• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Sober

Oh, definitely excited now. I only played TW2 once through with Roche and put it down. Didn't try Dark Mode or anything, but I'd definitely at least replay with the Iorveth path this time. Am I missing much going straight from day 1 TW2 to EE?

That guy is so fucking loud, that was like the only thing my friend heard when I was chatting to him while playing. Just heard that blast through my headset into the mic.

Shahadan

Yay screenshot time !

9rgMO.jpg

PMh56.jpg

I wish I could experience it for the first time again *_*

Is this better than Skyrim? Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls game i played, and while i liked it it ended up getting repetitive or buggy too quickly and after 20 hours i stopped, (I know i barely scratched the surface)

How does this compare?

Is this better than Skyrim? Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls game i played, and while i liked it it ended up getting repetitive or buggy too quickly and after 20 hours i stopped, (I know i barely scratched the surface)

How does this compare?

20 hours is 19 more hours then you need to see everything skyrim has to offer. Rest is rinse and repeat.

This is a much better game in my opinion in pretty much every way. To be fair and balanced, I do give the edge alphabetically to skyrim which comes out just ahead of the witcher.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

How does this compare?

Even though they're medieval RPGs, they're both very different games. The Witcher 2 has none of the true sandbox elements of The Elder Scrolls. It steers a bit more towards Mass Effect in that regard: conversation and story focused. The game is divided into acts, and each act is a hub of sorts, featuring a town, exporable area, secrets, characters, etc. All plot arcs of that act take place within that hub, and once the act is over you move on to a new one.

It's more compartmentalised, but as a result has far less aimless wandering. It's a denser game world with stronger, cinematic driven conversations and quests. It doesn't stretch the same repetitive mechanics over claims of hundreds of hours of gameplay, instead drawing you into it's engaging and interactive questing and story.

If you want something more focused and methodical than Skyrim, I recommend it.

How does this compare?

It's less open world, the story is much tighter, the themes more mature. Better world building as well, IMO.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

How does this compare?

it's like Mass Effect with Red Dead Redemption mature narrative but with choices that matter A LOT and with no filler.

edit: beaten

dc89

It's a stunning game, I have it on PC. Still not finished it mind you, it's at the top of my to do list.

360 owners are in for a real treat.

Card Boy

Banned
it's like Mass Effect with Red Dead Redemption mature narrative but with choices that matter A LOT and with no filler.

edit: beaten

Just on this point I love how choices in the Witcher games often dont have immediate obvious ramifications and manifest themselves later on in the game.

I just follow what Witchers do in the books, just go neutral. Even neutralality has a price.

Fuck that blue and red paragon/renegade system in Mass Effect.

Shahadan

On that note I really liked how most of people in this game aren't either good or evil. The nicest npc is probably an asshole, and the worst bastard have his reasons. You never know who to trust.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just on this point I love how choices in the Witcher games often dont have immediate obvious ramifications and manifest themselves later on in the game.

I just follow what Witchers do in the books, just go neutral. Even neutralality has a price.

Fuck that blue and red paragon/renegade system in Mass Effect.

Yeah. Mass Effect is more about role playing as a specific character type. Shepard's personality is supposed to be somewhat of a blank slate. You can play as the heroic friend to all, or the bad cop renegade who always gets the job done. It's binary, but how the games are built.

In The Witcher, though you can chose what to say, Geralt is still a character with his own history, thoughts, feelings and relationships. In many ways you guide the story around Geralt rather than guide Geralt himself. As a result the decisions you make in the game are far less about "Would you like to be good cop or bad cop?", and more "Will you take the path on the right, or the path on the left?". Rarely, if ever, is there are clear personality specific road to take. It's simply a collective of situations with varied outcomes based on your choices, neither good nor bad, and ramifications you have to live with.

U2NUMB

I am seriously considering this on the 360.. only thing holding me back is I have heard the game is super tough and right now I do not have a ton of time to apply towards just one game.

Can anyone here confirm that this game is super tough to get though? I would there be a setting that allows an easier play though if possible.

I am super interested in it though..

subversus

I am seriously considering this on the 360.. only thing holding me back is I have heard the game is super tough and right now I do not have a ton of time to apply towards just one game.

Can anyone here confirm that this game is super tough to get though? I would there be a setting that allows an easier play though if possible.

they ironed out difficulty curve, now it's starts relatively easy...

subversus

it didn't have a tutorial so people were doing it wrong.

but it wasn't easy, that's for sure.

EatChildren

Over time the patches really ironed out the initial difficulty spike. It starts much easier and more forgiving. Even then after about a third through the game your skills are so much higher than you started that the game's difficulty drops dramatically, outside of weird spikes against certain bosses and enemies. Most of which have been fixed, apparently.

The main thing with the combat is to not play it like a wild hack and slash. It's very methodical. Defend, look for openings, and for the love of whores make use of your signs and equipment. You have people run into a pack of enemies like idiots, and find themselves totally surrounded taking damage from all sides, the complaining the game is too hard. Play smart, and it's fine.

Over time the patches really ironed out the initial difficulty spike. It starts much easier and more forgiving. Even then after about a third through the game your skills are so much higher than you started that the game's difficulty drops dramatically, outside of weird spikes against certain bosses and enemies. Most of which have been fixed, apparently.

The main thing with the combat is to not play it like a wild hack and slash. It's very methodical. Defend, look for openings, and for the love of whores make use of your signs and equipment. You have people run into a pack of enemies like idiots, and find themselves totally surrounded taking damage from all sides, the complaining the game is too hard. Play smart, and it's fine.

And dodge. A lot. Especially on Dark Mode. The +100% and 200% dodge distance abilities in the Swordmanship tree are critical.

Zeliard

I've never played the game in Dark Mode; quite curious to see what that's like, especially with all the other changes. I actually never played it past most of those patches, even the earlier ones that fixed Quen so it wasn't the most newbish, broken thing ever made. I refused to touch Quen because it was so laughable. Glad they saw fit to change that up.

Chinner

Banned
hello i am a potential customer to this new game franchise and i am also a large fan of mass effect. i understand this game has dialogue, but is it colour-coded so that i know whats good and bad?

Zeliard

And use alchemy. I remember some people who complained about combat difficulty just ignoring that stuff wholesale. It's tremendously useful and people should take advantage of those options, along with other forms of crafting.

I like that they fixed alchemy so you can make more than one item at a time in the menu. That got a bit annoying.

And lol, just saw that they nerfed Quen even further in the EE patch.

Quen Sign has been significantly nerfed. It now wears off after one or two hits.

That's a welcome development. Nublets am cry.

subversus

hello i am a potential customer to this new game franchise and i am also a large fan of mass effect. i understand this game has dialogue, but is it colour-coded so that i know whats good and bad?

just follow your penis heart, Chinner.

injurai

Banned
I'm amazed how much work they have put into this game post release.

1.1 - They removed DRM in complete rebellion to Atari.

1.2 - Balanced gameplay issues and common complaints.

1.3 - Adds more fan requests, fixes difficulty issues with prologue and adds dlc for free.

2.0 - Adds more content than W1 EE did, Arena, Dark mode, tutorial, in game content.

EE - Brings game to console brethren, And adds even MORE content to the PC players all for free.

Probably some of the greatest fan service I have seen in recent years.

Moaradin

I've been itching so hard to play it again the last few months, but I wanted to wait until the Enhanced Edition comes out. Only a few more days!

Solo

This game is SO 2011

/Master race snob who banged Triss 11 months before console heathens and at a higher resolution and framerate to boot

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
That's a welcome development. Nublets am cry.

My first playthrough was with most of my talents in the sword tree and I thought it was very fun. My second one involved magic, and my god I thought it was so fucking boring. Invuln myself up and run around like a fool.

Definitely going for a more sword/alch role for my third.

Dries

1.3 - Adds more fan requests, fixes difficulty issues with prologue and adds dlc for free.

2.0 - Adds more content than W1 EE did, Arena, Dark mode, tutorial, in game content.

EE - Brings game to console brethren, And adds even MORE content to the PC players all for free.

This is why I love CD Projekt.

Zeliard

My first playthrough was with most of my talents in the sword tree and I thought it was very fun. My second one involved magic, and my god I thought it was so fucking boring. Invuln myself up and run around like a fool.

Definitely going for a more sword/alch role for my third.

I put my points most heavily - almost exclusively - into Alchemy, along with Witcher training. Alchemy is just massively useful (especially stuff like increasing bomb/trap damage and oil effectiveness), and I found crafting to be a lot of fun. Gotta love the people who downloaded those mods that completely removed the weight limit, heh. Talk about unbalancing your game.

Magic tree I ignored, though I did use the basic Yrden quite often. Now that stuff has been rebalanced it might be fun to check out that tree more. I actually never really put points into Swordsmanship either, because the basic roll-and-thrust and the Arkham Asylum-like bouncing from enemy-to-enemy was so effective even on Hard. With oils and crafted equipment you could be a destructive machine out there without ever putting points into Swordsmanship.

Though I imagine with Dark Mode I'll have to vary things up a bit more.

Even though they're medieval RPGs, they're both very different games. The Witcher 2 has none of the true sandbox elements of The Elder Scrolls. It steers a bit more towards Mass Effect in that regard: conversation and story focused. The game is divided into acts, and each act is a hub of sorts, featuring a town, exporable area, secrets, characters, etc. All plot arcs of that act take place within that hub, and once the act is over you move on to a new one.

It's more compartmentalised, but as a result has far less aimless wandering. It's a denser game world with stronger, cinematic driven conversations and quests. It doesn't stretch the same repetitive mechanics over claims of hundreds of hours of gameplay, instead drawing you into it's engaging and interactive questing and story.

If you want something more focused and methodical than Skyrim, I recommend it.

EXACTLY what i needed to hear. im not a fan of open world RPGs - ill pick this up then. Cheers mate.

Zeliard

CD Projekt is awesome. They also released a significant Enhanced Edition for Witcher 1 basically out of nowhere. They weren't even working on a console version in that case. They just did it because they wanted to improve their (already strong) game, and released it for free to existing owners.

Granted that sort of thing gets their game back in the spotlight, so it was also good for them from a business standpoint, but it's also the rare sort of significant post-release support that you almost never see.

They shit on most other companies from up on high.

Thrakier

EXACTLY what i needed to hear. im not a fan of open world RPGs - ill pick this up then. Cheers mate.

Imo TW2 is way better than any of those Sykrim-y games. One could say it kinda brings the best of both worlds, j-rpg and w-rpg, together. Strong, character driven story focus, open but not too open, but the seriousness and the style of w-rpgs. It's just great. It has heart and a soul.

I kinda hate all those games that "let you make your own story". To me they always feel kinda lazy and soulless.

I'll wait for reviews and videos.

I need information about framerate, loading times, (possible) crashes, bugs, etc.

It's an RPG so there have to be problems ;)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've had this on Amazon preorder since last August (when I thought it was coming out in November). This and DD are going to make this spring awesome

EatChildren

When Roche isn't on all fours gobbling on the Empire's junk he's copping a serving from Geralt for being an irrational agro cunt.

Top Bottom