• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Specs "leaked" by fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Can I get some benchmarks for the 7670? I googled it but didn't see anything.

It can't be that underpowered...

Dennis

Banned
It won't be long before the arrival of a fully blown "consoles am doomed" meme.

This is the age of the rise of PC and the end of the era of the console.

I guess they are just gonna duct tape two PS3's together.

This may or may not be quoted 100 times
LOL another fucking rumor, nice job fudzilla copy and paste IGN lol

Anyways I like the part were it's on par with current gen lol I'm sure a Quad AMD 3850 and a HD 7650 is on par LMFAO :p
Doesn't sound too different from a current gen PC.

Blackface

Banned
So you can already better SIGNIFICANTLY better GPU's and CPU's on the PC over whats going to be on the ps4 in more then a year?

I doubt it. If they go with the 7670, it will be the most underwhelming generational leap ever.

thuway

Tinfoil Hat: This is a rouse. The REAL specs of the system are kept secret so MS and Nintendo have no idea what Sony is TRULY up to. Tahiti Performance with a Pitcairn APU. YES- YES - YES.

Honestly, this doesn't make much sense. This is a system with too many stupid decisions.

Blackface

Banned
I guess they are just gonna duct tape two PS3's together.

This may or may not be quoted 100 times

Doesn't sound too different from a current gen PC.

If you were building a current gen PC for gaming, you wouldn't build it with such shitty hardware. Hopefully that puts it in perspective.

thuway

I don't mind this at all. I mean, at all. I will line up and buy this for $299! You're right, don't want to pay $599USD+ for this specs though. Hopefully it comes with a 3.5" HDD instead of 2.5" and hopefully it's not proprietary and you can use standard HDD.

Son, this better be $299. However, I garundamntee you the hard drive, controllers, and every other peripheral (BC anyone?) will cost you out the ass. Welcome to .5 Generation.

Luigiv

The PC card only has 8 ROPs and 64GB/sec of bandwidth, I think even a Geforce 8800 could eclipse it in many scenarios.

To be fair the APU also includes another GPU (the Radeon HD 6550D to be exact) that would give the system another 8 ROPs to use.

bomma_man

Count me out of PS4 if those are the specs. Sounds like an underpowered waste of time. Sony and MS need to grow some balls and get Tahiti performance with 4 GB of RAM and launch in 2014. Unless they want to completely disappoint gamers. It's cool to save money, but launch when the time is right with RIGHT specs.

What if it has really good games? You still won't buy it?

If you were building a current gen PC for gaming, you wouldn't build it with such shitty hardware. Hopefully that puts it in perspective.
True

I never said this was true though. Any real devkits out right now will probably be tweaked and optimized much further anyway.

lenovox1

It won't be long before the arrival of a fully blown "consoles am doomed" meme.

This is the age of the rise of PC and the end of the era of the console.

What? No, they're two completely distinct things with distinct purposes in the minds of consumers.

If Sony aims for these specs, expect MS to be in the same ballpark. This would be a stop-gap generation for everyone. The real winner will be Nintendo if these specs turn out to be true.

Even these specs would be 4X+ current gen, while Nintendo is rumored to be only on par.

These might make the road easier for Nintendo, but not even all that much imo. whether 4X or 10X, more powerful is still more powerful.

In fact at some point the degree of power superiority probably doesn't even matter that much. Unless Wii U is within ~30% of the other guys, whether they're 2X or 20X is likely almost irrelevant.

Jarmel

Banned
Can we compare this to early PS3 devkits and what the final version can do?

We might expect something similar this time as well.

thuway

What if it has really good games? You still won't buy it?

The bulk of software is from third party developers. Expect that to be across the entire spectrum of the market. The PS4 will be my "Exclusives" only system if this rumor turns out to be true. I wanted Sony to go the traditional route with powerful hardware. Is it a crime to ask for Tahiti performance, 4 gb of RAM, and a 2014 launch? This is a console that will last us 5 years at the minimum.\

Sony and MS could have went for Tahiti performance, 2014, and 4gb of RAM. Developer's happy, gamer's happy, and $299.

z0m3le

Banned
This article is from april 5th, I didn't see it posted, but fudzilla has been right about a number of apple rumors, and they were the original xbox 720 uses a gpu based on HD6670 rumor, if the systems are based on these gpus, they will likely be custom enough that they hit a pretty respectable performance, what I worry about is the CPU, as both Wii U and 720's IBM CPUs should out perform an AMD cpu at the same or lower clocks.

Dennis

Banned
Even these specs would be 4X+ current gen, while Nintendo is rumored to be only on par.

These might make the road easier for Nintendo, but not even all that much imo. whether 4X or 10X, more powerful is still more powerful.

In fact at some point the degree of power superiority probably doesn't even matter that much. Unless Wii U is within ~30% of the other guys, whether they're 2X or 20X is likely almost irrelevant.

4x might as well be 1x for all the difference that would make after what feels like 15 years.

No Wii U rumored 4x and up, "on par thing" was one guy who didnt give his name all other have been 4x and or up, unless they talking about a port of they own game

Well, two sites posting nearly identical information would lend more credence to these specs being true. Unless Fud is pulling from IGN...

Regardless, it is extremely disappointing if those are true.

lenovox1

Major, MAJOR sideeye.

If you actually take these specs seriously
you shouldn't
, you should take the specs reported by 01net seriously, too. Those specs wouldn't put the Wii U that far away from the Orbis.

And did you miss the "developer" quote that said, "'…we really don’t know how well the unit can perform, but so far it has been on par with the current generation."? And it wasn't referring to the Wii U.

To be fair the APU also includes another GPU (the Radeon HD 6550D to be exact) that would give the system another 8 ROPs to use.

Yeah, the APU is 400 SP's and the 7670 another 480. That's disregarding clocks.

If you can get them to work together efficiently (likely so, given AMD already has such tech on the PC side, though I dont know it's effectiveness) that's 880 SP's worth of power, versus equivalent 240 SP's in Xenos/360.

Then throw clock in there, which Xenos is 500 mhz, the APU SP's might be 600 mhz and the 7670 could be much higher than that. Lets us say the 7670 is clocked at 1 ghz as the PC part is, yeah, you're talking equivalent 480Xdouble clock=960 SP's relative to Xenos just on the 7670. You've still got the other 400 SP's at maybe 600 mhz too.

AT those speculated clocks, you'd have the equivalent of 960+480= 1440 SP's. Plus probably a lot of other advantages just by being so much more modern, than the raw SP count would indicate.

Make no mistake by next gen standards this wouldn't be a monster, but it would be a huge upgrade.

z0m3le

Banned

This rumor actually has the PS4 quoted as on par, it's bolded in the OP, also these specs line up with the Wii U's rumored specs pretty easily... they actually fall a bit behind it in a couple areas... especially the CPU, but even the GPU on the Wii U is rumored to be 1000+ gflops, the ps4's rumored 7670 would be 768 gflops, with it's off the shelf part, but it's going to likely become a custom part, still these consoles will likely end up well within reach of each other, if this rumor has any truth to it.

Fun note:

FUD generally means Fear, Unrest, and Doubt. So, to spread FUD, one might start whispering about how The Last Guardian has been turned in to a Vita-only game and now heavily features Monster Hunter-style local multiplayer. It's not true, but it gets people worried.

So naming your site Fudzilla and posting articles like this sure does make for an interesting coincidence.

SGRU

If Sony wants to strike first, they might go with a cheap console, the same strategy Nintendo will use with Wii U.

thuway

Fun note:

FUD generally means Fear, Unrest, and Doubt. So, to spread FUD, one might start whispering about how The Last Guardian has been turned in to a Vita-only game and now heavily features Monster Hunter-style local multiplayer. It's not true, but it gets people worried.

So naming your site Fudzilla and posting articles like this sure does make for an interesting coincidence.

You are the man people believe in. You have risen the hopes of all the plebians on GAF with one post about the Xbox 720
EA, Activision, DICE, and Epic all insisted on raising the ceiling by what we would traditionally consider a generational leap.

Microsoft listened because they were told this would increase game sales and hardware adoption.

Margalis

Banned
In general it seems that every future system is on par or below current gen.

I look forward to 2040 where consoles will be original Gameboy level.

bomma_man

The bulk of software is from third party developers. Expect that to be across the entire spectrum of the market. The PS4 will be my "Exclusives" only system if this rumor turns out to be true. I wanted Sony to go the traditional route with powerful hardware. Is it a crime to ask for Tahiti performance, 4 gb of RAM, and a 2014 launch? This is a console that will last us 5 years at the minimum.\

Sony and MS could have went for Tahiti performance, 2014, and 4gb of RAM. Developer's happy, gamer's happy, and $299.

Fairo. As a predominantly Nintendo based gamer third party content isn't really on my radar much :p

Wonder what Sony will do to differentiate their console if they aren't going all out on power? MS has Kinect and Live, Nintendo has motion controls, the padlet and their exclusives. Sony has... middle of the road online, middle of the road motion/camera controls, solid but not spectacular (sales wise) exclusives. Going on the evidence of the PS3 and the Vita they don't really know how to focus their efforts into something that's anything more than a jack of all trades.

In general it seems that every future system is on par or below current gen.

I look forward to 2040 where consoles will be original Gameboy level.

Yes, because a rumoured 16-core/dual GPU Xbox 720 screams 'current gen'.

All of these rumours are ridiculous.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

The Wii was so underspecced that it was impossible to port HD games. It simply lacked the CPU/GPU horsepower and RAM. That will change in the next gen. Even if the Wii U falls behind Microsoft and Sony's new machines in 2013, if those games are functionally and visually identical to PS4/720 games with the only difference being either the framerate (30 vs 60 fps), resolution (720p vs 1080p) or a few visual effects I wonder if Joe Sixpack will be able to tell those versions apart. It's going to be the difference between running the same PC game on different visual fidelity settings. That's a check on the box.

Tookay

You are the man people believe in. You have risen the hopes of all the plebians on GAF with one post about the Xbox 720

Yeah, because a games industry ruled by an oligopoly of four publishers (who of course would advocate for super expensive development that only they can afford) will definitely be great for gamers!

Fairo. As a predominantly Nintendo based gamer third party content isn't really on my radar much :p

Wonder what Sony will do to differentiate their console if they aren't going all out on power? MS has Kinect and Live, Nintendo has motion controls, the padlet and their exclusives. Sony has... middle of the road online, middle of the road motion/camera controls, solid but not spectacular (sales wise) exclusives. Going on the evidence of the PS3 and the Vita they don't really know how to focus their efforts into something that's anything more than a jack of all trades.

If Sony lands squarely in the middle then they can get the best of both worlds.

I think that gpu runs modern warfare 2 about 80 fps max at 720p. This is not real people.

It's true it's a piece of crap by PC standards, yet it still crushes PS360.

People need to understand that software built for a closed box will destroy that software running on a PC. That is why the PS3 with 7800 GTX GPU, can put out Killzone 3.

thuway

The Wii was so underspecced that it was impossible to port HD games. It simply lacked the CPU/GPU horsepower and RAM. That will change in the next gen. Even if the Wii U falls behind Microsoft and Sony's new machines in 2013, if those games are functionally and visually identical to PS4/720 games with the only difference being either the framerate (30 vs 60 fps), resolution (720p vs 1080p) or a few visual effects I wonder if Joe Sixpack will be able to tell those versions apart. It's going to be the difference between running the same PC game on different visual fidelity settings. That's a check on the box.

Developer's would be fucking stupid to target 1080p, 60 FPS with these specs. If you want the generational leap we all want, be comfortable knowing that at 720p, 25 FPS you can get some handsome rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom