• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Specs "leaked" by fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGRU

If Sony revamp their online service and store and make small team development and digital distribution their main focus for the next gen, it could be just as exciting as a box that has a lot more power and can do even better large-scale big-budget games.

Agree.

I still wait for the day when Sony realizes it's on-line store sucks to death. I'm personally much more interested in a PSN re-design than in a new console. So Sony, please adopt Steam and stop working on new architectures until you guys have a proper digital store.

Tinfoil Hat: This is a rouse. The REAL specs of the system are kept secret so MS and Nintendo have no idea what Sony is TRULY up to. Tahiti Performance with a Pitcairn APU. YES- YES - YES.

Honestly, this doesn't make much sense. This is a system with too many stupid decisions.

for the last time, Tahiti is not going in. and no decisions have been made on any console because you have not heard any official news, so wait until they release something before knocking it. a Quad AMD 3850 and a HD 7650 is above what you have now.

Medalion

Banned
Wii U reports were not anonymous, those claims were made by specific, named developers.

And it's not so hard to understand why certain people have more trouble accepting those reports about the platform holder whole last home and two last portable consoles came out very powerful, compared to the one whose last home and two last portable consoles came out rather weak.

What specific named developers said Wii U is weaker than current gen, what article are u referencing?

z0m3le

Banned
That's the total loss, not annual.

You're right: "Sony, worth $100 billion in September 2000, is now valued at $18 billion"

That would definitely be impossible for them to eat, though I believe asset wise, there are still "worth" over 150billion, it still points to a smaller console.

Wii U reports were not anonymous, those claims were made by specific, named developers.

And it's not so hard to understand why certain people have more trouble accepting those reports about the platform holder whole last home and two last portable consoles came out very powerful, compared to the one whose last home and two last portable consoles came out rather weak.

Wrong. The "WiiU is weaker than PS360" was by the anonymous source.

The Gearbox guy who said "They have this awesome CPU" was stuff that was ignored because the anonymous source is alot more reliable to GAF as long as its anti Nintendo!

z0m3le

Banned
It is Nintendo's and Sony's conspiracy against MS who'll be stuck with a powerful overpriced console.

Unless Fudzilla and IGN had it right a couple months ago and Xbox 3 current dev kits are only 20% faster than Wii U dev kits.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The obvious alternative would be that the information is actually, you know, true.

Looking at the writer's history I think my opinion on it is more credible. He has done similar things with other stories. He claimed independent sources on the Wii U 'Nov 18th' rumour too, but I don't believe for one second he wasn't doing anything but tarting up his report so he could write it as if it were a Fudzilla original. The guy seems to be link-phobic - there are many stories he's posted after other outlets where he either completely ignores other sources or claims his own when I think it's pretty obvious the information came from those other outlets.

(And, I mean, I may well be right, and the information may well be simultaneously true! It's not an either/or. The IGN rumour stands on its own two feet, it doesn't need Fudzilla's help. I'm just pointing out the guy's track record with this kind of rumour reporting.)

Not weaker than current gen, but "less powerful than we thought".

it clear he talking about how his ported game is on the wii U "His game looks on par with others" he under NDA so he cant talk about anything other then that

Based on what I understand, the, you know, the resolution and textures and polycounts and all that stuff, we're not going to being doing anything to uprez the game, but we'll take advantage of the controller for sure.

but so far it has been on par with the current generation.

zqdioq6ucl.gif

Ashes

Banned
I wonder if Sony will have 5 skus instead of 1 or 2.

16gb/32gb/64/125/250gb/300gb/500gb

the 1% will always buy the top of the range. #Should be able to sell atleast one sku with decent profit margins.

Erasus

You cant cvompare the specs with a pc. Its the same hardware so devs can optimnize it muuuch better.

Try running BF3 in 720p on a 7600GT with 256MB RAM.

You cant.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Exterminieren said:
I find it exceptionally interesting that the Wii U anonymous reports that it was going to be less powerful than we thought are unquestioningly accepted by GAF
Wii-U leaks were credited to an actual idiot in game industry that openly decided to break NDAs. MS/Sony stuff so far hasn't (which could mean people leaking are just smarter, or there's not been any actual leaks, only people creatively interpreting what they overhead).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
up to now following the rumors only Durango will be a real step into the next gen, with wii u and ps4 "on par with current gen".
we'll see.

z0m3le

Banned
Looking at the writer's history I think my opinion on it is more credible. He has done similar things with other stories. He claimed independent sources on the Wii U 'Nov 18th' rumour too, but I don't believe for one second he wasn't doing anything but tarting up his report so he could write it as if it were a Fudzilla original. The guy seems to be link-phobic - there are many stories he's posted after other outlets where he either completely ignores other sources or claims his own when I think it's pretty obvious the information came from those other outlets.

(And, I mean, I may well be right, and the information may well be simultaneously true! It's not an either/or. The IGN rumour stands on its own two feet, it doesn't need Fudzilla's help. I'm just pointing out the guy's track record with this kind of rumour reporting.)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217112p1.html

The chipset for a next generation Xbox console has been in production since last month, and will go into full production by the end of the year, according to technology news reports.

Tech site Fudzilla states, "Recent speculation that the new main System on a Chip (SoC) for the Next Xbox began production is apparently accurate; the SoC did indeed start production in late December of 2011. Sources tell us that the code name for the chip is Oban, and it is being produced by both IBM and Global Foundries for Microsoft."

Fudzilla does collaborate with IGN rumors, they both have separate sources, and I think this entire next gen is going to look a lot more like PS2, Xbox and Gamecube than this current gen, but believe whatever you want.

The quote in the OP is that the PS4 hardware is also "On par" I think that is completely bogus, just the engines are designed for old hardware, so they aren't using what these new boxes have to offer, like Out of Order Execution, and more ram, newer shader models, tessellation units, ect.

You're free to interpret it any way you like, but the engines are designed to support PC as well, the platform where most of those features are nothing new, and some of them, like out-of-order execution, are old as the Bible.

Boogybro

I find it exceptionally interesting that the Wii U anonymous reports that it was going to be less powerful than we thought are unquestioningly accepted by GAF, but reports on the PS4 which contain precisely the same amount of evidence are met with widespread mockery and doubt.

A rather interesting reflection of GAF's psyche, I feel. :)

You mean this isn't what you expected?

I seriously wish there is more power to both the PS4 and Xbox 3 than the current rumoured off-shelf parts. I do not mind if it is a spiced up version of current parts, but please give me something more powerful because I would like the graphics to hold up for a few years at least with the PC scene. I am not really much of a graphics whore since I am fine with the current state of PS3 graphics, but I will just personally feel better if I know I am buying something cutting-edge graphics-wise. ;)

z0m3le

Banned
You're free to interpret it any way you like, but the engines are designed to support PC as well, the platform where most of those features are nothing new, and some of them, like out-of-order execution, are old as the Bible.

You don't use the same middleware for PCs as Consoles, they are too different, console code is highly optimized, so running a less popular engine on these newer consoles, with the old engine code (how it would work if you were... say porting a multiplatform game) would mean that you end up with a very unoptimized code... think skyrim bad.

up to now following the rumors only Durango will be a real step into the next gen, with wii u and ps4 "on par with current gen".
we'll see.

Hmmmmm well all the PS3 rumours seem to come from IGN, who suggest 360 is around the same level. Just got to wait and see. All theses rumours makes it hard to believe the systems won't be shown at e3 though

McLovin

I can't blame them for doing this. If we learned anything from this gen it's that casuals far outnumber the hardcore. And they don't care about specs. I...I think I might go pc only next gen :(

bomma_man

That's exactly what the 360 was and is.

Not really. It's online network (including XBLA) stands out (and was originally pushed by their only first party smash Halo) as does Kinect, which sparked the console's recent resurgence in the Anglo-sphere. So it has succeeded on the back of a focus on two risky features (remember that Live came out on the OG Xbox first).

The PS3 is the middle of the road console in terms of features this generation and it's had - can you believe it - middle of the road sales.

I don't get why people who thought $599 for a PS3 was too expensive would suddenly switch over to PC and have to spend about that for a mid-range to high range PC to get caught up.

All these rumours just confuse me further, I think I'll just wait and see.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
I foresee even more core gamers on PC next gen.
I'm still saying W8 Tablet on I7 could do wonders for killing off the rest of mobile game market as well as current consoles :p
I'd use that over console all the time for one.

Ashes

Banned
I seriously wish there is more power to both the PS4 and Xbox 3 than the current rumoured off-shelf parts. I do not mind if it is a spiced up version of current parts, but please give me something more powerful because I would like the graphics to hold up for a few years at least with the PC scene. I am not really much of a graphics whore since I am fine with the current state of PS3 graphics, but I will just personally feel better if I know I am buying something cutting-edge graphics-wise. ;)

We were going from sd to hd last gen as far as tvs are concerned. I'm sure you'll be happy gong from a baseline of hd to hd+ :p

I have a feeling uncharted 3 from last year will be about par for launch games next year. Even if it is technically supposed to be a generation leap.

Not really. It's online network (including XBLA) stands out (and was originally pushed by their only first party smash Halo) as does Kinect, which sparked the console's recent resurgence in the Anglo-sphere. So it has succeeded on the back of a focus on two risky features (remember that Live came out on the OG Xbox first).

The PS3 is the middle of the road console in terms of features this generation and it's had - can you believe it - middle of the road sales.

3 million less than 360 to date is middle of the road?

itsgreen

I don't see these specs as shocking, it makes sense.

Lets take a small PS3 bullet list:
* expensive development
* very customized hardware
* very high (too high) console price
* low margins
* hard(er) to code for

how would you translate that to lessons?
* semi-off the shelve products
* lower console price
* bigger margins
* easier development

So what do you do? You'll make a deal with AMD for a fixed price and license fees and you'll let them design two chips a APU and a dedicated GPU based on an existing design and let it be customized for your needs.

It's a great way to incorporate all the lessons that should've been learned from PS3.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Some thoughts,

Many people say that Sonys first party support/line is better than MS.

For MS, would it be "better" to go all out on the hardware, giving basically the devs/publishers what they want (16 core, dual GPU rumour etc etc) in order to secure more games from 3rd party?`Would this be financially a better option for MS, than to use own resources to make AAA games from their own internal studios?

(granted, MS will use their own internal studios) but perhaps betting more money on the hardware, would make devs/publishers put resources/games on that particular machine?
(At least, best version of the game will be on that 720 etc)

MS has done a great job with 3rd parties this gen so why not giving them "what they want" in order to secure games from them, thanks to the "out of this world"-hardware? ;)

About these rumours, I have been speculating that Sony cannot take the same losses as they did with PS3 and preferably, they want to sell their machine with profit, close to nothing in loss.. so these rumours perhaps have some truth in them...perhaps..

You don't use the same middleware for PCs as Consoles, they are too different, console code is highly optimized, so running a less popular engine on these newer consoles, with the old engine code (how it would work if you were... say porting a multiplatform game) would mean that you end up with a very unoptimized code... think skyrim bad.

Er, you can't just put the "highly optimized" PS3/Xbox 360 code on Wii U. For all we know, the Darksiders 2 Wii U port is based on the PC code base - besides, they obviously have the know-how required to take advantage of the features that you listed. It seems to me you're just trying too hard to find excuses, but like I said, whatever helps you sleep at night.

Zaki2407

Hehe, Can,t wait for E3 or TGS.
This time finally they can show these trailers again and add "This is running REAL TIME on an ACTUAL PS4 Hardware!!" tagline ^_^
tekken-ps3-e3-2005.jpg

metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatrio.jpg

medium_motorstorm_fantasy.jpg

Hehehe ^_^ Just for fun guys...

We were going from sd to hd last gen as far as tvs are concerned. I'm sure you'll be happy gong from a baseline of hd to hd+ :p

I have a feeling uncharted 3 from last year will be about par for launch games next year. Even if it is technically supposed to be a generation leap.

Well my current TV only supports baseline HD (720p / 1080i) so I don't know if I can be happy with just HD+ and games just looking like Uncharted 3 at launch.
I hope we can get a bit closer to Toy Story (3) at least. :p

I was referring to the "less than PS360!" bumwash, which is entirely made up of anonymous sources speaking like GameFAQs trolls, not the report that game is not going to look better on WiiU from developers who said from the beginning that they weren't going to try, but, you know, whatever.

You mean comparing the strategies of the company that raked in billions this gen, as opposed to the company that lost billions?

If (and I don't think it likely) this rumour is true, then it simply means that Sony looked at the last gen and learnt lessons.

Some thoughts,

Many people say that Sonys first party support/line is better than MS.

For MS, would it be "better" to go all out on the hardware, giving basically the devs/publishers what they want (16 core, dual GPU rumour etc etc) in order to secure more games from 3rd party?`Would this be financially a better option for MS, than to use own resources to make AAA games from their own internal studios?

(granted, MS will use their own internal studios) but perhaps betting more money on the hardware, would make devs/publishers put resources/games on that particular machine?
(At least, best version of the game will be on that 720 etc)

MS has done a great job with 3rd parties this gen so why not giving them "what they want" in order to secure games from them, thanks to the "out of this world"-hardware? ;)

About these rumours, I have been speculating that Sony cannot take the same losses as they did with PS3 and preferably, they want to sell their machine with profit, close to nothing in loss.. so these rumours perhaps have some truth in them...perhaps..

or they could xbox themself out of next gen and Wii U and PS4 like in PS2 days

top end over power never win

I was referring to the "less than PS360!" bumwash, which is entirely made up of anonymous sources speaking like GameFAQs trolls, not the report that game is not going to look better on WiiU from developers who said from the beginning that they weren't going to try, but, you know, whatever.

You mean comparing the strategies of the company that raked in billions this gen, as opposed to the company that lost billions?

If (and I don't think it likely) this rumour is true, then it simply means that Sony looked at the last gen and learnt lessons.

Shit hardware and an innovative idea worked for Nintendo, but also meant an early death. Shit hardware without an innovative idea won't mean anything. I also think consumers are more sceptical about new teleplay mechanisms

iratA

I don't trust any of these no name sauces. I only stick to what I know and love.

we need to wait for official specs

Count me out of PS4 if those are the specs. Sounds like an underpowered waste of time. Sony and MS need to grow some balls and get Tahiti performance with 4 GB of RAM and launch in 2014. Unless they want to completely disappoint gamers. It's cool to save money, but launch when the time is right with RIGHT specs.

All the rumors for PS4 seems to have lower spec than expected. I hope the real product has better specs than the rumors

This does not look like commentary on the main CPU or System ram, but rumors on the GPU setup in the PS4. I am not sure why you really feel as if the GPU setup must be that more powerful. Unless you like seeing the PS4 price skyrocket.

So which is the "CPU" part? If the 7670 is the GPU, and the A8-3850 is the APU, am I stupid to think that there was no comment on the CPU in the article?

That is what it looks like to me.

z0m3le

Banned
Er, you can't just put the "highly optimized" PS3/Xbox 360 code on Wii U. For all we know, the Darksiders 2 Wii U port is based on the PC code base - besides, they obviously have the know-how required to take advantage of the features that you listed. It seems to me you're just trying too hard to find excuses, but like I said, whatever helps you sleep at night.

I don't even know what you are talking about, 2 vigil developers actually working with the Wii U hardware say that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS360, and the game design director who hasn't touched the Wii U and even admits to his information being an interpretation of what he has heard, says the Wii U is on par with what we currently have...

That actually isn't surprising, because if you took BF3 for instance, and put it on the Wii U, it wouldn't look much better then it did on the PS360, but if you are from the programmers side, you can easily see why that would be the case.

Even still, 2x 3x is still on par when you are expecting next gen to bring you 10x. (these rumors however point to a very different next gen)

Medalion

Banned
Frankly, why would any self respecting company continue pushing high tech consoles when Nintendo proved its still too nichey to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom