• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

thekonamicode
Member
(08-14-2012, 07:53 AM)
thekonamicode's Avatar
Can't be worse than Dragon Age 2 ...
MuddyDonut
Member
(08-14-2012, 07:54 AM)
MuddyDonut's Avatar
"I have nothing to highlight"

The Mage/Templar stuff was awful in DA2.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(08-14-2012, 07:54 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar
Well, it does fit with everything they've said about the game.
dekline
Member
(08-14-2012, 07:54 AM)
dekline's Avatar
I wonder if it's true.

After the shit that was DA2 I'm not really sure I would care anyway.
GhostWriter24
Member
(08-14-2012, 07:54 AM)
GhostWriter24's Avatar
Rabble rabble fantasy kingdom rabble rabble civil war rabble rabble band of warriors rabble rabble.
toddhunter
Member
(08-14-2012, 07:57 AM)
toddhunter's Avatar

Originally Posted by thekonamicode

Can't be worse than Dragon Age 2 ...

Want to bet?
Zabuza
Member
(08-14-2012, 07:59 AM)
Zabuza's Avatar
Dragon Age 2 OT was godlike.
Jawmuncher
(08-14-2012, 07:59 AM)
Jawmuncher's Avatar

Originally Posted by thekonamicode

Can't be worse than Dragon Age 2 ...

I still didn't mind Dragon Age 2.
My biggest gripe was that you were in that damn city (with a few other areas)
The ENTIRE game.

The characters and stuff though were good as always.
Well asde from Fenris
Aaron
Member
(08-14-2012, 07:59 AM)
Aaron's Avatar

Originally Posted by MuddyDonut

"I have nothing to highlight"

The Mage/Templar stuff was awful in DA2.

It was awful in the original Dragon Age. I'm not sure why they keep beating that drum because it's incredibly predictable and boring. It doesn't make for an epic adventure.
EmCeeGramr
i must be the devil. why else would god be trying to kill me right now
(08-14-2012, 08:00 AM)
EmCeeGramr's Avatar
Recruit Factions and People To Do a Thing: A BioWare Production
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(08-14-2012, 08:00 AM)
antitrop's Avatar

Originally Posted by toddhunter

Want to bet?

I wouldn't even know how to compare them, I stopped playing Dragon Age II after about 5 hours.
Jibbajabbawockky
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:01 AM)
Jibbajabbawockky's Avatar
Well, the blurb on the plot sounds a lot like the sort of thing you'd see on the back of the box or something.

For comparison's sake, this is what BioWare came up with and still has on their website for describing Dragon Age 2:

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

So yeah...none of the above really applied to Dragon Age 2.
Sotha Sil
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:03 AM)
Sotha Sil's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

Recruit Factions and People To Do a Thing: A BioWare Production

The only thing DA2 did right was ditching this formula. Ah well, Bioware gonna Bio.
toddhunter
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:04 AM)
toddhunter's Avatar
So I can be a mage, rogue OR warrior?

What an age we live in.
Trick_GSF
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:06 AM)
Trick_GSF's Avatar
Mike Laidlaw is calling this fake, according to the Bioware forums.
XANDER CAGE
WELCOME TO THE XANDER ZONE
(08-14-2012, 08:09 AM)
XANDER CAGE's Avatar

I have nothing to highlight

Yeah, me either honestly.
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
(08-14-2012, 08:11 AM)
Nirolak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Trick_GSF

Mike Laidlaw is calling this fake, according to the Bioware forums.

Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing any denials: https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw
Chinner
(08-14-2012, 08:11 AM)
Chinner's Avatar

Originally Posted by EmCeeGramr

Recruit Factions and People To Do a Thing: A BioWare Production

every single character is now bisexual by the way now. you can sleep with all of them!
Trick_GSF
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:14 AM)
Trick_GSF's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing any denials: https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw

Someone linked him the thread on the forums and he said :

"I think it's kind of grainy, but the text is nicely justified with good paragraph weighting. 2.5/5 for presentation."

So, he isn't denying it, but still..
Aaron
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:14 AM)
Aaron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chinner

every single character is now bisexual by the way now. you can sleep with all of them!

They're beyond bisexual and into trisexual. Innovation!
LuuKyK
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:15 AM)
LuuKyK's Avatar
Oh god there is a character named Sera.

Also, The Big Bull. Really? lol
ShockingAlberto
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:16 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar
After Dragon Age 2, I am not going to get excited until the game comes out and is amazing.

I am not holding my breath.
lastplayed
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:18 AM)
lastplayed's Avatar
Orlais has been expected for a while. We finally going to play as Cassandra, or get her as a companion at least?
TucoBenedictoPacifico
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:20 AM)
TucoBenedictoPacifico's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

I still didn't mind Dragon Age 2.
My biggest gripe was that you were in that damn city (with a few other areas)
The ENTIRE game.

Well, it's the opposite for me.
I couldn't care less to play the entire game in a single area, as far as it's reasonably detailed and diversified.
Worst offenders for me were the unacceptable amount of recycled content and what I would generally call some terribad encounter design.

EDIT: Oh, and atrocious fetch quests.
Last edited by TucoBenedictoPacifico; 08-14-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Castor Krieg
Banned
(08-14-2012, 08:21 AM)
What it should be:

-An epic tale of personal power where you as a PC imposes your will across all of Ferelden

What it will be:

-a. you kill the bad guy b. you die killing the bad guy c. your party member dies killing the bad guy
vareon
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:24 AM)
vareon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jawmuncher

I still didn't mind Dragon Age 2.
My biggest gripe was that you were in that damn city (with a few other areas)
The ENTIRE game.

The characters and stuff though were good as always.
Well asde from Fenris

It's good enough if the city itself is interesting.

It is not.
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(08-14-2012, 08:24 AM)
subversus's Avatar
the fact that they focus test the story and characters is enough for me to skip the game.

bye!
CaptainSchwann
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:33 AM)
CaptainSchwann's Avatar
Bioware might as well retcon DA2 and just come out with Dragon Age Origins 2 just to distinguish it from the previous atrocity.
Terra Firma
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:39 AM)
Terra Firma's Avatar

Originally Posted by Castor Krieg

What it should be:

-An epic tale of personal power where you as a PC imposes your will across all of Ferelden

What it will be:

-a. you kill the bad guy b. you die killing the bad guy c. your party member dies killing the bad guy

I hope it's "d. you are the bad guy."
Castor Krieg
Banned
(08-14-2012, 08:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Terra Firma

I hope it's "d. you are the bad guy."

I do not think Bioware has the writing capacity for that. Plus, it will get shot down by focus groups anyway.
HP_Wuvcraft
(08-14-2012, 08:46 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar
Reads like a fanfic. But who knows. Wouldn't surprise me if it were real.

Originally Posted by CaptainSchwann

Bioware might as well retcon DA2 and just come out with Dragon Age Origins 2 just to distinguish it from the previous atrocity.

Retcon what exactly? There have only been two games in the series.
GlassBox
Banned
(08-14-2012, 08:52 AM)
I bet you even if this is "fake", it'll still be better than whatever BioWare can eventually write up.

Seriously, the team has ZERO writing talent. The original Dragon Age was hailed as "unique" and "gritty" like "A Song of Ice and Fire for gaming". But really, it was just another human/elf/dwarf generic kingdoms, generic BioWare sidekicks, generic enemies, generic villain, add a superfluously bloody coat of paint and the most hilariously written "romance/mature/sex" scenes and there you have it.

I never played DA2, but I hear it wasn't any better. And well, Mass Effect 3...yeah..

Originally Posted by subversus

the fact that they focus test the story and characters is enough for me to skip the game.

bye!

Companies that do this deserve to be ruined.
Last edited by GlassBox; 08-14-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Goldmund
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:54 AM)
Goldmund's Avatar
Stout men and women struggle to recover candy that they dropped on the floor, it doesn't surprise me they have trouble reclaiming their nation.
HP_Wuvcraft
(08-14-2012, 08:54 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar

Originally Posted by GlassBox

I bet you even if this is "fake", it'll still be better than whatever BioWare can eventually write up.

Seriously, the team has ZERO writing talent. The original Dragon Age was hailed as "unique" and "gritty" like "A Song of Ice and Fire for gaming". But really, it was just another human/elf/dwarf generic kingdoms, generic enemies, generic villain, plus a bloody coat and the most hilariously written "romance/mature/sex" scenes.

I never played DA2, but I hear it wasn't any better. And well, Mass Effect 3...yeah..

I used to think BioWare peeps were trying to "out-ridiculous" each other with the sex scenes.

Now I know better.
ChosenPredator
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:54 AM)
ChosenPredator's Avatar
Loved the first one to death, stayed away from the 2nd one like the plague, so hoping this one is as good if not better then the first, key word, hoping.
firehawk12
Subete no aware
(08-14-2012, 08:57 AM)

Originally Posted by lastplayed

Orlais has been expected for a while. We finally going to play as Cassandra, or get her as a companion at least?

Cassandra already got her own movie! lol
GrandHarrier
Member
(08-14-2012, 08:57 AM)
GrandHarrier's Avatar
ITT: We bitch about DA2 rather than discuss the topic at hand.

On topic: Orlais is expected as is the strife caused by the war. The attack on the Chantry seems possibly? linked to the events in the DA movie. Cassandra as MC or party member seems likely.
HP_Wuvcraft
(08-14-2012, 08:58 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar
If you're not just some random dude or dudette in Cassandra's hunting party, that's a missed opportunity.

This is all moot, however, as anyone that actually likes DA3 will most likely be labeled a plant, a troll, or an idiot by MajoriGAF.

Oh, or an Enemy of Gaming. Those are always good ones.
s7evn
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:00 AM)
s7evn's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrandHarrier

ITT: We bitch about DA2 rather than discuss the topic at hand.

You're damn right! The game was just so mediocre. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as the first (that formula just clicks for some reason). Maybe I'll tire of the bioware formula if I play another one of their games.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:01 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by HP_Wuvcraft

If you're not just some random dude or dudette in Cassandra's hunting party, that's a missed opportunity.

This is all moot, however, as anyone that actually likes DA3 will most likely be labeled a plant, a troll, or an idiot by MajoriGAF.

Oh, or an Enemy of Gaming. Those are always good ones.

Ooh, are there names for the people who get on the cross immediately and with no provocation at the drop of a hat?

Because that seems useful right now.
daoster
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:07 AM)
daoster's Avatar
I thought they claimed "Hawke" was going to be this world's Shepard, and that his story wasn't finished? Or did they want to erase the taste of DA2 from everybody's mouth before going back...
HP_Wuvcraft
(08-14-2012, 09:08 AM)
HP_Wuvcraft's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Ooh, are there names for the people who get on the cross immediately and with no provocation at the drop of a hat?

Because that seems useful right now.

The Jesus reference really doesn't do it for me. Pick something less weird.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:10 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by HP_Wuvcraft

The Jesus reference really doesn't do it for me.

If you'd like to suggest something else to describe your victim complex, I'd be glad to hear it.
Edgeward
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:12 AM)
Edgeward's Avatar
I did not expect the Inquisition.

I didn't really like the Mage/Templar stuff of before but that was more because of how it was handled. I don't really need a Blight like problem again but having Darkspawn as the main antagonist would be great.

Be real swell if it took mostly in Orlais or see a great deal of it and not treat it like Harmonia in Suikoden where we see almost nothing of it yet is constantly referenced.
lastplayed
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:15 AM)
lastplayed's Avatar

Originally Posted by firehawk12

Cassandra already got her own movie! lol

Yeah, kinda feels like it might lead into DA3.

For better or wrose, the DA franchise now seems to be about mages vs the world vs blood mages vs templars.
GrandHarrier
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:23 AM)
GrandHarrier's Avatar

Originally Posted by Edgeward

I did not expect the Inquisition.

I didn't really like the Mage/Templar stuff of before but that was more because of how it was handled. I don't really need a Blight like problem again but having Darkspawn as the main antagonist would be great.

Be real swell if it took mostly in Orlais or see a great deal of it and not treat it like Harmonia in Suikoden where we see almost nothing of it yet is constantly referenced.

I see what you did there.

And I agree, there needs to be more focus on the Darkspawn. They lost that thread a bit, though I understood the desire to make the Qunari an antagonist.
DanielJr82
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:23 AM)
DanielJr82's Avatar
Don't want more Mage vs Templars BS.
CartridgeBlower
Member
(08-14-2012, 09:27 AM)
They are not focus testing the story, they are focus testing what to highlight of the game's story when they market the game.

All companies do this. It's not new.
ComputerMKII
Banned
(08-14-2012, 09:47 AM)

Originally Posted by subversus

the fact that they focus test the story and characters is enough for me to skip the game.

bye!

I couldn't have said it better.

Thread Tools