• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light un-confirmed for Wii U

zroid

Banned
Mock/lock, etc. if old

Digitalspy reports that the previously announced Wii U version of Metro: Last Light is currently not in development, but a port "could" still happen.

Metro: Last Light is no longer a confirmed Wii U title.

Global brand manager Mark Madsen said that while the port "could" still happen, it would be "correct" to say that it is no longer confirmed for the system.

"If it does happen, it won't sim-ship with the other SKUs, but if the opportunity arises we'll take a look at it."

Madsen also denied that Metro: Last Light's appearance during Wii U's third-party showreel at Nintendo's press conference at E3 last year was too premature.

"As we got along in the development process, we just really wanted to focus on what we knew, focus on PS3, 360 and PC," he explained.

(via NintendoLife)

OnPoint

I can't wait til next week when we have a list of games confirmed, and threads like these will decrease in number.

This is either going to be a long 7 days, or a fun 7 days.

18-Volt

Third parties are already abandoning the Wii U and it's not even out yet!

Just like 3DS. We have lost My Garden, Assassin's Creed Legacy and Saints Row Drive By before even system came out.

Good riddance. Nintendo doesn't need western 3rd party. Only Japanese 3rd party games go well with Nintendo systems. Yep, just like 3DS.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well that's disappointing... But I still need to catch up on the first Metro so I don't really know if I would be even interested in a sequel or not yet.

Pociask

THQ seems kind of nuts with this decision. They have a limited budget, they need to choose a focus, I get that.

So, go for the crowded space of the 360/PS3, or get in on the launch of the next generation?
Maybe they're thinking built in audience? I don't know - I do know Red Steel 1 ended up a million seller, and it wasn't apparently that good a game. I'd think you'd want to be the next Red Steel, and not the next Asura's Wrath, for example.

zroid

Banned
THQ seems kind of nuts with this decision. They have a limited budget, they need to choose a focus, I get that.

So, go for the crowded space of the 360/PS3, or get in on the launch of the next generation?
Maybe they're thinking built in audience? I don't know - I do know Red Steel 1 ended up a million seller, and it wasn't apparently that good a game. I'd think you'd want to be the next Red Steel, and not the next Asura's Wrath, for example.

I guess the difference here is that it wouldn't have been exclusive to Wii U, so the novelty effect that aided Red Steel would be diminished. Unless THQ marketed any new features hard (and, clearly they aren't in a position to do that right now), it likely would not have made a huge impact on Wii U.

Dibbz

I like how gaf thinks not on Wii-U equals, must be using UE4. Uncharted 4 not on Wii U, gotta be on dat der UE4 amiright.

Kyou

Nintendo: Do you want to be in this studio roll during our conference
THQ: YES
*months later*
THQ: We promised what?

Ardenyal

Wii U just had too much power and they felt sorry they were underutilizing the platform, i'm sure that's what it was.

ZenaxPure

ITT: People missing all the sarcasm because of the Wii U/UE4 thread.

So, go for the crowded space of the 360/PS3, or get in on the launch of the next generation? Maybe they're thinking built in audience? I don't know - I do know Red Steel 1 ended up a million seller, and it wasn't apparently that good a game. I'd think you'd want to be the next Red Steel, and not the next Asura's Wrath, for example.

Different situation here, though. Wii U is already confirmed to have a bunch of ports (that people care about) from PS3/360 while the Wii had nothing but Red Steel for that third party "hardcore" space. Heck, unless it's already been denied somewhere (can't recall off the top of my head) it's probably likely that the next CoD game will end up on Wii U around launch. Metro never really had a chance to be the Wii U's "Red Steel" really.

zroid

Banned
Wii U already losing support is very bad news :(

Maybe. All things considered, it's hard to say whether it's a Wii U problem or a THQ problem, and I'm leaning towards the latter.

I guess we'll find out the true third party support next week.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
They probably can't afford to release it on another platform, especially banking on a platform that won't have as large of an install base as the other 3.

This doesn't effect me much though, I wasn't really interested in the title to begin with.

GJS

No one knows how to develop for the wiiU well enough without spending more money or sacrificing quality.

Hopefully a port will happen eventually. I seem to remember an interview (on eurogamer maybe) with someone from 4A saying it took only weeks to port 2033 from PC to 360.

I can only hope this will be the case for Wii U, although I know not how hard a job that would be.

Top Bottom