• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom finds way to make overpriced handheld games (3DS) have even less value.

dr3upmushroom said:
How am I being obnoxious? This "unlocking basic features is fun and accomplishing" idea really is just ridiculous to me.

To use an analogy, let's say there's a weight loss program where you earn a medal every time you lose ten pounds. I want to go through the program because if I lose weight, I can climb things, have an easier time flirting with fit people, sweat less, and live longer. Going through the process of losing weight sucks, but there are practical benefits, so I'll put up with it. However, I would much prefer it if I hadn't had to go through the program and had just started out fit.

There's this other group of people, on the other, that are so enamored with those medals that when they finally reach their ideal BMI, all they can think to do is gain all the weight back just to go through the program again. Their way is much better, they say, since they get to feel a constant sense of progression, whereas foolish me doesn't get this pleasure.

I'll put up with the unlocking in Mercenaries because I want to try out the different skills and characters, but those skills and characters exist for the practical purpose of giving you more options to play the game with. I really don't see the fun in earning these options and then just resetting the game to go through the motions of unlocking them all over again.

I want to make it clear in case anyone misunderstands, I think that the save issue is lame if you're going to let someone borrow the game or sell it. Some people want a fresh copy, and while I'd rather have everything unlocked from the get go in this particular game, if they don't, that's fine.

However, anyone who is upset because they won't be able to reset the game and unlock everything for a second (or third... Or fourth...) time themselves is a fool in my book.
I think we're going to need another analogy, I am really close to grasping your ideals on the only way videogames should be made and enjoyed. I love that you are hurling insults now, you just refuse to consider that you may be a little off the mark here, or that this might just be a case of 'different strokes'.

Nemesis_

dr3upmushroom said:
How am I being obnoxious? This "unlocking basic features is fun and accomplishing" idea really is just ridiculous to me.

To use an analogy, let's say there's a weight loss program where you earn a medal every time you lose ten pounds. I want to go through the program because if I lose weight, I can climb things, have an easier time flirting with fit people, sweat less, and live longer. Going through the process of losing weight sucks, but there are practical benefits, so I'll put up with it. However, I would much prefer it if I hadn't had to go through the program and had just started out fit.

There's this other group of people, on the other, that are so enamored with those medals that when they finally reach their ideal BMI, all they can think to do is gain all the weight back just to go through the program again. Their way is much better, they say, since they get to feel a constant sense of progression, whereas foolish me doesn't get this pleasure.

I'll put up with the unlocking in Mercenaries because I want to try out the different skills and characters, but those skills and characters exist for the practical purpose of giving you more options to play the game with. I really don't see the fun in earning these options and then just resetting the game to go through the motions of unlocking them all over again.

I want to make it clear in case anyone misunderstands, I think that the save issue is lame if you're going to let someone borrow the game or sell it. Some people want a fresh copy, and while I'd rather have everything unlocked from the get go in this particular game, if they don't, that's fine.

However, anyone who is upset because they won't be able to reset the game and unlock everything for a second (or third... Or fourth...) time themselves is a fool in my book.

I don't really care about the whole Save Game fiasco but this is a terrible analogy. =/

Nemesis556 said:
I don't really care about the whole Save Game fiasco but this is a terrible analogy. =/
Seems pretty sound to me. Those skills are there to make the game more enjoyable.

When this game was made, do you think the developers thought "What skills can we incorporate that will make the gameplay more enjoyable" or "Let's make as many skills as we can since they are fun to unlock"?

DukeTogo1300 said:
^
I don't know, you're the only one here talking about the skills.
I guessed you missed the people who claimed that unlocking them is the main fun in this game.

This thread reminds me a time a co-worker bought a PSP and was saying that it didn't have many games. I asked him what he had and it was mostly just sports stuff, so I let him borrow Lumines. He returned it a few days later and I told him I didn't need it back anytime soon, he could keep it longer.

He says "No, that's OK, I'm done with it."

I was like "Oh, you didn't like it?"

He says, "No, It was cool but I beat it already."

He played until the skins started to repeat and called it a day. At the time I thought it was funny and chalked it up to him normally being a Madden and Halo kind of guy, but apparently that mindset is present on GAF too.

Except on GAF people erase their save data and start again.

D-Pad

dr3upmushroom said:
I guess we are. I think learning how to play the different character is a lot more fun than filling out icons on a select screen. One of the most frustrating things about Brawl was that two of the characters they hyped up the most, Sonic and Snake, weren't available from the beginning.

Again, to me the fun is getting better at the game and becoming more able to beat other players, not playing through the game until the point at which the it's decided I've earned the privilege to play as a character. I would have loved if Brawl came with all the characters and levels out of the box, I bought the game because I enjoy the mechanics of it.

Okay, then what about afterwards? After you have unlocked the stages and characters in Brawl, there's still things like the trophies, music tracks, and such to unlock. It's not required to become a better fighter or anything, but it pushes the player to try and accomplish a challenge they would otherwise never bother with.

Thus, rewards also let the developers introduce a new way of completing objectives one may not otherwise try. I.E., shooting only a certain type of asteroid while only spinning counter-clockwise may unlock something... If this reward was not present, what would help drive the player to attempt such a seemingly impossible task? I remember one in Halo Reach in particular where you're to melee an enemy while falling from a height that'll usually kill you. The reward wasn't anything special IIRC (I believe it was only an achievement), and it didn't unlock anything that'll help me in the game, but it did drive me to try and it felt particularly good when I succeeded.

SmokyDave

Has anybody mentioned the UK TV advert yet?

The first thing it mentions is 'Unlockable Items To Customise Your Character!'.

I giggled.

dr3upmushroom said:
You should go and tell the marketing team at Nintendo. They seem to be under a different impression.

dr3upmushroom said:
I guessed you missed the people who claimed that unlocking them is the main fun in this game.

This thread reminds me a time a co-worker bought a PSP and was saying that it didn't have many games. I asked him what he had and it was mostly just sports stuff, so I let him borrow Lumines. He returned it a few days later and I told him I didn't need it back anytime soon, he could keep it longer.

He says "No, that's OK, I'm done with it."

I was like "Oh, you didn't like it?"

He says, "No, It was cool but I beat it already."

He played until the skins started to repeat and called it a day. At the time I thought it was funny and chalked it up to him normally being a Madden and Halo kind of guy, but apparently that mindset is present on GAF too.

Except on GAF people erase their save data and start again.
The unlockables I am more concerned about are the extra characters, weapons, and skins. You know, the fun stuff Capcom usually hides in this series. They will be more challenging to unlock than the skills. Don't get me wrong, it is frustrating that the skills are unlocked forever too, but big tangible unlocks like characters or guns will feel like a substantial accomplishment for most.

You've argued our position on resetting saves in the stupidest way you could think of. I'm not going to play something like Mario Kart and unlock everything, then delete the save and start doing it again as soon as I'm finished. It would be nice though to have the option to repeat those challenges in about a year or so when I feel like coming back to it. This specific time frame has been mentioned several times by others, and if not specifically mentioned I assumed that is what everyone meant.

D-Pad said:
Okay, then what about afterwards? After you have unlocked the stages and characters in Brawl, there's still things like the trophies, music tracks, and such to unlock. It's not required to become a better fighter or anything, but it pushes the player to try and accomplish a challenge they would otherwise never bother with.

Thus, rewards also let the developers introduce a new way of completing objectives one may not otherwise try. I.E., shooting only a certain type of asteroid while only spinning counter-clockwise may unlock something... If this reward was not present, what would help drive the player to attempt such a seemingly impossible task? I remember one in Halo Reach in particular where you're to melee an enemy while falling from a height that'll usually kill you. The reward wasn't anything special IIRC (I believe it was only an achievement), and it didn't unlock anything that'll help me in the game, but it did drive me to try and it felt particularly good when I succeeded.
Stuff like those achievements are fun, but I don't think they need any reward attached. To me, the achievement isn't a reward, it's proof that I did something skillful. It may seem like a subtle difference, but there are people who view the achievement as the worthwhile goal of the game, hence games in Halo and TF2 set up in order to farm achievements.

As far as the music and trophies and whatnot in Brawl, that's fine. The idea of those things making me want to play more is ridiculous, but if some people want that, it's not hurting my enjoyment of the game to have them included.

My beef is when actual gameplay has to be unlocked in what is basically a purely competitive game. Skills and loadouts in Mercs, characters in fighting games, stuff like that.

If Capcom would have put a ton of those capsule things from the extras in RE5, if that would have been sufficient to keep collectors playing then I wish they would have had that for those people and had all of the gameplay stuff unlocked for people who just want to play the game.

DukeTogo1300 said:
The unlockables I am more concerned about are the extra characters, weapons, and skins. You know, the fun stuff Capcom usually hides in this series. They will be more challenging to unlock than the skills. Don't get me wrong, it is frustrating that the skills are unlocked forever too, but big tangible unlocks like characters or guns will feel like a substantial accomplishment for most.

You've argued our position on resetting our saves in the stupidest way you could think of. I'm not going to play something like Mario Kart and unlock everything, then delete the save and start doing it again as soon as I'm finished. It would be nice though to have the option to repeat those challenges in about a year or so when I feel like coming back to it. This specific time frame has been mentioned several times by others, and if not specifically mentioned I assumed that is what everyone meant.
I think we've covered this distinction enough so I'm just going to drop it after this, but Mercs isn't Mario Kart. When you start Mario Kart, you already have a character from each weight class and depending on the game, vehicles for a few different types of handling. Everything you're unlocking is cosmetic, more or less.

In Mercs you are arbitrarily limited to a small set of options so that people can feel accomplished as they unlock the rest.

Again, if you don't get this you don't get it and I'm done trying to explain this specific point, but you shouldn't have to unlock gameplay options in a score attack game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
SmokyDave said:
Has anybody mentioned the UK TV advert yet?

The first thing it mentions is 'Unlockable Items To Customise Your Character!'.

I giggled.

You should go and tell the marketing team at Nintendo. They seem to be under a different impression.

X-Play here in the states is pushing the ever living shit out of RE:M3D

Last week and this week same f'n trailer, not 1 quip about the save fiasco

I'm so waiting for that review

dr3upmushroom said:
I think we've covered this distinction enough so I'm just going to drop it after this, but Mercs isn't Mario Kart. When you start Mario Kart, you already have a character from each weight class and depending on the game, vehicles for a few different types of handling. Everything you're unlocking is cosmetic, more or less.

In Mercs you are arbitrarily limited to a small set of options so that people can feel accomplished as they unlock the rest.

Again, if you don't get this you don't get it and I'm done trying to explain this specific point, but you shouldn't have to unlock gameplay options in a score attack game.
You keep quoting this as fact, and I just don't understand why. When did this happen?

This is perhaps not a fair comparison, but I've been feeling more and more like Capcom's turning into the next Activision. Most of the developers I cared about don't work there anymore, they're outsourcing established franchises, and they keep pulling DRM crap like this. I'm really starting to think twice about buying a game if it has Capcom on it.

Except Monster Hunter. That game is just too addicting.

Anyway, I'm boycotting this.

DukeTogo1300 said:
You keep quoting this as fact, and I just don't understand why. When did this happen?
It's just lame and unnecessary. Anyone who is really into Mercs isn't playing the game for any reason other than to learn the maps and characters and get high scores. Having a majority of the gameplay options locked off when you first start the game because some people think that being arbitrarily limited is fun is annoying.

I should say too that this is a lot worse in Mercs because Mercs is a known game. Many of the people who already like the game have played it before on console, and it sucks not to have your favorite character or map initially available. Instead you get to earn the right to use them, since that's how some people get their kicks.

dr3upmushroom said:
It's just lame and unnecessary. Anyone who is really into Mercs isn't playing the game for any reason other than to learn the maps and characters and get high scores. Having a majority of the gameplay options locked off when you first start the game because some people think that being arbitrarily limited is fun is annoying.

I should say too that this is a lot worse in Mercs because Mercs is a known game. Many of the people who already like the game have played it before on console, and it sucks not to have your favorite character or map initially available. Instead you get to earn the right to use them, since that's how some people get their kicks.
Once again, nothing but ideals, absolutes, and assumptions. Your critical miss here is that you only seem to be able to approach a subject from the context of yourself. You've got it all figured out in that regard, but you seem to have zero consideration or objectivity beyond that.

DukeTogo1300 said:
Once again, nothing but ideals, absolutes, and assumptions. Your critical miss here is that you only seem to be able to approach a subject from the context of yourself. You've got it all figured out in that regard, but you seem to have zero consideration or objectivity beyond that.
I think the same could be said of you. If we tracked the hours played of people who are all into the unlockables and people who don't give a shit, I'd bet a lot that the latter group would come out far ahead.

Sure that's assumption, and sure, I'm assuming that a group of people will conform to the way I'll play the game, but that doesn't mean I'm not right.

dr3upmushroom said:
I think the same could be said of you. If we tracked the hours played of people who are all into the unlockables and people who don't give a shit, I'd bet a lot that the latter group would come out far ahead.

Sure that's assumption, and sure, I'm assuming that a group of people will conform to the way I'll play the game, but that doesn't mean I'm not right.
As I mentioned before, just because one gameplay mechanic seems more substantial for prolonging the value of a game, does not invalidate the competitors. Score attack can be improved upon infinitely, that is impressive, but you talk as if these gamers looking for alternate mechanics deserve no consideration at all. You also regard these mechanics as way more fringe than they really are. Lastly, I am interested in both mechanics, they offer different forms of stimulation and both serve to prolong the life of my game purchase. I think my Mario Kart comparison was pretty spot on btw.

DukeTogo1300 said:

It's just a way to simulate progress. Score Attack games should be fun regardless of unlockable content. If the game becomes boring after having unlocked everything it is proof that the game itself isn't worth much. The artificial locking of gameplay elements is mostly a sign that the developers aren't quite sure the gameplay on its own is worth playing for long.

There are exceptions, where unlocking stuff actually enhances gameplay, and is part of a learning curve, but those examples are really rare.

I could see the point that people are upset about this feature in a Story driven game, but here... I really don't see the big fuss.
Zenith said:
Imagine if you only had the option to play New Game+ in something like RE4.

Sell all your stuff and start fresh? I don't see the problem there...

DukeTogo1300 said:
As I mentioned before, just because one gameplay mechanic seems more substantial for prolonging the value of a game, does not invalidate the competitors. Score attack can be improved upon infinitly, that is impressive, but you talk as if these gamers looking for alternate mechanics deserve no consideration at all. You also regard these mechanics as way more fringe than they really are. Lastly, I am interested in both mechanics, they offer different forms of stimulation and both serve to prolong the life of my game purchase. I think my Mario Kart comparison was pretty spot on btw.
When did I ever say that any group of gamers doesn't deserve attention? All I said was that I don't like gameplay being locked in competitive games. If people feel like unlocking stuff is the most fun thing to do in a game, I don't really care, just make the unlockables cosmetic like costumes or trinkets like the Smash Bros. trophies.

Like I already explained, you start Mario Kart with at least one driver of each weight class unlocked. Imagine if you started the game with Toad, Baby Mario, and Koopa and had to play through the single-player cups in order to see how medium and heavy weight drivers handle. That's what Mercenaries is like.

In Mario new characters are more or less cosmetic since their weight class is the key determinant in how they play, and you start out with characters in each class. Each character in Mercs plays drastically different, and you have to earn the ability to try them. I'm not sure how to make the difference any more clear.

boris feinbrand said:
It's just a way to simulate progress. Score Attack games should be fun regardless of unlockable content. If the game becomes boring after having unlocked everything it is proof that the game itself isn't worth much. The artificial locking of gameplay elements is mostly a sign that the developers aren't quite sure the gameplay on its own is worth playing for long.

There are exceptions, where unlocking stuff actually enhances gameplay, and is part of a learning curve, but those examples are really rare.

I could see the point that people are upset about this feature in a Story driven game, but here... I really don't see the big fuss.
Once again, I am not only interested in the unlocks, I like score attack games. Besides, I don't buy that not having all unlocked content hinders a score attack game. I will be just as interested in my top score with the pistol as my top score with the bazooka. For someone like me these extra weapons can provide nothing but new challenges to set for myself. This game is already waist deep in hardcore gamer territory, where things like knife only runs through RE games are expected. You can't just assume that everyone anxious for the more powerful weapons are bored or need an advantage because they suck. You give people no credit man.

hamchan

Actually there are differences in how characters control with different karts in Mario Kart... Right? Like, I always found my best combo in MK DS to be Dry Bones with Dry Bomber.

DukeTogo1300 said:
Once again, I am not only interested in the unlocks, I like score attack games. Besides, I don't buy that not having all unlocked content hinders a score attack game. I will be just as interested in my top score with the pistol as my top score with the bazooka. For someone like me these extra weapons can provide nothing but new challenges to set for myself. This game is already waist deep in hardcore gamer territory, where things like knife only runs through RE games are expected. You can't just assume that everyone anxious for the more powerful weapons are bored or need an advantage because they suck. You give people no credit man.
Actually, I think you're the one underestimating people. Most have this ability called "self-control" that, among other things, would allow them to challenge themselves by using only a pistol or bazooka or whatever nonsense you're going on about. Having everything unlocked doesn't keep you from doing these things, just like (and this may be hard for some in this thread to believe) people did cool, new, creative things in games just for the fun of it far before there were achievement made to explicitly encourage them.

And I would always get schooled when my friends used the new vehicles because I refused to use anything other than Toad or Koopa Twins. It is more than just cosmetic, despite all the balancing in place.

hamchan said:
Actually there are differences in how characters control with different karts in Mario Kart... Right? Like, I always found my best combo in MK DS to be Dry Bones with Dry Bomber.
No where remotely near the differences between Mercs characters.

dr3upmushroom said:
Actually, I think you're the one underestimating people. Most have this ability called "self-control" that, among other things, would allow them to challenge themselves by using only a pistol or bazooka or whatever nonsense you're going on about. Having everything unlocked doesn't keep you from doing these things, just like (and this may be hard for some in this thread to believe) people did cool, new, creative things in games just for the fun of it far before there were achievement made to explicitly encourage them.
I am underestimating people? Because something I like in a game hinders their self-control by removing choice? You are going to have to explain this one for me, I really want to hear how we arrived to that. I was only pointing out that the extras do actually provide me with different gameplay experiences, which further expands on the score attack mechanic. So me being fine with the developer's decision to set it up that way means I don't think others could handle having everything from the get-go? This is a really extreme case of only seeing things from the context of yourself or your argument, on top of being a really weird analogy.

I should maybe point out that if we were allowed to reset this cart, it would only happen if we wanted it to. The direction of this debate has creeped into the pros and cons of having everything locked/unlocked, but having a choice to reset everything means also having the choice to keep everything unlocked. The 'choice' is key here, and my position does not infringe on that for anyone. If you choose to see the hidden unlockables as part of the core game, fine, but I see them as extras that provide extra gameplay options beyond the core game, and I figure that is where Capcom is coming from too. Competitive games whose unlockables change the game balance have been around as long as I can remember. For the RE series it is a bit of a staple to have previously unavailable weapons for your second play-through. I don't see why this is an issue, or how this pertains to Capcom's new save system. You could argue that prior iterations of Mercs were open from the beginning, but they are trying sell this as a full game concept here.

On the pre-achievement era remark, I am one of the gamers you speak of. It seems like I keep getting shoved into this category of stupid sheep gamers, and I will continue to fight it.

dr3upmushroom said:
No where remotely near the differences between Mercs characters.
But still different right, meaning more than a mere cosmetic difference.

you know what would be sick is if you can only get some sick score if there was a glitch before unlocking something/area/weapon. Capcom trolls hard.

Drac

What's the big deal with this really ? Do you fear this will happen with every game ? It can only happen with nintendo portable system, since all the other systems save on the console memory and they sure can't lock those files to you (they can lock them so you can only use them on your console but they just can't make those files non-deletable).
Are you really complaining that levels, weapons and character will remain unlocked in a score driven game ? Would you complain also if you had access to the whole roster of a fighting game ? You want to feel the challenge of an unused game ? chose crappy weapons.
"but it's not the same" yes it is.
"i won't get the satisfaction of unlocking stuff" you're an achievement whore (I'm one too :p), enjoy playing the game instead of seeing stuff popup at the right corner of your screen, get higher score than the previous owner, that'll be your new challenges.
"now they'll do the same with every type of game" maybe I'm thinking too highly of developers but no, just no, they won't and again, even if they would (won't!) they can only do that on nintendo portable devices.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This would be a much bigger deal if this were a regular Resident Evil, or an RPG, where after 50+ hours of play time, you couldn't restart from the beginning. But this game is all about scores, not about resetting the save data to unlock stages and characters that should have been available from the beginning.

It is stupid that the save file is locked and cannot be erased. There's no doubt about it. But what's even worse are the lack of online leaderboards.

But then, I've seen people saying that they enjoy doing stuff like clearing fighting game save files so that they can re-unlock all of the characters. I will never understand that.

Dead Man

dr3upmushroom said:

You are obnoxious because you cannot accept that anyone's enjoyment of a game for different aspects to yours is valid, and you continue to state that. By doing so you seek to assert that your way is the only way a thing should be enjoyed and all others are lesser. It is obnoxious. Your argument, reduced to its basics, consists of asserting that if you enjoy something other than improving skills and storyline, you are a bad gamer and you are not as worthy as yourself. That may make your self esteem better, but it also certainly makes you a boorish lout with no understanding of alternative points of view or any subtlety at all.

You are absolutely free to feel that way, and to even try to sway people to that view, but to assert it as the only way to enjoy games and all else is chasing carrots is nothing but obnoxious.

DukeTogo1300 said:
I am underestimating people? Because something I like in a game hinders their self-control by removing choice? You are going to have to explain this one for me, I really want to hear how we arrived to that. I was only pointing out that the extras do actually provide me with different gameplay experiences, which further expands on the score attack mechanic. So me being fine with the developer's decision to set it up that way means I don't think others could handle having everything from the get-go? This is a really extreme case of only seeing things from the context of yourself or your argument, on top of being a really weird analogy.

I should maybe point out that if we were allowed to reset this cart, it would only happen if we wanted it to. The direction of this debate has creeped into the pros and cons of having everything locked/unlocked, but having a choice to reset everything means also having the choice to keep everything unlocked. The 'choice' is key here, and my position does not infringe on that for anyone. If you choose to see the hidden unlockables as part of the core game, fine, but I see them as extras that provide extra gameplay options beyond the core game, and I figure that is where Capcom is coming from too. Competitive games whose unlockables change the game balance have been around as long as I can remember. For the RE series it is a bit of a staple to have previously unavailable weapons for your second play-through. I don't see why this is an issue, or how this pertains to Capcom's new save system. You could argue that prior iterations of Mercs were open from the beginning, but they are trying sell this as a full game concept here.

On the pre-achievement era remark, I am one of the gamers you speak of. It seems like I keep getting shoved into this category of stupid sheep gamers, and I will continue to fight it.

But still different right, meaning more than a mere cosmetic difference.
To me, the game of Mercenaries is what you have when you've unlocked all the gameplay stuff. When you have all the skills to mess around with, all of the characters, all of the levels and can start really learning what skills work together, how different loadouts are best used, etc.

There's no real reason for any of that to be unlocked. You're acting like Capcom has done you a favor by making you wait to play parts of the game. Not only that, but you think it's so much a favor that people who want everything unlocked are narrow minded and only want things their way, and can't see your side.

If you wanted to, you could easily limit yourself to playing just as Chris, Jill, and Hunk for the first hour of the game, and then slowly trying out the other character over time, but for some reason you need those artificial limitations to make things worthwhile. Resenting having to go through these steps because people like you want a slow, grindy, limited, drawn out experience make ME self-focused, huh?

Again, I'm not saying that removing choice hinders your self-control, and I have no idea how you arrived at that. I'm saying that the reason for the arbitrary limitation is because you apparently refuse to use self-control to play the game you want and need things completely lock off so that you feel as if you've earned them.

You can say you like score attack games all you like, but your examples prove you're really not that into them. The weapons you get your second time through a main RE game are locked the first time through for a reason, they're so powerful that they would break the game if you had them at first they would break the game. They're more powerful weapons to mess around with after you've completed the balanced experience the developer wanted people to play.

Mercenaries doesn't have an end, or a second playthrough, and it doesn't have any weapons that need to be locked to keep the game balanced, or for any other reason.

And yeah, I'll admit that the characters in MK very technical have small differences, but like I said, they're minuscule compared to the differences between Mercs characters and trying to compare them is an extraordinary stretch.

Dead Man said:
You are obnoxious because you cannot accept that anyone's enjoyment of a game for different aspects to yours is valid, and you continue to state that. By doing so you seek to assert that your way is the only way a thing should be enjoyed and all others are lesser. It is obnoxious. Your argument, reduced to its basics, consists of asserting that if you enjoy something other than improving skills and storyline, you are a bad gamer and you are not as worthy as yourself. That may make your self esteem better, but it also certainly makes you a boorish lout with no understanding of alternative points of view or any subtlety at all.

You are absolutely free to feel that way, and to even try to sway people to that view, but to assert it as the only way to enjoy games and all else is chasing carrots is nothing but obnoxious.
Point out to me where I said my way of enjoying video games is the only way. Just because I think someone is a fool doesn't mean I don't acknowledge their enjoyment.

Dead Man

dr3upmushroom said:
Point out to me where I said my way of enjoying video games is the only way. Just because I think someone is a fool doesn't mean I don't acknowledge their enjoyment.
It does make you obnoxious. Also, I didn't say you said it was the only way, I said you said it was the only way that made sense and was not chasing carrots. So until you spend a little time with some introspection and try to figure out why everyone has piled on here, I think I'm done with you.

dallow_bg said:
Round and round.
Indeed.

Gintamen

So he's is what he is, but that doesn't stop every other high score game to be conceptualized and constructed to get a better high score with time, increase the skill - get a better high score, to memorize the levels/patterns - get a better high score, and it nether stops somebody from using starting character/weapons/costumes. You will always be able to replay a level the way you did for the first time, it's all about getting the best rank in the end. It doesn't make sense from Capcoms view to add such a option for this genre.

I don't know why you are trying to fight against dr3upmushroom so much, he's just pointing out facts. Why are you so desperate to gain the ability to reset everything? It just doesn't make sense. Print out the list of unlockables for your brother/sister/family/friend to see when they can use those weapons. :p It's easy as that. Achievement whore's are certainly the worst this generation has brought up imo.

dr3upmushroom said:
To me, the game of Mercenaries is what you have when you've unlocked all the gameplay stuff. When you have all the skills to mess around with, all of the characters, all of the levels and can start really learning what skills work together, how different loadouts are best used, etc.

There's no real reason for any of that to be unlocked. You're acting like Capcom has done you a favor by making you wait to play parts of the game. Not only that, but you think it's so much a favor that people who want everything unlocked are narrow minded and only want things their way, and can't see your side.

If you wanted to, you could easily limit yourself to playing just as Chris, Jill, and Hunk for the first hour of the game, and then slowly trying out the other character over time, but for some reason you need those artificial limitations to make things worthwhile. Resenting having to go through these steps because people like you want a slow, grindy, limited, drawn out experience make ME self-focused, huh?

Again, I'm not saying that removing choice hinders your self-control, and I have no idea how you arrived at that. I'm saying that the reason for the arbitrary limitation is because you apparently refuse to use self-control to play the game you want and need things completely lock off so that you feel as if you've earned them.

You can say you like score attack games all you like, but your examples prove you're really not that into them. The weapons you get your second time through a main RE game are locked the first time through for a reason, they're so powerful that they would break the game if you had them at first they would break the game. They're more powerful weapons to mess around with after you've completed the balanced experience the developer wanted people to play.

Mercenaries doesn't have an end, or a second playthrough, and it doesn't have any weapons that need to be locked to keep the game balanced, or for any other reason.

And yeah, I'll admit that the characters in MK very technical have small differences, but like I said, they're minuscule compared to the differences between Mercs characters and trying to compare them is an extraordinary stretch.
Gintamen said:
So he's is what he is, but that doesn't stop every other high score game to be conceptualized and constructed to get a better high score with time, increase the skill - get a better high score, to memorize the levels/patterns - get a better high score, and it nether stops somebody from using starting character/weapons/costumes. You will always be able to replay a level the way you did for the first time, it's all about getting the best rank in the end. It doesn't make sense from Capcoms view to add such a option for this genre.

I don't know why you are trying to fight against dr3upmushroom so much, he's just pointing out facts. Why are you so desperate to gain the ability to reset everything? It just doesn't make sense. Print out the list of unlockables for your brother/sister/family/friend to see when they can use those weapons. :p It's easy as that. Achievement whore's are certainly the worst this generation has brought up imo.

You guys seem to live by false assumptions, and I don't see anyone in this thread changing that.

watershed

Banned
sorry if old, 1up's review: http://www.1up.com/reviews/resident-evil-mercenaries-3d-review

I'm happy to see the media wide panning and really shellacking of this game. While I'm sure its fun on some level I can't the business practices involved. Given the all around bad reviews and what seems likely to be lukewarm sales at best, I think Capcom will be taking notice. I only hope this doesn't give Capcom the justification they need to abandon the 3ds entirely or treat it like they did the wii. Not that I would feel particularly sympathetic to Nintendo given the localization crap today.

That Mushroom guy ain't too bright. Think about this: does the ability to erase your save make the game worse for you? No. Does the lack of it make the game worse for others? Yes. You don't even benefit from its exclusion! At this point, I can't even call it selfishness. More like blind fanboyism.

loosus

Banned
How could they have ever thought this was a good idea? It's like shipping razors with the game and wondering what could go wrong.

DukeTogo1300 said:
You guys seem to live by false assumptions, and I don't see anyone in this thread changing that.
And those are?

Glad to see this won't be in any other games, takes care of the "Don't want to see this in games where it would matter" hesitation to purchase Mercs, but it is still insane to me that this happened in the first place.

Top Bottom