• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Anniversary |OT| It All Comes Full Circle

Oh, their laughing at me makes me so angry!

Yea, the green mist when your shields pop seems weird after I've gotten so accustomed to the way the Reach shields look. Definitely like that treatment (reach) better.
My wife berates me when I rather loudly tell a computer generated alien to go fuck itself. Apparently I do it often.

daedalius

My wife berates me when I rather loudly tell a computer generated alien to go fuck itself. Apparently I do it often.

Yea my wife just got angry when they laughed at her after they killed her, which they did MANY times throughout the campaign on heroic.

My girlfriend berates me for talking massive shit to prepubescent little kids on Xbox Live.

They all deserve it, though.

See I just never talk unless I'm with Halogaf, and then I just ignore/mute kids.

Yea my wife just got angry when they laughed at her after they killed her, which they did MANY times throughout the campaign on heroic.

See I just never talk unless I'm with Halogaf, and then I just ignore/mute kids.
I made a mistake of talking to a random dude recently, trying to explain what was going on the the TU playlist. Astoundingly, he took what I said as some sort of defense of bloom and proceeded to betray/insult me for the rest of the match. I took my mic off and placed it on the table in front of me, but I could still hear him yelling my name and how terrible I was through my headphones. It was unbelievable.

Ramirez

On the flip side of this, playing Reach again after a year, I forgot the Warthog would just flip over from tapping a medium sized rock in this game! That thing is fragile

and why does it take 2 and a half years for my shileds to recharge >_>

Because Reach is a terrible game.

I think I'm done with Saber's graphics. They brought such a frustrating mix of gorgeous and godawful (I'm looking at you, red elites) to the table and REALLY missed the point in a lot of key gameplay feedback areas (elite shield flicker is virtually nonexistent, sentinel shields aren't even shown, bullet impacts are not nearly visible enough, night vision is worthless, etc.). The end result is that I'm mostly relying on 10 years worth of muscle memory when I fight elites and banshees. Also, fuck that sniper reticle.

Surprisingly enough (given others' responses here), the place where I felt Saber was most successful in terms of visual updates was in tweaking the cut scenes and adding animations that fit with and improved upon the tone of the original. Maybe I'll just hit the Back button right before cut scenes...

I'm not just bashing Saber across the board - I thought the audio updates turned out great for the most part, but when I see the gorgeous work Certain Affinity did on the multiplayer side (and how many more employees they had in the credits), I'm left wishing they'd let Max and Co. handle the entire project.

Oh well, at least the classic graphics have been HD-ified.

Im also going to just stick with old graphics, but only because the input lag feels aweful on the new graphics.

Seriously if it wasnt for that I would love the new gfx mode.

Ramirez

Uh, you guys are bashing Saber for "their" graphical improvements, but wouldn't all of the art they were using have to get approved by 343 first?

PooBone

Uh, you guys are bashing Saber for "their" graphical improvements, but wouldn't all of the art they were using have to get approved by 343 first?

I'm not bashing Saber. Other than the Cortana/Keyes models and some audio problems I love this game.

Ramirez

I'm not bashing Saber. Other than the Cortana/Keyes models and some audio problems I love this game.

That was more towards Syracuse, he's been riding the game pretty hard for stuff that I would have to imagine got the ok from 343. They didn't just hand Halo to Saber and say "Alright guys, change the art as you see fit!".

daedalius

I'd imagine the artists/art director at 343 looked at all of the art before they said ok to it. So get ready for that Forerunner architecture in H4 ;) !

Ramirez said:
Good point - there weren't that many 343i employees listed in the credits though, so I wonder to what extent they were really hands-on with the nitty, gritty details like doors.

daedalius said:
I'd imagine the artists/art director at 343 looked at all of the art before they said ok to it. So get ready for that Forerunner architecture in H4 ;) !
Ack.

electronic shield deactivating = organic green mist poof? APPROVED!

Someone came to work drunk that day. Let's rename this effect the Shield Fart. Or the Parsons Fart.

KageMaru

It's been hard tearing myself away from Skyrim, but I think I'm going to try and finish my legendary run tonight.

The red elites are reach models they arnt to blame for that.

The red elites are not the same as those in Reach, they added some silver decals that totally throws me off. When I first saw a red elite in HaloCEA, I thought of Zordon from the power rangers. =/ That's not a good thing.

Someone came to work drunk that day. Let's rename this effect the Shield Fart. Or the Parsons Fart.

lol yup, it's one of the few changes that bothers me.

You should see this thread, people went on and on that Halo 4 might be for the next console.

MS would be stupid to not launch Halo 4 on the 360. Release Halo 4 on the 360 and use Halo 5 as a hook to entice fans to pick up a 720 (if they haven't purchased one already).

The Lamonster said:

KageMaru said:
The red elites are not the same as those in Reach, they added some silver decals that totally throws me off. When I first saw a red elite in HaloCEA, I thought of Zordon from the power rangers. =/ That's not a good thing.

Yup, these are exactly the kinds of things I'm talking about. Neither decision makes any sense to me...

ElRenoRaven

MS would be stupid to not launch Halo 4 on the 360. Release Halo 4 on the 360 and use Halo 5 as a hook to entice fans to pick up a 720 (if they haven't purchased one already).

Exactly. It worked great for Halo 3. I know that if and I mean that's a big if I enjoy the story for Halo 4 and feel it lives up to the universe and games Bungie made, I'd probably pick up an Xbox 3 whenever Halo 5 was released. I'm the weak type like that.

Blerg. Just noticed the Siege of Madrigal included with CEA OST is a few notes different from Marty's original.

I KNOW, I KNOW, it's a remake...but for some reason I just feel like that one should be left alone. It's my favorite of the series and...I dunno. Blerg.

Eh, the new version is identical in melody. The performance is slightly different in emphasis but the music is the same.

TUROK

But like, who cares about Ghosts of Onyx? Expanded universe stuff has no business altering the original Halo experience. I really hope that's not the reason. It's probably just that Sabre didn't fully respect the source material when they updated the graphics.
Actually, that'd be a great reason. Consistency between different mediums is vastly underrated.

heckfu

Banned
Eh, the new version is identical in melody. The performance is slightly different in emphasis but the music is the same.

Oh so false. If you want me to I can find sheet music and circle individual notes that are different. Again...it's close but saying the word 'identical' is a dangerous game.

hahaha, i remember laughing so hard and being so angry

Activate the lock thing so Bravo's Pelican crashes, grab the rockets and an overshield (there are 3 right outside the building that the skull is in). Start backpedalling on the platform then jump and shoot a rocket at your feet. I got up on my first try after grenade jumping for like 20 minutes where I only got close to the ledge a couple of times.

I agree with this as that is what I did to get it as well.

jackdoe

Actually, that'd be a great reason. Consistency between different mediums is vastly underrated.
They pretty much threw out consistency with regards to Halo Reach and Fall of Reach using some very, very eyebrow raising explanations to try to fix those discrepancies. I'd be amazed they'd start caring now, though there is that very awesome Fall of Reach reference in Halo CEA so maybe they have changed their tune.

Of course there is the other extreme, Gears of War 3, where you're actively punished for not reading the extra material and left with characters who pop out of nowhere or who return from the dead (but not really since they came back in a book!).

Ramirez

Really? SHIT. I spent a YEAR loving that game.. FOR WHAT?! I feel happily betrayed.

Let me restate that, Reach is a terrible Halo game. Make believe that it's not in the Halo universe and it's a good MP game compared to most of the tripe that is the alternative.

reach beta was tons more fun then retail, no idea why maybe I burned out of armour lock or something.

I also hate DMR starts, AR and pistol starts for life yo! shame they are so damn rare online.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How are you guys beating this on Legendary? I'm stuck on Halo at the first drop off encounter. The Elites take so many damn bullets and you have so little health...

watership

Let me restate that, Reach is a terrible Halo game. Make believe that it's not in the Halo universe and it's a good MP game compared to most of the tripe that is the alternative.

Perhaps something about it ruined it for you, but feel that each Halo game can be different and still be a Halo game in spirit. We shouldn't get too far off topic tho :) Actually slightly on topic. I wonder if these discussion terrify the 343i guys. Nothing can be harder than trying to innovate and satisfy your base at the same time.

SPEAK TO US OF TERROR, 343ies.

An-Det

I just finished 'Truth and Reconciliation', man what a fantastic level. A few chokepoints for me, but this was the first level for me that really made me remember how good the covenant AI was.

I'm playing the game pretty slowly since I'm taking a break between each level (playing Heroic), but it's so fucking good so far. No wonder I fell in love with it all those years ago.

I demand that the Halo 4 magnum use the same draw animation as Halo CE's. I can literally keep switching to the magnum and never get bored.
I absolutely love the animation and sound with the rocket launcher too. Any down time I had while I was carrying it was spent switching weapons. Pistol and rocket switching = GOD TIER

I demand that the Halo 4 magnum use the same draw animation as Halo CE's. I can literally keep switching to the magnum and never get bored.
I really think that Halo 4 take some serious inspiration from Halo CE when looking at weapons. All the weapon draw animations are fantastic and pretty much every weapon is useful without much if any overlap. So much fluff and overlap in the later games.

Listening to the OST right now and why are the tracks in such a strange order? Seems logical to me that they be in order of appearance in the game but you got tracks from like 343 Guilty Spark near the beginning. Very strange.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
Reach beta: vehicles had actual acceleration, tire grip and the tank was much harder to control but had a lot more control over where you wanted it to go when you master it. They were also a lot heavier. Once they took enough damage they'd catch on fire and then blow up even if you were in it with full shields. The banshee was a glass cannon

Reach retail: hog/tank/ghost reverted back to Halo 3 style controls and weight, vehicles can no longer blow up after catching on fire, Hog accelerates to max speed within 3 seconds and the banshee is a scorpion that can fly. Damage models back to Halo 3 style/lightness.

Basically the Reach beta hog felt like you were actually driving a vehicle, instead of the arcadey feel from 1/2/3.

Forever one of the very reasons i Hate Halo 2 for this.

I loved the feel of the Hog in Halo:CE. In Halo 2 it felt like a sports car.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Same here...makes walking from point a to point b an enjoyable experience.

TAKE NOTES FRANKIE.

That's one of the subtle touches to weapons I appreciate Bungie for adding in both CE and Reach.

Having a unique reloading animation for a partially empty vs completely empty clip, a unique equipping animation for picking up a weapon vs switching to it, and so on are all awesome and should be implemented for Halo 4. It makes the weapons more 'alive' and real.

I'd like a nice kick-back to the weapons, too.

Top Bottom