• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur Demo Coming Jan 17th (360/PS3/PC), Has ME3 Cross Promotion Armor

I have a strong sense that this game is going to bomb hard. That's a shame too because the combat looks really fantastic for an open world RPG like this.

Zeal

Banned
So damn hyped for this amazing looking game. Bought two copies of the limited edition.

I stand by my belief that this will be the Fable killer, and start of an all new mega-franchise.

So damn hyped for this amazing looking game. Bought two copies of the limited edition.

I stand by my belief that this will be the Fable killer, and start of an all new mega-franchise.

This console gen will end on a high note and that high note's name is Kingdoms of Amalur.

Dead

well not really...yet
Amalur is probably my most anticipated game atm. This seems like a nice idea to get more people to check out the demo (in hopes that the game actually delivers on what is being shown)

Elginer

Preorded once I saw footage at Pax about a year ago. Shit looks awesome, got my copy paid in full.

Hope it doesn't bomb too hard.

I don't get the Fable comparisons, but if this game could fill a niche, I'd hope it would be that. This looks like it might actually deserve the success the Fable series certainly no longer does.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Great promotion since I've never even heard of this game before, and I want that Mass Effect 3 armor and weapon.

This is a great example of marketing your game.

Great promotion since I've never even heard of this game before, and I want that Mass Effect 3 armor and weapon.

This is a great example of marketing your game.

I have to agree that this is good news for this game. 200k people just went "what the hell, what game is this". I wasn't entirely expecting the game to be tossed to the dogs, but this is EA after all.

LiK

Wish we got the same perks for playing the game. I don't play demos for day one purchases anymore. I'll do it.

Mechazawa

Gotta say, when they first announced this, there weren't enough mehs in the world. Todd McFarlane art + Elders Scrolls-esque = I couldn't care less.

But the Giant Bomb quick look and this video really turned me around. I'm really looking forward to it now since it seems to be addressing the biggest thing that has always made me avoid Elder Scrolls.

ReaperXL7

This will be a hard game to demo the complete experience. They will most likely show the intro section where you learn about combat, different weapons and the game's systems, then cut off when you get to the full open world area.

That said, the intro gives you a great taste of combat and should really hook you. Fun stuff.

No, if you read the stuff that they have release about what the demo will entail, it's basically that you play through the tutorial quest, and then when you meet agarth the fateweaver and finish speaking will him you can go and explore the world for 45 minutes. This sounds like the best way to demo a game like this if your going to do it.

ReaperXL7

...Wait, why does Amalur have an online pass?

This was posted by muse on the Reckoning forums, She is the community manager for BigHugeGames:

Okay, so the 'online pass' is just a one-time-use code associated with a digital reward or content. In this case, it's a code that comes included with all XBox 360 and PS3 versions of Reckoning (either in the box for physical copies, or printed on the e-receipt for digital downloads), and is already built in to the PC game registration code. You redeem the code via your Origin (EA) account.

The only thing it "unlocks" is the cross promo Sheperd N7 Armor from Mass Effect. So if you don't really care about that armor set then no worries.

I guess I'll try it. I mean it looks like crap, but it could turn out ok. I would like to see how the world is structured and if the combat is actually good.

I have a strong sense that this game is going to bomb hard. That's a shame too because the combat looks really fantastic for an open world RPG like this.

In a world where Two Worlds can do well, I think this will find an audience ...especially with EA level marketing

Xater

I think these cross promotions are super dumb but I'll take it over pre-order DLC.

do you mean zero marketing?

Seriously their marketing for Recking has been shit. I only got interested in it because Giant Bomb had some decent coverage lately. The demo will be the deciding factor for my buying decision.

Chris_C

KOA is looking really nice, appreciate the demo. I'll be picking this up for sure. I wasn't certain they could pull off God of War meets Oblivion, but that's exactly what the game looks like (with WoW's color palette and architecture, and elf models and SWTOR's human character models... weird.

I really think the ME3 tie in will be a major boost to the game's name recognition. The issue of course being that now that people are searching for it, they need to put out some actual advertising for it to keep it in people's minds.

Stampy

I think these cross promotions are super dumb but I'll take it over pre-order DLC.

To me it seems like a good approach. It is most likely that the number of people playing the demo will deffinitley increase. What is the reasoning behind saying that this specific marketing strategy is dumb? Do you think it is ineffient or something else is wrong with it?

Xater

To me it seems like a good approach. It is most likely that the number of people playing the demo will deffinitley increase. What is the reasoning behind saying that this specific marketing strategy is dumb? Do you think it is ineffient or something else is wrong with it?

It's probably effective but to me these extras sometime don't fit with the other universe of the game, or I might have to play something I am not that interested in. The last part is not the case here but it could be somewhere down the line. But like I said i'll take it over pre-order DLC.

Unity2012

This game better be awesome. I need it to be awesome.

Don't you worry... it is Awesome!

kingdoms-of-amalur.jpg

ReaperXL7

Weekend Confirmed 95 - Ken Rolston, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

2 hour podcast, with Ken and Joe from Big Huge Games. I love Ken guy seems nuts, but he's fun to listen to when it comes to his experiences developing RPGs both Table top, and Gaming. Some don't like his personality as it can come off as being abit overboard, but I think it's awesome listen to devs who apprently love what they are doing.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/71980/weekend-confirmed-95-ken-rolston-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning

Decado

I guess it is too much to hope for that the game will be mod-friendly on the PC? That's the only time I really get interested in these cross-platform RPGs.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be playing through Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning pretty much every day. I'll keep you up-to-date (perhaps a couple of times a week) as to my progress, how I'm feeling about what I'm seeing and doing, and more. All of that will culminate in a freshly written review before the game launches to the masses in early February, when I'll render my final verdict.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1216517p1.html

His first update is live.

I want this game to do well as it looks like what I always wanted Fable to be. But I'm not sure I'll have the funds to purchase a copy and support the game. =(

ReaperXL7

There has been a flood of new info, interviews, videos, and all kinds of stuff this week, and the next few weeks don't seem to be slowing much. It's making the wait for feburary 7th that much harder, just sounds , and looks awesome to me.

Here is also another interview with Ken and Joe on Invisible Walls from GT:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-193-invisible-walls/725760

Could probably listen to Ken talk about this stuff for awhile, It's pretty awesome hearing devs sound so excited about it. Hopefully that excitment pays off.

Keasar

So the demo will be out on PC, probably on Origin, my question is this, will it be out on the same date in Europe?

JWong

Banned
Hey, does this promotion end at some point? or does it keep going.

Wonder if I can wait for ME3 to come out before doing this. Busy playing TOR atm.

Top Bottom