• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony in big trouble with PS Vita, Portable market in perm decline, rotting - Forbes

Desiato

Sony going third party confirmed.

Really want a Vita, but don't like the hefty price tag. The sooner the price drop comes, the better.

If it means a 169.99 Vita then BRING IT I wants.
Wouldn't they have to discontinue the damned thing at that price?

$200 memory cards incoming.
It looks that way. I've only started following Vita this week and I've never seen so much doom and gloom for a device since Xbox 360.
The way the media goes on and on about the industry as a whole is pretty silly, but it goes into overdrive when it comes to handhelds...

Takao

Banned
Sony going third party confirmed.

Really want a Vita, but don't like the hefty price tag. The sooner the price drop comes, the better.

Sony's already third party.

It does make sense. He's talking about dedicated portable gaming devices slowly dying, as tablets and phones are now very capable gaming machines.

Okay, but some of the shit he's spouting is plain stupid. Thinking in a few years the 3DS will only reach 20 million? Derp, it's likely already half way there in less than a year.

Azih

I would like to go on record as being on the Vita will not succeed team before the game begins.

It's an incredibly odd duck in a smart phone world. Hell 7" tablets as well.

3ds has the marios and the karts and the monhuns and in the future, pokemans and more monhuns and love plus.

What does vita have that the japanese audience desire? A remake of a 'meh' ds tales game?

sajj316

I stopped here and dismissed anything he wrote above and below it ..

"Sony has approached the PS Vita launch in America with arrogance, pricing the console and games high while opting to debut the device during the slow retail month of February"

Famassu

There is no doubt that Nintendo’s 3DS is going to sell at least 20 Million units globally over the next couple of years.
Isn't 3DS already at, like, 12+ million units sold? Before it's even been in the market for a year... >_>; And this WITH the trouble they had with moving units earlier this year. Yeah... I'd say 3DS won't have a hard time hitting at least 30 million in the next couple of years, I'd guess even ~40 million isn't completely impossible.

It will fare better in the west since the lineup so far it's more suited to this audience. When COD Portable and other games like Madden are released it will see a jump in sales and will be fine.
Mimicking console games didn't work with the PSP and it probably won't work now...

Azih

Mimicking console games didn't work with the PSP and it probably won't work now...

Honestly the Vita seems like the PSP in a whole hell of a lot of ways. Which isn't exactly a good thing even if the market hadn't changed in nature which it very dramatically has.

I just don't think Vita is going to have any more success in the US then the PSP has had.

Europe on the other hand is Sony's Bread and Butter

And with the current value of the Euro, the more Sony sells in Europe, the more money they are going to lose.

Not really bothered by the price but I'm not even thinking of buying one until the first hardware revision a year or 2 in.

I could see it being dropped to or at least widely on sale for $199 by the end of the year though.

And with the current value of the Euro, the more Sony sells in Europe, the more money they are going to lose.

dont worry. Thanks to the unique way Sony uses conversion rates they will get as much cash as possible out of use increasingly poorer europeans

Mlatador

Banned
I'm just asking: How attractive is the PS Vita to PS3 owners?

I mean, Sony clearly wants their/other big Home Console franchises to come to the Vita (uncharted, killzone, and lots of all kinds of shooters)

I think the games might be to similar (also in visual quality) to their PS3 counterparts, so that I can see how anyone could maybe think "Why would I pay so much money only to have a dumped down experience (smaller screen, no surround, lesser graphics) with my favorite games" (they may already own), especially since most HD Console owners place a lot of value on super great visuals.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Isn't 3DS already at, like, 12+ million units sold? Before it's even been in the market for a year... >_>; And this WITH the trouble they had with moving units earlier this year. Yeah... I'd say 3DS won't have a hard time hitting at least 30 million in the next couple of years, I'd guess even ~40 million isn't completely impossible.

35 million at max when it's all said and done.

popeutlal

Okay, but some of the shit he's spouting is plain stupid. Thinking in a few years the 3DS will only reach 20 million? Derp, it's likely already half way there in less than a year.
Article never said that. It clearly states 3DS will sell "at leat" 20 million.

You guys are raging over the inevitable. The article is correct, PSV needs a price drop. Age of dedicated handhelds is over. Kids will not care for Mario anymore, they'll grow up with crap like Angry Birds.

Mlatador

Banned
3ds has the marios and the karts and the monhuns and in the future, pokemans and more monhuns and love plus.

What does vita have that the japanese audience desire? A remake of a 'meh' ds tales game?

And the Resident Evils, the Metal Gears Solids and the new Square Enix Ips...

disco

Wow, what a miserable article. So not only is the Vita doomed (which it isn't), the 3DS might as well just retire too.

I wouldn't worry about these articles at all. iPhone gaming is garbage.

jmdajr

My cousin's 3 year old loves angry birds. He can actually play it.

Mario, no way. Still to young for the motor skills to work.

Really, lets be fair, what appeals about the Vita that the PSP didn't try to go for? Touch? My Android does that and for much cheaper. Don't get me wrong. I have a PSP and a lonely looking library of PS2 remakes and niche Atlas RPGs. But I learned my lesson. At this point it'd have to approach reasonable, current 3DS pricing levels, to be a decent value, especially when you consider the bullshit of their "proprietary" memory.

Wazzim

Banned
Why is Forbes taken so seriously? It seems to be just another doom article to me.
2 weeks of sales isn't enough to take such radical conclusions.

Game Guru

Of course, Vita is in big trouble in Japan. Monster Hunter jumped ship to 3DS. Monster Hunter was pretty much what people bought the PSP for in Japan. It would be like 360 getting Call of Duty: Modern Warfare as an exclusive for the West.

CiSTM

Banned
Games will sell the system, unfortunately the games are over priced. Still I need to play some Uncharted so I'll give in and buy Vita day one.

sajj316

another iPhone/Android gaming is the future article .. nothing more. It's masked well and he put out this "Vita is doomed" article to further support is point from a previous article.

Takao

Banned
Article never said that. It clearly states 3DS will sell "at leat" 20 million.

You guys are raging over the inevitable. The article is correct, PSV needs a price drop. Age of dedicated handhelds is over. Kids will not care for Mario anymore, they'll grow up with crap like Angry Birds.

Putting an arbitrary number so low proves they really don't know what they're talking about. Me saying "Vita will sell at least 1 unit", doesn't sound as impressive if I were to say, Vita will sell above 40 million units.

Also, thanks for admitting you're one of phone idiots as well. Mario 3D Land's above 1 million units in Japan, and will likely outgross the revenue the Angry Birds smart phone games have made by the end of 2011.

Peru

Remember every mainstream media and even supposed experts in the financial press writing about how Nintendo was doomed with the 3DS, how its holiday push wouldn't make a difference, how everything was lost - even before its first holiday season? Yeah, I can't get myself to care for these blind predictions anymore.

It's all about games right? Is Sony so arrogant that they think they don't need important titles? No more moneyhat I suppose...

This Vita shit needed MonsterHunter4, FFVII through FFXII remakes, a slew of apps on a one stop shop similar to App Store (with multi account access), etc.

Hmmm, I'm starting to fear that I won't get a localized version of Persona 4 on the Vita and it's killing me dude.

I wouldn't worry about these articles at all. iPhone gaming is garbage.
Agreed. Thankfully, consumers are in agreement. Android and iPhone revenues are in a freefall as we speak:
ob41l.png

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
3DS has surpassed 4 million in Japan already I think...so it's already outsold the Gamecube's lifetime sales there, heh.

Top Bottom