• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Specs "leaked" by fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26662-orbis-specs-get-detailed
"Sources are now spilling the beans on exactly what we can expect from Orbis, or the PlayStation 4, when it is arrives. For the most part it is about what we already knew, with no real surprises; and it looks to be a very smart decision for AMD.

If the tech specs are correct, the latest info has the PS4 showing the unit being built from what amounts to off-the-self parts. The unit will use the AMD A8-3850 APU and Radeon 7670 GPU. The AP-3850 APU is said to clock in at 2.9GHz and it will be a quad core chip, while the HD 7670 which will offer 1GB of RAM and while we have heard rumors of a projected clock speed, we would wait till we are closer to release before we predict what this will actually be.

As we told you previously, this selection does take back from the PC side, but there still a lot more questions than answers. Our contacts in the development community seem divided on what the box can actually deliver in terms of performance. According to one developer, '…we really don’t know how well the unit can perform, but so far it has been on par with the current generation.'"

Not sure how accurate it is, but Fudzilla is a pretty reliable source of information. Also does shine a lot of light on why a console would go with an AMD CPU.

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469574 Sony doesn't look like it's doing too good as far as financials go either, which could lead to a weaker box to maximize profits.

Persona7

Banned
Hmm, Quad core.

I think it needs more thrust.

X07KG.png

Pranay

fudzilla is horrible

Even they took 680 GTX source [which i felt were fake] from my site and i was more shocked to see that lol

This sounds like the IGN rumors

it is the ign rumour.

raven777

All the rumors for PS4 seems to have lower spec than expected. I hope the real product has better specs than the rumors

thuway

Count me out of PS4 if those are the specs. Sounds like an underpowered waste of time. Sony and MS need to grow some balls and get Tahiti performance with 4 GB of RAM and launch in 2014. Unless they want to completely disappoint gamers. It's cool to save money, but launch when the time is right with RIGHT specs.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
This is just an early dev system. Something developers use to approximate what the final system will have which I hope will be much more powerful.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Count me out of PS4 if those are the specs. Sounds like an underpowered waste of time. Sony and MS need to grow some Balls and get Tahiti performance with 4 gb of RAM and launch in 2014. Unless they want to completely disappoint gamers.
Is that all that matters to you?

glaurung

I'd take those supposed specifications with a huge grain of salt. Something like the horses lick in stables.

It is of course fun to follow this hardware race, but I think the real battle will be fought in the middleware and porting scene. Who has the best software to get the games to run quickly and efficiently, without pushing the developers through the eye of a needle etc. The one who wins that bit will emerge victorious overall.

This was a complicated way to say: the leaked specifications appear kind of weak.

If the trend of having the least powerful console selling the most continues into next-gen..........Sony may have this in the bag.

thuway

Is that all that matters to you?

The only thing? No. However, it is the most OBVIOUS thing. A powerful system after SEVEN years is nothing to shy away from. The jump from PS3 to PS4 is looking to be anemic at best. They need to wait another year at the very least. This shit is just disappointing.

keuja

Why 1GB only, I don't get it... They must know that developers would prefer having 2GB or 4GB for the next gen so why limit yourself right from the start.

What would be the additional cost of adding 1 more Gb?

Dennis

Banned
'…we really don’t know how well the unit can perform, but so far it has been on par with the current generation.'"
what is this even supposed to mean?

Current gen of PC hardware?

Because it can't be what I am thinking.......

lenovox1

Common Kaz, don't let us down :( Playstation was never meant to be a PC.

It's what I would have expected after they used high-end mobile parts for the Playstation Vita.

The only thing? No. However, it is the most OBVIOUS thing. A powerful system after SEVEN years is nothing to shy away from. The jump from PS3 to PS4 is looking to be anemic at best. They need to wait another year at the very least. This shit is just disappointing.

Well, I guess they can wait another year and sell 20 million consoles after Microsoft and Nintendo have locked up the majority of the market. Or they can get something out that will have all the games and services that you'll love, regardless of specs.

thuway

If the trend of having the least powerful console selling the most continues into next-gen..........Sony may have this in the bag.

If Sony aims for these specs, expect MS to be in the same ballpark. This would be a stop-gap generation for everyone. The real winner will be Nintendo if these specs turn out to be true.

what is this even supposed to mean?

Current gen of PC hardware?

Because it can't be what I am thinking.......

Most likely that's what they mean. With specs like that, its definitely better than what PS3/360 can offer. Goddamn though, they could do a bit better.

Why 1GB only, I don't get it... They must know that developers would prefer having 2GB or 4GB for the next gen so why limit yourself right from the start.

A lot. Be careful though, this thread will explode if people talk about RAM.

thuway

This is either a clever troll or just plain stupid short sightedness.

DonMigs85

The PC card only has 8 ROPs and 64GB/sec of bandwidth, I think even a Geforce 8800 could eclipse it in many scenarios.

bobeth

The way I read it, it's 1Gb of ram for the GPU only, the same way the PS3 has 256mb of ram dedicated to its GPU..

Pretty low end specs if true.

I dont know though, seems like they may have just copied IGN's stuff, this time with a clockspeed or two thrown in. Not particularly convincing.

but so far it has been on par with the current generation

Complete nonsense, Sony would not bother (why make a new gen at all if performance is the same as current?), and the reported specs even if low by next gen standards, would still offer a huge bump over current gen.

I'm starting to think Fudzilla just makes shit up. It sounds like they just heard Wii U would be close to current gen on the interwebs, so they threw similar speculation in their made up PS4 article for more hits.

thuway

I've said this many times, but power restraints, heat issues, and the general lack of technology evolving should force both Sony and MS to launch in 2014. Releasing a Fall 2013 system with 1-2 gb of RAM, and with 6670 performance is a damn shame. Unless they plan on releasing at $299 with every gimmick in the world attached, this might be the stupidest decision Sony has yet to make. I have no reservations calling this is a PS3.5.

z0m3le

Banned
This is just an early dev system. Something developers use to approximate what the final system will have which I hope will be much more powerful.

It shouldn't end up too much more powerful, dev kits are meant to improve until release, that is true, but it should fit around that performance, maybe gaining 25%-50% performance increase and maybe a large memory increase, though the rumor doesn't really touch on how much memory, it just says that the GPU will have 1GB, system memory wasn't mentioned, I personally don't see PS4 and Xbox3 launching with anything less than 2GB ram. (that would be the minimum I could reasonably see)

M.D

If Sony aims for these specs, expect MS to be in the same ballpark. This would be a stop-gap generation for everyone. The real winner will be Nintendo if these specs turn out to be true.

Winner in what sense? That their competitors are not bringing out more powerful consoles? That doesn't mean anything for the sales of the Wii U

Nintendo better have a killer online system or some other selling point, because no "hardcore gamer" is going to buy COD on Wii U to play with friend codes, and I don't see any causal gamer going crazy for that Tablet controller like they did for the Wiimote

joshwaan

LOL another fucking rumor, nice job fudzilla copy and paste IGN lol

Anyways I like the part were it's on par with current gen lol I'm sure a Quad AMD 3850 and a HD 7650 is on par LMFAO :p

Unless they plan on releasing at $299 with every gimmick in the world attached, this might be the stupidest decision Sony has yet to make.

I don't mind this at all. I mean, at all. I will line up and buy this for $299! You're right, don't want to pay $599USD+ for this specs though. Hopefully it comes with a 3.5" HDD instead of 2.5" and hopefully it's not proprietary and you can use standard HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom