• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

_woLf

How many games do you play that are high-def ports of games over a decade old, running two graphics engines side by side and incorporating an online model hammered on top of a system mechanic never meant to handle it in the first place?

Why the hell does that matter? I paid money for a feature advertised on the back of the box, I expect it to freaking work.

How many games do you play that are high-def ports of games over a decade old, running two graphics engines side by side and incorporating an online model hammered on top of a system mechanic never meant to handle it in the first place?

Eh, but even in Reach the co-op networking was pretty bad lag wise and it wasn't really like that with Halo 3 or ODST.

Not sure if this was posted yet, but a terminal translator and 12 (not available yet) terminal has been uncovered.

Ec8lY.png

Just type in "wakeupjohn"

Thats cool, how was it found?

I understand both sides of the argument, but to the average person who picked this up, none of the above matters. If it really is as bad as people say it is, it should have just been left out.

Wouldn't bother me if they cut it for 4 either (they won't!), Reach's was pretty much unplayable in any enjoyable fashion if you weren't host as well.

I hate that argument, its the same bullshit argument that got co op theatre cut, the co op is laggy but still a hell of a lot of fun. Sure player 2 isnt going to be as useful in gunfights, but in terms of exploration its brilliant. Playing co op with Gui was amazing because I saw a lot of stuff I would never have seen playing solo. I dont care if I sucked at killing enemies, it wasnt about that for me during that co op run.

It sucks that its laggy,and I get why you think its unfair advertising, but all the same I would rather have 90% of a feature than no feature at all.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So for the last few days multiplayer in Aniversary and Reach tells me "The Halo Reach server is unavailable at this time."

I have no trouble in other games. Suggestions?

Tawpgun

k, after letting it sit with me for a bit, I can finally give my verdict on how CE gameplay encounters match up with the rest of the series....

I'll give Halo 3 props for having really well designed encounters as well as the best vehicular segments in the series. It really struck me how lacking the vehicular missions are in CE. Mainly due to no marine support in the latter levels.

I did however, like the open feeling of CE's huge levels. No other Halo game managed to recreate this open world feeling in the levels. I loved fighting on a bridge, going through the corridors, and then getting put on the ground fight and seeing the bridge you were just on. Then the actual play space was HUGE. Hell, even the Library is huge and feels open despite being really linear.

Reach tried this with Winter Contingency which is a throw away level and New Alexandria which was actually pretty good. But they didn't quite nail the open feeling the large CE levels had.

Also, I feel CE has the best gunplay and infantry combat out of the entire series. The weapon sandbox is perfect, and the way the levels are designed with power weapon supplies and the risk/reward element of carrying something like a rocket launcher with you through the level instead of being given an entire armory before encounters like the other games did. I believe Ghaleon mentioned this as well.

I was playing through the library and actually having fun, despite me thinking the flood levels in the other Halo's were fairly lack luster. CE definitely has the best flood by far. If flood is in Halo 4, I hope they take inspirational from CE. Shit felt like a level right out of Serious Sam. Constant running, gunning, reloading, desperate grenades, jumps, strafes. switching weapons, scavenging for weapons..... loved it.

Halo 4 could also use more unique campaign "gameplay elements" (I guess I could call them that.) Things like the disabling the phase pulse generators and having your shields removed, or blasting the vent cores in The Maw. None of this PRESS BUTTON TO DISABLE THE AA GUN/OPEN DOOR/WIN THE GAME. I want some cool "set pieces" where lets say there is a gauntlet run at one point, but it's through an EMP field, disabling your shields as you run through. Maybe a segment that's in the dark, requiring the flashlight. Have cool mini-objectives like the vent cores. Makes me wonder why things like this weren't utilized in the other Halo games.

I am so happy they included co-op play online. Even with the latency-induced input lag (which sucks), and the fact that for the first time in the series, it affected look controls, I still had a fucking blast playing this online with my friends.

Please, please, 343 Industries, find a way to bring Halo CE multiplayer to Xbox LIVE.

Tawpgun

Glad I'm not the only one. I'll play with it when I get home. I'm currently at 1080p.

I'm pretty sure that this will never, ever happen. Never ever.

I could see it happening sometime down the line. Hell, maybe with the added power and disc space of the nextbox, we'll be able to put the CE engine into Halo 5/6, thus having a CE MP game mode within a new Halo game. (make it werk plz)

At the very least, Halo 2 Anniversary is still possible since the MP was built to work with networks.

Amneisac

I am so happy they included co-op play online. Even with the latency-induced input lag (which sucks), and the fact that for the first time in the series, it affected look controls, I still had a fucking blast playing this online with my friends.

Please, please, 343 Industries, find a way to bring Halo CE multiplayer to Xbox LIVE.

It has to be at least 300ms of input lag. I completely understand why it's there, but it's completely inexcusable that this game was released with this kind of lag and no word from 343/MS about the lag. Some people are apparently not affected by input lag as much as my friends and I, because it's really not fun. We take turns on who hosts and who has to be the lagged one, and it's a relief to get to play without the lag.

I'm seriously disappointed and I think this problem is excessive enough that it deserves some kind of response.

Edit: I would not have purchased this game had I known that online co-op (literally the only reason I bought it, to play with my friend who I used to play on the couch with and now we live in different states) was completely fucked. So for me I would have rather this feature not been included than been included and completely broken. Also, I'm not picking on your Hirednoobs, it was just the last post about the input lag.

Tawpgun

It has to be at least 300ms of input lag. I completely understand why it's there, but it's completely inexcusable that this game was released with this kind of lag and no word from 343/MS about the lag. Some people are apparently not affected by input lag as much as my friends and I, because it's really not fun. We take turns on who hosts and who has to be the lagged one, and it's a relief to get to play without the lag.

I'm seriously disappointed and I think this problem is excessive enough that it deserves some kind of response.

Edit: I would not have purchased this game had I known that online co-op (literally the only reason I bought it, to play with my friend who I used to play on the couch with and now we live in different states) was completely fucked. So for me I would have rather this feature not been included than been included and completely broken. Also, I'm not picking on your Hirednoobs, it was just the last post about the input lag.

Is it really worse than the input lag in Reach, 3, and ODST firefight?

ElRenoRaven

k, after letting it sit with me for a bit, I can finally give my verdict on how CE gameplay encounters match up with the rest of the series....

I'll give Halo 3 props for having really well designed encounters as well as the best vehicular segments in the series. It really struck me how lacking the vehicular missions are in CE. Mainly due to no marine support in the latter levels.

I did however, like the open feeling of CE's huge levels. No other Halo game managed to recreate this open world feeling in the levels. I loved fighting on a bridge, going through the corridors, and then getting put on the ground fight and seeing the bridge you were just on. Then the actual play space was HUGE. Hell, even the Library is huge and feels open despite being really linear.

Reach tried this with Winter Contingency which is a throw away level and New Alexandria which was actually pretty good. But they didn't quite nail the open feeling the large CE levels had.

Also, I feel CE has the best gunplay and infantry combat out of the entire series. The weapon sandbox is perfect, and the way the levels are designed with power weapon supplies and the risk/reward element of carrying something like a rocket launcher with you through the level instead of being given an entire armory before encounters like the other games did. I believe Ghaleon mentioned this as well.

I was playing through the library and actually having fun, despite me thinking the flood levels in the other Halo's were fairly lack luster. CE definitely has the best flood by far. If flood is in Halo 4, I hope they take inspirational from CE. Shit felt like a level right out of Serious Sam. Constant running, gunning, reloading, desperate grenades, jumps, strafes. switching weapons, scavenging for weapons..... loved it.

Halo 4 could also use more unique campaign "gameplay elements" (I guess I could call them that.) Things like the disabling the phase pulse generators and having your shields removed, or blasting the vent cores in The Maw. None of this PRESS BUTTON TO DISABLE THE AA GUN/OPEN DOOR/WIN THE GAME. I want some cool "set pieces" where lets say there is a gauntlet run at one point, but it's through an EMP field, disabling your shields as you run through. Maybe a segment that's in the dark, requiring the flashlight. Have cool mini-objectives like the vent cores. Makes me wonder why things like this weren't utilized in the other Halo games.

Yea. Reach tried to bring back that element a bit but as you said it was always push a button here then go up here and push a button there. I do like your ideas. Kind of reminds me of previews of Halo 2. The way they talked about going through the hotel with your flashlights made it seem like it would be a bit larger then one short assed hallway. I was kind of let down when seeing it was what it was. Previewers were so full of shit in how they described that section.

I also agree. The flood in Halo just were so much better for the most part. I did like how in 3 they could drive vehicles. I also did like the pure form drinol looking forms but I hated the pure forms. In 3 they were also very very flimsy compared to Halo. If they were to show up again in the future I'd like a cross between the two games.

I could see the Drinol like pure forms and vehicle usage, infection spore reanimation. When it would come to their toughness and behavior though I'd love to see them behave more like they did in Halo 1. I will give Halo 2 props though in level design with the flood. The levels in Halo 2 with Flood were damn amazingly designed. Probably some of my favorite flood based levels to be honest. Hell really some of my favorite levels in Halo 2 even.

oracrest

My connection can run co-op in every single other game I try just fine, there is absolutely no excuse for Halo CEA's co-op to require anything more. Look on the 343 forums, everyone is having this issue. Don't put co-op play over xbox live on the back of the box if it doesn't run properly.

I was playing with a friend the other day, and whoever hosted the game would get a smooth framerate, and the other would be all choppy and a bit unresponsive. Still "playable," but the slow person had to fall back and take a lot more care not to get killed.

Amneisac

Is it really worse than the input lag in Reach, 3, and ODST firefight?

It's far worse. All of the games have a little bit of input lag, but this is essentially taking your latency to and from the host and adding that to the input lag. Unscientifically I would say it's AT LEAST 300ms. I can mash the jump button about 5 or 6 times before I actually jump. It's really awful.

I obviously forge too much, because I haven't seen anyone else here mention that some of Reach's forge object textures are used in CEA's new graphics. Namely, the large braces in Assault on the Control Room. Nice touch.

TheOddOne

I am the internet! lol

I was also apparently on MTV for a Kinect thing at E3, they had me sign something so they could use the interview on their show, a few days latter some friends said they saw me on MTV for the Kinect thing.
Dat internet fame. Straight up Bossin'.

How are people turning subtitles on with the waypoint terminal app? Honestly, it interests me because I am willing to bet other things are still to be found. Frankie said no 12th terminal, but I guess that doesnt meant there arent other things... as we have already seen.

Frankie lied and betrayed our trust? =(
lol

FyreWulff

Halo 3, ODST and Reach all had input lag when playing offhost in coop/firefight.

No idea why.

Lockstep networking.

Me and my co-op bro have no problems and he's in Utah while i'm in Nebraska. It entirely depends on your latency, bandwidth doesn't matter.

If they had put the original multiplayer in, it would have had the same input latency issues as campaign. Because they would have had to use lockstep networking.

Halo Reach versus multiplayer does not use lockstep networking and therefore doesn't have input lag.

_woLf

What is the name of the mouse shadow on the second moon?

Can we seriously please get some kind of statement about the horrendous input lag? It's incredibly worrying how 343 is just pushing it to the side like it isn't a problem. Is this how you're going to treat Halo 4? "It's released, not our problem anymore?"

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am moving tonight and my internet will not be hooked up until Friday. If I continue to play offline and get achievements, will they show up once I get my internet connection back? Or will I have to redo everything once I am reconnected to live? Never had this issue as I have always had internet.

Top Bottom