• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Specs "leaked" by fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun note:

FUD generally means Fear, Unrest, and Doubt. So, to spread FUD, one might start whispering about how The Last Guardian has been turned in to a Vita-only game and now heavily features Monster Hunter-style local multiplayer. It's not true, but it gets people worried.

So naming your site Fudzilla and posting articles like this sure does make for an interesting coincidence.

So do you have any real reasons on why people should believe your rumors and not theirs?

Yeah, I'm not convinced this is actually true. I have to say, I'm amazed so many gamers are willing to write-off a console just because it might potentially try to offer an improved gaming experience in ways other than beefed-up graphics.

B.B..B...BUT what about the newer Pastebin post: 4GB RAM, A8 APU w/ 6850 and the HD 7900.

A8 APU is 6550D.

Even a HD 79XX sucks 150w out of the socket alone. For it to work in an closed enviorment like a game console would have been clocked alot lower then the pc version.

Everyone expecting a HUGE jump this gen is in for a rude awakening.

Thanks going balls to the walls to da XTREEEEME last time and making the hughest jump possible, the next jump can only be moderate at best! Unless you want a 1000$+ console...

thuway

Yeah, because a games industry ruled by an oligopoly of four publishers (who of course would advocate for super expensive development that only they can afford) will definitely be great for gamers!

There is nothing wrong with a powerful console with a humble prize tag ($349, 4gb of RAM, Tahiti, 2014). To say that power means nothing because certain developer's can't quite make the mark is a silly accusation.

Developer's fail because they have yet to embrace tiered pricing. I do not want to pay 60 dollars USD for WWE '11, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom, and Twisted Metal. Power won't kill developers - greed and mismanagement will.

This generation has proved that mismanagement (I'm looking at you Japanese developers), shitting out of sequels at 60 dollars, and lack of features (Killzone still doesn't have online CO-OP?) will net you nothing. Price some new titles at $30-$40, you don't need the best graphics, but you need to get your features right. People will be less reluctant to try new things.

So do you have any real reasons on why people should believe your rumors and not theirs?

Well I dont think he wants anyone to believe anything, but him being right on past occasions may be a good reason to believe him over this and you know him not being called FUDingAlberto...

bomma_man

If Sony lands squarely in the middle then they can get the best of both worlds.

In theory yes, but a lot of the time putting a bit each way doesn't really result in the amount of success that an all out risk can. The PSP's success was perfectly acceptable but it paled in comparison to the disruptive DS. All of Apple's success of the last decade has been based on disruption.

A jack of all trades may be successful but it's unlikely to be a phenomenon.

Zaptruder

Banned
If these specs are true... I think someone at Sony has been reading my threads...

and liking them.

I mean, if it was up to me, I would go this way with my next gen of consoles, so they launched cheap enough, but could recieve regular trailing compatibility refrehses... but also so I could pack in motion + split controllers from the beginning.

/inbeforepitchforks

Alex

I think that gpu runs modern warfare 2 about 80 fps max at 720p. This is not real people.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the next gen wasn't anything more than a few touch ups to this one and more about OS work, and business/distribution models, but keep in mind that PCs do have extremely high overhead compared to consoles, moreso than ever with the actual need to optimize being so low with all mid and high budget games now being multi platform on ancient hardware while the GPU race never slowed down.

z0m3le

Banned
Yeah, the APU is 400 SP's and the 7670 another 480. That's disregarding clocks.

If you can get them to work together efficiently (likely so, given AMD already has such tech on the PC side, though I dont know it's effectiveness) that's 880 SP's worth of power, versus equivalent 240 SP's in Xenos/360.

Then throw clock in there, which Xenos is 500 mhz, the APU SP's might be 600 mhz and the 7670 could be much higher than that. Lets us say the 7670 is clocked at 1 ghz as the PC part is, yeah, you're talking equivalent 480Xdouble clock=960 SP's relative to Xenos just on the 7670. You've still got the other 400 SP's at maybe 600 mhz too.

AT those speculated clocks, you'd have the equivalent of 960+480= 1440 SP's. Plus probably a lot of other advantages just by being so much more modern, than the raw SP count would indicate.

Make no mistake by next gen standards this wouldn't be a monster, but it would be a huge upgrade.

The 7670 is 800mhz, here is a chart, so you can keep up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...g_units#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx.29_series

This is a dev kit, and an early one at that, so you can trust that it will be a custom part when all is said and done, if they did keep the 6550D: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Fusion_microprocessors that chip could give them 480gflops + the 768gflops from the main GPU, you'd hit 1.248Tflops, which is right around where the Wii U is rumored and slower then the current 20% faster than Wii U rumor that the Xbox3 has going for it.

All in all, this generation will likely play out like this as investors don't want to eat losses, and 1080p doesn't really require more than this, if they could do what they did with the ~250gflop gpus in the current HD twins.

In theory yes, but a lot of the time putting a bit each way doesn't really result in the amount of success that an all out risk can. The PSP's success was perfectly acceptable but it paled in comparison to the disruptive DS. All of Apple's success of the last decade has been based on disruption.

A jack of all trades may be successful but it's unlikely to be a phenomenon.

That's exactly what the 360 was and is.

thuway

tumblr_lihhkxacPF1qi3n3go1_400.gif

Mako_Drug

All in all, this generation will likely play out like this as investors don't want to eat losses, and 1080p doesn't really require more than this, if they could do what they did with the ~250gflop gpus in the current HD twins.

Yeah but 4k rumours...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So this is just a slightly more detailed version of the IGN rumor, right? Now that I've read up on it I like the idea of a GPU/APU system. I do think the main GPU and the CPU need a bit of a boost compared to these specs but I think that's likely if these are specs taken from devkits. I have a feeling that Sony and Microsoft are going to build very similar systems, with maybe RAM being the only differentiating factor.

joshwaan

I think if these rumours hold some weight it must be a early dev kit which Sony had out since start of year. Sony hopefully is working on that 3D Stack tech which will give big performance upgrades so i read. I just don't see Sony going this low in specs.

Was it pastebin someone posted 2nd Devkit had 3870k which is 3.0GHZ chip and a 6850 APU and SI 7900 series GPU and memory bumped to 4GB. So many damn rumours lol :p

But all we can do is discuss the possibilities at this stage nothing fact from Sony,Microsoft, or Nintendo.

E3 will be damn good this year I think :)

Wow didn't realize Fudzilla aped IGN completely right down to clock speed, then threw in a BS developer qoute.

And this article is from April 5.

Really not even worth discussing LOL.

boingball

On par with iPhone is what it means (until Fall 2013 there will be two new iPhone models and one new iPad model out).

To be honest, I do not understand these specs. It is basically a PS3.5 and not powerful enough to emulate a PS3, which means it will not be backwards compatible (well, perhaps it can play Minis). Unless Sony plans to put a PS3 in the box as well and release again with 599 dollars...

lenovox1

That's exactly what the 360 was and is.

The 360 wasn't of jack-of-all anything until Kinect came about, and Microsoft can owe much of the 360s success to 3rd-party games, the young males that buy those games, and it's tremendous online connectivity and games. Consumers didn't care about much else with regards to the 360 (I don't know about now, since they've re-marketed and refreshed it with Kinect).

Um, that Vita is trying the "jack-of-all trades" approach, and it's getting pushed out of its own market by the tablets and smartphones. If that's what they're going for with the PS4, I hope they have a Plan B on the ready.

thuway

I think if these rumours hold some weight it must be a early dev kit which Sony had out since start of year. Sony hopefully is working on that 3D Stack tech which will give big performance upgrades so i read. I just don't see Sony going this low in specs.

Was it pastebin someone posted 2nd Devkit had 3870k which is 3.0GHZ chip and a 6850 APU and SI 7900 series GPU and memory bumped to 4GB. So many damn rumours lol :p

But all we can do is discuss the possibilities at this stage nothing fact from Sony,Microsoft, or Nintendo.

E3 will be damn good this year I think :)

Do you realize how stupid this sounds?

This is like your first devkit being a Happy Meal and your second devkit being a Medium Rare Porterhouse from Ruth Chuck.

HylianTom

Banned
Wow didn't realize Fudzilla aped IGN completely right down to clock speed, then threw in a BS developer qoute.

Oh but it is. :)

This could have very, very interesting implications for the direction of the industry over the next decade or so. Sony is very influential; going with modest specs could be a.. gamechanger. ;)

hatchx

Banned
Do this Sony,

249.99 at launch.
Nearly every Ps2 game available for download.
PS3 BC. Blu-Ray. DVD. Same old.
Smaller system. Slick slick design.

Call it Playstation ______ (something other than 4)

I'll buy it.

thuway

Do this Sony,

249.99 at launch.

I'll buy it.

You do realize this won't be $249.99.
It will have NO BC with PS3, PS2 probably, but I highly doubt you'll have all PS2 games as download.
Bluray/DVD - OK
Small System - OK

I'm sorry this does nothing for most of us. This sounds like a Wii U with a cheap price tag.

Not sure how accurate it is, but Fudzilla is a pretty reliable source of information. Also does shine a lot of light on why a console would go with an AMD CPU.
This is not even remotely true.

They post and re-post rumors, regardless of the source.

If it is even close to accurate, then you're still not going to see reliable 60fps 1080p releases, six years into the "HD Generation."

hatchx

Banned
You do realize this won't be $249.99.
It will have NO BC with PS3, PS2 probably, but I highly doubt you'll have all PS2 games as download.
Bluray/DVD - OK
Small System - OK

I'm sorry this does nothing for most of us. This sounds like a Wii U with a cheap price tag.

Not gonna happen. Architecture is VASTLY diffrent from ps3 and no console on this planet will be capable of emulating a ps3 in the next 10 years (Emulating CELL to be specific here)

Well, thanks for crushing my dreams guys. My 1st gen 40 gig PS3 is on it's last legs, and the system has a massive back log. I would love going this route.

PS4 with no BC and underpowered is as dead as a PSPgo.

z0m3le

Banned

I don't know, these specs seem to make sense in a lot of ways, investors don't want to eat loses, having multiple sources confirm rumors, should make those rumors more believable, not less... and of course there is no reason for Sony to use an AMD CPU unless they are using an APU, "crossfiring" with a decrete GPU, even one like the HD7670, would certainly be more desirable for media applications as well, because it can be a much quieter and even smaller case, but still have a decent amount of horse power for 1080p, we are talking about 5x the GPU processing power over PS360 btw, that is nothing to sneeze at in a closed system...

Also just because everyone seems to miss understand the ps360 GPUs compared to the PC counterparts of 2005/2006, those PC GPUs were twice as powerful (the x1900xtx was ~550Gflops) vs xenos 240gflops.

HylianTom

Banned
Do this Sony,

249.99 at launch.

I'll buy it.

Sounds very good. And I'm sure investors would love it; with a good "hook," they could have dreams of Wii-like success dancing in their heads. :D

NBtoaster

Do this Sony,

249.99 at launch.

I'll buy it.

So you just want a super slim BC PS3?

Like how?

Some other, new form of control (we don't have to stick to motion), or maybe graphics will stay the same, but physics and interactivity in the games environment can be improved, etc.

Or...if we really wanna dream, maybe PS4 can do away with all crap-DLC and DRM. Undoing those alone would undo the damage done this gen, but I'm not holding my breath.

z0m3le

Banned
Some other, new form of control (we don't have to stick to motion), or maybe graphics will stay the same, but physics and interactivity in the games environment can be improved, etc.

Or...if we really wanna dream, maybe PS4 will do away with all DLC and DRM. Undoing those alone would undo the damage done this gen, but I'm not holding my breath.

This would be a great use for an APU, and could really push graphics from a different perspective. I'd be all for this, also I updated the OP with this side information: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469574 Sony isn't doing so well financially and could be why they would go this route, I know investors don't want another PS3. Neither does MS's investors.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So as powerful as the Wii U?
For the love of fuck, these rumours are getting ridiculous.
Those desktop parts can run UE3.0 titles at 1080p/60fps. Still waiting to hear news of now-gen Wii U ports running with those settings. Or anything at all, really.

I still don't think the rumors have much substance though. Anything going into the PS4 is going to be a custom part and not OTC PC hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom