• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection's new SH2 voices revealed

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep, it's official.

Guy Cihi (James), Monica Horgan (Mary/Maria), Donna Burke (Angela), and David Schaufele (Eddie) have all signed waivers and their original VO will be available as an option for Silent Hill 2.

The guy you need to thank is Michael Ranja of Konami USA. He got this all rolling.
even though i'm going to play the game with the new voices, in line with what i've been saying since this whole thing started, i'm glad that the option for the old voices is in there.

hopefully the new voices are the substantial improvement over the creaky voicework in the original. maybe this time i'll actually give a shit about James.

KTallguy

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
For those worried about the voices, Guy Cihi said this today:

NowYz.jpg

I might actually buy this now. I was content with playing them on PS2 though. I never finished SH3... I should try to.

I'm going to buy it regardless, but I hope the old voices are back. I don't care how bad the acting is, I just like Cihi's voice, he IS James Sunderland. The new guy sounds way too manly. I'd never get used to it.

Melchiah

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yep, it's official.

Guy Cihi (James), Monica Horgan (Mary/Maria), Donna Burke (Angela), and David Schaufele (Eddie) have all signed waivers and their original VO will be available as an option for Silent Hill 2.

The guy you need to thank is Michael Ranja of Konami USA. He got this all rolling.

Great news! Does that apply to SH3 as well?

Cudder

great news! now like I said before, I wonder which set of VO will be the default? if its the original set I bet the new actors will be so cheesed, lol.

I'm still playing the game first time with the new voices though.

typo said:
EDIT: Actually, why is SH2 the dealbreaker re: VO and not SH3?
Because people heard 30 seconds of the new audio and freaked out. It might have been just as bad, had we heard the new SH3 first.

Well, probably not, but there still would have been a lot of unhappy people.

if there's original VO's as an option in the settings this will be a day one buy.

anyone know what's going on with the VO's for SH3? i always thought it would be funny to have the private investigator dude from heavy rain as the detective guy in SH3.

Oh, goodie. I'm always up for some more "he said, he said" back and forth.

Just be sure you're the one with the last word in, lest any of us think ill of you. Whoever you may be.

So...Why exactly isn't Silent Hill 4 in this again? I understand it was pretty different than the others and wasn't nearly as well received, but why not include it?

The Mana Legend said:
So...Why exactly isn't Silent Hill 4 in this again? I understand it was pretty different than the others and wasn't nearly as well received, but why not include it?
Look at how much trouble they're having simply converting the graphics and in-game assets for SH2 and 3 correctly. One more game and they'd be using 100% of Konami's manpower and money.

Well as whiny as it is, if I was in his situation and had nothing to lose with the industry and Blaustein did that, then yeah I would also call him out.

Wiseblood said:
What about SH3? Are we getting original voices for it too?

This is the full post from that guy above

On behalf of Silent Haven I would like to thank Guy Cihi for encouraging David Schaufele to sign the waiver with you. The fact that you both signed shows a great appreciation for Silent Hill fans and we are very thankful. I also want to thank Jeremy Blaustein who had direct contact with Tomm Hulett and Devin Shatsky over at Konami. Jeremy helped to get Guy, Monica, Donna and even Clifford, from the SH3 team, in direct contact with one another. You guys are all awesome, without your services none of this would have been a success. It is important to note that Konami cares about its fans to have listened to them and resolved this issue amicably with all the original voice actors. Thank you Konami! Im glad we can put this to rest and finally focus on enjoying a video game we love so much.

So yeah sounds like SH3 will also feature the original voices which is great. No way I want a new Heather.

Levito

Banned
I'm wondering, what about the girl that played Laura?

Also, what about the Silent Hill 3 voice actors?

This is great news regardless though, Konami would really have to be a bunch of dicks not to include the original cast now.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Well as whiny as it is, if I was in his situation and had nothing to lose with the industry and Blaustein did that, then yeah I would also call him out.
what if some people were starting to think that you weren't a giant dick? would you still go through with it?

Mr_Zombie

So what about Jakey Breckenridge, Laura's VA? And others who did minor roles in SH2 (doctor, the announcer in the elevator etc.)?

I still think the oddest thing about this all is that Guy somehow doing non-Union work in Japan had a deal promising him residuals and other things, it just seems too absurd to be truth. Didn't he claim that at one point?

Now if the claim was (or is) that they owed him money from the original job, that's different.

Mr_Zombie said:
So what about Jakey Breckenridge, Laura's VA? And others who did minor roles in SH2 (doctor, the announcer in the elevator etc.)?

Maybe they already signed a year ago when konami first contacted all the actors?

plagiarize said:
what if some people were starting to think that you weren't a giant dick? would you still go through with it?

If people started thinking I was a dick? Well, Blaustein sounds like a dick enough to make the sacrifice.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Now if the claim was (or is) that they owed him money from the original job, that's different.

Well he and the Mary actress did both claim that Konami told them it was for US release only didn't they?

Levito

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
So wait, SH3 IS getting new voice work or...

Yes it is, Tomm Hulett even said that they would have the same voice actress playing Angela and Claudia just like Donna Burke did.

Now what would be awesome would be if yo could pick VA by character, s I could rop everyone but Mara in SH2. Everyone else was just awful.

Jin

I still think the oddest thing about this all is that Guy somehow doing non-Union work in Japan had a deal promising him residuals and other things, it just seems too absurd to be truth. Didn't he claim that at one point?

I find this absurd as well. Ten years ago the gaming industry was in it's infancy. Silent Hill was nowhere near a triple A blockbuster title. But somehow Konami agree to give Guy, a no name VA, residuals?

c'mon guy, if they're being ridiculous then just let them be ridiculous. we're on the cusp of the old VO's being included in the HD release and it would be a huge disappointment if any arguing from either side of the situation were to cause konami to decide against it.

you just signed the waiver and everything. they could, at this point, take the rights to those VO's and decide against including them. it would be lose-lose. so please, just wait till it's release to be vocal about your concern about the way they are handling announcing things.

Hadoken said:
I find this absurd as well. Ten years ago the gaming industry was in it's infancy. Silent Hill was nowhere near a triple A blockbuster title. But somehow Konami agree to give Guy, a no name VA, residuals?
Yeah, I mean it just doesn't make any type of logical sense for something like that to happen.

bishopcruz said:
Now what would be awesome would be if yo could pick VA by character, s I could rop everyone but Mara in SH2. Everyone else was just awful.
I don't know that everything was awful, but Maria was definitely stuck out like a sore thumb because her performance was so great.
Would definitely be interesting to mix and match the performances, but I doubt that would happen. : (

Angry Fork said:
Is it confirmed if SH3 will have the option for the old VA?
We'll have to wait and see how strong the fan reaction is to the 30 second demo of the new cast.
I have no idea, to be honest. They haven't uttered a word about SH3, really, but it wouldn't shock me if they were working on that currently, with the way SH2 has worked out.

AuthenticM said:
Can't watch this! I am getting a "This video is private" message. What gives? Is there some sort of region locking on Youtube now?

No. The guy who put it up freaked out about all the backlash McGlynn was getting and made it private.

legacyzero

Banned
AuthenticM said:
Can't watch this! I am getting a "This video is private" message. What gives? Is there some sort of region locking on Youtube now?
You dont want to watch it anyway. She is pure evil.

TL;DR: She is a smug, flippant asshole about Guy wanting money from the subsequent releases of the games, and is SOOOOO happy with herself to be casted as Maria/Mary that the Pyramid Head himself couldn't pull head from her ass. The vid is that sickening to watch IMO.

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm glad everyone came to their senses, swallowed their pride, and got this thing done.

Mary McGlynn can still fuck the hell off, however.
Yup. My thoughts exactly.

legacyzero said:
You dont want to watch it anyway. She is pure evil.
lolwat?
Granted, I didn't see the video, but this is still hilarious.

legacyzero said:
TL;DR: She is a smug, flippant asshole about Guy wanting money from the subsequent releases of the games, and is SOOOOO happy with herself to be casted as Maria/Mary that the Pyramid Head himself couldn't pull head from her ass. The vid is that sickening to watch IMO.
Yeah, because everyone has acted so completely professional about this entire situation. Really, I have to hand it to every player on every side. Let's give them a round of applause, shall we?

legacyzero

Banned
Typographenia said:
lolwat?
Granted, I didn't see the video, but this is still hilarious.

Yeah, because everyone has acted so completely professional about this entire situation. Really, I have to hand it to every player on every side. Let's give them a round of applause, shall we?

I wish you could see that video, dude. It's horrifyingly rude.

And I agree. This all could have been handled ALOT more professionally. But the guy just wanted to get paid for his work for additional releases? What wrong with that? Konami is fucking stupid..

"Hey, lets deny Cihi his residuals, but pay brand new voice actors to re-record."

legacyzero said:
And I agree. This all could have been handled ALOT more professionally. But the guy just wanted to get paid for his work for additional releases? What wrong with that? Konami is fucking stupid..

"Hey, lets deny Cihi his residuals, but pay brand new voice actors to re-record."
Oh, no you don't! You're not pulling me back into this again!

I'm sure the video will be uploaded again eventually.

She was amazingly smug and bitchy in that video, no one can deny that. Guy has also been unproffesional in all of this, especially his recent facebook post, but that video was pretty sickening. Also I don't think it's fair to say every player on each side has been unprofessional, both the Eddie and Mary voice actors seemed very reasonable and none trollish of anyone.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
Also I don't think it's fair to say every player on each side has been unprofessional, both the Eddie and Mary voice actors seemed very reasonable and none trollish of anyone.
Are you kidding me? They were the WORST!
I didn't mean them, as they haven't played any real part of this. I mostly meant Guy, Tom, Konami, Mary, Troy, and Jeremy.

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
She was amazingly smug and bitchy in that video, no one can deny that. Guy has also been unproffesional in all of this, especially his recent facebook post, but that video was pretty sickening. Also I don't think it's fair to say every player on each side has been unprofessional, both the Eddie and Mary voice actors seemed very reasonable and none trollish of anyone.

She's done a lot more than he has in the industry, can't blame her being annoyed at this guy.

legacyzero

Banned
BatmanBatmanBatman said:

That's true. She has been supportive to the cause, yet stoic with the argument part of it. Not to mention, she's hot as hell. nomnomnom.

Ostinatto

Levito said:
I'm wondering, what about the girl that played Laura?

Also, what about the Silent Hill 3 voice actors?

This is great news regardless though, Konami would really have to be a bunch of dicks not to include the original cast now.

- where is laura?

- she run away

- we have to find her T.T

;)

She's done a lot more than he has in the industry, can't blame her being annoyed at this guy.
Yeah to be fair to her response is not completely unwarranted. I'm all for the original dub but just looking at the YT comments from that video WickedLaharl posted; yeah, I can see why she might react the way she did.

Lazlo Woodbine said:
Yeah to be fair to her response is not completely unwarranted. I'm all for the original dub but just looking at the YT comments from that video WickedLaharl posted; yeah, I can see why she might react the way she did.
My thoughts too.

Top Bottom