• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV rumour: Next Xbox will not have a disc drive, 2013 release

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If a mod's around, a better title might be: MCV rumour: Next Xbox will not have a disc drive, 'card storage' mooted, 2013 release

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclusive-no-disc-drive-for-next-xbox/092534

MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Let's see if any others can corroborate...huge news if true. edit - at least, if it implies a digital only approach. If it will use a card format for physical distribution it's less of a biggie.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Chance for Sony to reassert their control by siding with the gamer then. Next gen game sizes are going to far outscale today's broadband I feel. 50gb downloads+ when some services are capped? How will this even work?

Didn't this rumor go around about the PS4 as well. I would be fine with it, but I'm sure most won't. I don't think it would do too hot at retail either. Hell, why would any retailer even use up the shelf space to carry a product they would see little returns off of?

jonno394

Hmmm, how much storgae does a blu-ray this gen offer? how much storage will a next gen game require?

If they are offering a game card like the Vita wouldn't this mean teh need SD/Proprietary Cards of over 32GB for every game......

Hyuga

Banned
Instant failure if true.

A home console without physical media (DD only) -> I will never buy it!
Handheld? Ok! (imo)
Home console -> never ever!

(btw. there are a lot of states and cities without broadband internet / high speed internet! So lol if true)

I know that Sony has mentioned as well that the future is all about digital downloads and what not, but I really prefer physical copies. There's just something about having a physical collection that digital downloads can never capture. No matter how much more space-efficient they might be.

This seems extremely unlikely to me. I don't think it's a huge selling point like it used to be, but it wouldn't be able to play any disc-based movies, let alone Blu-Ray Movies.

Log4Girlz

Didn't this rumor go around about the PS4 as well. I would be fine with it, but I'm sure most won't. I don't think it would do too hot at retail either. Hell, why would any retailer even use up the shelf space to carry a product they would see little returns off of?

Could have sworn this rumor has been discussed before for Durango.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MCV seems to be spinning it as a blow to retail, at least some move away from physical distribution.

But the card storage bit? Maybe the games will go to retail on those? The article sort of doesn't elaborate there, so I wonder if the implication about digital-only is jumping the gun a bit.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Read the OP where it talks about SD cards

Thought that was for additional storage, not what games come on? 64gb SD cards are kind of fucking expensive still, and the only comparison to a blu-ray in size?

Cipherr

Was it the next Xbox that was also rumored to not allow used/borrowed games?

Thats what nearly convinces me here. This no disc drive rumor would really gel well with the whole "no borrowed/used games" rumors.

Read the OP where it talks about SD cards

SD cards are pretty cheap no doubt. And itll be even more cheap if they used them as a format since they would have bulk purchases, but SD media is still not as cheap as discs are AFAIK. Game costs would be higher than they needed to be. If this isnt 1 SKU of many, it would be a mistake IMO. SD slot or no sd slot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If I could ask a mod to change the title to:

MCV rumour: Next Xbox will not have a disc drive, 'card storage' mooted, 2013 release

Thanks...

Danielsan

Unless they're going to take the proprietary memory card approach I don't see this happening. You still need physical media. Give it another 5 years before going fully DD becomes a viable option.

Rikyfree

Welp, no xbox for me then. I don't have the DL speeds to make this viable over going down tto the local shop and buying it there

Sethos

Banned
I will put my life on the line and say there will be an optical drive in the next Xbox. Thinking there won't be is just stupid, the market isn't prepared for digital only, neither is the infrastructure around the world.

However, a cheap model without one among other cutbacks might be plausible

mocoworm

This was my reply to MCV's tweet:

@BenParfitt whatever ! are you sure you check your sources ? NG games will be too big for SD cards and too big for dload caps. #ridiculous

... and I stand by it. There is NO way they will go digital only.

TheOddOne

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe this is like an Arcade edition primarily for their downloadable selection.
This would make a ton of sense. We're still getting different type of rumours, because till now Bluray had been confirmed to be in there.

mr_toa

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

I'm thinking game cards based on the above details. Launching in 2013 DD-only would be instant death for the platform.

Top Bottom