• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

I'm having fun with FF5. I just got the water crystal jobs and I'm trying to decide whether to level new jobs or max out the ones I've been leveling. Any tips? I've got Bartz on Knight, Lenna on White Mage, Galuf on Monk, and Faris on Thief.
edit: Got stuck on Shiva and had to go out and level Red Mage on Faris so I could have more Protect, so I kind of answered my own question. Got a couple levels of Summoner and Time Mage on Lenna while I was at it. This job system is fucking cool.

Wow you basically picked the same ones I did on my first playthrough. For the new ones you got it just depends to your liking. I don't think I kept any of those Water ones long except for Summoner. I just played around with them. I think a couple of them have some abilities worth keeping though.

LTTP, but finally took the time to finish FFXIII-2 that I bought during a sale a few months back.

Awful FF game, especially in the gameplay department.
Decent final boss and ending though, but shitty experience nonetheless.

Anyway, question now is if I should bother with the finale (Lightning return) to end the saga, or just skip it.

LTTP, but finally took the time to finish FFXIII-2 that I bought during a sale a few months back.

Awful FF game, especially in the gameplay department.
Decent final boss and ending though, but shitty experience nonetheless.

Anyway, question now is if I should bother with the finale (Lightning return) to end the saga, or just skip it.

Tried to replay 13-2 and could not sit through it again lol, this time with cheats no less! But yeah I was mentally checked out for most of it so have no clue what was going on.

I wanted to grab Returns as well but well... the PC version is I guess never coming out?

Aizo

Banned
Is the Japanese version of Final Fantasy VII on Vita all right? I mean, does it have the same glitches I've heard the English release has?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Started X-2 today and wow there are already early enemies (Coeurls) that get a part member down to 1hp and they are accompanied by this other shell guy who finishes the job.

Not sayin' the game is gonna be hard but this is already a good sign that the game may require a little more thinking than FFX did. It seems they assume the player is already familiar with the FFX enemy behavior and capabilities which is a great design choice.

DanJow112

Neo Member
Currently going through FFIX on disc 3 and wow i'm absolutely loving it, i first played it on PS1 when i was a child, never got into it but 10+ years later finally starting to appreciate this gem!

Started X-2 today and wow there are already early enemies (Coeurls) that get a part member down to 1hp and they are accompanied by this other shell guy who finishes the job.

Not sayin' the game is gonna be hard but this is already a good sign that the game may require a little more thinking than FFX did. It seems they assume the player is already familiar with the FFX enemy behavior and capabilities which is a great design choice.
X-2 seems harder in some instances to me and definitely in its side content, well the Monster Arena was still pretty freakin hard. I love the battle system in the game. I just wish some jobs were easier to get. I was ass at Sphere Break so I never got Lady Luck and couldn't quite find Dark Knight either. Being able to switch jobs on the fly was cool too. The job system can be really fun, but they use it so sparsely throughout the main series. If X-2 counts as mainline then we haven't got the job system since 2003. I hope XVI uses it rather switchable or predetermined.

Currently going through FFIX on disc 3 and wow i'm absolutely loving it, i first played it on PS1 when i was a child, never got into it but 10+ years later finally starting to appreciate this gem!
Yep, it's my favorite game and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it. Have you played Chocobo Hot & Cold?

Sub_Level

I second Blasian Persuasion's suggest of trying out Chocobo Hot N' Cold if you haven't already. Its one of if not the best Chocobo sidequest.

What, you're on Disc 3 and haven't played it yet? I remember on my first playthrough when I left Lindblum for the first time, the first place I went was Qu's Marsh and then to the chocobo forest I remember seeing from the telescope.

If you're this late in I know the first few treasures you'll find probably won't be of much benefit to you.

X-2's system requires more strategy than what X has simply because X-2 runs on ATB and you have less control over the flow of battle in comparison to X. Just wait until you do the Cloister Trials....they are even harder in the international version.

Sub_Level

That Sphere Break tutorial started off simply enough but the rules kept going and going and going

mVG1EOn.gif

Sub_Level

Playing FFX with the "Expert" sphere grid is interesting. Expert is definitely not the right word for it. More like jumbled up.

Is the pc port of FF7 still coming to ps4 on oct. 16th? I have been playing it on an emulator but will stop if its coming out on the 16th.

Cant find definitive info anywhere and squares website just says "this winter"

Playing FFX with the "Expert" sphere grid is interesting. Expert is definitely not the right word for it. More like jumbled up.

I can't see how anyone could play it otherwise. The normal grid was way too linear for its own good and makes the game unreplayable without it imo.

Falk

that puzzling face
Standard locks characters into their story roles (Lulu the BLM, Yuna the WHM, Auron the Crunk, Kimahri the worthless, etc)

Expert gives you a -lot- more freedom to do what you want. Make both Yuna and Lulu dish out major BLM hurt, for example.

I think what catches people on Expert as the first playthrough is not realizing till too late that getting more moves on the grid is generally exponential up till endgame, meaning a couple of stupid moves and you can pretty much stunt your growth a little behind what your characters should be capable of.

I highly prefer Expert though, for reason stated above (e.g. Yuna/Lulu both casting till blue in the face)

Sub_Level

I cry evrytim at the FFX Macarena lake kissing scene tbh.

Also starting up FFV. Not too far into it. The job system is neat and less chaotic than FFX-2's "change mid-battle" system. Its a basic feature but I like you can change the menu color. Always go for that FFVIII gray style.

Falk

that puzzling face
In case you're subbed to this thread, LRPC re-re-reconfirmed/delayed to December as per official twitter.

Style

Banned
I am one of the few people that think FF13 was an okay experience. I should grab the sequels on PC some time and give them a go too. >_>

Squire

Banned
I am one of the few people that think FF13 was an okay experience. I should grab the sequels on PC some time and give them a go too. >_>

I've been listening to the soundtrack for XIII a little bit this week and I could stand to play again some.

I played half of it again during the summer and made peace with it. It's not great, but it can be enjoyable.

13 should have made everything pre-gran pulse optional or should have cut it entirely. Most of the story is told through flashbacks anyway and it pads the game way too much. It's a shame too, because it is a great game in terms of mechanics; with the exception of the player character's death meaning game over. That's dumb.

Meowster

I'm in a mood to play through VI. What's the best way to play it these days? I have the GBA version but the 3DS can't play it. What's my best option for playing it? I know emulation exists for the PlayStation version but I know that one is beyond slow.

I'm in a mood to play through VI. What's the best way to play it these days? I have the GBA version but the 3DS can't play it. What's my best option for playing it? I know emulation exists for the PlayStation version but I know that one is beyond slow.

If you have a Wii/U, you can get the SNES VC version.

SkyOdin

That could work. I don't think I've ever played the original version before though.. is the script still good? Are the bugs still present?

The original script is perfectly good. The bugs should still be there, but the biggest one (the sketch bug) should be fixed, since it was fixed for most copies of the original SNES carts. The only other bug that is likely to cause significant problems is the Evasion bug, but that one can also be turned to the player's advantage if you know about it.

Tizoc

Which bosses in FF13 are suggested to be fought with the Stagger Lock ability? I can only think of 2 bosses atm.

Rean

Been playing FF6 for the first time recently, and I've been really enjoying it. I've only played 7 prior to this and I think 6 does some things better like the usage of all the characters and how
summons
are integrated in the story. The music in 6 is really good too.

That spoiler isn't really a spoiler. Summons are to be expected in a Final Fantasy game. I'm glad you're enjoying it however.

How do y'all feel about Cloud's inclusion in Smash?
Yeah I know. I just chose to tag it because I had no idea that they were actually summons until the last second.

After this I'm gonna go through 8-10 and check out 14 in between those games.

That spoiler isn't really a spoiler. Summons are to be expected in a Final Fantasy game. I'm glad you're enjoying it however.

I wish it was a chocobo instead. I understand why Cloud was picked though. After all, Harada would be a master troll to put Cloud in Smash and not put the remake on the NX.

You should play FF9

preferably with the ability to frameskip
Honestly, frameskipping isn't going to fix the game's combat problems like Regen being absolutely insane and the turns being backed up so much. Still one of the best Final Fantasies in other areas though.

Top Bottom