• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age 3 details leak through survey [Up: Lots of info/character art]

SerRodrik

Dragon Age 2 got a lot of hate and rightly so in terms of production values, but the premise of the game wasn't bad at all. It had some genuinely fresh and interesting elements which sadly got drowned under Bioware's shoddy production. With that in mind, I am optimistic for the quality of Dragon Age 3. I highly doubt that Bioware would do the same mistakes twice. Other mistakes sure, but not the same ones.

I'm not entirely sure about that.

Possible names for Dragon Age 3:
HxB61.png

Choices:
The Breach
Exarch
Inquisition
Inquisitor
Apocrypha

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
So I can be a mage, rogue OR warrior?

What an age we live in.
You know, honestly I'd be ok if they just dictated "you're gonna be class X" and eschew all the shit attempts at balance, because they're really shit attempts at balance.

Dragon Age 2 got a lot of hate and rightly so in terms of production values, but the premise of the game wasn't bad at all. It had some genuinely fresh and interesting elements which sadly got drowned under Bioware's shoddy production.

This is why I'm pissed the most. In the age of every RPG making you "from rags to riches" hero this one had a different promise - you knew you are going to end up the most powerful person in DA2, not see how you got there. I love games like that, because they remind me of PS:T. Fuck, Summoner's ending blew my mind when I played it in the 1990s.

But no, they had to screw this up.

Glad to know there's someone manipulating the events.. wouldn't want for there to be some nuance! Granted, some people really hated Dragon Age 2's story for its non-epic focus, rather than for the fact that it was messily put together, so I can understand BioWare wanting to play it safer.

Assuming this is true (but heck, even if it isn't) I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Patryn

Given that I have a feeling that Bioware's brand is practically riding on this title, I don't blame them for market researching the shit out of this game. Especially after DA2.

delirium

Bethesda

and well, Bohemia Interactive

The Quality Assurance Director is also responsible for managing and hiring testing staff, supervising product test plans, requisitioning hardware, working with external testing and customer support vendors and working with various production staff in coordination of testing cycles and focus testing.
http://www.creativeheads.net/job/3574/quality-assurance-director-in-rockville

Our focus-group testing, directed by QA lead, LukᚠHaládik, helped to reveal some risks. Some players felt the support of a 'real' instructor added a lot to the experience; others weren't comfortable processing instructions at the same time as keeping the bird airborne. To mitigate this, we made a couple of design decisions.
http://www.bistudio.com/index.php/company/developers-blog/263

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Most likely gameplay. Bethesda said they are against focus testing their games. Even CD Projekt focus test their stuff (story included) but they do this to iron out issues. They won't do some shameless stuff presented in this thread. Bioware games of late felt heavily focus tested. These surveys just confirm what I feel.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Most likely gameplay. Bethesda said they are against focus testing their games. Even CD Projekt focus test their stuff (story included) but they do this to iron out issues. They won't do some shameless stuff presented in this thread. Bioware games of late felt heavily focus tested. These surveys just confirm what I feel.

While they might focus test their plotlines, a survey this late in the cycle implies a marketing survey to focus on what people find attractive.

They certainly could have had earlier ones when things were unlikely to be revealed in like a month or two, but for this one in particular, it is kind of late for that.

LTWheels

Just sounds like they are rehashing the same story, again and again. Replace the names of the organisations and it can be the plot to DA:O Or Mass Effect 2/3.

IoCaster

DICE 2012: Culture, pride lead to success at Skyrim maker Bethesda

Howard revealed that Bethesda did not focus-test Skyrim at all, essentially making a game for themselves. The 100-person team started playing the game very early on in development, and very often, and started giving feedback.

EDIT: Just to get on topic. I agree with some of the comments about the Templar vs Mage focus. I'm simply not invested in the setting or that conflict at all. It's a shame in the sense that I really enjoyed DA:O, but have been driven away from the franchise by the direction the team is taking the series.

Trigger

While they might focus test their plotlines, a survey this late in the cycle implies a marketing survey to focus on what people find attractive.

They certainly could have had earlier ones when things were unlikely to be revealed in like a month or two, but for this one in particular, it is kind of late for that.

I think this is what survey was really for. Dragon Age II's marketing was an absolute mess. They clearly didn't know how they wanted to market the game.

Lots of stupid names for it, why not just Dragon Age 3 and be done with it?

I'm guessing they heard the feedback after Dragon Age 2 where many people said they maybe wouldn't have been as down on Dragon Age 2 if it wasn't named Dragon Age 2 but rather something like Dragon Age: Kirkwall.

Which potentially misses the point- people seemed to say they'd have been more ok with something called Dragon Age: Kirkwall implying it wouldn't have been a full fledged sequel to Origins but more of a spinoff game. If DA3 is indeed a fully realized game and not a rush job like DA2 was, then slapping an extra subtitle on it might be unnecessary. Especially with how goofy most of those proposed ones sound.

I think this is what survey was really for. Dragon Age II's marketing was an absolute mess. They clearly didn't know how they wanted to market the game.

BUTTON AWESOME.

SerRodrik

I'm guessing they heard the feedback after Dragon Age 2 where many people said they maybe wouldn't have been as down on Dragon Age 2 if it wasn't named Dragon Age 2 but rather something like Dragon Age: Kirkwall.

Which potentially misses the point- people seemed to say they'd have been more ok with something called Dragon Age: Kirkwall implying it wouldn't have been a full fledged sequel to Origins but more of a spinoff game. If DA3 is indeed a fully realized game and not a rush job like DA2 was, then slapping an extra subtitle on it might be unnecessary. Especially with how goofy most of those proposed ones sound.

Bioware, miss the point of criticism? Never.

According to this poster at BioWare Social, he ended up getting another version of the survey, with it slightly different than before.

The poster over there had the survey in German so he tried translating it as best he could. The plot synopsis:
"A portal between the worlds unleashes hords of demons in the land, civil wars rip apart nations and the corruption is limitless. Someone is behind the shadows, drawing the threads which destroy the world. Time has come for the Inquisition.

Take the Inquisitor's cloak and lead the only force able of bringing light into the darkness. Choose the direct method and gather your armies, send spies into the shadows or engage in a political war, make friends and use your connections indirectly: it is up to you how you lead the inquisition. But you'll have to take lead of it from the beginning. Make your player a rogue, warrior or mage and set up your crew from up to ten (!) complex companions to lead them against those who attack you by systematically spying on, revealing and destroying them."

Some other points asked about in the survey according to the poster on BSN:
Also, a few things I remembered from the questions (the ones about what possible elements of DA3 you would prefer):

- online/coop modus (really Bioware? Because that worked so well with ME3? :/ )
- special finishing moves
- a lot of crucial decisions
- drama and suspense
- player-controlled day/night modus
- better party management
- 4 companions at a time

to make this clear, it wasn't outright saying that those things were in the game, it was just hinting at it

Concept art of possible companion characters:
bild2sd.jpg

bild4u.jpg

bild3ed.jpg

bild5df.jpg

So that looks like Cassandra from DA2 and Cullen the templar from Origins and DA2 are probable companions.

DTKT

Looks good so far. But every design doc looks good.

I want them to create a good inventory/gear system. None of that simplified and limited stuff from DAII.

Goldrush

The third set are too similar to be companions. They're probably the default main characters.

I forget in Dragon Age II,
did Justice died? The whole inquisition would fit in with the whole twisted Justice concept from II.

Mxrz

They're determined to ride the Templar/Mage bullshit to the grave. At this point, the setting just seems so shallow. Like there's nothing else in it. One of the reasons I liked DA2 was the way it broke away from that crap for the first few chapters, or at least put it aside. Being a normal adventurer trying to make a buck was awfully nice for a change. But then the third chapter hit and spoiled the whole thing.

Ah well. If Isabella or Varric are in it, I'll buy after a price drop or wait for the dlc edition. Either way, meh.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Recruit Factions and People To Do a Thing: A BioWare Production

Honestly I like the formula a whole lot.

If it wasn't for the reused assets and the last 10% I would have liked Dragon age 2 as much if not more than DA1.

If it wasn't for shitty magic space kid and the last 5% I would have LOVED Mass Effect 3.

I really like the artwork. Oh, and the Cullen shot looks fishy.

I think they just photoshopped Cullen's head in there. It doesn't seem to be drawn. Which I guess makes sense if the focus is on his outfit.

Looks good so far. But every design doc looks good.

I want them to create a good inventory/gear system. None of that simplified and limited stuff from DAII.

Yeah... some of the things rumored in that survey sound promising, but DA2 had soooooo many problems. I don't really trust BioWare and the Dragon Age team to necessarily translate a nifty sounding design doc/marketing synopsis into a great game. I don't necessarily know that Mike Laidlaw is that great of a lead designer.

freddy

Banned
Bioware social says this game will stink yet again without me even looking at anything else. More than likely a pass for me again.

SerRodrik

Online/Coop? Yeah, that's what Dragon Age 2 was missing. That's why everyone hated it, right? How about you fix the old ways that the series was fucked up before finding all new ways to fuck it up?

Some of the stuff in the doc sounds interesting, but I have no faith in Bioware to actually deliver anymore.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah... some of the things rumored in that survey sound promising, but DA2 had soooooo many problems. I don't really trust BioWare and the Dragon Age team to necessarily translate a nifty sounding design doc/marketing synopsis into a great game. I don't necessarily know that Mike Laidlaw is that great of a lead designer.

Well, we should find out momentarily.

The last two times EA put out these surveys, the game was unveiled within a month.

Zaventem

This game is gonna be terrible and get rated harsher even if it's better because critics gave a free pass to DA2 and they'll most likely own up to it.See FF13 and FF 13-2

Kacho

This company seems lost. They're at the mercy of both the fans and the publisher. No matter who they try to please, they lose.

inky

With the terrible console focus the series has fallen into, there's no way the in-game assets are going to live to that concept art, which I must admit I like a lot. If the bows in the game have bowstrings that should be considered a victory.

Not a lot more I can add to this thread, sorry...

Top Bottom