• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light un-confirmed for Wii U

Aselith

Different situation here, though. Wii U is already confirmed to have a bunch of ports (that people care about) from PS3/360 while the Wii had nothing but Red Steel for that third party "hardcore" space. Heck, unless it's already been denied somewhere (can't recall off the top of my head) it's probably likely that the next CoD game will end up on Wii U around launch. Metro never really had a chance to be the Wii U's "Red Steel" really.

Not really. There's ALWAYS a post-launch drought. It makes any game at or near release attractive. This would have sold a lot of units just based on that.

Xav

Note to publishers, I don't think Wii U owners are going to be looking to play ports on their brand new system. It Namco makes a Super Soulcalibur V and does a Wii U port with Link in it then I could see that being one of the few ports to see success on Wii U.

ZenaxPure

Not really. There's ALWAYS a post-launch drought. It makes any game at or near release attractive. This would have sold a lot of units just based on that.

Ah yeah, I was saying that under the impression that it would be a launch title without thinking that it got delayed into 2013. That alone would have stopped it from being a "Red Steel" at the least since it wouldn't have been a launch title.

Mileena

Banned
Note to publishers, I don't think Wii U owners are going to be looking to play ports on their brand new system. It Namco makes a Super Soulcalibur V and does a Wii U port with Link in it then I could see that being one of the few ports to see success on Wii U.
And people wonder why third parties don't make games on Nintendo systems!

Something tells me that when PS4 and Xbox 3 are released, that's when 3rd party support will decrease when it comes to multiplatform games. Yes, WiiU is getting Darksiders, Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon, etc., but those are all current gen games. I guess it makes sense for these companies to release games on the WiiU considering the tech is about the same/a bump above current consoles.

gcubed

well, thats going to suck... since thats mainly what it will be getting from non first party studios

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Here we go...

"Nintendo don't need third parties, anyway!"

Yes, they do. Look at the Wii.

Pociask

I guess the difference here is that it wouldn't have been exclusive to Wii U, so the novelty effect that aided Red Steel would be diminished. Unless THQ marketed any new features hard (and, clearly they aren't in a position to do that right now), it likely would not have made a huge impact on Wii U.

I was saying it would be exclusive to Wii U, since they could have chosen to prioritize that over the PS3/360 - even if they weren't unique due to other core games released, it'd still be a less crowded field than the 360/PS3 release landscape. Games that would be completely overlooked can shine otherwise in this period (see - Ghost Recon, Shadow Wars for a more recent example).

zroid

Banned
I was saying it would be exclusive to Wii U, since they could have chosen to prioritize that over the PS3/360 - even if they weren't unique due to other core games released, it'd still be a less crowded field than the 360/PS3 release landscape. Games that would be completely overlooked can shine otherwise in this period (see - Ghost Recon, Shadow Wars for a more recent example).

hmm perhaps, although the Wii U launch audience might be a hard sell on a game like M:LL. But, who knows.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
If I were in charge, I'd make the game a Wii U console exclusive. The first game bombed on the 360... it was completely missing from any list in March '10 NPD, placing it no higher than 100k, with innuendo suggesting <50k. THQ later thanked the PC market for making the game a success.

So I can't imagine any (realistic) expectations for the console versions being over 500k worldwide. It's not exactly out of reach for a near-launch title.

Xav

Nintendo's biggest strength is also it's biggest weakness, they make great games. The problem however is not many people notice this but our wonderful games industry is actually pretty narrow minded and backwards in many ways. Everyone just wants to join the graphical race to realism and we just pretend things like innovation matter yet the industry basically IS Call of Duty, look at how much it sells and look at how games all move out of the way to dodge the COD yearly juggernaut.

Nintendo however don't pretend innovation matter, they actually put some effort in and when they present something like the Wii to the industry everyone shits themselves, calls the system underpowered, make horrible games for the Wii remote and basically come across as an industry who can't make a game unless the system has dual analog sticks.

Look at PS2 sales and it's third party support, now look at Wii sales and it's 3rd party support. If you're a developer/publisher how the fuck is a system like the Wii with a user base reaching 100 million NOT on your radar? Oh but Xav the Wii audience is different, it's just a bunch of kids and old people playing it, listen NO ONE bothered with the Wii outside of Nintendo.
You make two crappy Force Unleashed games but you can't even attempt the full on light sabre game we all wanted on the Wii when we first saw the Wii remote? That basically sums up the attitude these 3rd parties have.

So here we go again with the Wii U and in all honesty I couldn't care less if the port with a map on the bottom screen don't sell or gets cancelled. Games are expensive and maybe I don't want to support your B team effort on a Nintendo system.
You should be thinking what can we do with the Wii U rather than what can we do for it. You can write all you want about how much the industry is worth these days but I for one miss the old days where it was all about the games and not people complaining about specs.

The ability to make great games should be determined by vision, not hardware. The greatest puzzle game of all time ran on a system that had a green screen with no backlight.

So, months of dancing on THQ's (near)corpse on GAF, but when they say they're cutting this it can't possibly be anything to do with their situation and must be a Nintendo issue?

B.O.O.M

3rd party games announced for wiiu
"F#*# yeah 3rd parties are on board"

3rd parties might not bring the previously announced games
"meh who cares for them anyways?"

Sour Grapes

sp3000

Nobody on Wii U was going to buy this game anyway since all that sells is Nintendo first party games and Japanese trash

Look at PS2 sales and it's third party support, now look at Wii sales and it's 3rd party support. If you're a developer/publisher how the fuck is a system like the Wii with a user base reaching 100 million NOT on your radar?

Because the Wii's hardware is utter garbage that's why. Whine all you want but developers understand that far better than you do.

So here we go again with the Wii U and in all honesty I couldn't care less if the port with a map on the bottom screen don't sell or gets cancelled. Games are expensive and maybe I don't want to support your B team effort on a Nintendo system.
You should be thinking what can we do with the Wii U rather than what can we do for it. You can write all you want about how much the industry is worth these days but I for one miss the old days where it was all about the games and not people complaining about specs.

Obviously you do care judging from the butthurt undertone of your post

StuBurns

Banned
It's funny to think at one point Nintendo's console was where millions went for their FPS fun. Golden Eye sold better than OoT.

Nintendo's biggest strength is also it's biggest weakness, they make great games.

This is just an escape goat argument to say they don't want to develop for Nintendo platforms. If they REALLY wanted to bring their efforts for Nintendo systems, this wouldn't affect them at all.

zroid

Banned
Nobody on Wii U was going to buy this game anyway since all that sells is Nintendo first party games and Japanese trash

Because the Wii's hardware is utter garbage that's why. Whine all you want but developers understand that far better than you do.

Obviously you do care judging from the butthurt undertone of your post

top shelf stuff right here

boyshine

Stupid move. Metro would've been perceived as a new IP and had a position to sell as if it was a console exclusive on Wii U.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This is just an escape goat argument to say they don't want to develop for Nintendo platforms. If they REALLY wanted to bring their efforts for Nintendo systems, this wouldn't affect them at all.

It's kind of flattering to Nintendo that 3rd parties won't bother because they figure Nintendo's own games are too good to compete with. Also I would have enjoyed Metro sequel with Wiimote controls. Thankfully THQ will manage to burn itself down.

Edit: Holy shit sp3000, thanks a fuck-lot for giving me an existencial crisis.

Game-Biz

Slowly Wii U is turning into just another Nintendo-only platform.

This has been the case for the last 15 years, and I don't see this changing with the Wii U. I bought N64, the GameCube, the Wii, and I'll buy the Wii U. And lemme tell ya, I didn't buy those systems for the 3rd party support. Nintendo has notoriously been known for not having the greatest relationship with 3rd parties like Sony and now MS have.

Wii U for Nintendo games (plus the occasional good exclusive 3rd party game) + PC and/or Durango/PS4 for everything else is the way to go.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That sound like Wii U is hard to port to.

Didn't it take 5 guys five weeks to port Darksiders 2?

You know, reading into this, I expect the game to be a buggy piece of shit when it's released, they want it out ASAP to generate some cash. Sadly, the game will have a lot of potential, but thanks to THQ going under, a patch will never be released and the game will be broken forever.

TaroYamada

I think its more a Near Bankrupt Studio cant afford to shift team members to a 4th platforms development at this time

The first Metro game cost roughly 3 million to make, I know THQ is short on cash but they definitely have enough dough to port over Metro: LL if they decide to. Chances are they want to wait and see what the Wii U post-launch scene will look like and that's why the door is being left open. If Metro Last Light is a success (and it will be given the reception of the first game, but only if THQ can last that long) I'd say a Wii U port is undoubtedly in the cards.

Top Bottom