• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Specs "leaked" by fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't see these specs as shocking, it makes sense.

Lets take a small PS3 bullet list:
* expensive development
* very customized hardware
* very high (too high) console price
* low margins
* hard(er) to code for

how would you translate that to lessons?
* semi-off the shelve products
* lower console price
* bigger margins
* easier development

So what do you do? You'll make a deal with AMD for a fixed price and license fees and you'll let them design two chips a APU and a dedicated GPU based on an existing design and let it be customized for your needs.

It's a great way to incorporate all the lessons that should've been learned from PS3.

If you have to cook a burger and you end up overcooking it and serving it burned does not mean that you should show you learned your lesson by serving it still frozen.

z0m3le

Banned
If you have to cook a burger and you end up overcooking it and serving it burned does not mean that you should show you learned your lesson by serving it still frozen.

If Nintendo showed that a Frozen burger could sell so well, I think Sony and Microsoft would open up a Frozen burger business this time.

Ashes

Banned
If Nintendo showed that a Frozen burger could sell so well, I think Sony and Microsoft would open up a Frozen burger business this time.

Seems like Sony/Microsoft learnt that Nintendo Frozen burger sold cause they came out with new innovative microwave.

what are we talking about again?

I hope to the Lord above we're all served medium-rare to medium burgers this generation, if this is the forced metaphor we're using.

z0m3le

Banned
McDonald's and KFC pleases investors more than Michelin restaurants.

/no I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

There is no this gen. :p

Confirmed, Mc Donalds to release a HD console next year with microwaved burgers level of graphics.

I really feel for MS, Sony and Nintendo. They deal with a customer base who expects the best hardware in the market at 2001 prices.

thuway

It's pretty easy to see why the major players (DICE, Crytek, Epic) are disappointed in these specs. They will at most offer a "bump" thats akin to going from low to high in a PC game. I highly doubt this machine will set anything on fire.

IMO, this will be the LAST console cycle. Waiting till 2014 has major benefits. Ram densities improving, 3D Stacking becoming a norm, and GPU power increasing dramatically. We are at the cusp of a revolution in technology. Developer's have enough titles in the pipeline to wait until Fall 2014 (The Last of Us, Halo 4, GTA V). Let this generation ring on a few more years.

I don't mind cheaper, modest, easy to profit systems, but I want the boost in fidelity to be something worthwhile. It seems like the only real answer is the waiting game.

z0m3le

Banned
^ The last home console cycle won't be for 2 generations after this, however that is mostly because the tech should change dramatically after that... so you won't see the "last" consoles until 2025. 2040 bringing something completely different in a virtual or dream like experience though I only say this because photorealism can be faked today on high end pcs, and in 2025, you'll have consoles that can get much closer to that photorealism, (less faked) it will become such a point that new hardware can only be offered with a completely different interface (akin to Wii or something new like my guesses)
You probably read it first on IGN, where this article took it from.

If it somehow ends up being true, I guess I'll be building a new PC next gen instead of buying a console.

Just to put this into perspective, but if both GPUs are intacted and they can push 100% from both GPUs at once, that is a 5x increase in the GPU, the CPU is more powerful than the simple cores in cell and the total memory isn't listed, it is only mentioning video memory. the xbox to 360 saw the GPU grow 6x in processing power, that is still possible with this GPU, given it will end up a custom part, so a small 25% increase is possible.

I really think people have no idea what PC high end tech even is, in this day and age... they are designed for multiple monitors, every game runs well over 60fps (most triple that frame rate with everything on it's highest setting) and that isn't even a closed ended system like you get on a console, sure a 7670 comes no where close to a 7970, but it is easily 3x the power you see in the PS3.

It's pretty easy to see why the major players (DICE, Crytek, Epic) are disappointed in these specs. They will at most offer a "bump" thats akin to going from low to high in a PC game. I highly doubt this machine will set anything on fire.

IMO, this will be the LAST console cycle. Waiting till 2014 has major benefits. Ram densities improving, 3D Stacking becoming a norm, and GPU power increasing dramatically. We are at the cusp of a revolution in technology. Developer's have enough titles in the pipeline to wait until Fall 2014 (The Last of Us, Halo 4, GTA V). Let this generation ring on a few more years.

I don't mind cheaper, modest, easy to profit systems, but I want the boost in fidelity to be something worthwhile. It seems like the only real answer is the waiting game.

I don't wanna.

But I can't see these systems coming out before 2013, so what's one more year?

Just to put this into perspective, but if both GPUs are intacted and they can push 100% from both GPUs at once, that is a 5x increase in the GPU, the CPU is more powerful than the simple cores in cell and the total memory isn't listed, it is only mentioning video memory. the xbox to 360 saw the GPU grow 6x in processing power, that is still possible with this GPU, given it will end up a custom part, so a small 25% increase is possible.

I really think people have no idea what PC high end tech even is, in this day and age... they are designed for multiple monitors, every game runs well over 60fps (most triple that frame rate with everything on it's highest setting) and that isn't even a closed ended system like you get on a console, sure a 7670 comes no where close to a 7970, but it is easily 3x the power you see in the PS3.
I don't think many PC games are legitimately designed to push the best PC hardware. It's hard to say what a high end PC could do if it was a closed console, but I'd imagine it would put the Witcher 2 to absolutely shame as an example.

I don't even know what you are talking about, 2 vigil developers actually working with the Wii U hardware say that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS360

...which is not at all in conflict with it reportedly being on par with those systems - of course I expect it to be superior to 7 year old tech in at least some regards, but the question is how much. With diminishing returns we're currently experiencing in many areas, including graphics, just having, say, twice as much raw processing power wouldn't necessarily translate into significant improvements over what we already have. And if some links in the chain are indeed weaker, as it's been rumored... Well, it's going to get interesting.

and the game design director who hasn't touched the Wii U and even admits to his information being an interpretation of what he has heard

I'm sure he just read it on the internet.

That actually isn't surprising, because if you took BF3 for instance, and put it on the Wii U, it wouldn't look much better then it did on the PS360, but if you are from the programmers side, you can easily see why that would be the case.

Yes, considering that it's obviously not a six months rush port job, the most likely explanation would be that Wii U hardware just isn't all that much better than what we have in PS3/Xbox 360. It's either that or Nintendo's tools are piss poor, and from what we've heard, the opposite seems to be the case.

As it happens to be, I am on the programmers' side (currently working on porting a virtual character animation SDK from Windows to Xbox 360; granted, it's an academic project and I'm doing the porting via XNA so it's not high performance code, but it's not like I have no idea what I'm talking about), that's precisely why your theories puzzle me to no end, and I don't want to presume certain things just because you have a Nintendo avatar.

But hey, it's true that there have been some conflicting reports so let's wait and see how everything pans out. I just wouldn't be too optimistic based on the most recent developments.

itsgreen

I really feel for MS, Sony and Nintendo. They deal with a customer base who expects the best hardware in the market at 2001 prices.

True... the biggest problem most people don't seem to understand is that a console with 220+ watt usage is a hard sell. Not because of a power bill or anything, but because the thing needs to be cooled, and cooling generally is loud, and takes space. Normal people don't want a jet engine in their living room (both in terms of heat and noise).

Just look at what you can throw together for 200 watt, and that's what you'll get. And that's if Sony and MS don't go Nintendo on us (100 watt).

Pick what you want:
65 watt CPU
90 watt GPU

this is doable, the rest, not so much.

By the gods i hope this isn't true. But every rumor so far points to shit specs. I'll be so upset if sony does a wii upgrade.

Save us MS. :(

You know with all of these rumors and specs and shit floating around.

How bout we y'know wait to actually SEE the games up and running before we panic? Sony had GOW4, UC3 and Killzone 3 running on "ancient hardware", Nintendo has some of the best artists in the biz...I mean The Mario Galaxy games looked fucking awesome.

I mean seriously. We should at least wait until we have actual visual evidence instead of going of heresay and rumors and trying to mentally build these systems using PC knowledge.

PS4 on par with PS3 confirmed.

Do people believe that to be a possibility, or simply want to believe it to be the case. The situation isn't particularly analogous to the Nintendo situation, where it seems far more plausible.

Thrakier

If this is remotely true, no way in hell I'm buying it. Current gen tech doesn't impress me at all anymore, stuff like Wii is unplayable to me. I'll just stick with PC.

Think about it, even if a PS4 with slighlty more than current gen power might produce some nice graphics...where are we in 2016 or 2017?

z0m3le

Banned
...which is not at all in conflict with it reportedly being on par with those systems - of course I expect it to be superior to 7 year old tech in at least some regards, but the question is how much. With diminishing returns we're currently experiencing in many areas, including graphics, just having, say, twice as much raw processing power wouldn't necessarily translate into significant improvements over what we already have. And if some links in the chain are indeed weaker, as it's been rumored... Well, it's going to get interesting.

I'm sure he just read it on the internet.

Yes, considering that it's obviously not a six months rush port job, the most likely explanation would be that Wii U hardware just isn't all that much better than what we have in PS3/Xbox 360. It's either that or Nintendo's tools are piss poor, and from what we've heard, the opposite seems to be the case.

As it happens to be, I am on the programmers' side (currently working on porting a virtual character animation SDK from Windows to Xbox 360; granted, it's an academic project and I'm doing the porting via XNA so it's not high performance code, but it's not like I have no idea what I'm talking about), that's precisely why your theories puzzle me to no end, and I don't want to presume certain things just because you have a Nintendo avatar.

But hey, it's true that there have been some conflicting reports so let's wait and see how everything pans out. I just wouldn't be too optimistic based on the most recent developments.

Well, at least it's focused, but it aligns with what I said, On par can easily mean 2x or 3x if you are expecting PS4 and Xbox3 to be 10x the hardware, just look at this article, the PS4 rumored here is minimum 3x the specs as far as GPU goes, at least 2x the specs as for as ram, yet it's "on par".

As for the vigil guy, he said "you know, from what I've heard, the hardware is on par" meaning it's second hand, not from the internet but from his Wii U development team. Also you might know that his position on the game is ambiguous with regards to individual versions of the game, he doesn't need to touch more than 1 version of the game, that would in fact be a waste of his time, as art directors and the other teams should be able to interpret his work on the 360 and bring it to the other consoles and PC without his oversight. (that is what a direct port is)

I would take this with a grain of salt. This is a rumor. No need to talk as if it is fact yet.

What do you mean by last console cycle?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nonsense rumour. Hate this period before next-gen. The Vita shows Sony is still committed to sizeable generational leaps.

No. They deal with a very small and sortsighted consumer base called NeoGAF that expects them to put out extremely expensive hardware at a comfortable entry price while maintaining no profit margin whatsoever. How is this sustainable again?

people lamenting the supposed power of any of the next gen consoles just needs a fucking chill pill. a 7670 in closed box still shits all over RSX and Xeon. 1800xt in a pc would die trying to play any of the games on a pc now but its still kicking in an xbox.

consoles will never be cutting edge power but the actual tech can be cutting edge. deal with and just keep on enjoying videogames.

DCKing

HD7670 isn't really all that powerful (would be very small leap), but these devs have some warped view about what 'on par' means don't they?

thuway

I would take this with a grain of salt. This is a rumor. No need to talk as if it is fact yet.

What do you mean by last console cycle?

Rumour? IGN, FUDzilla, and a Pastebin article outdating the Orbis title has all but confirmed this. It doesn't bode well for any of us if both MS and Sony were to use these specs as base line. My job as a consumer and an enthusiast is to let the manufacturers know my disappointments. I don't mind waiting till 2014 as long as the shit put in those boxes gives me something on screen that quantified as a leap in technology.

Last console cycle? Tablets, smartphones, and the like are catching up at a rapid rate. Graphics are slowly burrowing into PS360 territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom