• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

I'm not sure. I remember issues over LAN at least one of the times we attempted it.
I mean, I just booted up Halo PC, joined a host to which I pinged over 250 ms, and I couldn't perceive any input delay. That would seem to suggest they were able to develop an asynchronous model for Halo PC.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I have a total crush on Kiki Wolfkill, and only partly cause of her bad ass name, haha.

If they had put the original multiplayer in, it would have had the same input latency issues as campaign. Because they would have had to use lockstep networking.

Halo Reach versus multiplayer does not use lockstep networking and therefore doesn't have input lag.
Heh, having finished a "paper" on Networking today, I finally understand. Focused on Halo's Networking for my portion of it.

If they had put the original multiplayer in, it would have had the same input latency issues as campaign. Because they would have had to use lockstep networking.

Halo PC is a half assed async networking model. According to a Gearbox employee forum post long ago, Halo PC was lockstep until fairly late in development, then it was (half assedly) made async because MS wanted Halo PC to work on dialup.

Here's the post:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=23429
So, I mean, couldn't 343 Industries use Halo PC as a basis for bringing Halo CE Multiplayer to Xbox LIVE? And I'm not sure even using the original Halo CE model would create input lag because playing the game through a LAN tunnel didn't seem to cause that (although it could certainly break the game).

So, I mean, couldn't 343 Industries use Halo PC as a basis for bringing Halo CE Multiplayer to Xbox LIVE? And I'm not sure even using the original Halo CE model would create input lag because playing the game through a LAN tunnel didn't seem to cause that (although it could certainly break the game).

Possible? Maybe.

Feasible within the budget and schedule that CEA had? No.

Maybe for the 20 year anniversary.

Possible? Maybe.

Feasible within the budget and schedule that CEA had? No.

Maybe for the 20 year anniversary.

They could still contract out Halo CE Multiplayer XBLA. It wouldn't even need to be dressed up or anything. Not sure if you're seriously suggesting fans wait another 10 years.

And the cost of pushing a title update, new gametypes, and 7 new maps for Reach has got to be more than making a Halo PC port for XBLA.

FyreWulff

In theory.. maybe.

In reality.. I wouldn't want them to. Halo PC's netcode is shit for syncing physics objects. Like for instance, vehicles. Amongst other things.

Basically if people want the literal same experience OG multiplayer they can just spend the 15$ MS didn't charge us on Anniversary to buy Halo CE originals and XBC the multiplayer (as long as they aren't off-host)

In theory.. maybe.

In reality.. I wouldn't want them to. Halo PC's netcode is shit for syncing physics objects. Like for instance, vehicles. Amongst other things.

Basically if people want the literal same experience OG multiplayer they can just spend the 15$ MS didn't charge us on Anniversary to buy Halo CE originals and XBC the multiplayer (as long as they aren't off-host)
The problem is that there isn't really an active XBC multiplayer community for Halo: CE, and in no way is tunneling Halo: CE LAN through XBC an acceptable substitute for Xbox LIVE.

Finally jumped into some multiplayer after being addicted to Assassin's Creed and HOLY CRAP do these redone maps look gorgeous.

I love the 85% bloom that's standard in the Anniversary playlists, but I don't enjoy the full-out classic modes with the 3-shot pistol, original maps, no AAs, and zero bloom. They just get really chaotic and messy, none of the rhythm and moment-to-moment tactics that separate Halo from fare like CoD.

The section at 0:58 is badly off. I wasn't a big fan of the Reach iteration with the horns either.
Well I did say it sounds different, but I think it sounds good. What's great about the redone soundtrack is that it doesn't render the original meaningless, it's not a replacement. It's just another wonderful rendition of A Walk in the Woods for me to enjoy.

Karl2177

Well I did say it sounds different, but I think it sounds good. What's great about the redone soundtrack is that it doesn't render the original meaningless, it's not a replacement. It's just another wonderful rendition of A Walk in the Woods for me to enjoy.

That's a good way of putting it. I'm just not a big fan of it.

First Step sounds amazing. I sat in the section of AotCR where it plays just dancing MC to it while it played on loop. They really did a good job of finding similar synths.

GamerSoul

I bought the game last week for my brother and I must say it's pretty awesome. We have played all the Halo FPS games except the first so I had to get it. I tried it for myself and man the multiplayer is a big change for me. That pistol is no joke lol. Other than that I just gotta get use to the maps really. I'm loving the story too. I found the first terminal thing and I like how they add to the story.

TUROK

Does anyone have a link to the Anniversary version of Covenant Dance? It's probably one of my favorite Halo songs. Should have been in every game.

Yay me for getting the Bandanna skull finally. Also, it can't be said enough how incredible the Terminals are. I might even go so far as to say it's my favorite part of the remastered ediiton; striking visuals, well written, well acted. Bravo 343, bring me more of this.

Feindflug

...so we're not going to get anything new on Halo 4 for the rest of the year? :(

From Geoff's twitter account:

@geoffkeighley Are you going to be revealing anything other than what you've announced at the VGAs- if so, will you announce some soon?

@tbuxton42 Yes, next week we will announce more. A few huge bombs still to drop.

There is still hope I guess. :(

soldat7

Attack on the Control Room is quite possibly the best single-player experience in all of Halo, past and present. The level design, the encounters, everything. It's just so dang good.

On an unrelated note, I'm very disappointed with the audio in this game. Songs queue up only to be cut off abruptly, voices are either too loud or too soft, and the overall sound levels are just way off with sound effects drowning out the music all too frequently.

ElRenoRaven

Attack on the Control Room is quite possibly the best single-player experience in all of Halo, past and present. The level design, the encounters, everything. It's just so dang good.

On an unrelated note, I'm very disappointed with the audio in this game. Songs queue up only to be cut off abruptly, voices are either too loud or too soft, and the overall sound levels are just way off with sound effects drowning out the music all too frequently.

Never heard of that level? Does your copy have another level ours doesn't have? Maybe you mean Assault on the Control Room. lol

I thought this moment would never come. But I did it. My mom said this is maybe her proudest moment that I'm her son. My dad screamed I did it lika boss. My big brother hugged and said you did it well. I can add a new method to my flirt repertoire. I got the damn This Side Up achievement.

Me: Hey honey, I did it.
Girl: What?
Me: I have This Side Up Achievement.
Girl: Wow. Do you have the Never Tell Me the Odds achievo too?
Me: Nope?
Girl: Fuck off jerk.
Me will be crying in the corner.

I thought this moment would never come. But I did it. My mom said this is maybe her proudest moment that I'm her son. My dad screamed I did it lika boss. My big brother hugged and said you did it well. I can add a new method to my flirt repertoire. I got the damn This Side Up achievement.

Me: Hey honey, I did it.
Girl: What?
Me: I have This Side Up Achievement.
Girl: Wow. Do you have the Never Tell Me the Odds achievo too?
Me: Nope?
Girl: Fuck off jerk.
Me will be crying in the corner.
I just tell them about my Halo honor. Works every time.*

-------
*This is after I hand them my business card:
M. Dongblain, Community Veteran
~ Cleansing BKs since 2004 ~
(555) 555-DONG

I just tell them about my Halo honor. Works every time.*

-------
*This is after I hand them my business card:
M. Dongblain, Community Veteran
~ Cleansing BKs since 2004 ~
(555) 555-DONG
I'm just using my line and the reaction of the girls is:
GIF___Foam_Guy_by_SparkyX.gif

senador

Banned
I finished the game the other day. I really liked it. Here's some impressions:

In the beginning I was not fully sold on some of the sounds and graphics. The more I played the more I got into them and at the end I was sold. The sniper still sounds a bit off to me but its pretty good. The game has pretty poor audio mixing in my opinion. The levels can just be pretty off at times. I had to turn my stereo up so loud to blast some of the new tunes but then weapons and effects were so GD loud and voices were still too quiet. I wish we had in game adjustments available. I dig the music and plan to pick up the soundtrack.

I always thought the CE graphics looked great over all this time....until now. Some stuff still looks really great, but being able to instantly compare them shows just how dated they are now. Outdoor levels still look good, but indoor levels can be pretty bland and monotone. I'm totally sold on the new graphics and much prefer them. They may not be brand-new-360-game-good, but pretty excellent overall. A few things bugged me like odd looking rocks that were over textured, tooooo many lines in some places while other spots were naked panels with hardly any texture, and finally the doors on Assault on the Control Room/Two Betrayals, They are far too overdone and just look bad. I wish they were more simplistic. I was never a hater of the Library and actually really like the gameplay on the level. It can be pretty boring to look at though. The new graphics for the level makes it one my favorites now. It looks stellar.

I found the lighting to be superb and it was probably the main thing that made me "oooo" and "awww". Some people didn't like all the use of blue, but I loved it. The blue light beams coming in on Pillar of Autumn were beautiful. The lighting seemed really accurate everywhere and really added a lot to the older game for me. I have no problem with increased lighting in levels like Keyes and other areas. I think the lighting is better now and made the gameplay more accessible. It actually creates a better mood for me than just black shadows. I don't think Bungie did that for mood as much as being limited at the time.

I managed to find all the terminals and really enjoyed them. I can't wait to go re-watch them and enter the codes on Waypoint. I never found a single skull despite looking for them. I didn't look really carefully but I did try to pay attention. I don't want to look them up but I don't want to go hunting for all of them for hours either. Any tips on finding them? Are they tough to access? Up high? Out of the way of normal gameplay?

Manp

so i'm playing this, just finished the library, and holy crap i'm having a blast! this game is still great, i'm having so much fun even after 10 years.

still the best Halo ever

:)

11th Terminal

Welp, really? Thought they do something clever with it. Not give us what every single player of Halo 2 was told and could easily extrapolate themselves.
Interesting idea though, to tie Waypoint & the games more closey.

Does anyone else think Master Chief should have in-game quips in response to certain player-driven events? Such as when you attach a plasma grenade to an enemy, Master Chief will say "now that's what I call a sticky situation." Or "that's what I call sticking it to the enemy." Or when you shoot the Needler, he can say something like, "let me give you a few pointers."

To go even further, have Chief makes these quips during dramatic points during cutscenes. A perfect example is in Halo 2 when he jumps in the Covenant spaceship, detonates a bomb, and crash lands on a human ship, to which Johnson says, "for a brick, he flew pretty good!" After hearing this, Master Chief could say something like, "that was a blast."

I really think it could give Master Chief some extra personality. He'd be the natural evolution of '80s action movie stars.

Does anyone else think Master Chief should have in-game quips in response to certain player-driven events? Such as when you attach a plasma grenade to an enemy, Master Chief will say "now that's what I call a sticky situation." Or "that's what I call sticking it to the enemy." Or when you shoot the Needler, he can say something like, "let me give you a few pointers."

To go even further, have Chief makes these quips during dramatic points during cutscenes. A perfect example is in Halo 2 when he jumps in the Covenant spaceship, detonates a bomb, and crash lands on a human ship, to which Johnson says, "for a brick, he flew pretty good!" After hearing this, Master Chief could say something like, "that was a blast."

I really think it could give Master Chief some extra personality. He'd be the natural evolution of '80s action movie stars.
Bleugh, no. He's not some wise cracking kindergarten cop.

pakkit

Banned

Don't mess with the Duke, man.

No thank you.

senador

Banned
What? He is not Duke. I like Chief how he is as a silent protagonist. I'm slightly worried about Halo 4 how they want to explore who he is more. I'd rather them not. Let's just explore new cool shit and leave him who he is.

What the hell, no. Everyone else nailed it. Chief is not Duke Nukem.

Top Bottom