• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom finds way to make overpriced handheld games (3DS) have even less value.

watershed

Banned
Gravijah said:
There's a thread on it, but the situation regarding saves being resettable has not changed to my knowledge.
dang I missed that thread. Maybe gamestop will accept resales but at a fixed low price like the $5 in Japan.

rpmurphy

The only hope I have here is that it doesn't turn into a situation where Capcom will start selling a "game reset pass" which then leads to other games and other publishers doing the same thing.

LiK

rpmurphy said:
The only hope I have here is that it doesn't turn into a situation where Capcom will start selling a "game reset pass" which then leads to other games and other publishers doing the same thing.
Now they will steal your idea!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GuardianE said:
To troll, obviously. Normal people will have one of two reactions to this new 3DS Save feature. They'll be upset, or they won't care. There's no logical reason for anyone to actually be in favor of it considering that it doesn't do anything positive for the consumer.
Exactly.

a1m

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
It's buried in the official Resident Evil: Mercenaries thread (incredibly, or not, some posters are actually defending it). There's passive aggressive and then there's this. Bravo, Crapcom. You've found new and creative ways is this war to drive away customers. Dedicated handheld games too expensive? "I know, let's give these 40 dollar games even less value. That's the ticket. That's how we'll compete."
Fuck them. Why are you still buying this crap? I wouldn't touch this even with my penis.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dr3upmushroom said:
I agree that this whole thing sets a bad precedent, is a fuck you to consumers, and I'm reconsidering purchasing the game because of it (though recently finding out that the game doesn't have leaderboards is a much bigger factor for that) but, despite all that, posts like this are just ridiculous.

It's a score attack game. The goal is to get a high score. All the unlockable content is just a lame ass way to give people a meaningless sense of progression.

a sense of progression is meaningless? what a bizarre statement.

rpmurphy

LiK said:
Now they will steal your idea!
Well, the Pandora's Box has already been wide open with online passes, and it could naturally lead to publishers also doing the same for single player games: connect to a server to validate your code that allows you to create a save file! With cloud-based saving coming soon and cloud gaming over the horizon, this could be a reality next generation. Welp, I think I'm scaring myself here.

TL4E

That's total bullshit. Normally I love Capcom, but this is outright ridiculous. I'm going to e-mail Capcom regarding my opinion on the matter knowing it won't affect a damn thing.

DanteFox

Wow at all the people that are seriously defending Capcom on this. It's like seeing an abused wife defend her husband as he beats her. smh.

beelzebozo said:
a sense of progression is meaningless? what a bizarre statement.
No, the sense of progression in this game is meaningless. In some games there is natural progression towards a goal, for example in Zelda you progress through dungeons one at a time, slowly gaining new items and learning how to use them, and going through dungeons in a specific order that go from least to most complex.

Mercenaries, on the other hand, is just about getting a higher score. You do this by improving your skill and understanding of the mechanics of the game, which never change. You get new characters and loadouts, but they don't allow you to do anything you couldn't do before, they just allow you still kill in new ways. None of the levels are intrinsically harder than others.

Progression in a game like Zelda is meaningful, because those games are based on progression through a set of levels, an amassing of equipment, and a steadily increasing complexity. Mercenaries is a simple arcadey game, and the "progression" gained by grinding skills is completely arbitrary.

Anyone who feels they've accomplished anything by playing Mercenaries with a certain skill unlocked for a few hours should save themselves a ton of money and just play Progress Quest.

Dogbert8 said:
Keep worrying. Many GBA games do use batteries that will eventually go dead. It all depended on how much save data needed to be stored; if only a small amount, they used batteries. As examples, three of the four Mega Man Zero games used batteries, as did both Fire Emblem games and both Metroid games. The Legend of Zelda, on the other hand, used the non-time sensitive EEPROM for saving. Some GBA games will work indefinitely, others will stop saving when their batteries go dead.
This is what I thought, too bad. Once my carts die I might have no choice but to purchase a Flash cart. But I am right in saying the battery stuff was completly done away with for the DS right?

Eusis

DukeTogo1300 said:
This is what I thought, too bad. Once my carts die I might have no choice but to purchase a Flash cart. But I am right in saying the battery stuff was completly done away with for the DS right?
Yeah, that's really weird given that Ruby and Sapphire seemingly used Flash in conjunction. I guess the GBA was a transitory period rather than a complete switch then, kind of disappointing.

dr3upmushroom said:
No, the sense of progression in this game is meaningless. In some games there is natural progression towards a goal, for example in Zelda you progress through dungeons one at a time, slowly gaining new items and learning how to use them, and going through dungeons in a specific order that go from least to most complex.

Mercenaries, on the other hand, is just about getting a higher score. You do this by improving your skill and understanding of the mechanics of the game, which never change. You get new characters and loadouts, but they don't allow you to do anything you couldn't do before, they just allow you still kill in new ways. None of the levels are intrinsically harder than others.

Progression in a game like Zelda is meaningful, because those games are based on progression through a set of levels, an amassing of equipment, and a steadily increasing complexity. Mercenaries is a simple arcadey game, and the "progression" gained by grinding skills is completely arbitrary.

Anyone who feels they've accomplished anything by playing Mercenaries with a certain skill unlocked for a few hours should save themselves a ton of money and just play Progress Quest.
These sorts of unlocks are a lot of fun for a lot of people. I could never get into trophies/achievements, but a tangible in-game reward to go with challenges is absolutly welcome. I don't know why people are having such a difficult time being objective on this. You aren't the only gamers on Earth, and the features in question just aren't as much of a stretch to appreciate as you are making them out to be.

dr3upmushroom said:

I'm sorry, but I have trouble controlling an outburst at a post like this?

Do you honestly believe that unlocking everything as you go isn't part of the enjoyment of this game?

You're telling me that the trophies and unlockables that you earn by yourself AS YOU PERFORM THEM throughout the game are just padding and crap?

Sorry... but that's just a load of crap, and so is this move by Capcom.

I haven't bought a Capcom game for ages, and I'm being more and more turned off by them as time goes on - in-fact, I don't think there is a game on the horizon that they are making that interests me in the slightest to be honest!

Perhaps only Asura's Wrath but that's CyberConnect...

onken said:
Yeah, no. If games retailed at $40 then people would buy used at $20. If games retailed at $20 people would buy them used at $10. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the whole "if games were cheaper more people would buy new" idea is a load of crap.
Oh. I personally think that the idea that there isn't anyone out there who buys used solely due to financial circumstances laughable, but you're the one with the business degree/ crystal ball.

By your logic publishers should just crank their prices up. Since demand for new games doesn't increase as price drops, it follows that it wouldn't decrease as price rises.

D-Pad

dr3upmushroom said:

Again, what does the type of game matter? Unlocking rewards is a reward for meeting a certain objective. People like to be rewarded for their skills. This isn't exclusive to a certain type of genre.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
a Master Ninja said:
If I could have bought versions of Smash Bros, Little Big Planet, or Mortal Kombat with everything unlocked from the start I would have.

That's what Time Saver DLC is for.

Wait - I've got it. Capcom could sell save resets as paid DLC. Everyone wins in the end.

ColonialRaptor said:
I'm sorry, but I have trouble controlling an outburst at a post like this?

Do you honestly believe that unlocking everything as you go isn't part of the enjoyment of this game?

You're telling me that the trophies and unlockables that you earn by yourself AS YOU PERFORM THEM throughout the game are just padding and crap?

Sorry... but that's just a load of crap, and so is this move by Capcom.

I haven't bought a Capcom game for ages, and I'm being more and more turned off by them as time goes on - in-fact, I don't think there is a game on the horizon that they are making that interests me in the slightest to be honest!

Perhaps only Asura's Wrath but that's CyberConnect...
Yep, it's a series of arbitrary hoops to jump through. It's not a fun progression, it's unnecessary and annoying.

I'll never understand people like you. I guess you hated SSFIV since you didn't get to experience the thrilling joy of playing through campaign a dozen times to unlock the characters?

And wouldn't Pacman be so much more fun if you had to complete a series of tutorials before you can eat power pellets? At least then it would have a sense of progression. Fun!

LiK

D-Pad said:
Again, what does the type of game matter? Unlocking rewards is a reward for meeting a certain objective. People like to be rewarded for their skills. This isn't exclusive to a certain type of genre.
Indeed, hence the term: reward. I'm really surprised people are finding excuses for this. Let's just have god mode in every game with everything unlocked.

And I should get the full 1000 points and platinum trophy for just pressing Start...lol

D-Pad said:
Your reward is watching your score increase as you improve at the game. Improving a skill by playing with it equipped for a certain amount of time isn't awarding skill, it's awarding persistence.

And I don't see the type of game doesn't matter. Zelda would be a completely different game if you started out all of the items and heart containers. Starting out with everything unlocked in Mercenaries just saves you time.

Dead Man

dr3upmushroom said:
Yep, it's a series of arbitrary hoops to jump through. It's not a fun progression, it's unnecessary and annoying.

I'll never understand people like you. I guess you hated SSFIV since you didn't get to experience the thrilling joy of playing through campaign a dozen times to unlock the characters?

And wouldn't Pacman be so much more fun if you had to complete a series of tutorials before you can eat power pellets? At least then it would have a sense of progression. Fun!
Fair enough you will never understand people like that, but why do you think it is so inferior to your enjoyment of games? Every single reward people get from playing a game is arbitrary. All of them. Deal with it, and move on.

dr3upmushroom said:

So something like Smash Bros. where you have some starting characters and must perform certain tasks to unlock characters and items and levels doesn't appeal to you? Because that's exactly what I relate it to...

If you dislike that... then, I guess we're complete opposites!

Dead Man said:
Fair enough you will never understand people like that, but why do you think it is so inferior to your enjoyment of games? Every single reward people get from playing a game is arbitrary. All of them. Deal with it, and move on.

Exactly! It's not REAL!

LiK said:
Indeed, hence the term: reward. I'm really surprised people are finding excuses for this. Let's just have god mode in every game with everything unlocked.

And I should get the full 1000 points and platinum trophy for just pressing Start...lol
Let's throw arbitrary objectives into everything so we feel like we're accomplishing something!

I feel like everyone talking in absolute terms has never enjoyed a score attack game. You may have played one, but if you're saying that unlocking shit in Mercenaries is some awesome experience you're going to be dying to repeat, then you've never played one competitively.

Some games do have meaningful progression, and this save system would be unforgivable in them. Mercenaries isn't one of those games though, and neither is Pacman, or Super Stardust, or any score attack game. Geometry Wars wouldn't be more fun of you had to reach 25,000 points before you could kill triangles.

Dead Man said:
No, they're not. What I like about Mercenaries is improving my skill at the game. I'm actually learning how to play it and appreciating the game's mechanics.

These progression fiends on the other hand are apparently content with grinding through the game to get their skills leveled up, and then instead of actually learning the game and putting them to use, instead starting over so that they can relive having the game pat them on the head for getting 50 headshots again.

dr3upmushroom said:
Let's throw arbitrary objectives into everything so we feel like we're accomplishing something!

I feel like everyone talking in absolute terms has never enjoyed a score attack game. You may have played one, but if you're saying that unlocking shit in Mercenaries is some awesome experience you're going to be dying to repeat, then you've never played one competitively.

Some games do have meaningful progression, and this save system would be unforgivable in them. Mercenaries isn't one of those games though, and neither is Pacman, or Super Stardust, or any score attack game. Geometry Wars wouldn't be more fun of you had to reach 25,000 points before you could kill triangles.
I think you're being intentionally dense, and in saying that I am actually throwing you a bone. I enjoy score attack, speed runs, perfect runs, all manner of self-dictated challenge types, which are absolutly arbitrary, and I still enjoy challenge-based unlocks. All these things are arbitrary, their value is in the eye of the beholder, and liking one of them does not automatically mean disregarding another. These gamers that might do that are an invention of your argument, and a pretty flippant one at that. People simply cannot have a real discussion with you about Capcom's save system if you aren't willing to step up the logic as well as the honesty.

Einbroch

Banned
While I do agree it's kind of stupid, in this kind of game I don't really see it being THAT big of a deal.

That's all I'll say on the subject. dr3, you're not alone.

a1m

Banned
Einbroch said:
While I do agree it's kind of stupid, in this kind of game I don't really see it being THAT big of a deal.
That's all I'll say on the subject. dr3, you're not alone.
Are you sure you fully understood the case here? How the fuck can someone think like you? That's mindboggling.

hamchan

I'd be pretty unhappy if all the achievements and icons were already unlocked for me in Starcraft 2, even though I mostly play it to improve my skills in multiplayer. Stuff like achievements, trophies and unlocks certainly act as side objectives to me and extend the life of a game.

DukeTogo1300 said:
I think you're being intentionally dense, and in saying that I am actually throwing you a bone. I enjoy score attack, speed runs, perfect runs, all manner of self-dictated challenge types, which are absolutly arbitrary, and I still enjoy challenge-based unlocks. All these things are arbitrary, their value is in the eye of the beholder, and liking one of them does not automatically mean disregarding another. These gamers that might do that are an invention of your argument, and a pretty flippant one at that. People simply cannot have a real discussion with you about Capcom's save system if you aren't willing to step up the logic as well as the honesty.
That's funny, I feel like you're being purposefully dense too.

Your score increases because of skill. Your skill level up because of time spent playing. One is arbitrary, one isn't.

Your skill increases because you've learned a level more, gotten better at aiming, found a new strategy, etc. This can be done at different rates for different players. Different people will cap out at different scores. Progressing by increasing your score is a meaningful progression as it shows you are learning the game, and that you have done this to a greater extent than people with lower scores.

Unlocking stuff, on the other hand, is totally arbitrary, and the only thing it proves is that you were able to play for a set amount of time with a certain skill equipped, or play through the missions, which in a game like this are just steps on the way to the real point, which is the score attack aspect. This type of progression is pointless because you're just jumping through some hoops the developer set up for you that have nothing to do with gameplay.

Do you think you would enjoy Pacman better if it did have challenges and unlocks like "Get to screen 5 without dying to unlock the ability to use power pellets," and then doubled the time power pellets were active if you played with the power pellet perk equipped for an hour?

That sounds fucking horrible to me, but it's consistent with this bizarre idea that any type of progression is fun but all types of progression are arbitrary. And if this example seems like I'm exaggerating to make a point, Mercenaries basically does this exact thing. In order to give us something to unlock, there are no combos in the game's opening missions.

Which makes those missions really boring for another who doesn't have trouble grasping the game's extremely simple combo system, but hey, it's good Capcom did it so that we get that great sense of accomplishment, right?

WARP10CK

Banned
Just thought I check if the rumors were true and man what a shitstorm this has produced.
But I agree with most that this was a pretty stupid idea capcom, congratz on making the dummest decision in gaming so far this year.
The previous idea was releasing Duke Nukem forever in its state but you guys topped even that.

ColonialRaptor said:
So something like Smash Bros. where you have some starting characters and must perform certain tasks to unlock characters and items and levels doesn't appeal to you? Because that's exactly what I relate it to...

If you dislike that... then, I guess we're complete opposites!

Exactly! It's not REAL!
I guess we are. I think learning how to play the different character is a lot more fun than filling out icons on a select screen. One of the most frustrating things about Brawl was that two of the characters they hyped up the most, Sonic and Snake, weren't available from the beginning.

Again, to me the fun is getting better at the game and becoming more able to beat other players, not playing through the game until the point at which the it's decided I've earned the privilege to play as a character. I would have loved if Brawl came with all the characters and levels out of the box, I bought the game because I enjoy the mechanics of it.

Gravijah

dr3upmushroom said:
I guess we are. I think learning how to play the different character is a lot more fun than filling out icons on a select screen. One of the most frustrating things about Brawl was that two of the characters they hyped up the most, Sonic and Snake, weren't available from the beginning.

Again, to me the fun is getting better at the game and becoming more able to beat other players, not playing through the game until the point at which the it's decided I've earned the privilege to play as a character. I would have loved if Brawl came with all the characters and levels out of the box, I bought the game because I enjoy the mechanics of it.

And thus we learn that people enjoy things for different reasons.

Christine

sonikokaruto said:
isn;t this the same as rick rolling?

No. A "rick roll" would link you to the music video of Rick Astley playing his 1987 hit "I'm Never Gonna Give You Up".

imagesqtbnANd9GcS9qW0IhTMjmnJYDXKjomKIjq32c-HTQ1B3LZWz3tWcJ_Oeey6NEQ.jpg

dr3upmushroom said:
That's funny, I feel like you're being purposefully dense too.

Your score increases because of skill. Your skill level up because of time spent playing. One is arbitrary, one isn't.

Your skill increases because you've learned a level more, gotten better at aiming, found a new strategy, etc. This can be done at different rates for different players. Different people will cap out at different scores. Progressing by increasing your score is a meaningful progression as it shows you are learning the game, and that you have done this to a greater extent than people with lower scores.

Unlocking stuff, on the other hand, is totally arbitrary, and the only thing it proves is that you were able to play for a set amount of time with a certain skill equipped, or play through the missions, which in a game like this are just steps on the way to the real point, which is the score attack aspect. This type of progression is pointless because you're just jumping through some hoops the developer set up for you that have nothing to do with gameplay.

Do you think you would enjoy Pacman better if it did have challenges and unlocks like "Get to screen 5 without dying to unlock the ability to use power pellets," and then doubled the time power pellets were active if you played with the power pellet perk equipped for an hour?

That sounds fucking horrible to me, but it's consistent with this bizarre idea that any type of progression is fun but all types of progression are arbitrary. And if this example seems like I'm exaggerating to make a point, Mercenaries basically does this exact thing. In order to give us something to unlock, there are no combos in the game's opening missions.

Which makes those missions really boring for another who doesn't have trouble grasping the game's extremely simple combo system, but hey, it's good Capcom did it so that we get that great sense of accomplishment, right?
If the unlocked item requires a real challenge beyond simply completing levels, it is not the sort of inevitable unlock you've described. Trying to improve your score could be just as much of a challenge. Arguing symantics over which challenge is more impressive is pointless, because they are still both valid game mechanics. Also, FUN is subjective, a point I don't think you are capable or willing to comprehend. You can try and change the argument all you like, but the argument and conversation I am having with you is essentially lost unless you can come up with something a little more convincing.

sonikokaruto said:
isn;t this the same as rick rolling?
No accounting for taste I guess...

mutsu

I think arguing something like having things unlocked from the beginning and having no option to reset saves are two completely different arguments.

I can understand people want stuff from the beginning. I gave up on Wii Music because the music choices were so little in the beginning. All music should be available from the beginning of that game. Since Wii Music is a game that does not have a score and challenge incentive behind the gameplay, it's crazy to have things locked up.

But, not being able to reset saves is a completely different matter.

At least give the option to the players!

Gravijah said:
And thus we learn that people enjoy things for different reasons.
Yeah, some people like to play games because they're fun and well-crafted, and some people like them because they constantly reward for doing nothing constantly.

Again, improving a score is actively getting better at the game. Leveling a skill is just sinking the amount of time into it that someone felt was enough to sufficiently prove that you really want that next upgrade.

I guess it's fine if grinding for skills in Mercenaries is something you enjoy enough to want to do over again, but again, you're missing the point of a score attack game and would be happier with Diablo or something of that nature designed to be a carrot-on-a-stick experience.

Dead Man

dr3upmushroom said:
Yeah, some people like to play games because they're fun and well-crafted, and some people like them because they constantly reward for doing nothing constantly.

Again, improving a score is actively getting better at the game. Leveling a skill is just sinking the amount of time into it that someone felt was enough to sufficiently prove that you really want that next upgrade.

I guess it's fine if grinding for skills in Mercenaries is something you enjoy enough to want to do over again, but again, you're missing the point of a score attack game and would be happier with Diablo or something of that nature designed to be a carrot-on-a-stick experience.
People have given you several opportunities to agree to disagree with good graces, but you keep on being obnoxious. Why is that?

Dead Man said:
People have given you several opportunities to agree to disagree with good graces, but you keep on being obnoxious. Why is that?
How am I being obnoxious? This "unlocking basic features is fun and accomplishing" idea really is just ridiculous to me.

To use an analogy, let's say there's a weight loss program where you earn a medal every time you lose ten pounds. I want to go through the program because if I lose weight, I can climb things, have an easier time flirting with fit people, sweat less, and live longer. Going through the process of losing weight sucks, but there are practical benefits, so I'll put up with it. However, I would much prefer it if I hadn't had to go through the program and had just started out fit.

There's this other group of people, on the other, that are so enamored with those medals that when they finally reach their ideal BMI, all they can think to do is gain all the weight back just to go through the program again. Their way is much better, they say, since they get to feel a constant sense of progression, whereas foolish me doesn't get this pleasure.

I'll put up with the unlocking in Mercenaries because I want to try out the different skills and characters, but those skills and characters exist for the practical purpose of giving you more options to play the game with. I really don't see the fun in earning these options and then just resetting the game to go through the motions of unlocking them all over again.

I want to make it clear in case anyone misunderstands, I think that the save issue is lame if you're going to let someone borrow the game or sell it. Some people want a fresh copy, and while I'd rather have everything unlocked from the get go in this particular game, if they don't, that's fine.

However, anyone who is upset because they won't be able to reset the game and unlock everything for a second (or third... Or fourth...) time themselves is a fool in my book.

hamchan

dr3upmushroom said:
How am I being obnoxious? This "unlocking basic features is fun and accomplishing" idea really is just ridiculous to me.

To use an analogy, let's say there's a weight loss program where you get to have sex with a hot woman every time you lose ten pounds. I want to go through the program because if I lose weight, I can climb things, have an easier time flirting with fit people, sweat less, and live longer. Going through the process of losing weight sucks, but there are practical benefits, so I'll put up with it. However, I would much prefer it if I hadn't had to go through the program and had just started out fit.

There's this other group of people, on the other, that are so enamored with sex that when they finally reach their ideal BMI, all they can think to do is gain all the weight back just to go through the program again. Their way is much better, they say, since they get to feel a constant sense of progression, whereas foolish me doesn't get this pleasure.

I have fixed your analogy.

Top Bottom