• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFS Most Wanted Vita - Developed by Criterion, not dumbed down or cut content

Spiegel

VITA_NFSMW13scrn_gallery_post.jpg

VITA_OUTRUN_COPS_gallery_post.jpg

iP58UZKwDJV4x.JPG

Incredibly, the Vita version of Need for Speed: Most Wanted is essentially the same as the PS3 and Xbox 360 games. “Everything from what we the ‘TV game’ is here on the small screen,” he announces. And when he says everything, he means it – every highway, back street, bridge and tunnel. All of the cars, the meet-ups, the challenges and the drive-through garages – they’re all in the game, and importantly they haven’t been cut down or changed to fit the Vita.

“This is pretty much the PS3 version of the game shoehorned onto Vita very tightly,” he continues. “This is a very technically ambitious thing to do - there aren’t any open-world games on Vita so far. To keep the world the same, to not make any compromises – that’s what we’ve done.”

Multiplayer will be fully supported, with all of the modes and challenges making the jump onto Sony’s handheld.

While some developers outsource handheld versions of big franchises to enable them to focus on the home console versions, it’s a testament to Criterion’s commitment that it kept the project to itself. “It would’ve been really easy to do Vita out of house,” says Ward. “We did that on some of our previous games. But when I saw the specs for the Vita, I knew we had to do it.”

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/15/need-for-speed-most-wanted-vitas-hidden-gem

I'm pleasantly surprised considering the lack of media and the general opinion of the Vita from EA.

GeoramA

Thank god.

Criterion, Guerrilla, Media Molecule...these are the developers I want on Vita. Enough of the B-team shit.

Kerub

Banned
Sweet, I've been waiting for a good arcade racer on Vita. Motorstorm arctic edge will hold me over until then.

Iacobellis

This could give us a good idea on how Grand Theft Auto would work on the Vita. Of course, replace the cars with pedestrians.

ToD_

Seems like the perfect game to play in short bursts. If it turns out as good as they're making it sound, I'll definitely pick it up!

“Everything from what we the ‘TV game’ is here on the small screen. Multiplayer will be fully supported, with all of the modes and challenges making the jump onto Sony’s handheld."

I love you Criterion. I really do. I also heard you are looking into Cross-buy. Please do. I'll love you even more.

I am intrigued and look forward to seeing how far they get ... If they do well, then that will help a lot of other EA titles probably. ;)

I played Liberation on Vita today, and that looked very promising as well. It's the real deal.

Wasn't it Criterion who gave us the excellent (albeit not as full featured) burnout games on PSP?

If so, yea they are getting me monies.

btkadams

wow, day one! i already have the ps3 version preordered, so i will be very stoked if you end up getting the vita version for free.

criterion rocks.

If you put so much effort into getting the home console version to work on a handheld, it seems the obvious next step to get cross play running... is there a significant technical hurdle to overcome there? I mean, it's definitely possible - Wipeout 2048 and HD play nicely together...

Top Bottom