• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Specs "leaked" by fudzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
I think at this point, we should have Xbox 720 and PS4 speculation threads as well.

I think most of the rumors are pretty easy to dismiss... IE 16core CPUs, PS4/XBox3 with avatar level graphics.

This one makes sense given previous rumors, but if you want me to turn this into a speculation thread, I could probably do that.

Those desktop parts can run UE3.0 titles at 1080p/60fps. Still waiting to hear news of now-gen Wii U ports running with those settings. Or anything at all, really.

I still don't think the rumors have much substance though. Anything going into the PS4 is going to be a custom part and not OTC PC hardware.
Early Dev Kits will always use off the shelf parts like these, but your point is very important, the CPU/GPU will likely be very custom parts, I think even the 1GB vram will likely end up in the unified memory of the system. Wii U dev kits were similar to this.

So which is the "CPU" part? If the 7670 is the GPU, and the A8-3850 is the APU, am I stupid to think that there was no comment on the CPU in the article?

The CPU is the A8-3850, it's an AMD CPU (single threaded 8 core) @ 2.9ghz, with a HD6550D GPU inside, though the rumors don't point to this part being active or not, it's likely connected to other rumors that the PS4 has 2 GPUs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
having multiple sources confirm rumors, should make those rumors more believable, not less...

I think it's misleading to present it as independent confirmation. Despite Fudzilla not crediting IGN, it's not a corroborative report. It appeared the day after the IGN article was posted on April 4. It's pretty clear it's just a reprint of that report, like dozens of others that appeared after the IGN article.

what I worry about is the CPU, as both Wii U and 720's IBM CPUs should out perform an AMD cpu at the same or lower clocks.

It depends completely on what those IBM cores actually are. A quad core AMD would be a good bit better than, say, the Xenon CPU in 360, and much easier to manage and extract performance from. Heavy FP processing is probably more appropriately handled by GPGPU in a next-gen system, assuming the GPUs are as decent as they really ought to be.

the spec aren't good enough..... people complain
the price is too high... people complain

The spec are great and the price too like Vita ?
the console has no games..... people complain

HylianTom

Banned
the spec aren't good enough..... people complain
the price is too high... people complain

The spec are great and the price too like Vita ?
the console has no games..... people complain

It's the internet, where complaining is a sport.

Sony's going to be fine. They'll make nice first-party games and they'll get good third-party support.. this should be any fan's bottom line, I would think - even if the hardware were to end-up not as powerful as desired.

z0m3le

Banned
I think it's misleading to present it as independent confirmation. Despite Fudzilla not crediting IGN, it's not a corroborative report. It appeared the day after the IGN article was posted on April 4. It's pretty clear it's just a reprint of that report, like dozens of others that appeared after the IGN article.

"Our contacts in the development community seem divided on what the box can actually deliver in terms of performance."

They are presenting it that way, not me. Fudzilla is a news site and have gotten rumors right before, I am not too surprised by this information as there is no real reason to use an AMD CPU other than their APUs, which should give it a second GPU, could come in very handy, especially with physics.

Cipherr

Go ahead and bail out, the whole lot of you. Whatev's.

I buy consoles for their exclusives and do the majority of my gaming on PC. I wont say its the best way, but it works, and it keeps me from having a meltdown if next gen turns out to be a minor step to keep costs in line instead of a leap.

Just give me the games.

Elginer

If true, then it does seem to be a system with 2 gbs if ram which is weak sauce among the already rumored specs. if anything this will be cheap to.make and Sony.needs that at themoment but what a disappointing ass system.

I will be outraged if Sony bring out a sensibly specced and priced console that doesn't lose them billions of dollars.

I've spent so long trolling Nintendo about doing exactly the same thing i'm going to have to re evaluate my life.

How could you do this to me Sony!!!! whhyyyyyyyy!!!!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"Our contacts in the development community seem divided on what the box can actually deliver in terms of performance."

They are presenting it that way, not me. Fudzilla is a news site and have gotten rumors right before, I am not too surprised by this information as there is no real reason to use an AMD CPU other than their APUs, which should give it a second GPU, could come in very handy, especially with physics.

It's a rather shallow attempt to avoid linking to IGN, I think. If you prefer to think it's coincidence that they print the exact same information just after IGN, that's fair enough, but I think it's fairly clear where they got their information from :)

Okey fuck that shit. Where are the Sony 16 core rumors like next Xbox rumors has. That was not the first time I heard Microsoft going balls deep next gen and nintedo and Sony holding back.

Maybe for the better ps4 and wiiu have 30 fps versions and the 720 can have the 60fps version.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Maybe it is what it is because Sony also is bringing a tablet-controller?

----

Could we have a repeat of the 2000-2005 generation with respects to console performance out of the three manufacturers?

z0m3le

Banned
It's a rather shallow attempt to avoid linking to IGN, I think. If you prefer to think it's coincidence that they print the exact same information just after IGN, that's fair enough, but I think it's fairly clear where they got their information from :)

IGN also sourced Fudzilla on their Xbox 3 rumor a couple months ago, so Fudzilla likely does use some of the same contacts, but it also means that they probably did check their own contacts for this article, and given that fudzilla did give a new contact; I think this rumor does stand on it's own, especially given the developer quote.

Oh also Fudzilla is a european site, posting on the 5th there could very well be the 4th here.

Maybe it is what it is because Sony also is bringing a tablet-controller?
This is likely, given that even the Xbox 720 has a tablet controller (also was reported on fudzilla a couple months ago, I do use it as a regular news source)

pramath

Banned
Those desktop parts can run UE3.0 titles at 1080p/60fps. Still waiting to hear news of now-gen Wii U ports running with those settings. Or anything at all, really.

I still don't think the rumors have much substance though. Anything going into the PS4 is going to be a custom part and not OTC PC hardware.

Isn't Darksiders 2 confirmed to be running at 1080p/60fps on the Wii U?

z0m3le

Banned
Isn't Darksiders 2 confirmed to be running at 1080p/60fps on the Wii U?

No, last I heard, it will be identical to the PS360 versions, though that could change between release of DS2 and launch of the Wii U (5months given the November 18th rumor floating around.)

Wow didn't realize Fudzilla aped IGN completely right down to clock speed, then threw in a BS developer qoute.

And this article is from April 5.

Really not even worth discussing LOL.

Yeah, and the worst part is the BS developer quote. They could've been more subtle, lol.

The problem is if you have a real expensive and powerfull console you need at least 1 competitor with the same good hardware. Otherwise you end up being alienated by developers and get games looking like the ones on 720/Wii-U but you paid a hefty price tag for that. I admit a few developers will go the long route and really put effort in your console but with Sony not doing so great that seems to be a risky business.

So team up with Wii-U (spec wise) or with 720 but don't go under/over too much.

jono51

Banned
So, what if the rumours about MS "going crazy" next gen are just relative to Sony's machine? I mean, it wouldn't be too hard for MS to one-up them and appear crazy if these ps4 specs are to be believed (a quad core, 7850 & 3/4gb ram would easily do it).

Also, a lot of the rumours seem to be pointing to the ps4 being less powerful than 720. Does this mean Sony have their own gimmick to make up for the power difference a la kinect?

The gpu would be really disappointing considering that we keep on hearing that it will have a southern islands gpu.

The 7670 isn't a real southern islands chip, just a shitty re-brand of an older architecture.

So, what if the rumours about MS "going crazy" next gen are just relative to Sony's machine? I mean, it wouldn't be too hard for MS to one-up them and appear crazy if these ps4 specs are to be believed (a quad core, 7850 & 3/4gb ram would easily do it).

Also, a lot of the rumours seem to be pointing to the ps4 being less powerful than 720. Does this mean Sony have their own gimmick to make up for the power difference a la kinect?

any one that think next gen going to be a big jump in for a let down just look at top end pc game right now not that much better

MS Xboxing them self out of next gen and then have game focusing kinect casuals with top end should be funny

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
IGN also sourced Fudzilla on their Xbox 3 rumor a couple months ago, so Fudzilla likely does use some of the same contacts, but it also means that they probably did check their own contacts for this article, and given that fudzilla did give a new contact; I think this rumor does stand on it's own, especially given the developer quote.

Oh also Fudzilla is a european site, posting on the 5th there could very well be the 4th here.

It would have been early morning of the fifth in the US. It was posted several hours after the IGN article was posted here.

And the author seems to have a thing about dancing around directly citing sources in order to make it appear as if Fudzilla magicked upon information itself. Look at his recent Kinect article here for example: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26689-next-kinect-to-identify-posture--voice-tone. Clearly taken from the MCV interview with Kudo Tsunoda, but he doesn't even mention Tsunoda in his article, let alone MCV... Looking through his article history he's done the same with numerous other rumour reports.

People can judge for themselves, but I certainly wouldn't be definitive about it being a corroborative report.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Perhaps I'm getting old but I'm really not that bothered, specs seem to be a pretty good improvement over current consoles to me, look at like stuff like Rage, KZ2/3, Gears 3, Uncharted etc, it's stunning what they can pull off on old tech, consoles are a closed platform, I have no doubt in my mind we will be stunned next gen also.

z0m3le

Banned
It would have been early morning of the fifth in the US. It was posted several hours after the IGN article was posted here.

And the author seems to have a thing about dancing around directly citing sources in order to make it appear as if Fudzilla magicked upon information itself. Look at his recent Kinect article here for example: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26689-next-kinect-to-identify-posture--voice-tone. Clearly taken from the MCV interview with Kudo Tsunoda, but he doesn't even mention Tsunoda in his article, let alone MCV... Looking through his article history he's done the same with numerous other rumour reports.

People can judge for themselves, but I certainly wouldn't be definitive about it being a corroborative report.

Well, it still has some new information and a (granted anonymous) developer quote.

As for the guy who posted above, I only see 8 regular Wii U speculation thread posters in here, I am one of them, but it doesn't mean that this information isn't true, it should be looked at as a rumor, definitely not a fact, but Sony has been losing ~5Billion dollars a year for the past 3 years, and is in debt, so making another PS3 isn't really in the cards, investors certainly wouldn't be "for it"

z0m3le

Banned
On the brightside, unlike latest Wii U rumors... Ps4 is not weaker than current gen, so be thankful for that

Heh

lol Wii U rumors started out more powerful than current gen too, give it time, some developer who doesn't know how to port their engine to the system will call it inferior too, especially when they have that AMD CPU road block, CPU wise, the engines are built around IBM architecture right now, and I can imagine that same Wii U developer will be picking his ear with this system too.

Not sure how accurate it is, but Fudzilla is a pretty reliable source of information. Also does shine a lot of light on why a console would go with an AMD CPU.

Is this a joke. Fudzilla is a terrible source of information. They get almost every gpu "scoop" wrong.

Another thing...

For a low end desktop pc with occasional gaming needs, the A8 APU is ok.

For a Game console? IDK...

I got an A8 3850 so i know what im talking about... Just to let you know... the slowest i3 from Intel beats it performance wise...

If Sony revamp their online service and store and make small team development and digital distribution their main focus for the next gen, it could be just as exciting as a box that has a lot more power and can do even better large-scale big-budget games. For me, anyway. So, not concerned about what the hardware is capable of technically until I see the whole package and what style of play experiences they want to focus on.

The obvious alternative would be that the information is actually, you know, true.

But all this going bonkers over rumors is silly. Even if they turn out to be true, raw hardware power is not everything, far from it. If we had the right specs, we would still know only one half of the story.

I find it exceptionally interesting that the Wii U anonymous reports that it was going to be less powerful than we thought are unquestioningly accepted by GAF, but reports on the PS4 which contain precisely the same amount of evidence are met with widespread mockery and doubt.

A rather interesting reflection of GAF's psyche, I feel. :)

I find it exceptionally interesting that the Wii U anonymous reports that it was going to be less powerful than we thought are unquestioningly accepted by GAF, but reports on the PS4 which contain precisely the same amount of evidence are met with widespread mockery and doubt.

Uhh... feels more like a shadow of how things have gone down quite recently. Not at all interesting.

Fudzilla is known trash. Just ask anyone who follows ati/nvidia news.

Medalion

Banned

Misery loves company

16 core console future ftw

I find it exceptionally interesting that the Wii U anonymous reports that it was going to be less powerful than we thought are unquestioningly accepted by GAF, but reports on the PS4 which contain precis/quoely the same amount of evidence are met with widespread mockery and doubt.

Wii U reports were not anonymous, those claims were made by specific, named developers.

And it's not so hard to understand why certain people have more trouble accepting those reports about the platform holder whole last home and two last portable consoles came out very powerful, compared to the one whose last home and two last portable consoles came out rather weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom