• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins collector's edition revealed (€65)

TimmiT

Amazon.fr has revealed the first image and details about the upcoming 2D Jump n’ Run game Rayman Origins develoved by Ubisoft. The Collector’s Edition of Rayman Origins will be available for PS3 & Xbox 360 at a price of €64.99. The game lunches on November 24th in Europe and November 15th in North America. Well it is unknown if North America will get the same edition.

The Collector’s Edition will come in a cardboard slipcase and includes the following content:

50-pages Artbook ” The Art of Rayman”
Official Soundtrack
pop-up 3D Box
Amazon.co.uk also has a Collector’s Edition available for pre-order but no details or pictures have been revealed yet. Price is set to £79.99
http://collectorsedition.org/8068/rayman-origins-collectors-edition-first-image-and-details-revealed

Click the image for a bigger version:

I'd buy it for €65. The artbook and soundtrack alone are worth the extra €15 for me.

There's almost never any collectors edition I want, and then this year there are and they all roll out in the same month! I'd love it for the artbook but I don't think i'd be able to afford it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
a cardboard pop-up 3d-box! truly Ubisoft, you spoil us.

Nocturnowl said:
There's almost never any collectors edition I want, and then this year there are and they all roll out in the same month! I'd love it for the artbook but I don't think i'd be able to afford it.

Well the good thing is they usually end up cheap when no one wants them. The bad thing is, there's always the exception for one or two games that really do sell out of their collector's edition copies and they get more expensive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Given the nature of the game, a mere 50-page art book is criminally pathetic.

VGChampion said:
Well the good thing is they usually end up cheap when no one wants them. The bad thing is, there's always the exception for one or two games that really do sell out of their collector's edition copies and they get more expensive.
That's true, though in order to capitalize on the lowered prices you'd have to be either double dipping or have been holding off on the game in question. Though in this case it's only the artbook that interests me and it'll probably be bare bones so I can live.

Derrick01

Banned
Littleberu said:

It's being sent to die. It comes out in NA the same day as Saints Row and Assassin's Creed and a few days after Skyrim. Plus the price for this is pretty crazy, I too thought it was going to be a $15 download. It doesn't look like it has enough unique content to justify a full retail price, most 2D platformers don't.

Takao

Banned
Littleberu said:

It's an Ubisoft game. They always suffer from price collapses.

Derrick01 said:
It's being sent to die. It comes out in NA the same day as Saints Row and Assassin's Creed and a few days after Skyrim. Plus the price for this is pretty crazy, I too thought it was going to be a $15 download. It doesn't look like it has enough unique content to justify a full retail price, most 2D platformers don't.

Uh oh, here we go again ...

Emitan

Derrick01 said:
Oh boy... PLATFORMERS ARE INHERENTLY INFERIOR TO OTHER GAMES AND DON'T DESERVE TO BE RETAIL GAMES AEJASIAMSIAMSIOAMSAS

Oh wait, New Super Mario Bros DS is the best selling game of all time.

I will definitely be buying Rayman Origins when it comes out in November. But, I can see why some people are worried about how well it will do. I could have sworn when this was first announced that they were going to release it as a downloadable game. Now it is going the Gunstringer route and coming out as a disc game instead. I can see where some people would be apprehensive to purchase what was once an XBLA/PSN/WiiWare title as a full retail game. Hopefully the game is long enough to be worth the full retail price I will be paying.

Darklord

Banned
Billychu said:
Oh boy... PLATFORMERS ARE INHERENTLY INFERIOR TO OTHER GAMES AND DON'T DESERVE TO BE RETAIL GAMES AEJASIAMSIAMSIOAMSAS

Oh wait, New Super Mario Bros DS is the best selling game of all time.

So many of your posts make no sense. First you compare The Old Republic to Modern Warfare 3 now you're saying a niche video series can complete right smack in the middle of massive games just because Mario sold a lot on the DS? It makes NO sense. And full price for this game I'll be honest seems a bit much unless it's a very lengthy game. If it's short then that's just poor value. I thought it was a $15 game too.

Derrick01 said:
It doesn't look like it has enough unique content to justify a full retail price, most 2D platformers don't.

you again
ft8Z5.gif

this game is probably more worthy of the price point than skyrim and asscreed combined.

SykoTech

MNC said:
Somehow I thought this would be like 10 on Steam/PSN/XBLA.

It probably would have been 15 like Sonic 4.

I'm glad they went with retail. I hate buying games piece by piece through the episodic setup.

Derrick01

Banned
Diprosalic said:
you again
ft8Z5.gif

this game is probably more worthy of the price point than skyrim and asscreed combined.

Maybe to you but there's no way I could justify that much for a platformer. I mean I was going to get the Vita version anyway so I was going to wait regardless but I don't expect to spend any more than $20 for it. But these versions coming in November are definitely being sent to die and Ubisoft apparently doesn't care since they're putting it in the line of fire of their own 8 million per game franchise.

Bgamer90

Banned
I will never get the whole "this game is cartoony so it should be cheap and/or an arcade title" line of thinking that many gamers have now.

There are many cartoony games that have been of high quality and had as much content as the "adult/dark" games.

Not saying that I wouldn't like it to be cheaper but I'll gladly pay full price for a good game regardless of it's nature (since it's good). Most of my favorite games of all time are from previous gens with most being things that people nowadays would more than likely consider to be "cartoony" and/or "not full games".

I mean, what sense does it make for the art style of a game to determine whether or not a game is worth the average MSRP of games? I don't get it.

But anyways, I will be sticking to the regular version. I never really buy collector's editions of games.

Vamphuntr

This game looks so pretty. Will probably wait for the Vita version. It will look amazing on the Vita's screen. I really don't need a CE. If other CE are of any indication, the artbook will probably be 15 pages long and the soundtrack will be missing some tracks.

Thomper

Darklord said:
So many of your posts make no sense. First you compare The Old Republic to Modern Warfare 3 now you're saying a niche video series can complete right smack in the middle of massive games just because Mario sold a lot on the DS? It makes NO sense. And full price for this game I'll be honest seems a bit much unless it's a very lengthy game. If it's short then that's just poor value. I thought it was a $15 game too.
Except, as far as I know, there has been no indication that this will be a 'short' game. There's sixty different levels in 12 environments, and from the stuff they've shown each level will be quite a decent length. Also, there's a pretty fun multiplayer. Finally, each environment is filled with incredible looking hand-drawn art. If you want to pay no more than 15 dollars for it, it's because you simply don't care for 2D platformers very much anymore. This looks to be the finest 2D platformer this year, if not in a long time. Seems entirely appropriate to compare this to Mario, especially considering the fact that Rayman's still a popular character. Not as popular as Mario, sure, but his games and the Rabbids-stuff continue to sell really, really well. So... yeah.

Derrick01

Banned
Bgamer90 said:
I will never get the whole "this game is cartoony so it should be cheap and/or an arcade title" line of thinking that many gamers have now.

There are many cartoony games that have been of high quality and had as much content as the "adult/dark" games.

Not saying that I wouldn't like it to be cheaper but I'll gladly pay full price for a good game regardless of it's nature (since it's good). Most of my favorite games of all time are from previous gens with most being things that people nowadays would more than likely consider to be "cartoony" and/or "not full games".

I mean, what sense does it make for the art style of a game to determine whether or not a game is worth the average MSRP of games? I don't get it.

But anyways, I will be sticking to the regular version. I never really buy collector's editions of games.

But...no one in this thread said anything about it being cartoony. I said I can't justify $60 for a 2D platformer and I say that because there's only so much running from side to side and jumping I can do before I get bored, and therefore I don't put $60 of value on those games. My limit for those is usually $20 at most.

I actually really like the art and it looked beautiful on Vita's screen. There's footage of someone playing it on there floating around youtube.

edit: found 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXH1w7JyfU

SykoTech

Darklord said:

I don't see where he said that this game could compete with the mainstream AAA stuff. It looked to me like Billychu was just saying that it doesn't deserve to be instantly passed off as $15 material just because it's a 2D platformer, which I would agree with.

As for length, you could say that about pretty much any game.

Darklord

Banned
Thomper said:
Except, as far as I know, there has been no indication that this will be a 'short' game. There's sixty different levels in 12 environments, and from the stuff they've shown each level will be quite a decent length. Also, there's a pretty fun multiplayer. Finally, each environment is filled with incredible looking hand-drawn art. If you want to pay no more than 15 dollars for it, it's because you simply don't care for 2D platformers very much anymore. This looks to be the finest 2D platformer this year, if not in a long time. Seems entirely appropriate to compare this to Mario, especially considering the fact that Rayman's still a popular character. Not as popular as Mario, sure, but his games and the Rabbids-stuff continue to sell really, really well. So... yeah.

60 levels is pretty good. The problem isn't if I think 2D platforming isn't worth $60. It's that a lot of them are $15 now. Mario is like the only big 2D platformer left. I'd pay full price for a good Rayman game, I love the series but will many others?

SykoTech said:
I don't see where he said that this game could compete with the mainstream AAA stuff. It looked to me like Billychu was just saying that it doesn't deserve to be instantly passed off as $15 material just because it's a 2D platformer, which I would agree with.

Yeah, I think I may have misunderstood.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
theBishop said:
Wait... this is a full priced game?! Mindblown...

Well, one more reason to get the Vita version.
The Vita version doesn't have multiplayer (just like the 3DS version), whereas 360, Wii and PS3 offer multiplayer.

Yeah I thought this was a digital release. I am happy it's on a disc because that means I will buy it, but I couldn't care less about the special edition and I'm not paying 60$. I'll pick it up whenever I can get it for 20$.

*Edit: Looking over this thread I should add that it's not about it being a platformer or anything I'm just a cheap bastard who almost never pays more then 20$ for my games.

Thomper

Darklord said:
60 levels is pretty good. The problem isn't if I think 2D platforming isn't worth $60. It's that a lot of them are $15 now. Mario is like the only big 2D platformer left. I'd pay full price for a good Rayman game, I love the series but will many others?
I wouldn't really compare those $15 platformers to stuff like Rayman origins and Mario, though. Stuff like Super Meat Boy or Miss Splosion Man looks pretty good, but Rayman Origins seems like it's had an insane amount of polish and detail put into it. Plus, platforms like the DS and PSP still had plenty of platformers released for full-price. I think the problem's more just that big publishers aren't releasing platformers any more, period. Besides SEGA's Sonic 4-thing, which doesn't count. Though I'm sure they planned on releasing the full thing as a 60 dollar game at one point in the development, as well. This is UbiSoft and Michel Ancel fully investing in a 2D platformer though, and from what we've seen, it fully seems like it's worth full price. Though maybe that's just me. ;)

Yoshi said:
The Vita version doesn't have multiplayer (just like the 3DS version), whereas 360, Wii and PS3 offer multiplayer.

Multiplayer? This is Gaf dude. I'm sure many here either didn't care or always intended to play it alone.Personally I feel i would have liked online in the vita version....but i could live without it.

Littleberu said:

because it is literally being sent out in a month with COD,Skyrim, Super Mario Land, Assassin's Creed, Saints Row, etc etc and Ubisoft games are notorious for dropping in price quickly .

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It also played fantastically at Gamescom. If this game turns out half as good as the Gamescom demos implied and bombs regardless, I'll be very, very sad.

Takao

Banned
I think you're all kind of overhyping how much this game will bomb. Children's games (which Rayman is) generally don't open large, but eventually get themselves to a nice sales total. That's the case for various Ratchet & Clank games, Sonic games, and more. As well, I don't think the primary market for this game will be bugging mom to buy either this or Skyrim. Maybe Saints Row, or Call of Duty but definitely not an RPG not named Pokemon.

So it's still out in November. Poor game will bomb something awful, but I'm eager to play it. Would have to make some serious room for it though.

Kurtofan

Derrick01 said:
But...no one in this thread said anything about it being cartoony. I said I can't justify $60 for a 2D platformer and I say that because there's only so much running from side to side and jumping I can do before I get bored, and therefore I don't put $60 of value on those games. My limit for those is usually $20 at most.
]
So you don't like 2D platformers good for you, but don't pretend it's an universal law and that 2D platformers shouldn't be sold at that price.
I would never buy a sports or car games for 60$, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't have that price.

Top Bottom