• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

Dabanton

Not even a gloat post but an observation.

Anyone remember when people used to seriously shit on this game and laugh at the idea that R* could deliver? I can't even be assed to go back and find the posts atm as there would be too many. But as has been proved time and time again patience is a virtue. Especially when it comes to games. A lot of people were kneejerking and screaming all sorts of shit before they'd even seen the game in action.

Even the fact that it was coming from R* who this gen have improved immeasurably with each game they've released was not enough to quell the know it alls.

I see the same behaviour in the Crysis 3 thread i have a feeling Crytek will be stuffing crow down the same throats next year.

Dilly

Banned
Still the same for me. I'm sure it's going to be a great game, not sure if it's going to be a great Max Payne game.

Complaints about Crysis 2 are legit in my opinion.

Sethos

Banned

Anyone remember when people used to seriously shit on this game and laugh at the idea that R* could deliver? I can't even be assed to go back and find the posts atm as there would be too many. But as has been proved time and time again patience is a virtue. Especially when it comes to games. A lot of people were kneejerking and screaming all sorts of shit before they'd even seen the game in action.

Even the fact that it was coming from R* who this gen have improved immeasurably with each game they've released was not enough to quell the know it alls.

I see the same behaviour in the Crysis 3 thread i have a feeling Crytek will be stuffing crow down the same throats next year.

This is NeoGaf, where knee-jerk reactions and complaining runs rampant.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
SO FUCKING HYPED FOR THIS!!!

MAX FUCKING PAYNE IS FINALLY BAAAAAACK AND BETTER THAN EVER WHHOOHOOO!!!!1!!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I agree completely. I was a bit skeptical myself at first but ever since we got details and footage I've been 100% on board. What they've done with the shooting in this game is mind blowing.

I'm also really glad that you mentioned some of the BS in the Crysis 3 thread, especially the revisionist history regarding Crysis 2.

jet1911

Just look at this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366078&highlight=max+payne+3

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

KuGsj.gif
Holy crap. That's insane.

That very well may have been the worse trailer I've ever seen. It did such a massive disservice to the game.

How could anyone approve that? Complete garbage, and nothing else.

Good thing the game will be great.

derFeef

Hmm, not too fond of the commercial. Most of the scenes are just a mess to look at. The game looks great and I have seen scenes that would fit better for a trailer.

That very well may have been the worse trailer I've ever seen. It did such a massive disservice to the game.

How could anyone approve that? Complete garbage, and nothing else.

Good thing the game will be great.

Hmm, not too fond of the commercial. Most of the scenes are just a mess to look at. The game looks great and I have seen scenes that would fit better for a trailer.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

That was so stylish and moody. I loved it. Plus, that is an intriguing sounding song. And scenes of fucked up Max are great.

The increasing delay btw console and pc versions is getting annoying, it's like they're pushing you to give up and buy PS3 or 360 version first. It was like that with Arkham City, and now this. Always played the MP series on PC, but couldn't wait here and opted for 360 version + double dipping with PC superior version.

Why can't they just manage to release all versions at the same time?! I mean, how hard is that really?!

derFeef

The increasing delay btw console and pc versions is getting annoying, it's like they're pushing you to give up and buy PS3 or 360 version first. It was like that with Arkham City, and now this. Always played the MP series on PC, but couldn't wait here and opted for 360 version + double dipping with PC superior version.

Why can't they just manage to release all versions at the same time?! I mean, how hard is that really?!

Yeah it's really weird, the wait is going to be painful with all of you guys playing already.

Are we watching the same trailer? It's not moody at all. It's just "HEY LOOK WE GOT BULLETS LOOK AT THESE GUNS BAM BAM SHATTER GLASS WHO CARES WHO MAX IS OH AND BAD UNFITTING MUSIC."

pakkit

Banned
Rockstar just uploaded the commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPc9LhKA5C4

The song is called "Tears" by L.A. noise band HEALTH. Apparently R* got a full-on soundtrack to really make the game parallel to movies.

Are we watching the same trailer? It's not moody at all. It's just "HEY LOOK WE GOT BULLETS LOOK AT THESE GUNS BAM BAM SHATTER GLASS WHO CARES WHO MAX IS OH AND BAD UNFITTING MUSIC."
It's a TV commercial, how in depth do you really expect it to go?

It's a one minute TV commercial. And I think it accomplishes what it needs to. Scenes of bullet time, massive carnage, rich pricks, and depressing shots of drunk vomiting Max.

I thought the song was a great choice. Dissonant, but it works

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I thought the editing for the trailer was pretty mediocre. And the scanlines look ridiculous.

I'm hyped for the game, but the vid docs did far more to turn me on than that.

Fjordson

It's just "HEY LOOK WE GOT BULLETS LOOK AT THESE GUNS BAM BAM SHATTER GLASS."
So it's a Max Payne game. Sweet.

Not sure a one minute ESPN spot is the best place to explore Max as a character or the game's plot. As for the music, I think it's pretty great.

To be honest, I don't really think this is aimed at us anyways. We get what Max Payne is, we already know this is from "THE MAKERS OF GRAND THEFT AUTO". My brother only plays 3-4 games a year: NBA 2K, Call of Duty, and just a few others. This is probably for someone like him, considering he loved GTA IV and Red Dead.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Yeah... that's a damn poor commercial, especially coming from Rockstar. Limited bullet ballet without any context.

I understand they can't show bullet impacts because of the gore effects, so, why not fall back on your story to fill in the blanks? Maybe they have no confidence in it? "Just throw in a woman dancing in a miniskirt for the GTA kids, and pacify the Payne noir fanbase with a darkly lit hangover clip!"

Worrisome.

Yamibito

Yeah... that's a damn poor commercial, especially coming from Rockstar. Limited bullet ballet without any context.

I understand they can't show bullet impacts because of the gore effects, so, why not fall back on your story to fill in the blanks? Maybe they have no confidence in it? "Just throw in a woman dancing in a miniskirt for the GTA kids, and pacify the Payne noir fanbase with a darkly lit hangover clip!"

Worrisome.

Reading too much into it.

The soundtrack is getting me seriously hyped, HEALTH are my favourite band along with Tobacco and Death Grips- FUCK can't wait for this game.

The wait for the PC version is going to be hard. :(

Gamefly console version then buy PC!

So it's a Max Payne game. Sweet.

Not sure a one minute ESPN spot is the best place to explore Max as a character or the game's plot. As for the music, I think it's pretty great.

A majority of Call of Duty players are watching ESPN. It's smart if you ask me. I mean...they don't have to try and sell the game to us.

kaskade

That commercial is awesome. Love the song. The soundtrack is really sounding solid so far. The song from the second trailer was great as well.

I love you Rockstar.

Loxley

I loved the commercial, even though the line about MP3 coming "from the makers of GTA and RDR" isn't strictly true ("From the makers of Bully" would be more accurate, but whatever, doesn't have the same marketing pull to it I guess :p).

Fuck, just over 3 weeks to go, hyyyyppeddd.

I loved the commercial, even though the line about MP3 coming "from the makers of GTA and RDR" isn't strictly true ("From the makers of Bully" would be more accurate, but whatever, doesn't have the same marketing pull to it I guess :p).

Max Payne 3 is a Rockstar Studios production, not just one studio. Plus every game that comes out has the same group of people at the top overlooking it, regardless of which studio puts it out.

Fjordson

That's always a little hazy with their games, but R* seems to have (at least with this gen) a main creative force that is on all of their projects. Dan Houser writing, Sam Houser and Leslie Benzies as producers, Rob Nelson with art, etc.

I'd love to get more insight into their process and the Houser brothers one day. R* is so damn secretive.

I think some of you people are forgetting that they ALREADY ran a story trailer as a pre-order commercial for like 6 weeks. This commercial is the one that draws in the "3 games a year" guys, and the CoD/BF/HALO bros.
Exactly. Like I said above, I guarantee this will be one of the few games my brother buys this year based on the flashy commercial and the R* name.

zkylon

zkylewd
Didn't love the trailer, but my hype's still through the roof. What I need is a simple 10 minute unedited playthrough.

Cheapest place to preorder on PC is still Steam at $45, right?

Top Bottom