• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur Demo Coming Jan 17th (360/PS3/PC), Has ME3 Cross Promotion Armor

Well, this is bizarre. I honestly didn't see this coming, although it's certainly not surprising.

This explains what Curt was hinting at the other day though.

ReaperXL7

I think every Mass Effect fan will download the demo, but still wont buy the full game. This promo will help ME.

Until Mass Effect fans play KOAR and realize it's actually a better RPG than Mass Effect has become.

Obviously I'm looking forward to Reckoning, have been for awhile. I was debating on wether or not I wanted to grab ME3, because I don't like the direction that Bioware has been going after the first, but we will see what happens. I'll probably still end up with both but i'm much more excited for Reckoning.

The Daggers seem alittle out of place when you compare them to the Reckoning stuff in ME but maybe they will look better in the actual game. I'm just more excited to get my hands on the demo. Can work on the OT till the demo is out.

Saty

I would have thought they would do something like that for the full game to push it. Now players can get the ME3 items and throw the demo away and not buy KOAR.

ReaperXL7

I think it's actually Mass Effect fans play both and ignore the people that say Mass Effect isn't a RPG.

I'm not saying that Mass Effect is not an RPG, though some of the elements have been diluted, it still qualifies, and who knows maybe Bioware brought back some of the depth but I'll need to get my hands on it before I make any real judgements.

For anyone who has not been paying attention to Reckoning here are some videos you can watch if you'd like.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
No but it will be on Steam which is an improvement over other EA games. As long as there's no forced Origin support I'll buy it.

Also screw mass effect, this is the actual RPG I'm looking forward to.

You'll still need to log in to your EA account I figure, so it can register your cross promotion goodies.

Speaking of, is there anyone working on ME3 that responds to tweets? Someone should ask them if the PC build will receive any extra bells and whistles like DA2 did.

Lothars

I'm not saying that Mass Effect is not an RPG, though some of the elements have been diluted, it still qualifies, and who knows maybe Bioware brought back some of the depth but I'll need to get my hands on it before I make any real judgements.

For anyone who has not been paying attention to Reckoning here are some videos you can watch if you'd like.
Thanks for those videos, I've seen one or two of them but I will watch the rest of them.

Grisby

Seems like a fun promotion. I wonder how big the demo will be.

Also, I'm patiently waiting for Issac Clarke to make his token appearance.

Wow, now that's how you do a promotion. I can definitely get behind free unlocks by simply playing demos. Hopefully this trend catches on.

ReaperXL7

Here is an FAQ about the promo from the Reckoning forums:

What is the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover Promotion?

When you play the Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 demos, you unlock exclusive items in both games that are associated with this promotion. Check our official Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover Promotion page for more details.

What exclusive items are associated with the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover? How do I unlock them?

Here are the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items, along with the requirement to unlock each one.

Chakram Launcher
By playing the Reckoning demo and watching the included video in its entirety, you will automatically unlock the Chakram Launcher in Mass Effect 3.

Omniblade Daggers
By playing the Mass Effect 3 demo, you will automatically unlock the Omniblade Daggers in Reckoning.

Reckoner Knight Armor (Todd McFarlane-designed Warsworn armor)
By playing the Reckoning demo, you will automatically unlock the Reckoner Knight Armor (Todd McFarlane-designed Warsworn armor) in Mass Effect 3.

Shepard’s Battle Armor (male/female N7-inspired armor)
You automatically unlock the N7-inspired Shepard’s Battle Armor in Reckoning with your online pass, available in all new full copies of Reckoning, or by purchasing the Reckoning online pass on PSN or XBL. It automatically unlocks on Origin with your PC registration code.

For all Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items, a pop up will appear to let you know you’ve unlocked each item and that it is available for use. Please see our Reckoning Demo FAQ for details about other cool item unlocks associated with only the Reckoning demo.

When will I get Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items?

You must purchase the game that the item is for (Reckoning and Mass Effect 3, respectively) since they are in-game items.

Is there any other way to get the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items?

No, these items are currently only available by playing the Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 demos and/or purchasing the full games.

Are the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items functional? Can I actually use/wear them in-game, or are they only ornamental?

Yes, the items you unlock via the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover are all things your Mass Effect 3 or Reckoning characters can equip and use. Each item does have stats and lore associated with it, but they are not intended to be the best equipment you can get.

Will the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items be available to all the characters I create in Reckoning, or only the first character I create?

The crossover items you’ve earned will be available for every character you create in Reckoning.

Do any of the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items have a level restriction?

Some of the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items do have minor level and attribute equip requirements, however they are intended to be great beginning equipment and are leveled appropriately for that purpose. All your characters will either already meet the necessary equip requirements, or be within one level of doing so by the time you reach Gorhart Village, where the items are located.

Do any of the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items scale with my character’s level?
No, the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items are intended to be awesome items to help you get started in Reckoning. They’ll give you a great edge as you forge your path in Amalur, but they do not level up with your character.

Does the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover have any regional restrictions?

There are no regional restrictions associated with the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover; however, you must be able to access and play the demos.

After I’ve unlocked the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items, how, when, and where do I get them?

After you’ve unlocked the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items and have purchased the full game(s), simply log in to your Origin account within the game to receive the items. In Reckoning, the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items (the Shepard’s Battle Armor and Omniblades) will appear in a special deliveries chest in Gorhart Village. Details about where the items will appear in Mass Effect 3 will be announced at a later date.

For the N7-inspired Shepard’s Battle Armor in Reckoning, you automatically unlock it with your online pass, available in all new copies of Reckoning, or by purchasing the Reckoning online pass on PSN or XBL. It automatically unlocks on Origin with your PC registration code.

If I play the demos on different platforms, will I still be eligible for the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items? (For example, Mass Effect 3 on PC and Reckoning on PS3.)

No, you must play the Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 demos on the same platform to be eligible for the crossover items.

If I buy Reckoning or Mass Effect 3 on a different platform than I played the demos, will I still get the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items?

No, you must purchase Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 on the same platform that you played the demo on, and unlocked the demo crossover items for, in order to get items.

I want to play Reckoning and Mass Effect 3 on PC. As a PC user, do I need to use Origin in order to be eligible for the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items?

You must create and log in to your Origin account in order to receive the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items, but you do not need to have the Origin client/installer. Signing in to your Origin account simply registers that you’ve unlocked the Reckoning & Mass Effect 3 Crossover items, then when you get your full copy of Reckoning and Mass Effect 3, log in again and the items will appear in-game.

I think this will actually be pretty good for Reckoning, it might be able to get people who would have overlooked the game entirely to atleast give it a try and help get some of the interested in the game.

Really looking forward to the demos for both games.

inky

I hate cross promotions but I guess I was going to play both demos anyway. And Reckoning sure need the exposure.

Wow, now that's how you do a promotion. I can definitely get behind free unlocks by simply playing demos. Hopefully this trend catches on.

Well, don't know about catching on, but definitely beats liking shit on facebook by a good margin.

ReaperXL7

Ahh found a description of what the demo fo Kingdoms of amalur demo will contain interms of game content.

The Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo features the introduction to the game, allowing players to experience the game’s Tutorial Mode and a portion of its large, open world. Players will create and customize their hero and drop right into the action. Once players master the basics, they will have 45 minutes to explore the vast world of Amalur and begin to embark upon a quest that could redefine their character’s destiny forever.

So being able to play through the tutorial, and then getting 45 minutes to explore the open world seems like a cool deal to me. I think it's got to be really difficult to show off a game like this thats supposed to take hundereds of hours to play through in a demo, but this seems like a good way of doing it.

Thanks for the vids!

ironcreed

Banned
Ahh found a description of what the demo fo Kingdoms of amalur demo will contain interms of game content.

So being able to play through the tutorial, and then getting 45 minutes to explore the open world seems like a cool deal to me. I think it's got to be really difficult to show off a game like this thats supposed to take hundereds of hours to play through in a demo, but this seems like a good way of doing it.

Can't wait. Will be giving it a go on PS3.

Effect

Glad there is going to be a PS3 demo. Still worried as there is no telling how it will turn out but things are leaning in the positive direction that there is even one to begin with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is Amalur really coming to Steam?

It's an EA co-published title, not a fully published title, so they have a lot more leeway.

It also means they get vastly less marketing dollars since EA is only funding a small portion of the game, which is why there are people here who have never heard of it despite being on GAF.

Any ETA on ME3 demo then? You would think they will release it close to when Reckoning ships.

Targeted at January.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Is Amalur really coming to Steam?

Someone here said Schilling said yes. They will not ignore the biggest market on PC. It is also an EA Partners game, though that didn't stop Crysis 2 from being removed.

I would at the very least expect being forced to run your EA account similar to Alice. If not require Origin outright.

I've been enjoying how Kingdoms has been progressing and I'm happy its receiving this promotion. Of course having the Gears 3 beta didn't save Bulletstorm, another fantastic EA partners title.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Someone here said Schilling said yes. They will not ignore the biggest market on PC. It is also an EA Partners game, though that didn't stop Crysis 2 from being removed.

I would at the very least expect being forced to run your EA account similar to Alice. If not require Origin outright.

Crysis 2 was actually fully funded and published by EA, which is a bit different than most EA Partners games.

Macstorm

This will be a hard game to demo the complete experience. They will most likely show the intro section where you learn about combat, different weapons and the game's systems, then cut off when you get to the full open world area.

That said, the intro gives you a great taste of combat and should really hook you. Fun stuff.

Ghost23

Does the 45 minute demo limit mean that you can play it as many times as you want but only for 45 minutes at a time and you have to start over each time?

Gorki247

In addition to these ME3 items, the Reckoning demo will also unlock three items in the full version of the game:
“Confident” Twist of Fate Card
You unlock the “Confident” Twist of Fate Card by installing the Reckoning demo and linking your Origin account within the demo.

Infernal Helm
You unlock the Infernal Helm after completing the Reckoning Mode Tutorial in the Reckoning demo.

Twinned Souls Chakram
You unlock the Twinned Souls Chakram by installed the Reckoning demo and linking your Origin account within the demo.

For all Reckoning demo items, a pop up will appear to let you know you’ve unlocked each item and that it is available for use.

Edit: And the N7 armor for Reckoning is available with all newly purchased copies of the game (EA online pass).

Derrick01

Banned
*snerk* That's already in quite a few of the older EA games on steam (in limited form), so good luck with that.

I don't know what you mean by that, I haven't run into anything that's made me use Origin like a GFWL game does. Only game I know of that requires it is BF3.

Hannar

Hopefully this provides a little recognition for Amalur and broadens the market a little bit. The product will speak for itself once it's out, but until then...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So this stuff isn't tied to your Origin/Bioware social? I don't have to redeem any codes, it'll just know by my EA/Origin account?

Top Bottom