• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

jackdoe

I absolutely love the animation and sound with the rocket launcher too. Any down time I had while I was carrying it was spent switching weapons. Pistol and rocket switching = GOD TIER
The new sound effects seal the deal. Putting the rocket into the rocket launcher sounds like music to my ears.

Ramirez

Perhaps something about it ruined it for you, but feel that each Halo game can be different and still be a Halo game in spirit. We shouldn't get too far off topic tho :) Actually slightly on topic. I wonder if these discussion terrify the 343i guys. Nothing can be harder than trying to innovate and satisfy your base at the same time.

SPEAK TO US OF TERROR, 343ies.

It's not off-topic, CEA comes with Reach multiplayer maps.

The fact that 343 felt the need to even attempt a TU, and add in Anniversary gametypes gives me hope that they will being going in the completely opposite direction for Halo 4.

That's one of the subtle touches to weapons I appreciate Bungie for adding in both CE and Reach.

Having a unique reloading animation for a partially empty vs completely empty clip, a unique equipping animation for picking up a weapon vs switching to it, and so on are all awesome and should be implemented for Halo 4. It makes the weapons more 'alive' and real.

I'd like a nice kick-back to the weapons, too.

Reach had good variety but the quality of the animations weren't great imo. CE's pistol, AR, shotgun, rockets, sniper have way better draw/reload animations. Especially the pistol, by god. When you pull that thing out the game is basically saying "You're going to ruin some poor motherfucker's day."

They're really small things but I like feeling like a badass when I draw or reload a weapon. Just a minor thing that bugs the hell out of me if the animations are poor. Not a gamebreaker but I'd like to see some cool stuff for Halo 4.

ElRenoRaven

The Warthog is controls like garbage in CE compared to Halo 2 and beyond.

To hell it does. The Warthog in Halo 1 still has not been topped. Halo 2's was ok. Halo 3's was meh. Reach's Warthog is a fucking abomination that should not even have the name Warthog.

wwm0nkey

Not sure if this was posted yet, but a terminal translator and 12 (not available yet) terminal has been uncovered.

Ec8lY.png

Just type in "wakeupjohn"

Not sure if this was posted yet, but a terminal translator and 12 (not available yet) terminal has been uncovered.

http://i.imgur.com/Ec8lY.png

Just type in "wakeupjohn"
For decades, we've fought an alien enemy we do not understand. Unprovoked, they brought our civilization to its knees, and forced us into hiding.

Hmm, possibly
Precursor related?

EDIT: That dialogue is seen if you have the subtitles on.

darthbob

I feel pretty dumb for asking this here, but is anyone else unable to login to Waypoint on halo.xbox.com?

Clicking Sign In either does jack, or it takes me to xbox.com. Signing in with a different account works fine, but not for my main account.

wtf

I feel pretty dumb for asking this here, but is anyone else unable to login to Waypoint on halo.xbox.com?

Clicking Sign In either does jack, or it takes me to xbox.com. Signing in with a different account works fine, but not for my main account.

wtf

Ya me too. Just right now xbl is acting funny. Keeps telling me to update my payment plan too even after i did keeps doing it and singing me off xbl.

WTF

The best thing about this decipher is, 343i can add symbols to every Halo-related product. Maybe we will find a code in Halo: Primordium? Maybe at the end of a Halo 4 trailer or of a new motion comic.

nomis

Agreed. A gritty Halo inspired by the tone of Fall of Reach would be awesome.

Reach was a step in the right direction for "grittiness", they rebooted the look of all the Covenant characters for the better, and the human facial models made the game feel a lot more realistic than Halo 3.

Halo 4 needs to turn the "gritty" dial to 11, though. It will still feel fantastical because of the Forerunner architecture, but the look of the gun models needs to feel even more grounded than Reach, and the environment lighting needs to squeeze as much atmosphere as they can out of the 360. I want it to be hard sci-fi as fuck. No sound in space either.

FyreWulff

I still want some kind of official statement about the horrendous online co-op lag.

Lockstep networking and the fact that Halo 1 wasn't set up to be networked at all, let alone campaign?

It's going to be real sensitive to high-latency internets just like Reach Firefight/Campaign co-op and ODST Firefight/Campaign co-op.

_woLf

Lockstep networking and the fact that Halo 1 wasn't set up to be networked at all, let alone campaign?

It's going to be real sensitive to high-latency internets just like Reach Firefight/Campaign co-op and ODST Firefight/Campaign co-op.

The fact is I'm still paying for an online co-op experience that is supposed to run correctly. They shouldn't have released it if it was this broken -- it's borderline unplayable for those who aren't hosting the game.

It's not the internet causing the problem, it's the game.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
343 seems to have added enemies where they weren't before as well. On the two betrayals when you get the banshee in the last canyon and fly back underground down to the bottom of the hole where the bridge there seems to be flood spores? I really don't remember that happening in the 2001 version. Also after you find the map room and go back to where the first terminal is in the center of the map there is now jackals and a covie dropship????

Ramirez

This has to be one of the most overrated series of all time. I've played it, its not fun at all. Skyrim has frozen on me twice, while I was trying to play for the first time, and furthermore the combat has always felt really, really, clunky.

I'll give you Morrowind/Oblivion being overrated, but Skyrim is just on another level for me. I've put like 30 hours or so into it so far and I've yet to get any of the usual Bethesda jank with bugs and freezes, sounds like a personal problem. :p

^ Couldn't you hit the back button and see if the enemies are there? The game is untouched in classic mode...

Havok

343 seems to have added enemies where they weren't before as well. On the two betrayals if you get the banshee in the last canyon and fly back underground down to the bottom of the hole where the bridge is there is now flood spores? I really don't remember that happening in the 2001 version. Also after you find the map room and go back to where the first terminal is in the center of the map there is now jackals and a covie dropship????
Those were always there - the spores get stuck on the walls sometimes (they're usually there the first time anyway), the dropship always comes after you exit the security room, but people just jumped down the cliff instead of backtracking.

_woLf

Technically... it is your connections causing the undesired performance.
3AQmK.gif

My connection can run co-op in every single other game I try just fine, there is absolutely no excuse for Halo CEA's co-op to require anything more. Look on the 343 forums, everyone is having this issue. Don't put co-op play over xbox live on the back of the box if it doesn't run properly.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
Those were always there - the spores get stuck on the walls sometimes, the dropship always comes after you exit the security room, but people just jumped down the cliff instead of backtracking.

Oh wow really? I did it a few times and don't remember it happening on CE. Fair enough though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
My connection can run co-op in every single other game I try just fine, there is absolutely no excuse for Halo CEA's co-op to require anything more. Look on the 343 forums, everyone is having this issue. Don't put co-op play over xbox live on the back of the box if it doesn't run properly.

How many games do you play that are high-def ports of games over a decade old, running two graphics engines side by side and incorporating an online model hammered on top of a system mechanic never meant to handle it in the first place?

Ramirez

How many games do you play that are high-def ports of games over a decade old, running two graphics engines side by side and incorporating an online model hammered on top of a system mechanic never meant to handle it in the first place?

I understand both sides of the argument, but to the average person who picked this up, none of the above matters. If it really is as bad as people say it is, it should have just been left out.

Wouldn't bother me if they cut it for 4 either (they won't!), Reach's was pretty much unplayable in any enjoyable fashion if you weren't host as well.

Top Bottom