• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 Wii U: It took all of five minutes and two lines of code, and boom!

Darksiders is adventure on a biblical scale. After years playing games in which we prevent the end of the world, we're now cast as its harbingers: the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

How have Vigil found the heroic in the most anti of heroes? Darksiders II producer Ryan Stefanelli explains the basics: "In the first Darksiders, the horseman War was wrongly accused of causing the apocalypse and the extinction of mankind. This caused both the forces of Heaven and Hell to seek War's destruction, and War was more than willing to take all his attackers head on." Hey, we've all been there, right?

Darksiders II shifts the focus to War's brother Death (their parents really had a gift for names). Stefanelli explains that the game, "happens during roughly the same time period as the first game. Knowing that his brother would never commit such an atrocity, Death works behind the scenes to clear War's name.

"Unlike his brother, Death is more than willing to work with some of the more shady characters of the Underworld. The story revolves around Death travelling through the Abyss, making deals and bargains, and ultimately having to make a very difficult personal decision."

This dark gothic world is realised in a familiar action RPG mould. Galloping through the first game's overworld atop a demon steed before solving dungeon puzzles with a playful kitbag brings a certain elfin hero to mind. The Zelda similarity is a comfortable 'in' for newcomers, so we run it past Stefanelli.

"With all its different elements - combat, traversal, puzzles, etc - a game like Darksiders can be hard to describe, so it's natural to compare it to another game for reference. Being likened to Zelda is about the highest compliment we could be paid!" he says.

ROLE PLAYING

Not that Vigil are resting on a tried-and-tested formula. "In Darksiders II, we're adding even more elements into the mix, such as role-playing elements and loot gathering," explains Stefanelli. While War's wardrobe unfolded as a relatively linear item-to-item jaunt, Death has a Marks & Spencer's worth of trinkets at his disposal. bangles, armour and shoulder pads boost defensive and magical capabilities, while bigger weapons make for bigger wounds.

Like the best loot-gatherers - your Diablos and World Of Warcrafts - the hint of something rarer, thus better, around each corner coaxes you forward.

Here, the Wii U's second screen proves a real boon. Until now, console thinking has been crippled by television acreage. Force too much junk - gallons of loot, for example - into one screen and interfaces creak and groan. Anyone who's tried to manage a Fallout 3 or Fable inventory bag will know that particular horror.

But just because your television struggles with piles of rat meat and forks (Fallout 3 is a silly game), does it mean that games should forgo piles of rat meat and forks? Hell no, says Wii U. And Stefanelli concurs.

"Just to have something on the touch screen, we put the inventory and map systems on the controller - and even that small thing makes a big difference," he explains. "When you collect a new piece of loot, you just look down to see if you want it, and can equip it instantly. I can't say for sure if that'll be in the final cut, but it's really cool that the gameplay experience never has to be broken up by changing out equipment."

As Ocarina 3D proved, touch-screen inventories can be transformative in their ease of use. Instant equip single-handedly turned the Water temple from a soggy blanket to a wet-eyed wonder.

Touchy-feely kitbags needn't just smooth over the cracks. As Stefanelli describes it, the touchpad could alter the rhythm of Darksiders II's combat: "It allows for quick weapon and equipment swaps. For example, you could have two different equipment sets for Death - one that's geared towards heavy weapons and big armour, and another that's designed for mobility and quick strikes.

On the Wii U, all it would take to switch from one to the other would be a hot button on the touch screen, and multiple swaps could be made during an intense combat without ever pausing." Iron boots are so yesterday.

SWITCHED ON

As much as the touch screen complements the TV, don't forget it can replace it too. It is this feature, the ability to switch from TV to tablet, that most impressed the Vigil boys. "Our one and only goal once we got the Wii U hardware was to get Darksiders II running on it. We didn't even have running the game on the touch screen on our 'to do' list. but once we got it running, we just fooled around with getting it on the touch screen as a lark. It took all of five minutes and two lines of code, and boom! - there was the entire game running on the controller. Amazing."

Vigil paint a picture of touch-screen versatility - so much so that we almost worry if the scope could lead to conflict. Do you build the game around dual screens - feeding into televised combat with touch-screen proddings - or ensure the whole game can be appreciated on that single controller screen, should the need arise? We have faith Vigil will come up with the answers. Whatever the outcome, the Zelda-ish inspirations should at least gel with you lot. Though with any luck, stefanelli hopes to outgrow those particular connotations.

"Hopefully a couple years from now, a new game will come out and everyone will say that it's 'like Darksiders'. When that happens, we'll know we've really achieved a benchmark." With Wii U's help, this is very much a possibility. Already a force to be reckoned with on ps3 and 360, on Wii U, this is Death warmed up.
CVG

On the Wii U, all it would take to switch from one to the other would be a hot button on the touch screen, and multiple swaps could be made during an intense combat without ever pausing." Iron boots are so yesterday.

Yes, thank you!

Emitan

ShockingAlberto said:
It's probably the same shoe he's been wearing forever

I don't know if you know this, but War...War never changes.
citizen_cane.gif

Ridley327

badcrumble said:
Glad to hear developers will be putting real effort into their Wii U up-ports.
Oh, I'm sure Ubi Soft will make sure that they bring the average down over the lifespan of the system.

Emitan

Ridley327 said:
Oh, I'm sure Ubi Soft will make sure that they bring the average down over the lifespan of the system.
I'd almost bet money that despite it being stupidly easy to have the game running on the controller they won't do it for most of their titles.

markot

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Hell, give them the launch window and they will do their best. (Glances at 3ds launch >_>)

fernoca

Wonder if this will be part of the "multiple controller setups".

-Wii U Controller "only" (use analogs, touch screen for menus, etc.)
-Wii U Controller "stream" (No touchscreen menus, only using analogs + buttons + screen to watch the game)
-Wii Remote + Nunchuck (motions, etc.)
-Wii Remote + Classic Controller (same as "stream", but the game's on the TV all the time obviously)

..or at least for games like Call of Duty.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's probably the same shoe he's been wearing forever

I don't know if you know this, but War...War never changes.
War has changed. It’s no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It’s an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled machine.
War has changed. ID tagged soldiers carry ID tagged weapons, use ID tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.
War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction. And he who controls the battlefield, controls history.
War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, war… becomes routine.

Ridley327

ShockingAlberto said:
When Darksiders II inevitably gets delayed for the PC, I'm hoping the WiiU version can pick up the slack technically.
Darksiders pre-patch on the 360 was a screen tearing monstrosity, but the game looked great running at 60 fps. I really hope that the extra hardware power on the Wii U makes that possible for more games.

fernoca said:

-Wii U Controller "stream" (No touchscreen menus, only using analogs + buttons + screen to watch the game)
-Wii Remote + Classic Controller (same as "stream", but the game's on the TV all the time obviously)

I wonder how many devs will take the time to implement all of those options and do them well?

Oh wait it'll be zero.

AceBandage said:
That was from a promo ages ago and wasn't even in the final game.
How can I possibly know :p

Wy don't they just downport from the PC?h
Lead platform isn't PC, though they mentioned they might make PC game look better beside resolution increase and they might then bring that version over Wii U if it can do it

MisterHero

Billychu said:
I'd almost bet money that despite it being stupidly easy to have the game running on the controller they won't do it for most of their titles.
They will, except for Vita =[

AceBandage said:
That was from a promo ages ago and wasn't even in the final game.
Yes it was, it was moved to the scene right before Big- Oops

fernoca

comedy bomb said:
I wonder how many devs will take the time to implement all of those options and do them well?

Oh wait it'll be zero.
Nah,.. :p
Probably same as Wii; the "usual suspects": Nintendo, Actisivion..and that's it. :p

orioto

Good Art™
Vigil paint a picture of touch-screen versatility - so much so that we almost worry if the scope could lead to conflict. Do you build the game around dual screens - feeding into televised combat with touch-screen proddings - or ensure the whole game can be appreciated on that single controller screen, should the need arise?

And that's precisely the illustration of my main problem withj the WiiU. It goes in ten directions at the same times. I was worried of this exact conflict between having a useful dual screen setup versus having the ability to use the screen independently. It's a fucking two headed chicken!

And i just realized that it's also really funny how they are marketing the "finally Nintendo goes HD stuff" yet we'll have the immense pleasure to play games on a tiny 480p screen!

Chuckpebble

sorry, its a bit of a dead horse now, but…

War.png

About viewing the output on the small screen, I never imagined it'd be difficult. Its the equivalent of changing what screen is the primary on a multi monitor computer. If anything that should be a cinch because its lower res.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
orioto said:
And that's precisely the illustration of my main problem withj the WiiU. It goes in ten directions at the same times. I was worried of this exact conflict between having a useful dual screen setup versus having the ability to use the screen independently. It's a fucking two headed chicken!

And i just realized that it's also really funny how they are marketing the "finally Nintendo goes HD stuff" yet we'll have the immense pleasure to play games on a tiny 480p screen!
Set up possibilities make Wii U more appealing IMO. More choices equals more variety, creativity and surprises.

Not sure if you will notice 480p on the smaller screen controller, all reports at E3 said games looked gorgeous on it.

Amir0x

Banned
If the game comes out day and date I'll probably get the Wii U version. Definitive multiplatform games will be its great strength. Hopefully with bonus to ignore tablet implementation where applicable

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
fernoca said:

You forgot the best option:
- Wii Remote + Wii U Controller (like Nunchuck but with better motion controls, dual screens, and some touchscreen use)

[Nintex]

Chuckpebble said:

War.png

About viewing the output on the small screen, I never imagined it'd be difficult. Its the equivalent of changing what screen is the primary on a multi monitor computer. If anything that should be a cinch because its lower res.
Explain to me why I think Solid Snake looks like Bill Clinton in this image.

fernoca said:

Since the Wii U controller has a sensor bar strip built into it, you could have Wii Remote + Nunchuck or Classic Controller + Wii U Controller "Stream".

Kandinsky

Chuckpebble said:

War.png

Is that Giorgio Tsoukalos?

Seriously, if you Google "war never changes" the first result is the Fallout page on Wikipedia, what the hell is wrong with you people.

orioto said:

How is more options a problem?

Chuckpebble

[Nintex] said:
Explain to me why I think Solid Snake looks like Bill Clinton in this image.

Its this guy.

I forgot about the built in sensor bar on the thing. The spatial setup of that sounds, awkward. Still cool though.

Personally, I can see myself playing a ton of games on the small screen around the house. I think its a feature that'll be a real boon for gamer dads.

It has a headphone jack too, right?

Top Bottom