• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hitman: Absolution trailer "She must be special"

Jb

I wonder if people realize how comparatively simplified blood money was in comparison to contracts and silent assassin. I've seen the game in person, and, as others have said, the advertising for Hitman has always emphasized the shooting element far more than the stealth element, because it's impossible to sell stealth and methodical play in 90 seconds. I have no reason to think it won't feel like a Hitman game when all is said and done.

What? Gameplay-wise Blood Money had more depth that SA/Contracts (accidents, customization, notoriety,...). Not sure what you're talking about.

All they would need to do to get fans back on board would be to release a walkthrough or a trailer of a level showcasing the social stealth the series is known for and the variety of options to tackle an objective.
The fact that they've been marketing this game for months and haven't done so is the worrying part. And you can't expect fans to just blindly trust whatever the devs say in interviews, especially 2012 IO.

An to be clear, I want this game to be great so much, but I also don't want to have my hopes crushed when it hits shelves.

paskowitz

Wow a youtube comment that is not trash:

That's not Agent 47. Agent 47 doesn't murder every guard he sees like it's a slasher movie. 47 doesn't get into gunfights. 47 sneaks in, murders his target, and sneaks out.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol @ people telling others off as irrational for criticising what they're actually seeing while at the same time thinking it's very rational to just have faith in the game being so awesome all of GAF will be gushing all over it once we see more of it. Not that it can't happen, but that doesn't change the fact what we're seeing now isn't great, and thus is open to said criticism, and there's no evidence of that being certain, especially if you take this approach in that you can't trust what you see in any of the existing PR. If you think the game is promising, good for you, but you're not presenting some better, more objective or less prejudiced opinion by telling those who currently believe otherwise they're oh so wrong, regardless of the final result. People post their opinion, that is all.

At least with Max Payne 3, they released videos that won over the haters. Here, we've only got IO's word to go on, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Not hearing Agent 47 speak is unsettling. Did they get rid of David Bateson?

Yeah: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433661

Speedymanic said:
Came across this on the Hitman forum...

Hi there Mathew,

Thanks to you I now know more! I didn't even know the E3 thing had voice work on it at all.

Yeah, I won't lie. I am totally gutted. You know, IO called me in in Sept 09 and said I had to now audition for the part thanks to them hiring some LA casting director. Well, I ate my slice of humble pie and auditioned and then heard back shortly afterwards: congratulations - you got the part. I have been waiting ever since for the call to go in and record...

You know, I can even understand IOI not letting me know what's going on so as to avoid any loss of shine in the build up to the trailer premiere and then E3.

But now, after repeated mails and sms to the producer and still no reply I am lost for words.

Thanks for your support though.

Kind regards

David

Jesus, what a horrible way to treat someone. :/

DarkChild

Banned
People remember that Epic UE3 tech where Sweeney showed meat cube that was later used as giant worm in Gears 2? Yea, faces remind me of that...

Kikujiro

Reads like a GAF comment. Hitman advertising has always featured heavy gunplay and wanton slaughter.

Stop being shock and appalled.

It's more easier and faster to type "garbage", people don't use their heads when they're blinded by hate.

This is what they call rational criticism.

squidyj

That conversation should have gone the other way.

blood4.jpg

At least with Max Payne 3, they released videos that won over the haters. Here, we've only got IO's word to go on, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

I agree. IO needs to showcase more of the game, the stealth, the planning, all of that. Their PR and marketing departments are a disaster. Hey IO, you see what Rockstar is doing? DO THAT.

soultron

Banned
I'm excited for the game until I see or play something really damning. A YouTube trailer aimed at the widest audience possible isn't going to put a damper on things for me. Aside from the bit in the diner and 47 walking around in the priest garb, there wasn't even much new to this trailer.

I agree. IO needs to showcase more of the game, the stealth, the planning, all of that. Their PR and marketing departments are a disaster. Hey IO, you see what Rockstar is doing? DO THAT.

I think so too. I adore R*s marketing and PR stuff... they get it. They know that the hardcore audience is the one most likely to consume stuff like trailers, developer diaries, and the like. Balls-to-the-wall action-focused trailers can be saved for TV spots/sporting events, etc. Have both if you're trying to capture the hardcore and the outsider audience.

Derrick01

Banned
It's more easier and faster to type "garbage", people don't use their heads when they're blinded by hate.

This is what they call rational criticism.

Some of us have gotten tired of repeating in detail why it looks shitty because every trailer and preview and video they've released has been terrible and has not been Hitman. So "garbage" works well enough until something changes.

ArjanN

I don't like any of the action heavy trailers, blood money included. But I never got into a big firefight in blood money. The trailers make it look like you have to blast people away, which in the end was just not tue.

So you never beat Blood Money. You know, considering the last level
at Hitman's fake-death funeral
is a big shootout. :p

Wow a youtube comment that is not trash:

Every Hitman game has a level that's bascially a giant shootout.

aegies

So they let go David Bateson AND Jesper Kyd? Are you freaking kidding me? Wow..... I am really at a loss for words here. From Hitman Codename 47 to Blood Money and now this?

I am depress :(

I don't think they "let go" of Jesper Kyd. Assassin's Creed is a much bigger project. Be happy for him.

soultron

Banned
So you never beat Blood Money. You know, considering the last level
at Hitman's fake-death funeral
is a big shootout. :p

Maybe he meant when the game didn't force it upon him. It's like my classic defense for Conviction in which I say I only used Mark & Execute (in few instances) when the game forced it on me or made it next to impossible to advance without it.

Some of us have gotten tired of repeating in detail why it looks shitty because every trailer and preview and video they've released has been terrible and has not been Hitman. So "garbage" works well enough until something changes.

Why not pull up an old quote of yours from an earlier thread when you described, in detail, why you don't like the direction of the game? It adds a lot more to discussion than a simple, dismissive "garbage." (I'd make a terrible mod because I'd hit people with temps for stuff like that. It literally adds nothing. We're not the YouTube comments section.)

MMaRsu

Banned
The game looks like shit, and so does the model for the new 47. I guess Bateson wouldnt let them have his likeness after they stuffed him for the VA.

I don't think they "let go" of Jesper Kyd. Assassin's Creed is a much bigger project. Be happy for him.

Yeah, I think Kyd is simply unavailable for Hitman due to AC3. It's Bateson's dismissal that's weird.

I think 47's character model looks fine. He looks similar to how he's always looked :/

soultron

Banned
Yeah, I think Kyd is simply unavailable for Hitman due to AC3. It's Bateson's dismissal that's weird.

I think 47's character model looks fine. He looks similar to how he's always looked :/

It's unfortunate that he's (probably) being threatened with legal action for commenting further. I hope we eventually find out what happened, especially since he was told he had the job after auditioning.

mollipen

Why are people getting so freaked out about the amount of kills in the trailer? If you don't want to play that way in the game, don't.

RedSwirl

God that was terrible. How many people did he shoot in that?

More than I shot in the entirety of Blood Money.

Why are people getting so freaked out about the amount of kills in the trailer? If you don't want to play that way in the game, don't.

We're hoping that we'll even have that choice. We were hoping we'd have that choice in Splinter Cell Conviction and we didn't.

BHK3

Banned
So...Dianas dead, the VA is gone and so is jesper...and so far we have not seen a bit of stealth gameplay...

I'm not gonna call it garbage, but this is very very worrying. Conviction forced us to go non stealth many times, but somethings telling me it's gonna be worse here. You're gonna start every level with a non silenced gun and there will be highlighted melee weapons around the level.

That is assuming we're going to be given that option in the first place. I'm sure we'll be able to Silent Assassin every level, but the way the game is going to let us do that is another story entirely.

Lain

I liked the trailer. I liked the other one more though. These trailers are making me interested in this game.

The diversity of opinion in this thread is astounding.

And the trailer was fine as far as trailers go.

Don't trust this project at all, but reserving hope.

I don't like any of the action heavy trailers, blood money included. But I never got into a big firefight in blood money. The trailers make it look like you have to blast people away, which in the end was just not tue.

You just negated your argument. The trailers have always been like that. You haven't played this game, so don't act like you know what it will or will not let you do.

I'm looking forward to this because it's Hitman; if it sucks, well at least there was one last attempt at the franchise.

Helscream

Banned

True at least Jesper Kyd still gets to express his creativity. It is not so much that I feel bad for Jesper Kyd himself, but I felt like he really created the perfect tone/atmosphere with his music in the Hitman games.

With that being said, still bewildered that Bateson is not the man playing Agent 47. I mean hell even if you go back to the original. David Bateson literally is the voice and look of Agent 47. That dudes voice was so cold, blunt, to the point and indifferent. I really felt like Bateson totally emulated the idea of Agent 47 in his purest form so to speak. I won't jump ahead of myself and say "bah this game is shit etc etc". But for me at least with the absence of Bateson, Kyd as well as Diana basically getting assassinated really has me turned off. If I do play it, I doubt it will feel like a "Hitman game" at all.

soultron

Banned
Here's another thing to ponder: why does a Bad Guy With Glasses take a bunch of heavily armed thugs with him? It's almost as if he knows 47 will be there. Maybe 47 is acting out of character because this girl is important to him. Maybe it's his daughter? (She is in an orphanage.)

The story takes place outside of old Hitman cannon, but is not a reboot. The lead producer says this in a recent interview with Siliconera:

Hakan Abrak said:
“... we are exploring different aspects of Agent 47. The story is darker, more personal. You get to experience Agent 47 being placed in an unusual situation. He’s not just taking on contracts; he’s being hunted and he’s hunting for personal reasons. If you’re a longtime series fan, you know that’s very unusual for the cold, calculating Agent 47.”

It would be very easy to write a daughter into 47's story. Even crazier, maybe it was his and Diana's child. Which would make things very interesting since you're tasked with killing Diana at the very beginning of Absolution, apparently.

Lancehead

I kinda trust IO to keep the Silent Assassin run on Pro just as great as it's always been. To normal mode, though, they can do whatever the hell they want to do.

They've changed Diana's voice actor too, haven't they?

soultron

Banned
I kinda trust IO to keep the Silent Assassin run on Pro just as great as it's always been. To normal mode, though, they can do whatever the hell they want to do.

They've changed Diana's voice actor too, haven't they?

Correct.

The music is now being handled by two composers, none of which are Jesper Kyd.

Here's another thing to ponder: why does a Bad Guy With Glasses take a bunch of heavily armed thugs with him? It's almost as if he knows 47 will be there. Maybe 47 is acting out of character because this girl is important to him. Maybe it's his daughter? (She is in an orphanage.)

The story takes place outside of old Hitman cannon, but is not a reboot. The lead producer says this in a recent interview with Siliconera:

It would be very easy to write a daughter into 47's story. Even crazier, maybe it was his and Diana's child. Which would make things very interesting since you're tasked with killing Diana at the very beginning of Absolution, apparently.

Whoaaaaaaa

That'd be... intriguing, to say the least.

Top Bottom