• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Specs "leaked" by fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

HD7670 isn't really all that powerful (would be very small leap), but these devs have some warped view about what 'on par' means don't they?

Like I said, it would be akin to going from low to high, and increasing resolution. Nothing ground breaking. You could release the same title on PS360, Wii U, and the NextOrbis.

Harlock

Nobody thinks that is a problem if you can´t play the PSN games? You build a big catalog in your Sony account. For me seems a very different situation in comparison with PS2 games in PS3 hardware.

No. They deal with a very small and sortsighted consumer base called NeoGAF that expects them to put out extremely expensive hardware at a comfortable entry price while maintaining no profit margin whatsoever. How is this sustainable again?
You pretty much just agreed with me bro

Rumour? IGN, FUDzilla, and a Pastebin article outdating the Orbis title has all but confirmed this. It doesn't bode well for any of us if both MS and Sony were to use these specs as base line. My job as a consumer and an enthusiast is to let the manufacturers know my disappointments. I don't mind waiting till 2014 as long as the shit put in those boxes gives me something on screen that quantified as a leap in technology.

Last console cycle? Tablets, smartphones, and the like are catching up at a rapid rate. Graphics are slowly burrowing into PS360 territory.

Yeah but tablets and smartphones offer a hell of a lot more functions than consoles and don't apply to the gaming realm unless you wanna play graphically intense games for time it takes to blink and eye. Apples to oranges imho

How can it be "on par" when the PS3 has "256mb" of video memory and this thing has "1GB"? I mean thats a pretty good bump for a console, they didn't even mention the system memory right?

That GPU is LOL. I guess I'm in for a no console future although MS could save the day.

If MS goes "batshit insane" i'll definitely be buying a 720 instead. I don't see how sony will be able to compete with fisher price specs. MS will get tons of 3rd party exclusives.

HylianTom

Banned
If I can't see the individual hairs on an orge's ass-warts changing with the direction of the wind in the game in realtime, then this machine won't be worth it. I need that level of power for a game to be even have a chance at being halfway decent. Otherwise, it'll be a console filled with utter garbage titles. Might as well go PC in that event.

If MS goes "batshit insane" i'll definitely be buying a 720 instead. I don't see how sony will be able to compete with fisher price specs. MS will get tons of 3rd party exclusives.
And if third parties buy into that unsustainable AAAA insanity, they deserve what's coming to 'em. Then again.. it would not surprise me one bit if many of their decision-makers have that short-sighted "need pretty pictures/what's a 'budget'?" level of judgement found in many thirteen-year-old boys.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1217112p1.html

Fudzilla does collaborate with IGN rumors, they both have separate sources, and I think this entire next gen is going to look a lot more like PS2, Xbox and Gamecube than this current gen, but believe whatever you want.

IGN didn't quite corroborate Fudzilla there, they contradicted them on the GPU. The only thing they agreed upon was the timing of things.

More fundamentally, that Fudzilla report was merely a repackaging of the Semiaccurate report a day earlier. It offered nothing new to distinguish it. 'Sources tell us that the code name for the chip is Oban' - yeah, yeah...Semiaccurate told you that in an even earlier report a month earlier.

There's a far stronger pattern of this guy writing around crediting other outlets wherever possible. He does it all the time, unless you really believe that in all these reports, this guy just happens to be a day later than some other outlet with his own independent info.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Or, Microsoft could be left out in the cold with no games while 3rd party developers all jump ship to the simpler, cheaper and "easier-to-make-games-for" Wii-U and PS4.

z0m3le

Banned

They won't, and your PC you buy in 2013 likely won't be able to play the same games as consoles in 2017... That is just the reality of closed box systems vs PCs.

jchap

The two weaker consoles would, in general, hold back 3rd party output for a more powerful third console. Games would be ported to the more powerful system with marginal upgrades, perhaps in resolution or AA.

MMaRsu

Banned
The two weaker consoles would, in general, hold back 3rd party output for a more powerful third console. Games would be ported to the more powerful system with marginal upgrades, perhaps in resolution or AA.

True, but the exclusives man, the exclusives.

But seriously, a half generational leap just wont do imo.

Or, Microsoft could be left out in the cold with no games while 3rd party developers all jump ship to the simpler, cheaper and "easier-to-make-games-for" Wii-U and PS4.

You think microsoft has been building the durango without procuring any support? You're crazy. If anything I think Sony has the most to worry about. The Microsoft and Nintendo brands have become household names while the Sony brand and Sony as a company has been damaged. When did gaming become an arms race? What other types of businesses focus on profit last and sales second?

I could see if all that power was being used to create a game that was a revelation but no. Just more effects, more details guns, and more action games is all I see in the future. While i'm glad that we have studios that do this, I'm more appreciative of the ones who slow things down and create truly special games. Give me an HD 2D metroid from the SM team and i'll be satisfied.

z0m3le

Banned

Which is why all 3 will be very close in performance, if these rumors are indeed true.

Also to the people really arguing whether Fudzilla is creditable because they might of copied IGN's article, is really missing the point that the rumor exists and somewhere, someone has a source inside the industry leaking them what was posted in the OP, unless you think it's made up, in which case, you should ask a mod to ban the site.

thuway

True, but the exclusives man, the exclusives.

But seriously, a half generational leap just wont do imo.

The next generation is going to be a straight up disappointment. In order to get the console you and I want- many things have to happen:

A- Next generation consoles need to use something with a Tahiti level performance at 200 watts.
B- 4 GB of ram plus, with densities not improving.
C- Both MS and Sony have to take a dive into the deep end together.

Only way this shit is remotely possible is if consoles launch at around 2014.

Any if consumers can be used as a metric, NeoGAF has often been completely out of touch with what the consumers want. Lol DS and Wii, right?

Shion

Thank for god Sony Nintendo Microsoft for giving us a proper next-gen console with a true generational leap.
Yeah but, if those crappy rumors are true, how do we know that the industry isn't going to receive 720 as an anomaly?

The next generation is going to be a straight up disappointment. In order to get the console you and I want- many things have to happen:

A- Next generation consoles need to use something with a Tahiti level performance at 200 watts.
B- 4 GB of ram plus, with densities not improving.
C- Both MS and Sony have to take a dive into the deep end together.

Only way this shit is remotely possible is if consoles launch at around 2014.

Dude.Really. I get that you're a consumer and all but think about what you're asking. Make an uber powerful console. Make it reasonably priced. Make no money. Now if you'd buy it at a high price that is an entirely different story.

You're right: "Sony, worth $100 billion in September 2000, is now valued at $18 billion"

That would definitely be impossible for them to eat, though I believe asset wise, there are still "worth" over 150billion, it still points to a smaller console.
Missed this. That's the change in market cap, not their annual losses as your earlier post implied.

Nintendo's market cap was around $80 billion four years ago. It stands at ~$20 billion today. Microsoft's market cap once stood at over $600 billion and is now around $250 billion; is that to imply that Microsoft will also go with a smaller console?

Their annual losses in recent times would point to another PS3 loss situation being improbable. Even if they were currently seeing profits, repeating the PS3 situation would be improbable. The PS3 wasn't caused by having too powerful a box.

It has no bearing on the loss leader strategy in general.

Under your assumption the Vita would not exist. The design philosophy behind the Vita can apply easily to a future console with no need to see the massive losses in the game segment.

This all ignoring that TVs are the core of Sony's current financial woes.

You think microsoft has been building the durango without procuring any support? You're crazy. If anything I think Sony has the most to worry about. The Microsoft and Nintendo brands have become household names while the Sony brand and Sony as a company has been damaged. When did gaming become an arms race? What other types of businesses focus on profit last and sales second?

as if playstation hasn't been a household name since the ps1 days.

as if playstation hasn't been a household name since the ps1 days.

You missed the point. The playstation brand went from "OMG YOU HAVE A PS" to "PS3 sucks" or "PS3 has no games" and "PS3 sucks compared to 360". Anecdotal evidence and all that but i've heard that so many times this gen.

Shion

You missed the point. The playstation brand went from "OMG YOU HAVE A PS" to "PS3 sucks" or "PS3 has no games" and "PS3 sucks compared to 360". Anecdotal evidence and all that but i've heard that so many times this gen.

You're talking about 2006-2008, nobody believes this shit now.

thuway

Dude.Really. I get that you're a consumer and all but think about what you're asking. Make an uber powerful console. Make it reasonably priced. Make no money. Now if you'd buy it at a high price that is an entirely different story.

I think your ignoring my declaration that manufacturers should wait longer to have consoles that perform stronger. I'm not suggesting $599, losses, or 400 watt TDP. Whatever way you slice it, 2013 is looking to be a shit generation if the proposed specs are true.

Once again by 2014-
A) 3D stacking will be common.
B) Architectural improvements (Better APUs, and more powerful GPUs with equal TDP).
C) Ram densities improve (which happens once every few years)
D) Developer's have another year to exploit hardware

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There are other rumors saying it will be a true tech leap with great specs.

I have a feeling that Microsoft might be pouring a lot into the performance of Kinect 2.0 since Kinect was such a success for them. Being just marginally more powerful than the Wii U and bundling Kinect 2 for a decent price would be a goldmine for Microsoft, especially if it can deliver on what Kinect was originally supposed to be. It would allow families to get the whole family game experience while those who are hooked on Xbox Live would get their machine at the same time. Before it was seen like the Xbox was more of the system for the gamers in the house and the Wii was for the family. Kinect has broken that wall. If Microsoft makes an affordable console to capitalize on that they'll make a fortune.

Sony is in a rough spot and I think they'll be the wildcard for next gen. They may try to up the power to appeal to the more tech savvy crowd. I'm sure 4k blu-ray support will be their 'trojan horse' this time around like DVD and blu-ray before it. I have a feeling that they're likely talking a lot with their first parties to see what kind of performance they want since exclusives and their visuals were key to the PS3 not getting trounced. If they can't afford to go for power, which is quite likely, you can bet they're talking to third parties to make it easy to work on. It'll be interesting to see where they go.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think people still underestimate what that console would be capable of with games optimized for it. It's certainly not "barely above current gen."

Taking both GPUs into account this isn't far from what I expected, but I don't really see the benefit of arbitrarily going with an APU+GPU when the two GPUs use the same architecture. Unless they would somehow get a better manufacturing contract out of that or something.

I think your ignoring my declaration that manufacturers should wait longer to have consoles that perform stronger. I'm not suggesting $599, losses, or 400 watt TDP. Whatever way you slice it, 2013 is looking to be a shit generation if the proposed specs are true.

Once again by 2014-
A) 3D stacking will be common.
B) Architectural improvements (Better APUs, and more powerful GPUs with equal TDP).
C) Ram densities improve (which happens once every few years)
D) Developer's have another year to exploit hardware
Asking through ignorance, but how do you know some of these improvements can't move forward in the roadmap to make it into next gen consoles?

thuway

I have a feeling that Microsoft might be pouring a lot into the performance of Kinect 2.0 since Kinect was such a success for them. Being just marginally more powerful than the Wii U and bundling Kinect 2 for a decent price would be a goldmine for Microsoft, especially if it can deliver on what Kinect was originally supposed to be. It would allow families to get the whole family game experience while those who are hooked on Xbox Live would get their machine at the same time. Before it was seen like the Xbox was more of the system for the gamers in the house and the Wii was for the family. Kinect has broken that wall. If Microsoft makes an affordable console to capitalize on that they'll make a fortune.

Sony is in a rough spot and I think they'll be the wildcard for next gen. They may try to up the power to appeal to the more tech savvy crowd. I'm sure 4k blu-ray support will be their 'trojan horse' this time around like DVD and blu-ray before it. I have a feeling that they're likely talking a lot with their first parties to see what kind of performance they want since exclusives and their visuals were key to the PS3 not getting trounced. If they can't afford to go for power, which is quite likely, you can bet they're talking to third parties to make it easy to work on. It'll be interesting to see where they go.

Microsoft is not stupid enough to believe they can ride the Kinnect wave forever. It did a great job lengthening the life of this generation and it will drive adoption, but it will not make 100 million units sold.

They know they need the core. They need the core. The core eats up Halo, COD, GTA, and all the other fantastic titles we wait for. They are the reason Live thrives so well.

thuway

Asking through ignorance, but how do you know some of these improvements can't move forward in the roadmap to make it into next gen consoles?

If next generation is Fall of 2013, right now is when you want to lockdown all your decisions. Half the shit I just mentioned is not available.

z0m3le

Banned
Missed this. That's the change in market cap, not their annual losses as your earlier post implied.

Nintendo's market cap was around $80 billion two years ago. It stands at ~$20 billion today. Microsoft's market cap once stood at over $600 billion and is now around $250 billion; is that to imply that Microsoft will also go with a smaller console?

Their annual losses in recent times would point to another PS3 loss situation being improbable. Even if they were currently seeing profits, repeating the PS3 situation would be improbable. The PS3 wasn't caused by having too powerful a box.

It has no bearing on the loss leader strategy in general.

Under your assumption the Vita would not exist. The design philosophy behind the Vita can apply easily to a future console with no need to see the massive losses in the game segment.

This all ignoring that TVs are the core of Sony's current financial woes.

The Vita is a powerful hand held and all, but I wouldn't say that it is comparable to building a bleeding edge console, there is no reason to build a console that could rival a mid range alienware gaming pc.

Sony can't lose money on this next console from the get go, they are in no financial position to do so, and with rumors like the AMD processor, only an APU makes any real sense there... meaning that a console around the Wii U's specs is much more likely, then what everyone was assuming. I'm sure if you could ask a Sony investor which console he would prefer they release, you would hear that he would want the one that makes him more money, and at the end of the day, that is certainly one with moderate specs that can hit a market friendly price point a hell of a lot sooner.

Also, if I was going to build this Console, I would try to get it close to costing $200, so I can bundle a Vita with it, and sell it as the tablet controller, it would do wonders for Vita sales, and give them a fighting chance against both the Wii U and 3DS.

thuway

Dear god I hope it's true.

Why? So we can all claim how Uncharted 4 looks barely any better than Uncharted 3? Or that our games are still sub HD? Or wait, because you want to see people who are genuinely vested and enthusiastic about their platforms to become disappointed?

If this turns out to be true it will be outclassed by smartphones in a short period of time. These rumors get spread on purpose to set the expectations low.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Microsoft is not stupid enough to believe they can ride the Kinnect wave forever. It did a great job lengthening the life of this generation and it will drive adoption, but it will not make 100 million units sold.

They know they need the core. They need the core. The core eats up Halo, COD, GTA, and all the other fantastic titles we wait for. They are the reason Live thrives so well.

I didn't mean that they would ignore the core. I just feel like they wouldn't need to go all out in terms of specs since they can easily outpace Nintendo in terms of specs and they will be able to cater to both the casual and core at the same time with one system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom