• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

Looks great, there's one nitpick that bothers me though, it's Chief in the Warthog, his head looks like it's is barely above the steering wheel.

TUROK

Halo Anniversary had some sort of AA, so it would make sense that this one would too.

Really benefited the game too, the IQ was better than Reach's yet it ran at a lower res.

Feindflug

You're awfully quick to jump on my case there, friend. Perhaps I need to post an image of my Halo collection in order for you to not wildly mislabel me a hater because I'm curious about the resolution? Reach was claimed to be 720p at some point and it ended up being 1156x720. It's not wrong to wonder.

I think some of you are little fast in lining people up, not everyone who isn't slobbering all over the game is a hater, trust me.

I don't remember anyone from Bungie saying that Reach will be native 720p which is 1280*720 btw...do you have a link?

Also I don't see why are you so negative about all of this? do you have pixel counting magical eyes that are in some way confirming that the game is sub-HD? do you have any proof backing this up? of course not, so right now is Frankie confirming native 720p res against your prediction that the game will be sub-HD...guess who sounds more reliable.

pringles

Eh, was hoping to see more of the single-player and where the story will go, enemies, locations etc.

More Red and Blue Spartans killing eachother on a gray map isn't really the best way to show off a new and supposedly 'fresh' Halo game. Although it looks good.

Well, honestly the area around the ammo counter gives me that Halo vibe, so yea. In any case, you could say that about a lot of games/sequels. It looks a little different, but why shouldn't it? 343 is building a semi-new universe here with where they want to go. Let them have the creative freedom to do that. It's not always the best course to stay stuck in the past.

Valid points.

Honestly, everything else screams "Halo" to me, so this a very, very minor issue. Just thought I'd stir up a discussion. ;)

rvy

Banned
tumblr_lzvwv8VhW11r3zat8.gif

Eh, was hoping to see more of the single-player and where the story will go, enemies, locations etc.

They usually talk about multiplayer long before single player. They didn't start talking about Halo 3's single player until a few months before release if I recall correctly. We didn't even see an actual campaign picture until like 2 months before it shipped.

.la1n

From what very little is seen in the video it looks good, I can't wait to see some real hands on gameplay - hopefully at E3.

Izayoi

Banned
I don't remember anyone from Bungie saying that Reach will be native 720p which is 1280*720 btw...do you have a link?

Also I don't see why are you so negative about all of this? do you have pixel counting magical eyes that are in some way confirming that the game is sub-HD? do you have any proof backing this up? of course not, so right now is Frankie confirming native 720p res against your prediction that the game will be sub-HD...guess who sounds more reliable.
How do you interpret me being curious about the resolution as negativity? I don't really understand your thought process. The game looks great, I'm just curious and would like to know for sure. Never once did I state for sure that the game was sub-1280x720, I just speculated that based on previous titles I thought it might be. I don't have a link, but I vaguely recall some people from Beyond3D making a stink about it way back when. Chill out, man.

VaLiancY

I really do like the aesthetics of the armor of Chief and the S4s. It gives me some an anime exo skelton vibe for some odd reason but I like it none the less. I'm also very happy with the emphasis on sound. After Bad Company and Battlefield 3, I'd enjoy it if developers flexed their audio fidelity muscle as much as they pimp their visuals.

Looking good. Loving the logo animation at the end. Reminds me of in the Greg Bear books where the Halo's are repairing themselves. That'd be pretty rad to see in game.

LordAlu

Ahh, excellent. Looks like medals are back for multiplayer. Many a night was spent playing just to try and get an elusive medal. Although the two medals shown have a number with them too, I wonder if that's just the number of medals they've earned that match or if you earn more than one for certain things... Hmmm...

DarkChild

Banned
How do you interpret me being curious about the resolution as negativity? I don't really understand your thought process. The game looks great, I'm just curious and would like to know for sure. Never once did I state for sure that the game was sub-1280x720, I just speculated that based on previous titles I thought it might be. I don't have a link, but I vaguely recall some people from Beyond3D making a stink about it way back when. Chill out, man.
Game in HQ footage does look like 1280x720p no AA, and Al at B3D agrees with that so its pretty much that.

pringles

They usually talk about multiplayer long before single player. They didn't start talking about Halo 3's single player until a few months before release if I recall correctly. We didn't even see an actual campaign picture until like 2 months before it shipped.
Yeah I know this has been Bungie's way of doing things but I guess I was hoping 343 wouldn't follow the same pattern. This is supposed to be a new direction for Halo, by a new studio, but what they've shown so far doesn't make the jump from Reach much bigger than between that and Halo 3.

E3 isn't that far away and if they only show multiplayer there it will be a big mistake imo.

Lingitiz

Man everything about this just looks fantastic. The graphics are a huge step up from Reach, and definitely a much better and natural evolution from Halo 3 then what Reach looked like. Glad to see the BR back as well.

Sad to hear there won't be a beta, especially since 343 is unproven at this point.

And also, am I the only one who thinks the design reminds me of The Package in Legends? For better or worse, atleast it's not very anime in movement and gameplay-design.

Yes, and that's my main gripe with it. Basically with all of Halo 4, though. It looks... Anime.

Everdred

Man everything about this just looks fantastic. The graphics are a huge step up from Reach, and definitely a much better and natural evolution from Halo 3 then what Reach looked like. Glad to see the BR back as well.

Sad to hear there won't be a beta, especially since 343 is unproven at this point.
Agreed, they better get it right. Hopefully a lot of the network stuff transferred nicely from Reach and will only need minor tweaking.

I can already tell they've planned their reveal well...too well. No player is shown without a br in any of the gameplay; they're gonna give it to us nice and easy.

Has somebody taken a snippet to exhibit the crazy looking armor in multiplayer (cough, cough, dennis, cough) ? I love it.

DarkChild

Banned
I have to say, even though in bits of what supposedly is SP campaign there is DOF, rocks look soooo much "rockier". More natural and real, Bungie Halos had some kind of fake look to them. I don't know if thats because lighting, textures or what, but this looks much nicer.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Crossposting some Halo Community discussion about the "Perks", basically consensus is Eurogamer was trying to generate controversy for clicks because if you read the article:

Halo 4's newly unveiled multiplayer perks - which, for the first time in a Halo game will have an impact on the gameplay - aren't a result of 343 Industries chasing Call of Duty and Battlefield, the studio has said.

As part of a slim first look at Halo 4, 343 Industries' first game proper since Bungie departed the series, it's been revealed that you can change every aspect of your Spartan's appearance - and that doing so would influence the way that the game plays.

"I've never worked for Infinity Ward, or Respawn - for years I bet they were asked similar questions about how it's like the multiplayer system in Halo 2 or something like that," franchise director Frank O'Connor told Eurogamer when asked about the new system's similarity to Call of Duty. "We're not chasing anybody else's tail - all the pressure comes from inside."

"What we do take very seriously is changing player habits. So rather than chasing Call of Duty or Battlefield and trying to do their thing and doing it poorly and doing injustice to it, we're trying to do our own thing, and do something fairly original but still something that's completely compatible with the Halo universe."

"Halo's not Call of Duty," O'Connor continued, "Halo's a sandbox game about really emergent things. A lot of things that worked great about Call of Duty - and don't get me wrong, I was addicted Black Ops all of last year - they do player rewards really well. We're not trying to do the same thing, it's as simple as that. We're trying to do something else, and to push our game forwards and not theirs."

Both O'Connor and creative director Josh Holmes acknowledged that the change could prove controversial amongst Halo's community. "I expect a variety of different reactions," Holmes told Eurogamer, "One of the great things about Halo is we have the ability to support a variety of different play styles and play lists, create experiences that cater to different player types and community desires."

"We've a tremendous amount of respect for Bungie and for the universe that they created, and yet we do want to take our own unique view on Halo and on where we want to take the franchise is in the future. It's about finding the balance so it's still Halo yet still feels fresh."
Frank O'Connor also warned that what's been shown of Halo 4 to date - which, at Microsoft's Spring Showcase, amounted to a run-through of two multiplayer maps alongside a handful of snippets of the game in action - is the more conventional face of 343's take on the franchise.

"What we showed today is in some ways really traditional," O'Connor told Eurogamer. "Some of the more revolutionary stuff that we're going to be doing is going to create more fuss, and I think it's going to be mostly positive fuss, as it's all been carefully thought out and considered."

Crossposting some Halo Community discussion about the "Perks", basically consensus is Eurogamer was trying to generate controversy for clicks because if you read the article:

it still doesn't confirm a balanced playing field though, which i think is part of the worry. perks are not confirmed by this, that's certainly the case, but it doesn't confirm that they haven't adding something that would cause similar upset amongst those of us that don't like perks.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Did I just see a part where you have to mash a button to open a door? Come on.
Don't be like that, 343.

Otherwise, looks decent, but I don't like the severe amount of aliasing going on.

Looks like Eurogamer was trying pretty hard to bait him. Doesn't confirm perks which is good, as far as I'm concerned.

it still doesn't confirm a balanced playing field though, which i think is part of the worry. perks are not confirmed by this, that's certainly the case, but it doesn't confirm that they haven't adding something that would cause similar upset amongst those of us that don't like perks.

A balanced playing field could be achieved. Think a duel in diablo and the amount of customization behind that and translate it to a multiplayer fps. Strip it down to its core and hope it still retains that halo feel, and for me, I hope thats what 343i is goin toward.

So you've seen the whole game? How did it end!? I'm dying to know!!!!

/sarc /you'rejumpingtoconclusions

The Chief kills Darth Vader while riding a Moa.

All of Halo 4 I've seen. The latter part was implied. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if I end up having jumped to conclusions. Right now, though, that's the feeling I get.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Who's to say?

I do think they took the scrutiny that Bungie received about the Armor Abilities in Reach under huge consideration, another thing to consider is that it all Spartans can sprint and have thrusters so I do think individual player strength has been boosted considerably.

AlStrong

Can you (or Corrine or other?) tell us how the buffers are setup? :p Just curious as to which form of deferred lighting is being used.

Did I just see a part where you have to mash a button to open a door? Come on.
Don't be like that, 343.

Better with Kinect!

Otherwise, looks decent, but I don't like the severe amount of aliasing going on.

The shader aliasing worries me the most (specular highlights and the sort). That's not really fixable with FXAA. Well... maybe just a bit.

Untracked

Dying to see some footage, but I'm stuck at work for another hour, with shite Internet.
Managed to get half a gif to load on my crappy phone, looks great on a tiny screen lol.

Need more!

Top Bottom