• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hitman: Absolution trailer "She must be special"

UrbanRats

Well in any case it's better to develop an hard and deep game, and offer several optional aids for newbies, than having a linear and dumbed down one, with several artificial "impediments" for the hardcore players.

Let's just hope they've gone with the first one instead of the second one, although i don't think this is the case, given how they've presented it.

soultron

Banned
It'd be nice to know the real release date of the game, rather than a simple "2012." It's tough to say whether or not they actually have enough work done on the game to show us some of the stuff we've been asking for.

soultron

Banned
It's gonna be like Leon.

I'd be down.

600full-leon%3A-the-professional-screenshot.jpg

Definitely one of my favourite movies. The kickass opening scenes.

There was a developer walkthrough at PAX, and someone's done a write up on it. They showed two playthroughs, one all stealth and one all action (now release it on video!)

http://www.ztgd.com/previews/22744/hitman-absolution-caters-to-the-assassin-in-you-preview/

I had the opportunity to see a developer walkthrough of Hitman: Absolution here at PAX East, and the game is shaping up to be the most flexible and accessible entry in the series.

The level we saw takes Agent 47 through an orphanage in pursuit of a young girl of unknown importance. Unfortunately, a thug and his cronies are already on site, shooting up the place. You’ll have a choice to make: do this bloody or keep it quiet.

We saw both.

First, the developers took us through using a more professional approach. 47 moved from cover to cover smoothly, covering his tracks and pacifying enemies with nonlethal attacks. From there, it’s a matter of dumping them into freezers, laundry shoots and even ball pits to keep them out of sight.

Popups will let you know if an enemy becomes suspicious and, even more importantly, when they settle back down. You can pick up items for distraction, like rattles or toy robots, or simply grab a syringe and put a foe down for a nice, long rest. Of course, what fun is silence?

The second time through, we were given the opportunity to see necks broken, axes buried in heads from up close and at a distance and more use of the Instinct feature. With this, you can sense where enemies are located and, in combat, use “point shooting” to mark and execute enemies, detonate explosives and more. It’s a limited resource that can be recharged by progressing through the levels.

The impact of the explosions was impressive. Fire realistically sets the environment aflame. The slow motion results of the marked executions was impressive, especially when it came to the slow motion blowback of enemies caught in the blast.

The enemy AI seems brilliant, with enemies adapting to your actions and smartly reacting to the presence (or absence) of their comrades. Sometimes, being more violent will reward you with additional information from a foe. Apparently, torture works just fine.

For those new to the series, you’ll experience a self-encapsulated story. You won’t be missing anything by coming aboard at this point. For those that have been following Agent 47′s assignments for years, though, you’ll find small nods to previous adventures. Legacy players will also benefit from the emotional weight of some of the narrative moments.

We were teased with one final bit of information. When next we see Hitman: Absolution (probably at E3), we’ll get a look at the more open levels that will encourage more experimentation.

Hitman: Absolution will be very quietly stalking you until it releases on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC later this year.

They have been doing that two-way play-through forever - since the start of 2012 at least. These must have no more game to show - this will obviously get cancelled like Prey 2.

derFeef

We were teased with one final bit of information. When next we see Hitman: Absolution (probably at E3), we’ll get a look at the more open levels that will encourage more experimentation.
I am ready.

MMaRsu

Banned
Why will no damn member of the press ask this????

Are there any sandbox missions in the game???
Missions like in ALL previous Hitman games where you have to assassinate somebody and nobody knows that you are coming???

Oh they said wait till E3

Why will no damn member of the press ask this????

Are there any sandbox missions in the game???
Missions like in ALL previous Hitman games where you have to assassinate somebody and nobody knows that you are coming???

They've said there are "sandbox" missions, but haven't gone into much more detail than that.

soultron

Banned
It's much easier to get a more controlled environment that has, say, lots of scripting in a state suitable for press events than it is a sandbox one, I'd guess.

I'm excited for this. The Hitman series has long been a favorite series of mine, and I find myself trusting IO Interactive.

Let's just hope that they don't break that trust.

BibiMaghoo

I need this game like yesterday. Having to play old HD games like splinter cell for my stealth needs it getting tiresome.

Arnie

There's good and bad in that video, although I expect the majority of the following responses to focus on the bad.

I'm ecstatic that they've made 47 now feel like the world's greatest assassin in both animation and control. I should be able to just walk behind a guy and crack his neck, or stick a knife in him. And it now looks as brutal as it should, or perhaps lacked in previous games.

Don't like the explosive barrels, or the Splinter Cell: Conviction style spot and mark system. The footage of 47 just opening fire and engaging in firefights makes me sad, even if there are plenty of alternatives.

BRWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWM!

BRWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWM!

Inception horns, lol.

Game is looking good. I'm guessing they showed different ways to go about your targets. Pure stealth for me.

Powers Boothe doing mo-cap for this? Man I love that guy. Saw him in Southern Comfort when I was 14 and a lot more films since then; he's a badass.

Sojgat

That trailer does not fill me with confidence about the game. I love all the new animations and the fact that the weapons look like they have some real kick now, but the focus looks to be much more about clearing areas out, like in SC:Conviction.

MMaRsu

Banned
That trailer does not fill me with confidence about the game. I love all the new animations and the fact that the weapons look like they have some real kick now, but the focus looks to be much more about clearing areas out, like in SC:Conviction.

Yup..

This game WILL be fun, but it wont be Hitman I know

"No you guys, this is still Hitman, we will show that later."

*release a Splinter Cell Conviction trailer*

"The game will feature open-ended sandbox areas like in the previous Hitman games."

"Fans of the previous game will not be disappointed."

COME ON

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not even convinced it will be fun. I've played too many generic shooters and action games this gen to care anymore.

Well that's certainly true but if you go the hardcore route, never use instinct etc and only use disguises ( OR NOT ) and then take out your target ( will you even have one? LOL ) without killing anyone else, then it could be okay.

It sure as fuck doesnt look like Hitman. Goddamn cover system, still retarded AI ( he doesnt see you when you are in a vent with a lighter? )

Double D

Do we know the release date yet? For some reason I thought it was sometime in May, but that's obviously not happening at this point.

Well that's certainly true but if you go the hardcore route, never use instinct etc and only use disguises ( OR NOT ) and then take out your target ( will you even have one? LOL ) without killing anyone else, then it could be okay.

It sure as fuck doesnt look like Hitman. Goddamn cover system, still retarded AI ( he doesnt see you when you are in a vent with a lighter? )

There are some glimmers of hope, I noticed these vids in the related bar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7slZFX2j4&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7NcHrczRIE&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Q_ckLj898&feature=relmfu

Not sold, but I'm not as negative/down on it as I was before. That might be more to do with the fact that I've given up hope and accepted this for what it is...a somewhat good action game that just so happens to feature 47.

:(

elcapitan

I liked Conviction, but this looks to be better at giving the players freedom. As long as they still have those levels where you can blend into a meticulously crafted scenario, I don't care if I could take cover or blow up explosive barrels.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
new trailer was ok. Watching it my reaction was

yeh! hitman... oh, it's call of dut-- no wait, hitman again... nope, call of duty... now hitman, now cod, now conviction, now hitman

I wish they'd just show more of the social stealth (disguises, crowds etc). None of this hiding on corners bollocks.

Top Bottom