided to just leave it on the wayside, and then never actually got around to putting it back in.

I'm not saying THIS DEFINITELY HAPPENED or YOU GUYS ARE WRONG TO BE UPSET, it's just, you know, I don't think this scenario is entirely out of the equation. I think there are a handful of potentially valid explanations (relating to entirely poor decisions) that aren't inherently sinister.

It isn't like Capcom can admit "we done fucked up". The amount of retail chaos it would cause would be just absurd.

Rez said:

I listened to it too and I agree with him. I think it was just a stupid oversight on their part.

Rez said:
Theoretically, it isn't that they removed a feature, it's just they, in a moment of insanity, looked at their timeline and decided to just leave it on the wayside, and then never actually got around to putting it back in.

I'm not saying THIS DEFINITELY HAPPENED or YOU GUYS ARE WRONG TO BE UPSET, it's just, you know, I don't think this scenario is entirely out of the equation. I think there are a handful of potentially valid explanations (relating to entirely poor decisions) that aren't inherently sinister.

It isn't like Capcom can admit "we done fucked up". The amount of retail chaos it would cause would be just absurd.
The video earlier in the thread about the accessory that connects 3DS carts to a PC showed us the ability to reset the data exists within the game. Maybe that won't convince everyone, but for me that pretty much dispels the idea that this was a mistake.

They don't so much have to admit that they fucked up, but I think it would be better for the guy to say that it wasn't their intention, but that he can understand how bad it looks. To call us conspiracy theorists is bad form, and to me says he cannot see or admit how bad this looks. He's either being a sour puss, or going for an overly-strong position because he thinks it is more reassuring to gamers that way. I would be more reassured if he admitted it looked bad and that he understood the backlash, but then I am just one guy.

Top Bottom