• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program : like model rocket building but better and [no longer] free

taoofjord

I just want to stress again how awesome this game is. I love it. I think it will end up being pretty damn popular within the next couple months. Even though in the end it's still a niche title, it's got all the makings for being as big a hit as a niche indie sim game can be.

Dakota47

taoofjord said:
I just want to stress again how awesome this game is. I love it. I think it will end up being pretty damn popular within the next couple months. Even though in the end it's still a niche title, it's got all the makings for being as big a hit as a niche indie sim game can be.

It'll need an auto-pilot / auto-orbit feature to really reach the masses I think.

0.8.5 is now out. Adds a few thing and fixes some bugs.

New
* Added copying of parts (and sets of parts) by holding Alt while clicking on them.
* Replaced tricoupler textures and UV mapping (UV map by Dippeggs)
* Parachutes can now deploy automatically if jettisoned along with other parts (allowing for parts to be safely landed)
* Stage decouplers can now share fuel across stages.
* Added Keys to control the camera in the VAB (+/- for zooming, pgup/pgdown for scrolling)
* Added Keys to control the camera in flight (+/- for zooming)
* Added some sound effects for the parachute opening
* Added cfg-definable parameter for parachute autodeployment delay
* Added a debugging console to the game (can be toggled with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C)
* Right-clicking the Symmetry Button will now step the symmetry mode back.
* It is no longer possible to select a part of the ship while the mouse is over any interface items.
* Added toggle key to switch between precision or instant input modes (Caps Lock)
* Pitch, Yaw and Roll gauges change color to indicate mode (orange for instant, cyan for precision)
* Exposed Kd, Ki and Kp parameters for tuning the SAS and CommandPod modules

Bug Fixes
* Fixed the staging lock LED not turning purple after launch
* Icons no longer show a transparent border floating around then mousing over disconnected parts.
* Fixed a bug where deleting a symmetrical part would sometimes leave it’s counterparts floating around.
* Fixed a bug where creating a new stage with a decoupler and then removing it would generate errors.
* Fixed most sound volume decay over distance problems.
* Fixed a bug that caused a massive performance drop when fuel tanks emptied (fuel tank switch lag bug)
* The Flight camera will now remain always centered on the ship’s center of mass.
* The Screenshot function will now create a Screenshots directory if one isn’t found.
* The altimeter will now go past 999,999K correctly (it will move up to 1000M, then 1000G, 1000T and so on)
* Fixed a bug that could cause large ships to explode at 5,000m altitude.

Rapstah said:
I'm cancelling the trip right now, they'll reach 400 000 KM now and that's far enough. I can't remember if this took three or four days but imagine a couple of 24-hour periods added to the clock.

space400hjug.png

space400stats9kxt.png

Beat that G-force record. I scrolled down to the bottom of both stat fields because the most interesting stuff happened there. I believe my second stage hit the ground around fourteen hours in which is very cool.

That was one hell of a trip! Have you got any pictures of the ship?

Edit* Shit that rhymes!

watership

Rapstah said:
I'm cancelling the trip right now, they'll reach 400 000 KM now and that's far enough. I can't remember if this took three or four days but imagine a couple of 24-hour periods added to the clock.

space400hjug.png

Interesting crop of the image. Did you lose your crew? :D

Alchemy

I have become a bit addicted to trying to reach the highest possible speed when exiting Kearth's gravitational pull, or the ships final velocity once it has completely stopped decelerating.

So far my best is 3140.9 m/s. Its becoming very difficult to break, because I keep reaching a wall of 'oh god my ship explodes' when trying to add additional rockets and stages.

r1chard

Damn this game is fun. I'm looking forward to all the things the dev and community could add to it.

I so hope the dev adds time compression though. Sitting watching my computer for 4 days while the ship transits to the moon doesn't sound like fun :)

r1chard said:
Damn this game is fun. I'm looking forward to all the things the dev and community could add to it.

I so hope the dev adds time compression though. Sitting watching my computer for 4 days while the ship transits to the moon doesn't sound like fun :)

Time compression is a definite must have. I can't wait for the first space station or moon

Tried for a stable orbit, with NO input/corrections after I started taking pics
orbit1.png

orbit2.png

orbit3.png

Ended up falling 2500m and gaining 8 meters/sec in ~12 minutes, I'll spend more time trying to perfect orbit before taking pics again
I think it was an elliptical orbit, I want a circular one.

plc268

Alchemy said:
I have become a bit addicted to trying to reach the highest possible speed when exiting Kearth's gravitational pull, or the ships final velocity once it has completely stopped decelerating.

So far my best is 3140.9 m/s. Its becoming very difficult to break, because I keep reaching a wall of 'oh god my ship explodes' when trying to add additional rockets and stages.

The key is to escape the atmosphere (at around 43,000 m) with as much fuel as possible. Of course, more fuel weighs more...well rocket science.

To get a decent escape velocity, I like to use 5 liquid rockets for the first stage (4 liquid rockets on radial decouplers with 2 tanks, and a middle liquid rocket with 4-5 tanks).

For the second stage above the outer 4 liquid rockets, I use some SRBs, just to give me a little extra boost to get to outer edge of the atmosphere. By the time you jettison those, you should be above or near that 43km mark and rapidly accelerating.

Also, if pure speed is your goal, consider adding one last srb right below your crew capsule. It's a bit added extra weight, but it'll pay dividends in extra speed at the end.

There's better and different ways to do that, experimenting is half the fun.

Rapstah

DeathCubeK said:
That was one hell of a trip! Have you got any pictures of the ship?

Edit* Shit that rhymes!
rockethfng.png

Exactly this but with one extra liquid fuel engine, making it four.

EDIT: Uh, I see four on this picture so it might actually be exactly this design. Maybe five fuel tanks then?
Interesting crop of the image. Did you lose your crew? :D
Nah, I just felt like cropping it so it fit in any aspect ratio of viewing the forum and there wasn't too much information in that fourth.

Orayn

PjotrStroganov said:
How do you succesfully use the side decouplers without everything going wobbly?
Good symmetry, and SAM units on top of the solid fuel boosters I assume you're attaching. 6-way symmetry with a SAM on each booster lets me hold down 'F' for a very smooth ascent.

Orayn said:
Good symmetry, and SAM units on top of the solid fuel boosters I assume you're attaching. 6-way symmetry with a SAM on each booster lets me hold down 'F' for a very smooth ascent.
You can press t to toggle on SAS permanently on and off

Woorloog

Banned
It feels like i'm better at building short range ballistic missiles than space rockets. Managed to fly up to 180,000 meters though. Then i got bored, landing was going to take foreever.
The vanilla game has very few parts though, and some, like the winglets, seem to be completly useless. But maybe this will get better. Certainly following it's development.

Orayn

slopeslider said:
You can press t to toggle on SAS permanently on and off
Ah. I don't think about it too much because favored rocket design loses its SAMs relatively early. Because I don't have a flight stick and the game doesn't seem to like my Xbox 360 controller, I actually wind up adjusting everything with an 8-way arcade stick and Xpadder. It actually works pretty darn well with instant mode rather than precision, just because it's so easy to trip each switch and adjust my vectors ever so slightly.

methane47

Woorloog said:
It feels like i'm better at building short range ballistic missiles than space rockets. Managed to fly up to 180,000 meters though. Then i got bored, landing was going to take foreever.
The vanilla game has very few parts though, and some, like the winglets, seem to be completly useless. But maybe this will get better. Certainly following it's development.

Winglets stablize the aircraft to a certain extent. They do not at this point provide lift.

Woorloog

Banned
methane47 said:
Winglets stablize the aircraft to a certain extent. They do not at this point provide lift.
SAS modules seem to be providing all the stability i need. Winglets are just extra weight...
It was fun to make a rocket that doesn't lift off till you drop a few stages on the launch pad. Stupid i know.

plc268

Finally completed my first orbit!

Apogee at 145km, Perigee 83km. Still have half a tank for reentry too.

I'll go for a circular orbit next.

plc268

Dakota47 said:
Same, although I crashed right after. I caught the sunset though so it was all good.

JvgJ6.jpg

You crashed because you weren't going fast enough. You needed about 150 m/s on your velocity.

Assuming you're in a perfect circular orbit, 2176 m/s is the ideal velocity at 145km. Escape velocity there is 3078 m/s.

Source:
https://gist.github.com/1075144

Dakota47

plc268 said:
You crashed because you weren't going fast enough.

Yup, maneuvering into a horizontal position proved to be the trickiest part. I went too high up so I wasted a lot of energy on vertical movement. But I was glad to see all of Kearth now.

plc268

Dakota47 said:
Yup, maneuvering into a horizontal position proved to be the trickiest part. I went too high up so I wasted a lot of energy on vertical movement. But I was glad to see all of Kearth now.

Yea, that's way to easy to do. I'm trying to replicate my orbit, but I failed. For me, I'm fighting my rocket design, and it's too unstable at the time I need to maneuver it. My rocket doesn't become stable until I'm at my last stage, and upward momentum carries me to 100km and beyond.

Orayn

Dakota47 said:
One of the trickiest things you to learn is just how quickly you need to tip in order to strip off all the vertical momentum. Add to that the required minimum speed at your apogee, and the precise speed that's required to maintain a stable orbit... Yeah. There's a lot to keep track of.
But yes, even if our orbits fail, we get breathtaking views of Kearth and hopefully bring the Kerman boys back down safely.

plc268

PjotrStroganov said:
Though, keeping it simple, parts wise, it does make more of a challenge to achieve certain goals. I've installed quite some modded parts and it is still more fun to use the old parts.

Yep I agree. That's why for my first orbit, I wanted to use stock parts. I felt if I used modded parts to do it my first time, that it would be cheating somehow.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Tried to do full orbit (quite tricky to maintain heading with keyboard), but above the north pole of the planet, some strange things started to happen with my ship - sudden speed boost and navigation went ballistic, so my fellow astronauts crashed.

Dakota47

DrM said:
Version 0.9 is up!

W000t nice one!

EDIT They also have a donation thingy in place. I gave the devs 10 US$. Seems only fair after all the fun I have had with the game so far.

slopeslider said:
Tried for a stable orbit, with NO input/corrections after I started taking pics
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/slopeslider90/orbit1.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/slopeslider90/orbit2.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu345/slopeslider90/orbit3.png[IMG]
Ended up falling 2500m and gaining 8 meters/sec in ~12 minutes, I'll spend more time trying to perfect orbit before taking pics again
I think it was an elliptical orbit, I want a circular one.[/QUOTE]

What components did you use to create the sphere? I can't see any of that in my version, even 0.9 release that just came out.

Dakota47

ThoseDeafMutes said:
What components did you use to create the sphere? I can't see any of that in my version, even 0.9 release that just came out.

There are loads of mods. Check 'em out here. I recommend the Wobbly Rockets pack.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ok, 0.9 is running much better on my laptop and i think that they tweaked physic engine. There are also new parameters with rocket parts.
Will try orbiting in next few days...

Sethos, awesome reverse rocket :D

r1chard

New update 0.10 which includes:

- A Mac version!
- A completely overhauled terrain system. Much more stable and reliable.
- Full joystick support and better input settings.
- The improved R8 Winglet, which can respond to your input for better flight control.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Do not like new terrain system, LOD is awful when desceding.... bunch of squares randomly getting more and more detailed...

r1chard

1.11 is out - including the much-anticipated time compression and orbital view! :)

There's a bunch of other bits 'n pieces like an atmosphere gauge, RCS modules, a beefed-up SAS module and other things.

The landscape still pops at times, but way less than it used to.

I've still not managed to build anything remotely flyable with the control surfaces ;-)

r1chard

Orbital view rocks! Combined with acceleration it really makes getting into, modifying and out of orbit a cinch.

Haven't played with the RCS very much - people are posting youtube videos of "docking" with previous stages now that they have that control in orbit.

Also, and I realise they came in a previous release, but YAY for struts :)

MJLord

If you download the BETA of the version your all using, if you press M you get an orbit calculator and it plots your orbit in real time ! :D

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Had to remade my ship, not working in 11.1 version.

Even managed to do 5 full orbits, but ship was too heavy and every atmospheric (below 75.000 meters) crossing will bring a lot of momentum down

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There is experimental 0.12 version with included Mun and people are already landing on it and returning back :D

Top Bottom