• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur Demo Coming Jan 17th (360/PS3/PC), Has ME3 Cross Promotion Armor

rozay

Banned
Seems there's a cross-promotion between Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect 3 coming up:
REDWOOD SHORES, CA. – JANUARY 11, 2012 – The massive
world of Amalur will finally break open when Electronic Arts Inc.
(NASDAQ:EA) and 38 Studios, LLC release a demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: ReckoningTM on January 17, 2012. Available for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3
computer entertainment system and PC, the demo will give players a
taste of the rich, diverse, action-packed world of Amalur, and will also
unlock special items in the final game.

In addition to the demo, 38 Studios has teamed up with BioWare to create a cross promotion to reward fans of both Reckoning and Mass Effect 3*. By playing the upcoming demos for both Reckoning and Mass Effect 3, gamers will receive special in-game items, including Mass Effect inspired, Omni-blade daggers in Reckoning and special Reckoning-themed armor and assault rifle in Mass Effect 3 designed by award-winning artist Todd McFarlane.

“We are thrilled to have the opportunity to deliver this massive one-two punch with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and Mass Effect 3. We wanted to provide fans of the Mass Effect franchise with a unique set of rewards for diving into the expansive universe of Reckoning,” said Curt Schilling, Chairman and Founder of 38 Studios.

“We are excited to be collaborating with 38 Studios to bring pieces inspired by the Mass Effect universe into the world of Reckoning and to have items designed by Todd McFarlane in Mass Effect 3,”
said Dr. Ray Muzyka, General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label and
Co-Founder of BioWare. “This is an awesome way to reward our fans with
unique content that not only looks cool, but also delivers some great
in-game benefits.”

By playing the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo,gamers will receive two unlocks for Mass Effect 3 when the highly anticipated game releases on March 6, 2012, both designed by the renowned creator of Spawn, Todd McFarlane:

Reckoner Knight Armor:
This armor will maximize damage done in close-quarters combat while a
beefed–up power cell feeds energy into weapon systems to increase
projectile velocity.

The Chakram Launcher: This
weapon uses a fabricator to manufacture lightweight, explosive
ammunition discs. This weapon is earned after completing the Reckoning demo and watching the trailer at the end.

By playing the upcoming Mass Effect 3 demo, fans will unlock the following items for Reckoning when the game launches on February 7, inspired by Mass Effect:

N7 Armor:
Players can unlock special armor inspired by Commander Shepard’s iconic
N7 battle armor including Helm, Cuirass, Gauntlets, Chausses and
Greaves.

Onmiblade Daggers: A
holographic blade stemming from Commander Shepard’s Omni-Tool, the
Omni-blade allows players to stab enemies in close combat. Once players
install and play the Mass Effect 3 demo, they will unlock the daggers.

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
demo features the introduction to the game, allowing players to
experience the game’s Tutorial Mode and a portion of its large, open
world. Players will create and customize their hero and drop right into
the action. Once players master the basics, they will have 45 minutes to
explore the vast world of Amalur and begin to embark upon a quest that
could redefine their character’s destiny forever.

600x-1

600x-1

600x-1

600x-1

600x-1

600x-1

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The closest I'll get to the horrific Dragon Age x Mass Effect crossover concept.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't understand why they keep doing this.

Edit: I mean the scifi x fantasy armor/weapons collaborations. Can't wait for the demo.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to buy it. The armor looks slick but will probably be useless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Meh. After the EA support fiasco I've had and the online pass codes expiring to where I have to pay $15 to enjoy ME2, I'm completely cold to ME3 and anything relating to it. :|

glaurung

For a moment there it almost felt that I was looking at the long lost Hellgate London armor sets.

Like the armors in ME3. The daggers in Amalur? Not so much.

I am happy they are putting a demo out for Amalur because I really wanted to try it out before buying it. Kind of skeptical about the combat but other than that it seems like Amalur could be great with the talent behind it.

I am super-hyped for Reckoning, have it on pre-order, but I’ll try not to play the demo. Want to come to the game fresh – though if demo impressions are bad I might quickly change my mind and have a try with it myself!

The ME3 cross-promotion is probably annoying me more than it should. But why are fantasy and sci-fi so often conflated in the minds of marketing depts.? I do love both genres, but I can’t work out why that’s automatically assumed. And having sci-fi themed items in a fantasy game, or vice versa, seems incongruous. The Fable 2 Master Chief outfit and weaponry bugged the crap out of me as well.

Macstorm

Mhh .. but demos are 360 only right ?

So what happens if I play the games on PC after ?
The demos are for all three systems.
a demo for Kingdoms of Amalur: ReckoningTM on January 17, 2012. Available for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3
computer entertainment system and PC

Lothars

I don't have an issue with the cross promotion plus I was going to play Kingdoms of Amalur anyway so it works out well.

I am looking forward to trying the demo.

I am super-hyped for Reckoning, have it on pre-order, but I’ll try not to play the demo. Want to come to the game fresh – though if demo impressions are bad I might quickly change my mind and have a try with it myself!

God forbid you can actually try something before you buy it. You Sir are a perfect customer.

Excited for the demo. Really wanted to actually play this as the art-design and world do absolutely nothing for me.
If it is Oblivion/Skyrim without horrid combat, then day one!

God forbid you can actually try something before you buy it. You Sir are a perfect customer.

I am perfect, yes. I congratulate you on spotting that.

Didn't mean to suggest I was annoyed there's a demo or anything like that. I'm glad, in fact, because the lack of one would suggest a lack of confidence in the game itself. And like I said, if impressions are bad, I will download it and have a try.

ironcreed

Banned
I think the armor looks pretty nifty all around. Nothing wrong with getting a little bonus for two games that I plan to buy.

Top Bottom