• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

MrDaravon

why should ALL FPS games feature the same systems? like you say, almost all shooters feature perks style progression these days, why isn't that enough?

Given how it's so widespread, and all of the most popular shooters have it, it's obviously what people want. If you don't like it that's totally valid, but that's obviously the direction things are going in. It doesn't necessarily have to be perks, but these days you really need to have some sort of overall character investment. Reach had it, but it wasn't very good for a variety of reasons. I'm not making an argument for or against since I don't feel that strongly about it either way, but there's just no way you can put out a AAA FPS that does not have some sort of constant leveling/progression/etc. Part of the reason CoD, Battlefield, etc are successful is that you are always leveling up and unlocking new things; it makes you feel like you are progressing forward. In the old days I knew people who wouldn't play FPS games for very long (Halo included) because they were terrible at them and they would just get worked horribly almost every game, and there was no sense of progression of them getting anywhere outside of going 4 and 20 every game. But then I know those same people who are still terrible but enjoy playing something like CoD or Battlefield because even if they suck outside of the occasional good game, they still always feel like they're progressing towards a goal and still leveling up and feeling like they have some success in that regard.

It doesn't necessarily have to be perks or weapon unlocks, but there has to be SOMETHING like that I think for a FPS to be really successful long-term, and Battlefield, CoD, and others pretty much bear that out. I think Reach could have pulled it off successful with having progression without actual game-changing unlocks but honestly I feel that they fucked it up for a variety of reasons and I don't want to derail. In any case I really think people should wait to see specifically what sort of perks/unlocks they're talking about here, as well as if they will be completely separated in Matchmaking before getting too upset, I know it's Halo and people are super uptight, but let's at least give them a chance.

It looks good. Some shots brought back the Halo 3 feeling. BR is awesome. Forerunner stuff in campaign is awesome. No bloom is awesome. Sprint is still in, awesome. All this agile superhero stuff reminds me of Crysis 2, I hope we get some of that athleticism in there. I like how the HUD isn't completely static anymore.

That said, I'm still not completely sold. At least, not to me. The font in the HUD is, as somebody else noted, ugly, and once again reminds me of some cheap japanese knock-off. I'm starting to grow more fond of the Chief's armor, but it's not quite there yet. And the SPARTAN IV's don't look very Halo to me at all. At least the ones we've seen in detail don't. I've seen some armor permutations running around that are more to my liking. The perks system needs some clarification: if it's really similar to how CoD works, I probably won't touch the multiplayer at all. If it's more similar to Reach, it might be interesting. As long as there's no Armor Lock.

The BR looks extremely blocky: it reminds me of Reach. Not neccesarily a bad thing, just something I'll need to get used to.

At this point, though, I'm pretty sure this'll be a day 1. It's looking fine, even if not completely to my liking.

I beli343.

Portugeezer

New BR looks nice.

RZKV2.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
But for what purpose? Are you really not going to buy it because it's sub HD? What you just want to spread around that it's sub-HD? Seems fucking pointless.

The way your even "interacting" with the devs is disgracefull.
Really? He's just wondering about it. As soon as direct-feed shots are released the pixel counters will figure it out anyway, but it'd be nice to get a straight answer from a developer. I'm willing to bet it's not 1280x720, but who knows.

Given how it's so widespread, and all of the most popular shooters have it, it's obviously what people want. If you don't like it that's totally valid, but that's obviously the direction things are going in. It doesn't necessarily have to be perks, but these days you really need to have some sort of overall character investment. Reach had it, but it wasn't very good for a variety of reasons. I'm not making an argument for or against since I don't feel that strongly about it either way, but there's just no way you can put out a AAA FPS that does not have some sort of constant leveling/progression/etc. Part of the reason CoD, Battlefield, etc are successful is that you are always leveling up and unlocking new things; it makes you feel like you are progressing forward. In the old days I knew people who wouldn't play FPS games for very long (Halo included) because they were terrible at them and they would just get worked horribly almost every game, and there was no sense of progression of them getting anywhere outside of going 4 and 20 every game. But then I know those same people who are still terrible but enjoy playing something like CoD or Battlefield because even if they suck outside of the occasional good game, they still always feel like they're progressing towards a goal and still leveling up and feeling like they have some success in that regard.

It doesn't necessarily have to be perks or weapon unlocks, but there has to be SOMETHING like that I think for a FPS to be really successful long-term, and Battlefield, CoD, and others pretty much bear that out. I think Reach could have pulled it off successful with having progression without actual game-changing unlocks but honestly I feel that they fucked it up for a variety of reasons and I don't want to derail. In any case I really think people should wait to see specifically what sort of perks/unlocks they're talking about here, as well as if they will be completely separated in Matchmaking before getting too upset, I know it's Halo and people are super uptight, but let's at least give them a chance.

i'm giving them a chance, and i'm hoping it isn't really something like perks, but enough of us don't like perks that it makes sense that people still make games that start everyone on a level playing field. at the very least i'm sure there'll be a matchmaking playlist along those lines.

Halo 4 isn't likely to make a dent in COD's popularity, so it makes sense for them to do something different. i understand why some people find such systems rewarding, but i also understand why some of us don't.

Halo was a great party game, in part, because everyone started out with great hardware, and everyone felt like they had a chance.

i don't like grinding. never have. never will and i'm not alone.

Man, this looks cool 'n all, but are we going to ever get an optional first person driver's seat viewpoint when in vehicles? I mean, fucking seriously...let me play that way if I want and, clearly, the dashboard and instrument panel in H4 got a lot of attention to detail.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
great. but thats no what i asked ;) i am just a bit worried, since the video on waypoint has the exact same stutter problem as anniversary.

It's a video of very early footage. There are LOTS of bugs and work in progress in that footage. We do not intend to ship with them.

Really? He's just wondering about it. As soon as direct-feed shots are released the pixel counters will figure it out anyway, but it'd be nice to get a straight answer from a developer. I'm willing to bet it's not 1280x720, but who knows.

erm, i do. i have fucking eyes. it's 1280 x 720. you don't need native screens to tell, just a clear enough look at a suitable edge or some sub pixel detail.

it's full 720p. the devs confirm it. the video confirms it. let's drop this shit now.

The only thing I'm not in love with, are those prototype shaky-cam first person sections. If you make the game control well you don't need to take away the players control to show something cool.

Other than that, fucking amazing.

Back to basics.

And perks can make the game awesome. They can be even less intrusive than Armor Abilities, they can spice up the gameplay without making you think "That guy only won because of his perks".

I'm hyped.

And also, am I the only one who thinks the design reminds me of The Package in Legends? For better or worse, atleast it's not very anime in movement and gameplay-design.

Izayoi

Banned
How is 1024*720 native 720p? you don't have a clue about what native res means, do you?

Haters in this thread are hilarious.
You're awfully quick to jump on my case there, friend. Perhaps I need to post an image of my Halo collection in order for you to not wildly mislabel me a hater because I'm curious about the resolution? Reach was claimed to be 720p at some point and it ended up being 1156x720. It's not wrong to wonder.

I think some of you are little fast in lining people up, not everyone who isn't slobbering all over the game is a hater, trust me.

wwm0nkey

just a heads up to the gaming side AA (not armor abilities) is confirmed for Halo 4.

Dont think it was in what we where shown though.

i'm giving them a chance, and i'm hoping it isn't really something like perks, but enough of us don't like perks that it makes sense that people still make games that start everyone on a level playing field. at the very least i'm sure there'll be a matchmaking playlist along those lines.

Halo 4 isn't likely to make a dent in COD's popularity, so it makes sense for them to do something different. i understand why some people find such systems rewarding, but i also understand why some of us don't.

Halo was a great party game, in part, because everyone started out with great hardware, and everyone felt like they had a chance.

i don't like grinding. never have. never will and i'm not alone.

What if you're matched up to players with the same amount of "perks" unlocked (similar experience)? I don't see it as any different than armor abilities or getting power weapons. Having things augment your play style could be really fun.

Personally I hope there are like 20 or so "enhancements" that effect your traversing or gunplay. Each of these enhancements have multiple levels sort of like Mass Effect, so they get better and better over time. You can choose to have an evened out player or a really focused player. Just because a lot of devs don't do it right doesn't mean 343i wont.

KageMaru

One thing I liked about the series is the lack of bullshit unlocks that made the game unbalanced. Everyone used to play on an equal playing field.

It's a safe bet that they will have playlists for classic/no perk games. They aren't going to force a known controversial addition down our throats.

Not sub-HD.

Jaw: dropped.

Now I only hope you guys didn't sacrifice the sprawling, sandbox type environments for a bump in resolution.

Looks great, amazed how it looks noticeably better than Reach even though I was mostly expecting Reach graphics with FXAA.

i'm pretty amazed anyone could think otherwise based on these videos. jaggies are apparent, yes, but even on youtube HD these look pretty damn sharp and full 720p. even if we didn't have a dev confirming it...

I'll admit that I got those impressions from just watching the vidoc once since I'm at work. I'll also admit that Youtube is the worst way to judge IQ and such. It was just first thoughts off the top of my head.

It is native 720p.

<3 you guys.

1280x720 or some shit like 1024x720?

You're trying way too hard.

thisisneogaf.jpg

More like thisisalr1ghtstart.jpg

Edit:

You can see a transparent outline of the visor in the gameplay in this gif. I'm betting it's just this way for multiplayer or you can turn it off

Yeah that does make sense. I was just hoping they would copy Crysis 2 on how the HUD would move in relation to the player, especially since it makes more sense to have HUB bob with a helmet on as apposed to a mask in C2.

You're awfully quick to jump on my case there, friend. Perhaps I need to post an image of my Halo collection in order for you to not wildly mislabel me a hater because I'm curious about the resolution? Reach was claimed to be 720p at some point and it ended up being 1156x720. It's not wrong to wonder.

I think some of you are little fast in lining people up, not everyone who isn't slobbering all over the game is a hater, trust me.

native 720p is not the same as '720p'. also we have all the evidence we need to support 1280 x 720 with the HD video baking up the dev claims.

Izayoi

Banned
native 720p is not the same as '720p'. also we have all the evidence we need to support 1280 x 720 with the HD video.
I don't understand why he would answer with "native 720p" instead of "1280x720" if that really were the case, but hopefully you're right. It does look good, but there's a lot of aliasing and shimmering which can be signs of low resolution. I don't know why you guys are getting so upset about this, it's clearly not that big of a deal, and I'm just curious.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OH MY GOD SWEET JESUS. I hope the 60 FPS thing is a hint at it actually being 60 FPS.

There is so much information here. OP needs a serious update to include all the articles posted thus far.

I'm hype and I haven't even seen the videso yet... D:

As far as perks go, I somewhat valued the precedent in Halo where everyone was on an even playing field and had to duke it out using that same toolset. Reach deviated from that a bit. They seem to reassure that that experience is still there but it worries me the direction they're taking with the franchise. However, they do indeed hint at it being a non traditional kind of form of perks so I will reserve judgment until we know what we're getting exactly.

But what if you looked at an image of this new BR without knowing where it's from. Would you assume it's from Halo at first glance?

Well, honestly the area around the ammo counter gives me that Halo vibe, so yea. In any case, you could say that about a lot of games/sequels. It looks a little different, but why shouldn't it? 343 is building a semi-new universe here with where they want to go. Let them have the creative freedom to do that. It's not always the best course to stay stuck in the past.

alphaNoid

Banned
The one thing I take away from this vidoc is really how much developers are pushing 7 year old hardware. This generation will be remembered for many things and longevity will be one of them.

I don't understand why he would answer with "native 720p" instead of "1280x720" if that really were the case, but hopefully you're right. It does look good, but there's a lot of aliasing and shimmering which can be signs of low resolution. I don't know why you guys are getting so upset about this, it's clearly not that big of a deal, and I'm just curious.

you are suggesting doubt based on nothing and acting like it isn't a big deal. you are suggesting a dev is lying to us, when the evidence all suggests he is telling the truth.

native 720p means the same thing as 1280 x 720. they are synonymous.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
OH MY GOD SWEET JESUS. I hope the 60 FPS thing is a hint at it actually being 60 FPS.

There is so much information here. OP needs a serious update to include all the articles posted thus far.

I'm hype and I haven't even seen the videso yet... D:

As far as perks go, I somewhat valued the precedent in Halo where everyone was on an even playing field and had to duke it out using that same toolset. Reach deviated from that a bit. They seem to reassure that that experience is still there but it worries me the direction they're taking with the franchise. However, they do indeed hint at it being a non traditional kind of form of perks so I will reserve judgment until we know what we're getting exactly.

Confirmed for 30 in Community

wwm0nkey

Ok so

-Native 720p
-AA will be implemented in the final build
-No ghosting

Announce the Legendary Edition so I can preorder it right now!

Top Bottom