• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC PARK - A Thread 65 Million Years In The Making

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started to look for some worthwhile dino dioramas and found the sideshow dinosauria line. They also made Jurassic Park dioramas but they are not close to the quality of this.

0ugSd.jpg

I want thiiiiiiiis. But I can't anymore:(

The first is pretty much perfect. Love it.

2 is flawed but still great. I don't care what shit people say about it, there's enough good stuff in there for me to be highly entertained. Also love it.

3 is just a mess. Utter shit.

KevinCow

Banned
I didn't think Lost World was that bad. Honestly, if it wasn't for a few things like the girl and her gymnast kick, and the utter retardation of bringing the baby rex back to fix its leg, I'd consider it actually pretty good.

MrHicks

Banned
lush said:
Watching this right now on AMC actually, I love this movie and even the 2nd one isn't all that bad.

"It's a UNIX system...I know this."
jurassic-park.jpg

Shit gets me every time.

after aaaaaaaaaaaaaal that money on the park and hammond is too cheap to get a windows/dos license

"spared no expense" my ass

Cant wait for the Blu Ray set..already set time aside to watch it.

Speaking of Stan Winston, I really hope if JP4 happens it isnt CGI ridden. I miss Stan. =(
Is Legacy as good as SWS once was?

Did anyone else have these? Loved the removable flesh which exposed the ribs of the dinosaur. I had these two

juniortrex.jpg

triceratops.jpg

Plus an Alan Grant and Dimetrodon (with snapping jaws)

alangrant.jpg

dimetrodon.jpg

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Sutton Dagger said:
Did anyone else have these? Loved the removable flesh which exposed the ribs of the dinosaur. I had these two

Yay! I had the T-Rex one! But i lost the slice of flesh :(

DAMN, at school me and some friends even made a real "Jurassic Park" with our own toys :O

Grinchy

Banned
I dare everyone to try to watch the 3rd movie. The 2nd one was really awful, but it's somehow watchable. The 3rd one is like a special effects pro visits a high school AV club and they make a movie.

JB1981

Grinchy said:
I dare everyone to try to watch the 3rd movie. The 2nd one was really awful, but it's somehow watchable. The 3rd one is like a special effects pro visits a high school AV club and they make a movie.
A site B focused sequel with dinos on the loose could have been so good

All the TLW hate is confusing.

As for the toys, Im partial to this one-

carnotaurus.jpg

Still have a few of these guys on display and try to collect them from time to time. JP toys in general that is, not just the Carno.

Fry

Never understood the hate for the 2nd movie. It's not better than the first, but definitely more fun.

JdFoX187

Banned
The third movie suffered from Joe Johnston's inherent lack of ability to start filming Day One with a fucking script in-hand. He threw it out and was rewriting when filming had to start. Resulted in a shitty fucking movie with an EXTREMELY rushed third act. Oh hey they're surrounded, what are they going to do? SEND IN THE MARINES! AND THE AIR FORCE! CREDITS ROLL! Fuck you Joe Johnston!

EDIT:

Joe Johnston had been interested in directing the sequel to Jurassic Park and approached friend Steven Spielberg about the project. While Spielberg wanted to direct the first sequel, he agreed that if there was ever a third film, Johnston could direct.[3] The third film was greenlit in August 1999 and was based on a story by Steven Spielberg, featuring Alan Grant after having lived in a tree on one of the islands and studied the dinosaur population. Johnston never had any concrete concept for the third installment, other than stating the film would be "more stand-alone" and feature a lot of flying reptiles.[4] Before that, Craig Rosenberg wrote a script involving teenagers who get marooned on Isla Sorna.[5]
New writers were brought in to scribe a story involving Pteranodon escaping from Site B and causing a rash of mysterious killings on the mainland, which was to be investigated by Alan Grant and a number of other characters including wealthy Paul Roby and his teenage son Miles, Paul's love interest, Billy Brennan, a naturalist named Simone, and a tough Military Attache. Grant's group was to track the Pterosaurs back to Site B and crash on the island, while a parallel investigation was carried out on the mainland. Supposedly, the aviary sequence and laboratory set piece were much longer and more complex, including raptors stealthily entering the hatchery while the team spent the night. Sets, costumes, and props were built for this version, before Johnston threw out the completed script five weeks before filming in order to pursue the "rescue mission" plot, which was suggested by David Koepp.[3] Johnston said that the script was never finished during production - "We shot pages that eventually went into the final script but we didn't have a document".[5]
Any one of those would have been a better movie.

womp

Strafer said:
Yeah, I had the T-rex and the Explorer.

Long gone now. :(

jp2k9trex.jpg

Toys R Us is clearing out some recent remolds that came out a few years ago...Including the T-Rex.

My 4 year old drools over him every time we go but $38 on clearance isn't exactly my cup of tea. Sorry kid.

JdFoX187 said:
The third movie suffered from Joe Johnston's inherent lack of ability to start filming Day One with a fucking script in-hand. He threw it out and was rewriting when filming had to start. Resulted in a shitty fucking movie with an EXTREMELY rushed third act. Oh hey they're surrounded, what are they going to do? SEND IN THE MARINES! AND THE AIR FORCE! CREDITS ROLL! Fuck you Joe Johnston!

EDIT:

Its sad what happened to JP3...it was just a freaking mess. Probably why JP4 is so iffy and they really want to nail the script.

Also, its funny how the toys had the military general from the older script:

general.jpg

womp said:
jp2k9trex.jpg

Toys R Us is clearing out some recent remolds that came out a few years ago...Including the T-Rex.

My 4 year old drools over him every time we go but $38 on clearance isn't exactly my cup of tea. Sorry kid.

Thats such a nice retool and paint job. While I would prefer movie based paint apps, I do like how nice and clean it is. Mix that with the boxart and its a winner, although over priced. Its a shame the line flopped, they had sculpted new dinosaurs, humans and vehicles only to cancel them due to poor sales of the repaints.

JdFoX187 said:

EDIT:

Damn, would have loved to see that version.

Bazhard

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:

juniortrex.jpg

triceratops.jpg

Plus an Alan Grant and Dimetrodon (with snapping jaws)

alangrant.jpg

dimetrodon.jpg
I still have my trex with the flesh missing, i have tubs of toys from my childhood sitting in storage (everything from 80s-90s ninja turtle stuff (sewer, tech drome) to ghostbusters (cartoon) stuff like the firehouse thing.

I fucking loved the jurassic park t-rex, used to have my TMNT toys and X-Men toys fight them in this alternate dimension that krang/shredder brought to earth.. i was a very creative kid

PhoncipleBone said:
Dodson got eaten by a trex in the book. It was glorious. Basically what happened to the guy on the boat at the end of the movie happened to Dodson in the book.

For anyone who has not read either book, this is a nice collection:

Jurassic Park is frightening in the dark...

How do you reckon the book holds up? I haven't read it since I was about 14, but I've had a vague interest in a revisit.

Edit: How the fuck are The Lost World and the novelization of JPIII available on the Kindle, but not Jurassic Park?

Jurassic Park was the first thing I ever went nuts for. Well, except for maybe Sesame Street.
I had that first t-rex toy linked, and I had several of the people and cars. However, the greatest toy I ever got...

WkF3e.jpg

TrANQ.jpg

Was when my parents got me the compound for my birthday. I had never had a toy of such size before. It was probably one of the most impressive things I had ever seen, and I played with that thing on a near daily basis for pretty much the next 5 years, hahaha.

Amalthea

Banned
Typographenia said:
Jurassic Park was the first thing I ever went nuts for. Well, except for maybe Sesame Street.
I had that first t-rex toy linked, and I had several of the people and cars. However, the greatest toy I ever got...

Was when my parents got me the compound for my birthday. I had never had a toy of such size before. It was probably one of the most impressive things I had ever seen, and I played with that thing on a near daily basis for pretty much the next 5 years, hahaha.

My parents said it was too big for my room back then and I believed it was just a lame excuse not to buy me the Compound but when I got it last year for 15 bucks I realized that it was true. That set is enormous.

The talking "computer" is the most hillarious part of the Compound its extremely loud and everything sounds like it was recorded by an 17-years old trainee at Kenner, he even makes the dinosaur noises himself.

*The dinosaurs have left their cages! Rawwr-skreee!*

Bought me this bad-guy on Ebay some minutes ago:

"You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you, you've patented it, and packaged it, you've slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now:"

*bang*
9GF6R.jpg

Jakeh111

I think for most of us born in the 80s we will always see JP as our Star Wars.

One of the main reasons I got into sound design.

Also my dad SLEPT THRU THE WHOLE MOVIE, to this day I still give him shit about it.

Jurassic Park on Genesis was fucking awesome. Especially with Debug Mode. Why can't we have another good JP game.

Jakeh111 said:

Also my dad SLEPT THRU THE WHOLE MOVIE, to this day I still give him shit about it.

So true.

Mr. Sam

Jakeh111 said:

It's just a shame that Lost World couldn't be our Empire Strikes Back.

Tyrant_Onion said:
My parents said it was too big for my room back then and I believed it was just a lame excuse not to buy me the Compound but when I got it last year for 15 bucks I realized that it was true. That set is enormous.

The talking "computer" is the most hillarious part of the Compound its extremely loud and everything sounds like it was recorded by an 17-years old trainee at Kenner, he even makes the dinosaur noises himself.

*The dinosaurs have left their cages! Rawwr-skreee!*

my favourite was "dino damage, dino damage!". amazing voice acting.

man i don't think i've been happier in my life than when i opened my jurassic park compound on christmas day.

Mr. Sam

My older brother had that Jurassic Park compound, but he'd get angry if it actually got played with. The T-rex is supposed to destroy it, numbnuts! No fun at all.

DMczaf

I remember going to my friend's house and he just bought Jurassic Park for Genesis. I only had SNES, so I was like "OMG this is the greatest game ever! Is this on SNES?!"

I go to Blockbuster that weekend and see that there is a Jurassic Park on SNES!

...it was not the same game. :(

Momo

Banned
DMczaf said:
I remember going to my friend's house and he just bought Jurassic Park for Genesis. I only had SNES, so I was like "OMG this is the greatest game ever! Is this on SNES?!"

NES Jurassic part is best Jurassic Park!!

Az987

all good things
DMczaf said:

Yeah, the genesis one was awesome.

You could be a raptor or the guy right?

And the cheat codes to get all the weapons! oh man so cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom