• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony in big trouble with PS Vita, Portable market in perm decline, rotting - Forbes

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2011/12/29/sony-in-big-trouble-with-ps-vita/

During its first week on sale in Japan, PS Vita sold 320 K units. The sales period tracked was just two days, so hopeful fans thought that perhaps the first full week would bring good news.

But the second week brought devastation – just 72 K units sold. [...]

Sony will likely be forced to cut the price of the PS Vita from 24’000 yen to well below 20’000 yen very soon. The upcoming US launch could be a true debacle for several reasons. Sony has decided to price Vita at $250, higher than the Amazon Kindle Fire. The hottest games like the latest Uncharted are priced at $50, while many other major titles are $40. The pricing seems delusional in light of the Japanese response to the PS Vita. The older PSP handheld console has been a bigger hit in Japan than it has been in the US market. The tablet and iPhone market penetration rates in America are higher than in Japan – consumers may well be more reluctant to splurge on expensive, proprietary handheld consoles. The launch of the Kindle Fire at $200 has changed the US consumer electronics pricing environment.

I believe Japan could well be the last stronghold of portable game consoles. Even though the 3DS stumbled badly during its early months, Nintendo revived the console with a steep price cut and nearly simultaneous launches of three major franchises near the end of the year. The 3DS should have been a surefire blockbuster in its domestic market – the summer softness in Japan may have been an early warning sign of the coming global portable market malaise. The disastrous second week of the PS Vita is the second sign. Sony clearly had some anxiety about the Vita’s launch – it built it massive early support via an extensive line of launch titles. Despite the fact that Sony’s PSP has been a big hit in Japan, the PS Vita is foundering badly out of the gate – the ancient and heavily discounted PSP outsold the brand new Vita by 40% during the Christmas week. Much is now riding on the Vita debut in the US market in February.

I argued last week that PS Vita could mark the end of the era of portable game consoles. There is no doubt that Nintendo’s 3DS is going to sell at least 20 Million units globally over the next couple of years. But the portable console market may now have entered an age of permanent, slowly accelerating decline. The true test of the industry is the United States, where consumers are embracing games designed for smartphones and tablets. The possible shrinking of the portable game consumer base would hit the runner-up Sony before Nintendo really gets mauled. The rot sets in first at the periphery.

Sony has approached the PS Vita launch in America with arrogance, pricing the console and games high while opting to debut the device during the slow retail month of February. Mobile app sales more than doubled during the Christmas of 2011 – solid triple digit volume growth. In the meanwhile, even in the Japanese heartland of video games, video game software unit sales are set to decline by double digits in 2011.
Medias predict a price drop very soon. Will it come? The western launch will be watched with high scrutinity, but I think this journalist is wrong. Vita is far more appealing to a western audience. I just wonder if PS3 owners will stop buying games for PS3 to afford a Vita, or keep buying PS3 games, and wait for a price drop.

AndHereWeGo.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
lol

Sony isn't gonna knee-jerk price cut after 2 weeks, and especially not 20% of the price. Bundling and colors will happen first.

lol Forbes.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
popcorn.gif

3DS is going to sell at least 20 million life time ? How generous Forbes ....haha

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It's like we're stuck in a loop.

I don't think vita needs a price drop (tho, I'd like one!) it just needs killer apps, like the 3DS got recently.

Takao

Banned
Evidently I haven't been telling enough people that Vita is doomed if articles like this keep on being posted.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Sony has approached the PS Vita launch in America with arrogance, pricing the console and games high while opting to debut the device during the slow retail month of February
Really the Vita is expensive now? Then why were these guys cheering when Sony announced $250 price at E3?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I for one am glad for all this negative press. I want Sony to feel the pressure and react in some way, either by rethinking their first and third party software strategy or adjusting the price.

Moar, I say.

snap0212

To be honest, I was ready to buy a PSVita day 1 when they showed it at E3. Everything about it seemed just like the handheld I've always wanted. Now that I know I won't be able to play certain games unless I buy a (expensive) memory card on day 1 has turned me off. I also want more than just one PSN account - considering that Sony still hasn't figured out how to release content across all western regions at the same time, being able to have multiple PSN accounts was a way Sony made kind of made up for that failure.

I have more than enough games to play on the consoles I already own. There's absolutely no need for me to buy another one and the bad things about Vita just turn me off. What worries me as well is the stuff we do not know.

It's a nice piece of hardware that I'd really like to own. Everything surrounding it is really bad, though.

I argued last week that PS Vita could mark the end of the era of portable game consoles. There is no doubt that Nintendo’s 3DS is going to sell at least 20 Million units globally over the next couple of years. But the portable console market may now have entered an age of permanent, slowly accelerating decline. The true test of the industry is the United States, where consumers are embracing games designed for smartphones and tablets. The possible shrinking of the portable game consumer base would hit the runner-up Sony before Nintendo really gets mauled. The rot sets in first at the periphery.
Do these guys have some sort of agenda or something? Jeez...

The Vita is probably going to have a terrible time in all regions, but the way they talk about handheld gaming as a whole is ridiculous.

BurntPork

Banned
Haha yeah, I guess it could crawl its way to 20 million by 2015.

Dumb article.

I'm trying to decide whether that or the "cut Vita's price to well below 20,000 yen" part is dumber. Considering the fact that 3DS has almost certainly crossed 10 million by now, I think I should go with the former.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
can smartphone gaming hurry up and be clinically linked to some massive new face cancer or mental illness so the press' absolute tiresome 'CONVENTIONAL GAMES MACHINES ARE OVER, ALL HAIL OUR APP OVERLORDS' narrative can stop getting shoehorned into every single piece of fucking mainstream reported gaming news.

Soroc

I just don't think Vita is going to have any more success in the US then the PSP has had.

Europe on the other hand is Sony's Bread and Butter

Shai-Tan

Banned
this guy is just repeating the same talking point that has been repeated for the last six months. people like him are very invested in it being right so they're always looking for evidence for it.

Regardless of the actual truth of the situation or what I even think of Vita's situation, we should not be taking articles like these very seriously. Can we all remember what similar articles (even Forbes itself?) said about 3DS? What it said about handheld gaming consoles being dead?

edit:

also too late for the "in before penny arcade image replies", but that one in particular is one of their weakest. There's not even a punchline, for crying in the mud. Haha.

olimpia84

It will fare better in the west since the lineup so far it's more suited to this audience. When COD Portable and other games like Madden are released it will see a jump in sales and will be fine.

scy

I haven't been keeping up with things but is "big trouble" an upgrade or a downgrade from Sony's previous situation with the Vita?

Top Bottom